Iron Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Man Reviews

½ April 26, 2017
Simple, elegant, and self-contained. The chemistry between the actors is among the best I've seen in the MCU, the comedy and quips fits really well, and the rest of the movie is easy to follow - even for those of us that has zero interest in comic books.

The soundtrack by Ramin Djawadi is fine, but is underutilized by director Jon Favreau. The movie has it's problems in the third act with the villain and the fight itself, but a charismatic lead in Robert Downey jr. and great acting from everyone involved makes this one of - if not the best MCU movie to date.
April 25, 2017
One of the greatest superhero movies of all time. This movie really shows just how important it is to make the first film of an entire franchise phenomenal.
April 23, 2017
A perfect origin story, and the perfect start to set the definition of the MCU!
½ April 22, 2017
Start as you mean to go on. This movie she the tone for what we now know as the MCU. Not only does it give you witty and compelling characters it opens up a whole new world of superheroes.
½ April 21, 2017
A great introduction to this former B-list superhero. However, the third act is pretty weak.
April 12, 2017
The envy of the DCEU. So before Marvel was this giant connected universe, it was just Iron Man. This is the story of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.). He is a billionaire engineer playboy who owns a weapons company. Trouble is that he gets kidnapped by terrorists because of who he is, and his only recourse is to build a weaponized armored suit to make his escape, as his abductors are armed to the teeth. With the Marvel universe doing nothing but growing, there was a part of me for a while that has wanted to go back to rewatch and review every film that they have released thus far that have been connected. I haven't started seriously tackling the year of 2017 just yet, so there is no better time than now. The original Iron Man has aged very well, and it is a film that is strong enough to have the entire foundation of an empire built squarely upon its shoulders. So much about what makes this movie is the collaboration of Robert Downey Jr. and director Jon Favreau. I've been a big fan of RDJ ever since the genius script penned by Shane Black hit the big screen in 2005, the perfect vehicle for him that is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. One thing you have to understand if you're going to work with him is that you always have to be rolling your camera. He will just do or say something impromptu and off-script, and it will be perfect for the character that he is playing. It is safe to say that he is (and will likely forever be) the definitive Tony Stark. I also think that Favreau doesn't get nearly enough credit as being a quality director. He understands what makes this character tick, and how you need to make it so that you want to be him, even though he treats everyone around him like bit players in a story where he is the star. There is one item that I have to touch upon, and it has to do with the weakest element of the Marvel universe: the villains aren't anything noteworthy. As soon as Jeff Bridges appears as a bald, cigar-chomping businessman, you know exactly where it is going, and while he does serve his purpose, apart from Loki, none of the Marvel villains really give you anything to write home about. This movie was the spark of inspiration that started it all, and you could tell that they knew what they were doing from the beginning, and the moving parts are only evident after the fact. It was relevant in the year that it was released with the war on terror being such a hot button topic, and because Tony Stark goes through so much trauma at the beginning, it makes you care about his character arc. RDJ shares a great chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow, which just gives you all the more reason to be on board. RDJ makes it cool, and this is still one of the better movies in this universe, even after nearly a decade.
April 11, 2017
This is one of the best superhero origin movies. The story is surprisingly very grounded in reality, with high-octane action sequences, allowing even non-comics fans to appreciate.
½ April 8, 2017
Really solid and fun action movie.rdj is absolutely amazing in this role, the action scenes are really awesome to look at. I can't really think of any real negatives about this movie hell of a way to kick off a billion dollar franchise.
April 6, 2017
Where it all started
½ April 6, 2017
Didn't realise how good this film would actually be. Fantastic story, great acting, funny too, just loved it. Up there with the best comic book films I've seen, although nothing comes close to The Dark Knight for me
April 2, 2017
This movie was able to take a character that many were not familiar with and turn him into a household name, and sparked what would soon become the wildfire that is the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr. was born to play Tony Stark and joins a cast of other fantastic characters to jump-start the Iron Man franchise. One of the best in it's genre.
March 31, 2017
Filled with exciting action, Oscar-worthy performances, and a surprising amount of horror movie style imagery, Iron Man is arguably the third best film in the MCU, and my sixth favorite superhero movie of all time. Jeff Bridges is fantastically terrifying as Obadiah Stane, and Robert Downey Jr. was born to be Tony Stark. All in all, there's a reason this movie, with the help of The Incredible Hulk, spawned the entire MCU.
½ March 29, 2017
Hard to say, should i rate 3.5 or 4? It's somewhere in that area.
½ March 26, 2017
Impressive, funny, with a great Robert Downey Jr., and awesome special effects. Interesting and well-structured plot with few flaws.
March 25, 2017
this movie was great
½ March 25, 2017
Iron man is great, the pacing is perfect, it's extremely entertaining, the story and script are great, everything in this movie is awesome, the acting is great, the characters are great to and so is the editing, the special effecting are fan-fucking-tastic, this by far is one of the greatest summer movies I've seen in a while and I would say it is as great as The Dark Knight, this whole movie is just perfect and I would consider it to be one of the best Marvel movies, it's exiting, funny, and a very fun summer movie and if more summer movies follow that formula and understand how this movie did so well and follow the formula the movie did then summer movies would be much better and great, it's such a great movie
½ March 24, 2017
Fantastic start to the MCU and great performances all round most noticeably Robert Downey Jr. 3.5/5
March 20, 2017
Tony Stark is an enormous douchebag, but that's what most people like about him! This, I admit was a great launch to the Marvel cinematic universe, and boy did it pay off, or what!? I realized that I ended up enjoying this allot more for the second time it's been viewed in years! Director Favreau Once again brought us something special here, not just with memorable characters, but with an interesting origin story, and heart pounding action! Only wish that the rest of the cinematic universe didn't have it's fair share of mistakes which came along in the years afterwards.
March 20, 2017
One of Marvels many but few successful transfers to the big screen (the others being 'Spider-Man 1' & 'X-Men 2', although none of them have matched up to the 1978 'Superman' or 'Batman Begins'). The effects are good enough & I'm glad they didn't set out to make a CGI extravaganza - as we've had quite a number of those in recent years. Instead it focuses (thankfully) on Downey Jr's performance which holds it all together & keeps you entertained more than anything else. Paltrow may be a pretty face but is overly dull & cardboard as the love interest, but Jeff Bridges gives a brilliantly chilly turn as the villain. Thoroughly enjoyable
March 20, 2017
An okay at best superhero origin story but unmemorable at the end of the day.