Inherent Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inherent Vice Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
Though some might dig it's psychedelic noir style, groovy tunes, random humor and top-notch performances from it's all star cast, others might get detached by it's clumsy and non-coherent plot.
August 26, 2016
Most of the positive critics are heavily qualified; and all of them seem to be in love with Paul Anderson.
August 26, 2016
Good acting is on display in this film, especially by Joquanin Pheonix and Josh Brolin. Aside from that, an incoherent and confusing plot is what drags this movie down. There are plenty of good actors here, but the Vice seems more concerned with their stories rather than making a movie that makes sense.
August 26, 2016
A well acted incoherent mess.
August 20, 2016
It's a movie you need to let wash over you. The end of the 60's in America was a very dark time. So I have learned.
½ August 17, 2016
Hidastempoinen ja ylipitkä.
August 17, 2016
I'm guessing library rentals all suck
August 16, 2016
At a running time of 2 1/2 hrs. this trip into the 70's California hippy , drug culture by way of a rambling private eye story is way too long. Given Joaquin Phoenix's often strange behavior his casting as the lead is perfect as he probably just had to show up on set. Reminds me of The Big Sleep in that there is a huge cast of eccentric characters and most of the plot remains unresolved. Lots of star cameos. The movie is most notable for reminding everyone that the 70's was the worst decade for fashion and popular culture and that it was still possible to live in a cheap shack by the beach.
August 10, 2016
Only liked Joaquin Phoenix but a strange caracter , all the rest i could'nt put a knot hanging on tight !
August 3, 2016
A complex movie just for the sake of being complex and incoherent. If you're an avid movie watcher, like myself, you study the dialogue, the characters, and the screen for what's going on. In this, it's a whirlwind of bending connections that matter (or don't matter) and you never are truly interested enough to see it all get resolved. Mr. Anderson has always pushed the envelope on clever and/or unique stories. I'm just not ready or entertained enough by something like this film. Great cast though. Loved everything about it- except it. Rating: 6.75 / 10
July 31, 2016
Slow moving story. Felt as if I needed to have read the book to get a true understanding of the characters. Beautifully shot, loved the style.
July 30, 2016
Pretty much garbage. It's basically a wanna be The Dude story ripoff that isn't very funny. Watch The Big Lebowski instead.
½ July 28, 2016
Easily one of my top five least favorite movies of all time. Along with my admission, can I please get my 2.5 hours of my life back??! I promise I won't waste it like this movie did ??
July 25, 2016
****
It may be hard to follow, but I found Inherent Vice to be a truly enchanting experience.
July 24, 2016
I remember the trailer for this being quirky and different, with a good cast. It was actually quite boring. The quirky bits almost felt improvised. Maybe I didn't get it because I'm not a stoner...
July 17, 2016
Unfortunately there are movies that you just have to give up on and this is one of them. Anderson outthinks himself in creating a pile of nonesense that leads nowhere.
July 9, 2016
Crazy bum story in the 60s. Similar to Le Big Lebowski but less sensical and more complex. A bit absurd and a bit comedic at times. I found it long and could not continue to watch at regular speed.
½ July 8, 2016
The mood and dialogue is a very funny satire of private eye movies as well as the Big Lebowski. However, like a lot of the private eye movies it mimics, the plot was too complex for me to follow. This is a really weird movie with a lot of strange characters, that could've been great if they dumbed down the plot.
July 8, 2016
it's different to say the least. Maybe take a hit of LSD before watching. Nicely written though. Good try. just didn't do it for me.
½ June 23, 2016
Bizarre and hard to follow, though leads give good performances and the soundtrack is great. Many scenes feel offensive for the sake of offensiveness.