The Ipcress File - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ipcress File Reviews

December 2, 2016
Michael Caine is a cool yet average bloke of a spy in this awesome anti-Bond movie by folks who brought you Bond. Some of the coolest cinematography I've ever seen.
½ May 25, 2016
A bit of fun, but it didn't blow me away. The third act is a little silly. I couldn't help but laugh at Caine's absurd eye makeup.
½ May 2, 2016
Film from 1965 with Michael Caine in well known form. We're in London and agen Palmer (Caine) is off to do some work. Several scientists have been kidnapped recently but all of them return quite soon. The problem is that they don't remember anything or they are brainwashed by someone or something.

It's an old film but it helds up very good. A great score, good acting, cool filming and editing. After I saw it I learned that it's a part of a series of films, but I guess it can stand out just fine as a single film too.

The problem with the film is that it's never really thrilling or exciting. It's nothing special when it comes to create tensity and it's a very slow spy film. There are too many scenes that kills the vibe I want from an spy flick to be honest. Just to make it clear - I don't like films with constant action and stupidity, but I want a more interesting story (yes, I know this was fresh stuff 60 years ago) and more excitement. It reminds me quite a lot of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" actually. I film I never dug.

5.5 out of 10 dinner whiskeys.
½ February 1, 2016
Imagine if being a secret agent was just job you put in time to, until things spiraled out of control? Great characters, unpredictable script and outstanding direction make one hell of a spy film.
January 30, 2016
One of the best suspenseful spy films ever made. I would place it up there with the 007s, but this has a real feeling that I haven't seen elsewhere. First rate stuff with a compelling plot and great characters. The music reminded me of bond, but then again I believe the producer was part of that group.
January 3, 2016
great movie look fantastic
November 3, 2015
"The Icpress File" es una cinta de espionaje ultra-cool (actuaciones elegantes, música de John Barry, fotografía evocadora), acerca de un agente llamado Harry Palmer (el gran Michael Caine), al cual le encargan una peligrosa misión que involucra a científicos secuestrados y técnicas de lavado de cerebros. Este personaje, que es como una especie de "Anti James Bond", regresa en las cintas "Funeral In Berlin" y "Million-Dollar Brain".
½ August 12, 2015
Classic Caine! Everything you'd expect and a little bit more. Great shots of London in the 60's and a veritable historical document in terms of props and sets.
August 8, 2015
Interesting spy film counter point to the sensational James Bond series (incidentally produced by the same man, Harry Saltzman). While Bond films were filled with gadgets, fast cars, beautiful ladies and maniacal villains bent on global domination, this film depicts the spy game as being filled with bureaucrats and rather ordinary of looking villains. The story revolved around the quietly insubordinate Michael Caine as Harry Palmer who's taken off of a tedious stakeout assignment to investigate a rash of British scientists disappear and re-appear unable or unwilling to do their jobs. It's a moderately interesting of story, but the fun of the film is Caine as Palmer, who traverses through the film with a kind of smirk and hairs breath away from disrespecting those around him that make the film so fun. Director Sidney J. Furie also brings a clever amount of style to the film and Bond film regular composer John Barry also lends an excellent score. Not quite a classic film, but Palmer is a classic character who everyone should checkout at some point.
August 2, 2015
Caine shines in this action suspenser
August 1, 2015
????????? ??????? ????????: ????? ???? ??????? ?????? ????? ????????, ???? ??????-????? ?????? ?????????????? ???????. ??????? ????? ???? ? ???? ???????? ?????. ?????????? ??????, ??????????? ???????????? ?????? ? ????? ?? ?????? ?????. ??????? ???????-????????, ?????? ??????? ????. ??????????, ??? ? ????? ????? ???????? - ????????. ? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??? ?????????? ?????
½ May 2, 2015
Hello to my brother!

The first, and supposedly the best of the Palmer outings. It loses its way in the last 30 minutes, but i enjoyed the build-up. Palmer is cool, sophisticated and detached in the grimey 60s London.
March 4, 2015
The word "Ipcress" is the key to the movie and not really a Macguffin at all (as it might first seem to be when newly minted spy comes across it in an abandoned warehouse). As with all spy thrillers (and I was in the mood for a good one), the plot here has many twists and even the different British spy agencies can't seem to trust each other. Young Michael Caine (seeming more and more a contradiction in terms these days) is full of Cockney insubordination and an eye on the birds. This could be a parallel universe to the Bond series with a more realistic bent - until the Manchurian Candidate-styled conclusion (which takes things to a definite psychedelic place). So, in the end, it's not quite the grey world of Le Carré but rather a bit of adventure for the lads (and lasses).
½ February 27, 2015
Intriguing espionage drama, based on the Len Deighton novel.

Decent, reasonably complex, plot. Not 100% watertight, but the holes aren't big.

Solid direction by Sidney J Furie. Movie moves along at a decent pace and he builds the tension well. Does miss a few beats though. Some scenes are quite flat and almost pointless.

Good final few scenes which make it all worthwhile and bring everything together.

Good performance by Michael Caine in the lead role. Not your average spy - he is almost the anti-James Bond. Resourceful, but slovenly and, well, human. Seemed much more like a real agent would be than James Bond.

Good support from Nigel Green and Guy Doleman.
February 26, 2015
Interesting espionage thriller. Bit slow to start & there's not much background given for who/what the Brits are, other than to find the kidnapped scientist. When they discover he's been IPCRESSed - "Induction of Psychoneuroses by Conditioned Reflex under Stress" - Micahel Caine (only 31, so young!) is also abducted and must discover who double-crossed him. Not too original nowadays, but I can see how it would've been enjoyable in the 60s.
½ February 18, 2015
not bad, very typical of the time. The story is a bit silly though.
February 15, 2015
Really good spy thriller. Some great cinematography in it as well.
December 26, 2014
Better than every James Bond movie to date.
½ September 23, 2014
Toned down Bond? And them some. This film captures more than the idiosyncrasies of the times, it presents a sharp, paced take on the procedural that is deeply rooted in a cold 60's aesthetic. In a way, much cooler than Bond, because it tries much less to be cool.
August 30, 2014
People who dislike this movie maybe because they already being endorsed with the Bond - style spy world. Well, this is all different, it's a complete 180 degrees and gives you an almost accurate view in the spy world : Low payoff, death, instinct, and initiative rather than relying on luck. Palmer can lose anytime and he struggle to survive, this was also Caine's most iconic act in the movies.