Reviews

• Aug 13, 2021

What a great movie, worse seeing again after a few years. The acting is amazing and the script intelligent, a real treat!

• Jul 20, 2021

Completely unbelievable throughout both in terms of the plot and the characters. The idea of two people discussing an assassination after hours in a room full of microphones at the U.N. HQ was laughible. Even when the language you're speaking isn't popular, nobody with half a brain would discuss it in that location. Then the main character took ages to report it, nobody originally took it seriously, there were multiple silly assassinations and a terrorist attack that could have been prevented, the Secret Service were incompetent, the twist villain was blatantly obvious, the gun hidden in a trolley leg and bin should have been found when they searched the building, the main character shouldn't have gotten away with nearly assassinating someone, and all of the African politics discussion was a mess. The dialogue was poor, the pacing was dragged out, the characters were inconsistent, the action was short and forgettable, and the acting was bland. The cinematography, visual effects, and soundtrack were average.

• Jun 14, 2021

This thriller movie was alright. Nicole Kidman, Sean Penn, Catherine Keener, and the rest of the cast did a decent job in this movie. The plot of the movie was dramatic, tedious, and kind of depressing. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be and I nearly fell asleep during the movie at certain times. If you haven't seen this movie yet, don't waste your time. It's not really worth watching.

• Jun 05, 2021

This film is full of promise but delivers a flat tire. From a lack of character development, to implausible (not well thought out) background stories to painfully lacking chemistry between actors...this film is a time sink.

• Oct 14, 2020

Just re-watched this again in 2020. The exceptional acting and complex plot made me realize what dross directors are serving up these days in comparison. While I originally found Kidman a bit wooden when I watched it in 2005, this time round I found her complex and enigmatic. Penn broods (as he always does) but I felt there was believable chemistry between them. I would have given it 4/5 or even higher but they fluffed the ending by chasing the American obsession with closure. Not quite as politically aware as say, Blood Diamond, but a refreshing change from the stale plots and CGI action we seem to get on endless loop these days.

• Aug 11, 2020

Yeah, so Sean Penn is on the edge here... and not in a good way. Liked it a lot, but he doesn't bring much to the movie

• Jul 05, 2020

A pretty good international thriller.

A pretty good international thriller.

• Jun 27, 2020

Well made but not remotely clever. You have seen it done better but if you like this kind of film you will have some enjoyment.

• May 21, 2020

Great actors and director. Political thriller! Exactly what I look for in a film. Sadly, I could not get into this film. Not sure why exactly. Just not engaging. Not in the least.

• May 10, 2020

Thought the movie was pretty good. Long runtime but didn't board of it. Overall it was interesting and I'd definitely recommend it.