Infamous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Infamous Reviews

August 8, 2016
Couldn't watch beyond first 30 mins. Was enjoying Toby Jones's portrayal but I've never known a movie to chop and change so much. So many short scenes and changes of setting! Including interviews/talking heads, in this case for some as yet unexplained reason, all in the same setting! Were they for TV? Seemed they were being named for us, not some TV audience. Confusing. And who were these people anyhow? In some cases the names didn't help at all! Must say, all that attempt at "sophistication" gave me the irrits anyhow. Maybe these were the true characters of Capote's society. Did it improve?
I also find it hard to fathom the eternal interest in In Cold Blood. Capote did not invent True Crime nor the non-fiction "novel". Maybe it is though amongst the best of its genre.
February 3, 2016
The comparison of "Infamous" to the slightly superior "Capote" is unavoidable, as they are about the same man and were released nearly back-to-back. While the Philip Seymour Hoffman film is positively fantastic, that doesn't mean that this film isn't. What we get here is another fine portrayal of Truman Capote from the always-reliable Toby Jones, who also has the benefit of looking like Capote. His performance is a bit more showy, I'd say, but nonetheless it plays well. The only real problem here is the casting of Sandra Bullock, who pales in comparison to Catherine Keener as Harper Lee. The film also gives us more information, which wasn't necessarily needed, but does add some insight into the late writer and his relationship with Perry Smith, one of the two murderers who were the subject of his "In Cold Blood". I say see them both and be well-informed, as both pictures are fantastic pieces of work.
December 15, 2015
Toby Jones certainly is well cast. He is the living embodiment of Truman Capote. He, however is about the overall delivery of the film. I prefer the other film "Capote" in comparison.
October 24, 2015
Toby Jones is truly great here, though overshadowed by Philip Seymour Hoffman's fantastic performance in the far superior Capote - with which the comparisons are inevitable. But this film suffers from many terrible documentary-like statements that explain what we can easily see.
June 20, 2015
I watched part of the other bio. with Phillip Seymour Hoffman, didn't like it. But this version is very good. With a great cast, including Sandra Bullock, Daniel Craig, Gweneth Patrow, and Jeff Daniels. Well made about a little man with a big talent!
June 5, 2015
A powerful Jones leads an all-round good film!
March 15, 2015
True story of Truman Copote's writing of "In Cold Blood". Uncomfortable subject matter, kind of strange.
February 19, 2015
Another tour-de-force performance from chameleon like character actor Toby Jones and a RARE decent bit of acting from Daniel Craig. Interesting and compelling.
½ January 25, 2015
He even looked like Truman Capote, uncanny
½ December 8, 2014
What struck me most about this film was Daniel Craig's performance. It was an interesting twist to have Capote and Smith love each other.
October 21, 2014
Very interesting and tough well acted, I don't think it's as well made as Capote.
September 29, 2014
Though it does suffer from comparisons to 2005's better Capote, this is a solid stand alone film. I think Toby Jones did a good job as well as Sandra Bullcok. This was Daniel Criag's most impressive performance and his scenes with Jones are really great. Lee Pace is excellent in his role and Sigourney Weaver has a great small role. The score and the writing are great as well
September 13, 2014
½ August 21, 2014
The subject matter is definitely worthy of a feature film, but as it turns out, two feature films may have been overkill and a tad excessive. "Infamous" is the lesser of the two Truman Capote pictures, both released less than a year apart, and this is destined to always live in the shadows of the marvelous achievement that was "Capote".

This is by no means a bad film, and had it been the only one being released dealing with this material, it may in fact have garnered more attention and respect. As it stands, it's a pale and shallow also-ran, touching on a lot of interesting ideas but never delving deep into any one of them.

Toby Jones is certainly quirky enough as the unusual author, but you never really see anything more than just the quirks. Obviously a much more complex relationship develops between him and the Death Row inmate played by a nearly unrecognizable Daniel Craig, but screenwriter and director Douglas McGrath is more to blame than the actor playing him. He genuinely cares about Craig, but place him back on Park Avenue and he comes off as manipulating and only concerned with turning out a quality novel. That contradiction is never balanced satisfactorily.

"Infamous" is a noble yet shallow picture that seems all too intent on justifying its very existence. Jones is not nearly good enough to make you forget Philip Seymour Hoffman's Oscar winning performance in the same role a mere eleven months earlier.
½ August 6, 2014
"Infamous" has a sharp angle of approach in detailing the story of its subject and the result is a heartbreaking and multi-layered film that treats its material sensitively.
August 2, 2014
wow....fantastic....amazing......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that toby jones, sandra bullock, daniel craig, sigourney weaver, gwyneth paltrow, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......

According to writer/director Douglas McGrath in his DVD commentary, many of the scenes in Infamous, most notably a dramatic sexual encounter between Capote and inmate Perry Smith (played by Craig), occurred only in McGrath's imagination.

The film's original title alternated between Have You Heard? and Every Word Is True.

The singer portrayed by Gwyneth Paltrow originally was intended to be Peggy Lee. The situation of an audience being held spellbound by a performer falling silent in the middle of a song was based on a real-life nightclub performance by Barbara Cook.

i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is so really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.....

Toby Jones won the London Film Critics Circle Award for British Actor of the Year. He also won the Best Actor Award at the Ibiza International Film Festival. Daniel Craig was nominated for the Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actor but lost to Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch.....i think that both Lee Pace as Richard Hickock, Daniel Craig as Perry Smith, were absolutley fantastic throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch
½ July 17, 2014
I actually liked this movie (mostly bcause it had alot to do with a autobiography n it) but also bcause u got to know more of the character of the man who was writin' the autobiography,too. What I didn't like about it was bcause of all of the gayness in it, I thought that they could take away alot of that from the movie and I also didn't like how Sandra's character wasn't n it as much as some of her other movies,too. In the movie, it felt like her character was more shy,distant and didn't wanna b part of the spotlight of Capote's did drag abit too much but it was a good movie,tho. Just not 1 of Sandra's best,I thought.
May 31, 2014
A very funny, entertaining and surprising movie. Sad and realistic ending. Loved it.
April 5, 2014
Very good movie. I finally saw it today, looking for a free movie to watch On Demand. Better than CAPOTE. It delved into more of the characters than CAPOTE did. Very poignant - looking at the humanity behind cold-blooded killers - and the writer of the book about them that gets to know them.
March 14, 2014
Went to the premiere at the London Film Festival. It was very good, but having not seen Capote, I can't tell you if its better. But I really enjoyed it and there are some great performances, especially from Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock and Daniel Craig. Expect Oscar nominations!