Into the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Night Reviews

February 15, 2016
Bad film by a good director.
½ February 13, 2016
An early film for both Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer. It's a thriller with some humour from director John Landis. There are also many cameos including David Bowie, and also many film directors including Landis himself, David Cronnenberg, Roger Vadim, Lawrence Kasdan, Jonathan Demme, Paul Mazursky, and Amy Heckerling. Nothing special, but I found it worth watching for the leads.
January 31, 2016
John Landis film that is part romantic comedy, part action-adventure about an insomniac aerospace engineer who helps a woman who holds valuable emeralds stolen from Iran evade a group trying to recover them. Lots of cameos from well-known directors and bit parts for David Bowie and Dan Aykroyd. Falls short of being really good but pretty good and gets better as it goes. Will always remember Landis for constantly drinking Tab cola in the making of Michael Jackson's Thriller video.
½ January 11, 2016
Gripping story, and most of all David Bowie's portrait will resonate among many more films to come.
½ February 9, 2014
Fast becoming one of my favorite films and another the more you see it the better it gets. This requires more than one viewing and it gets more appreciative every time. I love a nightlife in the 80s set in LA curiosity and if this is my impression, great ride, great fun and involving all the way thanks to its leads and surprise appearances along the way
½ September 10, 2013
Insiderish but well paced dark comedy - and as good a tour of Hollywood as you will see in the movies. After twenty-eight years we can forgive the shameless stunt casting; the film has actually aged pretty well. Goldblum and Pfeiffer bring a natural chemistry to the shenanigans. Good fun !
½ May 22, 2013
A sleeper movie that's not to bad. Also BB king sings the title song. (Ya can't beat that!)
February 7, 2013
Directed by John Landis, who had not long come off the success of Trading Places (1983), but was in the middle of legal action over what happened on Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983). This black comedy-drama could have been the beginning of a new phase in Landis' career, a more mature one. That didn't happen, but it's a twisty film with some good performances and it's well paced too. Ed Okun (Jeff Goldblum) is an insomniac, his life is a mess, and his wife Ellen (Stacey Pickren) is cheating on him, despite reassurances from his best friend and co-worker Herb (Dan Aykroyd). One night, Ed still can't sleep, so he goes for a drive, and ends up at Los Angeles Airport, where Diana (Michelle Pfeiffer) lands on the bonnet of his car, being chased by Iranians. It turns out she's a jewel smuggler, who has stolen jewelry from the Shah of Iran, and there's a quartet of hitmen on her tail, as well as British assassin Colin Morris (David Bowie). Now Ed and Diana have to stay one step ahead of the assassins and hitmen who want to get Diana, while Ed just wants to sleep. It's a very amusing film, with a soundtrack of songs by B.B. King, as well as loads of cameos from directors, (which is Landis' trademark). But the film has a mysterious quality to it, making Los Angeles at night look exotic and exciting. Landis should have done more like this.
January 26, 2013
John Landis had a lot of great movies in the 70's and 80's and this was one that I never saw until last night but heard everything from it sucks to it being underrated. So an undervalued Landis movie starring one of my faves the Goldblum, what could go wrong? Well the problem is that this feels too much like After Hours and After Hours is the masterpiece while this definitely gets dated by a semi-cheesy 80's soundtrack. Still Golblum is great as the insomniac who stumbles upon Michelle Pfeiffer and her drama as he is trying to find nocturnal activities to help with his sleep problem. Cameos galore fill the movie up and there are some hearty laughs with Goldblum on a movie set. About the greatest selling point that I can attempt to give Into the Night is the idea that David Bowie has a knife fight with Carl Perkins. While not as classic as Coming to America, Trading Places, or even Spies Like Us, Into the Night is worth checking out.
January 25, 2013
A portrait of L.A. before phones had cameras. Pfeiffer makes jeans look dangerous. A wonderful movie with a fast paced heart.
January 8, 2013
i love your sexy mustache my HEROE!
December 10, 2012
A Funny Caper with Lots of Cameos and a Great Ending
November 3, 2012
Starts off strong but ends miserably.
September 2, 2012
ok, could have been better, Great title track performed by BBKing
August 16, 2012
One of my favorites. I love all the inside jokes and actors and directors parading through as various strange and enigmatic characters. I doesn't hurt that both Michelle Pfeiffer and Jeff Goldblum are excessively watchable.
June 18, 2012
Bad, but at least there's some Goldblum.
½ June 10, 2012
Interesting. This is a film hollywood should try to remake.
½ May 12, 2012
A vacant sleepwalker that occasionally stirs to consciousness but without ever truly waking from its comatose slumber
May 1, 2012
This is John Landis' 2nd best movie and one the the top 5 most underrated hidden gems IMO. Goldblum and Pfeiffer have great chemistry and it's easy to see why these two talents are still around.
½ March 18, 2012
This is a Really good noir flick ..Hapless insomniac played by Jeff Goldblume find out his wife has beeen cheating on him decides to spend the night at the airport where he runs into damsel in distress/Femme Fatale played by the beautiful Michelle Pfeiffer who is smuggling gems...From there it's a who's who of 80's directors and actors as cameos galore show up.