Iron Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Man Reviews

½ April 19, 2018
A great starter to the MCU. The acting was on point with great dialogue and comedic timing.
April 18, 2018
The snappy Edgar Wright like dialogue and the fantastic action and performances make up for the pacing issues but a great start to the MCU
April 11, 2018
Conceived with a grounded focus, deep and dedicated respect out of the character, and marking Robert Downey Jr's memorable career-revival, Jon Favreau's taking of the Marvel Comics iconic hero is a devoted, stylish and powerful origin story that'll redefine the general approach out of the conventional way superhero movies were crafted, with the perfect doses of humor, action and production standards that'll quick start the rising Marvel Cinematic Universe in epic fashion.
April 10, 2018
The movie that started the MCU! This definitely had potential! I really like how Robert Downey Jr. brought life to this character.
April 9, 2018
Jon Favreau's "Iron Man" is an eye-popping visual effects masterpiece with plenty of splendid action and a career-resurecting performance by Robert Downey Jr. that redefines the superhero genre on so many levels.
April 7, 2018
While getting myself ready for Avengers Infinity War I started rewatching all the other marvel movies with Iron man being the first. As a fan of the Marvel movies(not all of them)we wouldn't be here today still watching these movies if Iron man one wasn't a good movie. Robert Downey Jr. was the right guy at the right time to play this role infact the whole cast made this movie good. The look of the film was good and the cgi did help alot making it look that good. The story was excellent to say the least I believe the only minor set back some of the actual dialog was kinda of weak other then that Iron man was a really good comic book movie
½ April 6, 2018
(91/100)
A great introduction to the MCU. The CGI was very good, even for 2008s standards. The villain was pretty dull but was a great challenge for Tony (Robert Downey Jr.). Overall this movie had good and fun action combined with a great origin story for Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.).
April 6, 2018
great start to the MCU
April 2, 2018
A fantastic start to the Marvel cinematic Universe, a film that makes a connection with real world politics, however feels like it isn't thought provoking enough for serious audiences. Nonetheless, Iron Man is a good movie.
½ April 2, 2018
Downey Jr is the only reason Tony Stark shines and it is his acting skill that elevates this above the average comic book movie. Marvel kicked off the shared world storyline that has served them very well and Iron Man is not a weak film by any means. The film is only let down by a simplistic plot design that isn't overly complicated, this was the safe road to building a franchise and Marvel didn't overthink too much. The film is a lot fun but it is not The Dark Knight. 31-03-2018.
April 1, 2018
Great first offering for marvel and a genuine birth of a modern day superhero icon, featuring a career defining role for RDJ
March 31, 2018
Bit of a nothing film, building up to Iron Man 2. Watchable though.
March 30, 2018
Besides Avengers, this is my favorite of the Phase 1 MCU movies. This is an amazing origin story all around. The story, characters, humor, wonder, all of it! Plus this was the very first MCU movie which adds to the specialness. I think Warmonger is actually one of the better villains over the course of the MCU too.
March 30, 2018
A great Marvel movie with an excellent first act, a pretty decent second act but a somewhat by the numbers third. Nevertheless it works and Robert Downey Jr is largely the reason for that. I have no problems giving this movie 4 stars.
March 30, 2018
Because of the new Marvel-movie to come, I decided to rewatch the entire MCU. I started with Iron Man, and I can tell you, it is way more fun the second time. When I saw it for the first time, I was very much a Marvel- and superhero-virgin. I saw the trailer, and something within me immediately clicked, and I was hooked. I already liked the movie back then, but now, having seen all the Marvel-movies, -series en some animated series, I enjoyed it a lot more. You recognise the easter eggs, you recognise names and things that are to come. It was a really good way to set up the entire universe. The movie was about Iron Man, not about a possible group he could some day be part of. You only get to know this in the after-credits scene.
Also to relive his relationship with Potts, when you know how this relationship will evolve, is very interesting.
The combination of being serious superheroes and the more natural humor in the movies, is what I love about Marvel, and Iron Man is an excellent example to set up the tone of the entire MCU. I loved it!
michael e.
March 29, 2018
Many regard this as one of the greatest superhero films of all time, I wouldn't nessecarily go that far. Granted it is a good movie, but its not that good to me. I never heard of Robert Downey Jr. before this film so I'm happy that this film introduced me to him, and he did a fantastic job with this film, being a arrogant know it all, but smart person. The beginning of the film is like some of Jon Favreau's films, it has something not explained start the film and then they explain it right after. Jeff Bridges also does a fantastic job as the main villain, being a friend to Tony, I thought that added a lot of good reasons to have his butt kicked when he betrays him. I also have to say, for a film thats 2 hours it flies by pretty quick, sure the beginning is kind of slow, but once it gets moving, oh boy does it go fast, and the action and comedy make sure it doesn't feel like a film that is just for spectacle.
March 28, 2018
Iron man follows a very simple story, arrogant billionaire has life changing event and he has to over come demons from his old life in order to move on. Robert Downey Jr. plays a fantastic Tony Stark. He is funny and charismatic but also portrays this cocky playboy perfectly. At the beginning of the film while Tony is living the playboy lifestyle, you feel as the audience that this is a guy who you are not going to like. How is this guy a super hero? Tony has made his million by building and selling weapons. But after he is captured and has to use his genius to escape, you see the kind a person who has realised, that there was more to life than money and women. With the death of his fellow captive, Yinsen, you see that this callus billionaire has a caring side. Something that shapes him the rest of the movie.

When he gets back to the real world, he uses his new found compassion to help those he has seen suffering. To "help those he's put in harms way" as Tony says. He does this by building an updated version of the suit that he used for his escape. The montage of the suit building is great and it made me feel like this was something that could actually exist. He then uses the new suit to go back to where he was captured and save the village. This fight scene was amazing. Seeing the suit work with its rockets and boosters was great. The integration of Tony's AI butler, Jarvis, into the suit also allowed for some great moments and meant that Tony never felt alone when he was out helping others. Tony's interaction with the other characters after this scene is also great and really help to shape the character. His phone call with his best friend and head of US defence, Rhodey, really shows the comradery these two have. And when he is taking the suit off and his assistant, Pepper Potts, walks in to see the bullet hole riddled suit, the back and forth these two have shows that they care about each, it feels like they have known each other for years.

We then find out the main villain, Obadiah Stane, the old friend of Tony's dad who took over the company when Tony was captured, was the one who had Tony captured so he could steal the company from Tony. He has since, built a suit similar to Tony's Iron man armour in order to try and sell it off. Tony then has to stop him using his own suit. While it is common today within Marvel movies to have the villain have the same powers as the hero, this was new in Ironman and felt fresh and great to see. The fight between them felt grounded while also being exciting. When Tony uses knowledge he learnt from his prototypes to stop Stane, it felt earned. We had been on this journey of suit design with Tony, so with him using his earlier flaws to his advantage, it felt natural and smart! Tony's selflessness to sacrifice himself at the end of fight really rounded out his character's arc throughout the movie. He was willing to give up his own life to ensure that this technology didn't fall into the wrong hands, something earlier Tony Stark wouldn't have cared about.

Up until now in superhero movies, we had seen secret identities and low profiles, this was all thrown on its head when the film ends with Tony stark declaring to a room full of reporters that he is Iron man. This helped show that even though this character had been through so much, he was still cocky and wanted a bit of the spotlight. This is then thrown back at him in, what would become a marvel staple, the post credit scene with Nick Fury, played by an eye patch wearing Samuel L Jackson. When he turns round to Tony and says "I'm hear to speak to you about the Avengers initiative", I think most comic book fans got goosebumps, and non fans were left with questions they wanted answers to. This, even to this day, is still one of the best post credits scenes marvel has done.

Verdict: Discharged

Iron man is packed full of humour, character and fun. It felt grounded while at the same time different. The relationships between the characters felt great and the visuals were fantastic. As I said at the beginning, Iron man, to this day, is still one of the best Marvel movies released!

David
March 26, 2018
Surprisingly Good. Robert D shows why he is still a great actor. Excellent storytellling
½ March 25, 2018
Overall, the film is SOO good. I absolutely love it, and I know others do too! The cast and story are both great, and is such a pinnacle point in film history! I rate the film a 9/10.
½ March 24, 2018
Iron Man is a great movie that explains how Tony Stark came to be the Iron Man we all know and love. Director Jon Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr make this a smart and well crafted superhero movie that even non superhero fans can enjoy. The visual effects are great throughout the film and it's very entertaining and exciting throughout.