Inherent Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inherent Vice Reviews

December 1, 2017
I Think You Can Tell PT-Anderson Wrote This Over A Number Of Heavy Drinking-Weedbake Sessions & Tied It All Together With A Few Key Scenes. All Very Reminiscent Of Pulp Fiction. He Has Called In A Few Much-Loved Actors Of His (Owen & Joanquin) To Carry The Weight Of A Very Long Piece Of Cinema, Added In A Few Clever Musical Numbers, Referenced History & Culture Clashes Of The Late 60s & 70s..Put It All Together & Hopes It Works. It Kinda Does, Kinda Doesn't, But Will Entertain You & Not Totally Bore You. If You Can Let Go Of The Messy Script Writing That Is.
½ November 9, 2017
A highly stylized 1970s period-ambiance, tantalizing camera work, and a talented and fully dedicated cast, save this ambitious director's humorous noir mystery from all of its flaws. Paul Thomas Anderson's direction is surely diligent, as always. But the runtime is far too lengthy and feels even longer, thanks to an incoherent screenplay that piles on more and more plot elements with each scene, without ever letting itself take a moment to breath. This makes it nearly impossible to follow for anyone who has not read the novel. But for something that will be difficult for many to comprehend, it is entertaining to watch and holds viewers' attention. Pheonix is also as good as ever and is very winning as a stoner/private eye. The same goes for Brolin as a hot-headed detective.
½ November 3, 2017
I am a massive fan of Paul Thomas Anderson, I have seen many of his films, (Magnolia and There Will Be Blood being the best of the bunch) they are very ambitious, normally with a vast array of characters and with many different stories to tell, which may in fact not be that different after all. Inherent Vice is no different. It follows a pot smoking private eye named Doc (Joaquin Phoenix) who is looking into disappearance of his ex-girlfriend and her rich developer lover, but that's not all as along the way he runs into foreign drug cartels, government informants and very curious rehab program. If this sounds confusing and convoluted that because it is. There are some interesting relationships and some very entertaining and elaborate scenes but this movie is way to jammed full of plot for its own good. There's good performances (from Phoenix and Josh Brolin in particular) but PTA's drug fuelled neo-noir is just like getting high, it's fun while its happening but after it's over you start to wonder what exactly just happened.
½ October 2, 2017
Beautifully weird.........
September 17, 2017
Eu não tenho certeza se eu vi ou não esse filme
August 18, 2017
Yeah, no. Just kind of a dog's breakfast of drifting, marginally connected stuff, delivered in uneven tones. I love Joaquin Phoenix. The movie is not poorly made or staged by P.T. Anderson. I want to like it and have given it a second viewing now. But no, it is just an exercise in throwing spaghetti at the wall.
4.9 out of 10
½ August 15, 2017
Not P.T. s best film, but still a psychedelic and well acted stoner flick that seems to meander in such a way that we can't help but enjoy it...
August 12, 2017
Excellent movie. While the plot might be a little convoluted to follow for those unfamiliar with the source material (i.e. Me), it's as the saying goes: "It's the journey, not the destination." Paul Thomas Anderson takes audiences on a visceral and psychedelic journey through LA in the '70s with three intriguing interconnected mysteries, a slew of colorfully captivating characters, beautifully stylish direction and fantastic performances from its ensemble cast, especially Phoenix, Waterston, Brolin, Newsom and Del Toro.
July 14, 2017
This movie is basically Raymond Chandlers The Big Sleep meets The Big Lebowski all wrapped in a PTA film.
½ July 12, 2017
Glorious. Take your time
June 30, 2017
Could not get into this movie at all except for a few scenes. It was putting me to sleep and I watched about 1/3 of it at 1.5x fast forward on my PS3. Boring. Made no sense. Main character is a dirt bag.
June 26, 2017
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time As Well.
½ June 25, 2017
Fucking Hilarious and Amazing.... But you wouldn't enjoy or know anything about that would you now?
½ June 13, 2017
I guess this is mumblecore? Mostly incoherent, overly long, overly complex, overly verbose and mostly just odd. Weird movie.
June 7, 2017
Too much and not enough.
½ June 5, 2017
Sort of a confused hazy mess. Fun start, a middle section that damn near put me to sleep, and a decent finale. It made me wish I still smoked pot, I might have given it a higher rating if I had viewed it while baked.
½ June 4, 2017
The journey is the destination on this one. But I kept craving a tangible plot the entire time. Just not my cup of tea even with all of the talented actors portraying unique and interesting characters. Sure, I'd get sucked in on a few scenes, but the rest of the time I was just bored, thinking about There will Be Blood and The Master.
½ May 29, 2017
When we naturally see things when we hallucinate and are high all the time. When we are not the only ones who see things when the world is full of strange cases. When what we see is not exactly what we see when we are undercover. When somethings we see are too much for us to handle when its out of this world. When other things we see don't bother us when we end up in strange places.
May 27, 2017
Skip this movie, too long, gross and overly disjoint
This movie is highly disjoint and very staccato in the way it comes across. It is supposed to depict 1970 and has some film noir style but doesn't depict any 1970 I remember. There are some real gross scenes and language. My mother in law walked out of the movie 20 minutes into it. My father in law walked out to join her 20 minutes later. My partner who picked the movie fell asleep with 30 minutes to go. This is a longgg movie, almost 2.5 hours. Most great film noir movies are 90 minutes top as it is tough to sustain "Dark" much longer. Also factually, it promotes a type of Los Angeles that didn't exist in those days. In this Los Angeles, there is heavy integration, with a black secretary, remember how big it was that Mannix the tv show had a black secretary in those days, and asians throughout. But Asian integration wasn't wide spread in those days.

Also, I'm not sure PT Anderson is that gifted a film director. Boogie Nights was a great movie, but Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love meandered and lost their way. The Master was an awful and ugly movie. There Will be Blood was overacted and had a ridiculously stupid ending. Maybe he is more PT Barnum than anything else.
½ May 21, 2017