Inherent Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inherent Vice Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
A dull, boring, convoluted film from a cast and director that are usually outstanding.
½ January 11, 2017
This was something we checked out via Netfux rental, as I'd been dying to see it but couldn't bring myself to pay the ridiculous pricing on it when it first hit Blu-ray.

Joaquin Phoenix plays a hippie private detective drawn into a convoluted mystery by an ex-girlfriend, which leaves him butting heads with Josh Brolin as a cartoonishly hard-assed police detective nicknamed 'Bigfoot'.

All in all, it's a fun ride and I would definitely suggest tracking it down.
½ January 2, 2017
This is a comedy detective movie about a hippie detective played by Joaquin Phoenix who I think resembles Joe Walsh in this. So it's OK I guess. The thing is I don't like detective movies and can't think of a single one of the genre that I ever liked. Well, I liked a couple of off-beat ones years ago (The Seven-Percent Solution and/or The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, not sure if both or which) but no telling what I would think of them now that I am generally unimpressed by movies.

This is from a novel by Thomas Pynchon. I tried and failed to read one of his things once, The Crying of Lot 49, or some such and didn't get very far with it thinking it "Hippie Lit" which is not my thing at all. But I know he's probably great. . .whatever.

Anyway. I watched thing in two different pieces and but by the last hour, it's rather long, was more interested in looking at Facebook on my phone than what was going on with the movie.

I think one would be much better off watching a good movie by this director and star, The Master. But who knows? Different people like different stuff and I notoriously don't like most stuff.
½ January 1, 2017
A cross between The Usual Suspects and The Big Lebowski. This one will take a few viewings. Some very hilarious moments. The scene with the pancakes.
December 10, 2016
4/5 Okay so maybe I didn't completely get the whole picture with this first viewing but I was certainly engaged and entertained the entire way through. Inherent Vice features great performances, some zany humour and a wonderful portrait of early 70s Los Angeles. Plus anything with Joanna Newsom is automatically worth checking out.
December 10, 2016
Not the best Paul Anderson movie but still a very interesting film.
Good acting and interesting story.
½ December 7, 2016
Normally I really like Paul Thomas Anderson films but this one had way to much going on and made me think of Magnolia because that was really bad.
½ December 5, 2016
The plot is overlong, extremely intricate - convoluted would be the exact word - and has way too many characters, but still this trippy private eye crime-comedy compensates for its flaws with a delicious, groovy '70s vibe, a great soundtrack and a hilarious dopehead humor.
November 22, 2016
A crushing disappointment considering the talent involved.
November 21, 2016
An absolutely insane film, an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's novel of the same name, "Inherent Vice" is painstakingly dialogue-rich and full of many off-the-wall characters. The viewer must pay close attention to every minute of the 2.5 hour flick to have even a hope of a chance to follow what is happening. I'm not sure anyone but Paul Thomas Anderson could have attempted this nutty story and extracted what I believe Thomas Pynchon intended to visually portray with his novel. While not near the top of one of PTA's best, it's definitely worth your time.
October 30, 2016
Addiction Inherent" is a marine insurance that is something that will inherently screw up, we can draw a parallel to Paul Thomas Anderson's films, you always know what is going to be great and you always know what will be the defects, here we follow the Larry's story "Doc" Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix) is a private detective who is hired to investigate the death of a billionaire, simple plot right ?, not actually the film has numerous secondary plots, which makes it very, very confused, what bothers you, but it also puts the vibe of the movie, which is all 70, and it looks like all the characters in the film are completely stoned and disoriented (neither the viewer will be), Joaquin Phoenix is ??a performance amazing, with a mixture of Vincent Vega Pulb Fiction and the Dude from the Big Lebowski, Phoenix has a flawless performance. And as I had already said in my introduction, we always know for what reasons Paul's films will stand out, and the picture is stamped figurine, a lot of that is thanks to Robert Elswit who is a director of incredible photography, and movies Paul are what they are, much thanks to him, here he leaves the completely 70 climate and the picture is colorful, vibrant, but always has a haze over overshadowing, paralleling the mystery and of course the drugs, which are used as water in the film, the soundtrack is also great, the music hardly for it increases, decreases, rings, but she is always present there, "Addiction Inherent" is the victim of its script and its rhythm, and its secondary performances are weak too, but gets away with a great assembly, photography and soundtrack.
½ October 27, 2016
At times this movie feels like it's going to break out and entertain, then the next scene happens, and it leaves you wishing that this was so much more.
October 19, 2016
A delirious multi-textured multi-character multi-plot film that revolves around drug-fuelled private investigator Larry 'Doc' Sportello in 1970s Los Angeles. This film is a unique blend of neo-noir, crime, comedy and drama making it a film that is hard to predict, hard to follow and surprising from start to finish.

It's logic is hard to follow and as a viewer you become more engaged in the main character's emotions and his spiritual journey than the narrative structure of the film. The Plot is deliberately disjointed which may loose some audience members, but it's worth sticking around for the performances of the cast, the engaging cinematography and Paul Thomas Anderson's direction.

Paul Thomas Anderson creates a thought-provoking and mesmerizing film with a distinctive atmosphere created through themes of paranoia and escapism. What stands out for me is the impressive dialogue and how it flows naturally with each conversation. Great writing, great direction and great performances from the main cast. In addition to this, Inherent Vice shows off a wide range of successful shots featuring a 'slow zoom' which makes each scene it's diploid in feel more personal, almost like you're there involved in the conversation yourself.

It's a film left open to interpretation and my understanding is that it is a film about the emotions of the main character, not the events that occur and it's a film that's meant to be experienced, not understood.
½ October 15, 2016
Maybe i need to see it again to get all the jokes and nuances i missed but im not really motivated to.
October 8, 2016
An Intense, intriguing and hilarious piece of nonsense.
With strong performances from the whole cast and amazing costumes and photography, this movie rewards those viewers who can enjoy an experience without necessary expecting full meaning and coherence.
½ September 28, 2016
Ridiculously Stupid 70s detective type film that makes no sense. I had to pause it half way threw too take a nap. Woke up too watch the rest and it was even worse but It does have a great soundtrack.
September 27, 2016
Disappointing and hard to follow as the script is unintelligible and the events incoherent. With its cast ensemble of Hollywood A listers, Inherent Vice is as dis satisfactory as it is unnecessary.
½ August 27, 2016
Though some might dig it's psychedelic noir style, groovy tunes, random humor and top-notch performances from it's all star cast, others might get detached by it's clumsy and non-coherent plot.
August 26, 2016
Most of the positive critics are heavily qualified; and all of them seem to be in love with Paul Anderson.