Inherent Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inherent Vice Reviews

July 14, 2017
This movie is basically Raymond Chandlers The Big Sleep meets The Big Lebowski all wrapped in a PTA film.
½ July 12, 2017
Glorious. Take your time
June 30, 2017
Could not get into this movie at all except for a few scenes. It was putting me to sleep and I watched about 1/3 of it at 1.5x fast forward on my PS3. Boring. Made no sense. Main character is a dirt bag.
June 26, 2017
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time As Well.
½ June 25, 2017
Fucking Hilarious and Amazing.... But you wouldn't enjoy or know anything about that would you now?
½ June 13, 2017
I guess this is mumblecore? Mostly incoherent, overly long, overly complex, overly verbose and mostly just odd. Weird movie.
June 7, 2017
Too much and not enough.
½ June 5, 2017
Sort of a confused hazy mess. Fun start, a middle section that damn near put me to sleep, and a decent finale. It made me wish I still smoked pot, I might have given it a higher rating if I had viewed it while baked.
½ June 4, 2017
The journey is the destination on this one. But I kept craving a tangible plot the entire time. Just not my cup of tea even with all of the talented actors portraying unique and interesting characters. Sure, I'd get sucked in on a few scenes, but the rest of the time I was just bored, thinking about There will Be Blood and The Master.
½ May 29, 2017
When we naturally see things when we hallucinate and are high all the time. When we are not the only ones who see things when the world is full of strange cases. When what we see is not exactly what we see when we are undercover. When somethings we see are too much for us to handle when its out of this world. When other things we see don't bother us when we end up in strange places.
May 27, 2017
Skip this movie, too long, gross and overly disjoint
This movie is highly disjoint and very staccato in the way it comes across. It is supposed to depict 1970 and has some film noir style but doesn't depict any 1970 I remember. There are some real gross scenes and language. My mother in law walked out of the movie 20 minutes into it. My father in law walked out to join her 20 minutes later. My partner who picked the movie fell asleep with 30 minutes to go. This is a longgg movie, almost 2.5 hours. Most great film noir movies are 90 minutes top as it is tough to sustain "Dark" much longer. Also factually, it promotes a type of Los Angeles that didn't exist in those days. In this Los Angeles, there is heavy integration, with a black secretary, remember how big it was that Mannix the tv show had a black secretary in those days, and asians throughout. But Asian integration wasn't wide spread in those days.

Also, I'm not sure PT Anderson is that gifted a film director. Boogie Nights was a great movie, but Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love meandered and lost their way. The Master was an awful and ugly movie. There Will be Blood was overacted and had a ridiculously stupid ending. Maybe he is more PT Barnum than anything else.
½ May 21, 2017
One of only 2 DVD's I have ever thrown out it was that bad
May 20, 2017
Not my kind of film - but acting was impressive though too much mumbling ...
April 6, 2017
A very long joke from the greatest director and greatest actor of our times. Sometimes funny, sometimes atmospheric, sometimes boring and tediously pointless.
March 10, 2017
"Inherent Vice" is as perfectly groovy a film noir as we're likely to see in a lifetime. P.T. Anderson has done it again.

Now, there will be people who say that this movie is horrible. I won't argue. There will be those who say this is the best film ever made. I won't argue with them either. Paul Thomas Anderson has never made films that are for the regular viewing audience, and as such he's never really had a film that everyone everywhere agrees on (the closest he's had thus far has been "Boogie Nights").

Me personally, I think he's wonderful filmmaker, and one of my absolute favorite artists working today. But he's not everyone's cup of tea. The same could be said about this film.

Film noir has always interested me in their use of shadow and atmosphere. What's interesting here is that Anderson flips the formula for how film noir is made. There's no heavy shadows or booze-addled detectives. Rather there's bright colors, a breazy and surreal atmosphere, and a cast of hilarious characters, including our hippie hero, Doc.
March 4, 2017
It's all over the place, but my god was it fun to watch!
February 7, 2017
Wants to be quirky and funny, but is mostly rather boring with a few amusing scenes. The druggy P.I.'s case is confusing and ultimately not particularly satisfying. At least a lot of stars move around in the picture, but even their good performances create very few memorable scenes or a coherent plot. Waterston sticks out with her performance, though.
February 3, 2017
"Paul Thomas Anderson Madness".
January 29, 2017
This film is witty, but not funny, action packed or adventurous. There are too many characters and subplots to keep up with.
½ January 15, 2017
A dull, boring, convoluted film from a cast and director that are usually outstanding.