Reviews

• Sep 02, 2021

I usually disdain the overly "artistic" film, but Allen proves you can pull it off if the characters are interesting enough.

• Apr 13, 2021

This is a sad story of how a person can be torn apart by mental illness. I feel Interior touches on the concept that sometimes mental illness cannot be fixed no matter how hard you try. A person is just too broken. It also show how a broken person can effect so many lives. No happy endings here.

• Feb 13, 2021

Interesting film and plot. A group of people who is not able to manage his own feelings or know how to deal with other's.

• Jan 01, 2021

Pour la première fois de sa carrière, Woody Allen n'utilise pas son talent indéniable pour les dialogues à des desseins comiques mais pour conter de manière triste l'histoire d'une famille dysfonctionnelle. En résulte 90 minutes déprimantes où le climax enchaîne dépression, abandon, viol et inceste. De cette maîtrise du dialogue, Allen en tire un film passionnant, vraiment déprimant mais surtout irrésistiblement intéressant. Diane Keaton brille de mille feux tandis que ses collègues sont au diapason. On n'attendait pas ça de la part du réalisateur de Love and Death mais le spectateur ne peut sentir que sa pleine mesure ici. Interiors est un film sec, froid, doté d'une émotion qu'on ne pouvait sentir poindre auparavant. Interiors est un film fantastique.

• Jul 15, 2020

An uninteresting mess, a bit better than most Allen films.

An uninteresting mess, a bit better than most Allen films.

• Apr 25, 2020

It had promise that got too depressing.

It had promise that got too depressing.

• Apr 04, 2020

Woody Allen imitates Bergman, and makes an actress imitate Diane Keaton while Keaton is in front. Less deep than a follower of conventions of that time.

• Feb 08, 2020

"Interiors" will always be known as Woody Allen's first "serious" movie, as in non-comedy, and dramatic, it is. After their three girls are raised, a well-mannered business father (E.G. Marshall) proposes a trial separation from his fragile, unstable wife of many years (portrayed brilliantly by Geraldine Page), placing their artistically-inclined, oft-frustrated daughters to choose sides. Diane Keaton and Mary Beth Hurt are particularly affecting as rival sisters, and a younger Sam Waterson (pre-Law & Order) is striking. It's when Dad introduces his vibrant new lady-friend with intentions of marriage that all hell breaks loose. Maureen Stapleton, the "lady in red," in a knockout performance. Unflinching, unsparing, haunting.

• Jan 21, 2020

This Eve lady, the mother, needs to get laid. She's definitely a dysfunctional person. Extremely controlling, puts her nose in everything where she doesn't need to put it. It's interesting to see how psychologically affected the daughters have become due to the dysfunction of the relationship of their parents, especially Renata. You can see how she's becoming a lot like her mother. The change of pace kind of changes when Pearl comes into the picture. It's almost like she brings this much needed color and lightness into the air that this pale-palette family needs in their life. Interesting to see how Arthur, the father, has moved on with his life and has found peace and happiness in doing so while everybody else finds it hard to do so. That scene where Joey imagines her mother walking into the ocean and then gets saved by Mike and literally gets life blown back into her by her new mother is very powerful and impactful. There's a lot of metaphors going on during this scene. It's kind of like Joey being washed and reborn. It's a new start for her. Wow, the last 10 minutes were really good. I think the ending was brilliant. Regardless or not if Eve really did die in the ocean, her death symbolizes a new chance of starting fresh and moving on with life. I think it was for the best. Whether or not Joey imagined her mother walking into the ocean, this symbolizes Joey's reluctance to accept Pearl as he new mother and how she doesn't want to let her mother go. I think Interiors is a perfect title since the movie is about people's interiors - how we really are on the inside and how we can mask our inner problems with something like obsessing over the interior of a house instead of facing our problems. Definitely not your typical Woody Allen movie. Where as Woody's movies usually make you laugh and smile, this one drains you. He must have been going through a divorce or some kind of traumatic relationship or family experience at the time. This is by far Woody's most introspective and least funny movie. But, you have to take art for what it is and this is in fact another great addition to Woody's work and reminds me why I love Woody so much and why he's one of my favorite directors. I think the only reason I'd rewatch this movie would be to remind myself of family and how important it is to let go and move on with life. That death is just the beginning to a new life. I'd like to download it so I can examine the movie in greater depth.

• Aug 12, 2019

Fresh from the winning Oscars for Annie Hall, Woody Allen's first dramatic outing is a maladroit Bergmanesque critique on dysfunctional mother-daughter dynamics in a domestic drama about three adult daughters sustaining the derangement of their elderly mother as she goes through a divorce.