Infamous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Infamous Reviews

April 25, 2017
A much better film than Capote.
½ February 7, 2017
Worst movie ever hatted capote in this film i could not even stand to watch it becouse of his acting it was aweful
U
½ December 18, 2016
Truman Capote's character is very well done by Toby Jones. Daniel Craig is not a very fitting actor for the portrayal of Perry Smith. Craig lacks the sensitivity of an artist and a broken person.
December 13, 2016
Here's a diamond in the rough,i've seen Capote w/ Phillip Seymour Hoffman & it's great! until i seen this gem, can't believe i've not heard of this before as it has a huge cast of big celebrities, i found Infamous a better movie than Capote overall as Toby Jones did a fantastic job playing Truman Capote & story gave some more insight to the characters & makes me want to read the book In Cold Blood, which Capote never made me want to do after watching that film.
December 5, 2016
Toby Jones is truly great here, even though overshadowed by Philip Seymour Hoffman's fantastic performance in the far superior Capote (the comparison is inevitable), but this film suffers from many terrible documentary-like statements that explain what we can easily see.
November 17, 2016
A great movie. The cast was amazing in their performances and the story was told very well.
November 12, 2016
Toby Jones is extremely convincing as Capote, and Daniel Craig gives feelings to his character, which enables us to sympathize with him just as the writer does. It raises some ambiguous question about the writing process and inspiration, and I found the structure of the movie interesting.
August 8, 2016
Couldn't watch beyond first 30 mins. Was enjoying Toby Jones's portrayal but I've never known a movie to chop and change so much. So many short scenes and changes of setting! Including interviews/talking heads, in this case for some as yet unexplained reason, all in the same setting! Were they for TV? Seemed they were being named for us, not some TV audience. Confusing. And who were these people anyhow? In some cases the names didn't help at all! Must say, all that attempt at "sophistication" gave me the irrits anyhow. Maybe these were the true characters of Capote's society. Did it improve?
I also find it hard to fathom the eternal interest in In Cold Blood. Capote did not invent True Crime nor the non-fiction "novel". Maybe it is though amongst the best of its genre.
February 3, 2016
The comparison of "Infamous" to the slightly superior "Capote" is unavoidable, as they are about the same man and were released nearly back-to-back. While the Philip Seymour Hoffman film is positively fantastic, that doesn't mean that this film isn't. What we get here is another fine portrayal of Truman Capote from the always-reliable Toby Jones, who also has the benefit of looking like Capote. His performance is a bit more showy, I'd say, but nonetheless it plays well. The only real problem here is the casting of Sandra Bullock, who pales in comparison to Catherine Keener as Harper Lee. The film also gives us more information, which wasn't necessarily needed, but does add some insight into the late writer and his relationship with Perry Smith, one of the two murderers who were the subject of his "In Cold Blood". I say see them both and be well-informed, as both pictures are fantastic pieces of work.
December 15, 2015
Toby Jones certainly is well cast. He is the living embodiment of Truman Capote. He, however is about the overall delivery of the film. I prefer the other film "Capote" in comparison.
June 20, 2015
I watched part of the other bio. with Phillip Seymour Hoffman, didn't like it. But this version is very good. With a great cast, including Sandra Bullock, Daniel Craig, Gweneth Patrow, and Jeff Daniels. Well made about a little man with a big talent!
June 5, 2015
A powerful Jones leads an all-round good film!
March 15, 2015
True story of Truman Copote's writing of "In Cold Blood". Uncomfortable subject matter, kind of strange.
February 19, 2015
Another tour-de-force performance from chameleon like character actor Toby Jones and a RARE decent bit of acting from Daniel Craig. Interesting and compelling.
½ January 25, 2015
He even looked like Truman Capote, uncanny
½ December 8, 2014
What struck me most about this film was Daniel Craig's performance. It was an interesting twist to have Capote and Smith love each other.
October 21, 2014
Very interesting and tough well acted, I don't think it's as well made as Capote.
September 29, 2014
Though it does suffer from comparisons to 2005's better Capote, this is a solid stand alone film. I think Toby Jones did a good job as well as Sandra Bullcok. This was Daniel Criag's most impressive performance and his scenes with Jones are really great. Lee Pace is excellent in his role and Sigourney Weaver has a great small role. The score and the writing are great as well
September 13, 2014
OTRA VERSION DE CAPOTE INTERESANTE
½ August 21, 2014
The subject matter is definitely worthy of a feature film, but as it turns out, two feature films may have been overkill and a tad excessive. "Infamous" is the lesser of the two Truman Capote pictures, both released less than a year apart, and this is destined to always live in the shadows of the marvelous achievement that was "Capote".

This is by no means a bad film, and had it been the only one being released dealing with this material, it may in fact have garnered more attention and respect. As it stands, it's a pale and shallow also-ran, touching on a lot of interesting ideas but never delving deep into any one of them.

Toby Jones is certainly quirky enough as the unusual author, but you never really see anything more than just the quirks. Obviously a much more complex relationship develops between him and the Death Row inmate played by a nearly unrecognizable Daniel Craig, but screenwriter and director Douglas McGrath is more to blame than the actor playing him. He genuinely cares about Craig, but place him back on Park Avenue and he comes off as manipulating and only concerned with turning out a quality novel. That contradiction is never balanced satisfactorily.

"Infamous" is a noble yet shallow picture that seems all too intent on justifying its very existence. Jones is not nearly good enough to make you forget Philip Seymour Hoffman's Oscar winning performance in the same role a mere eleven months earlier.