The Invasion Reviews

• Dec 01, 2018

Yet another "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" knock-off, this one starring Nicole Kidman as a pricey D.C. psychiatrist who becomes convinced that something is very, very wrong. Spooky husbands, creepy kids, zombie cops: they're all here and then some, popping up early on just like they're supposed to, and soon, folks are dashing into traffic crying, "They're here! They're here!", Kidman is enlisting the aid of pal Daniel Craig ("Casino Royale", his first Bond pic, came out a year earlier), and, of course, they're pleading with each other NOT TO FALL ASLEEP. Fast cuts, lots of action, and--here's a switch--no pods. With Jeffrey Wright as the scientist racing against the clock to find a cure for the alien virus behind it all, and Jackson Bond as Kidman's young son. Was this remake necessary? Of course not. But is it suspenseful and entertaining? Most definitely: yes.

• Nov 23, 2018

Not bad at all, the story was good, the acting was good, the start maybe better but I liked it.

• Oct 27, 2018

May not be as sharp nor as fresh, but this third remake still did enough efforts to be effective while the modern update with timely political themes is terrifyingly persuasive. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Aug 06, 2018

A Good Suspence with a good cast. Made up of tension moments. A satisfying enjoyable suspence horror/thriller,

• Jul 31, 2018

So, apparently, I was wrong. It's not Bound that determines whether or not, you're a true Wachowski fan, it's this movie. But in my defense, not only were they uncredited writers on a re-edited version of a more talky cut, but I only found out when I was reading about my favourite directors on Wikipedia. The script shows signs of intelligence, there are a couple of good scenes and the performances are decent. And, hey look, Body Snatchers fans, Veronica Cartwright returns from the 1978 adaptation. Yet, the movie's never truly scary, it's not as thought-provoking as it wants to be, there's no proper build-up and it can be boring sometimes. There's also that damn cliche "kid is immune, and thus has potential for a world-saving cure using his blood". I'm not sure if the Wachowskis, along with their friend James McTeigue, who directed the edited version were uncredited because they asked or because Warner Bros. didn't want Oliver Hirschbiegel to be pissed when he finds out but I think it's for good reason. For all I know, they probably didn't even want to do rewrites and redirecting of this movie but Warner Bros. threatened to cancel Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin if they did so they figured "Let's get this over with". It's better than Assassins but it's still one of the weaker entries in the Wachowskis' filmography that once again has me saying "I thought Jupiter Ascending was better".

• Jul 13, 2018

Great new take on an old concept. We've had several adaptions of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" but this feels like a pretty great adaption for the 21st century. I'd recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the concept or even just Sci-fi Thrillers.

• Jul 05, 2018

Watching it eleven years after it got released made this movie quite entertaining. After all the apocalypse movie coming nowaways, it is nice to see a movie that is based on the original sci-fi movie, Body Snatcher. Maybe, young people will find a way to watch the old movie and appreciate that one.

• Jun 29, 2018

I think the original 1956 version is the best, because it set the bar for a memorable science fiction franchise, and because it's one of the best and defining sci-fi flick of the 50's, and even of the 20th century. And while the remake is far inferior to the 1956 and 1978 films, it's not a horrible remake either. It's campy sci-fi fun, which does have its chilling moments and, just like the other films, will give you a sense of paranoia. And Nicole Kidman was a good choice for the film. But don't get me wrong, it's no masterpiece, especially near the end where it gets more and more tedious. But overall, it's an alright flick and is worth a look if you want.

• Mar 17, 2018

Although it looks very nice and has an interesting premise, it's as formulaic as can be and does nothing at all to surprise you. The fragmented way the story is told is another bad decision making it confusing, at times, as it jumps back and forth between past and present with little to distinguish the two. To top it all off, there is an unfortunate lack of chemistry between the cast and the characters they're playing are bland, to say the least. Basically, it fails in every regard to capture any real feeling of terror, suspense or tension, so, you know, it's not exactly the good time you'd expect.

• Nov 26, 2017

Not a bad remake, just not very good either. The first half was actually terrific, pretty intense setup with nice chilling atmosphere and a political talking point I found to be interesting in one scene and gives some food for thought. It seemed to suggest it going somewhere reallly deep and exciting but alas, no doubt because of director Hirschbiegel's original vision being comprised in mid-production the movie suffers from delusions of grandeur. There are too many inconsistencies with tone and pace, and worst of all, the more it builds to it's climax the less scary and suspenseful it actually becomes with some of the cheesiest acting and most ridiculously far fetched chases that took me right out of the mood until it's inevitable, disappointingly flat ending. Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig both deserved better. **1/2