It's a Wonderful World Reviews

• Nov 10, 2017

A screwball comedy that has its witty moments.

A screwball comedy that has its witty moments.

• Mar 01, 2015

not particularly groundbreaking but a bit of fun

not particularly groundbreaking but a bit of fun

• Aug 18, 2014

Feels like a rip off of It Happened One Night and other Capra films. Perhaps it's casting of Claudette Colbert? But there is a reason why this film is little known. It's not that memorable.

• Aug 18, 2014

I didn't think I'd ever encounter screwball couple to rival Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in "Bringing Up Baby," but James Stewart and Claudette Colbert are so good together it makes me wish they had done more films together. Perhaps they would have if Stewart hadn't gone of to fight in World War II. Colbert is easily one of cinema's greatest comediennes, nobody does a slow-burn like Stewart, and both actors look like they are having the time of their lives. One gag goes on a bit too long, but such things can be forgiven when the chemistry, the writing, and the directing are this good. The supporting cast is a great deal of fun as well, especially Guy Kibbee as Cap Streeter. Highly recommended.

• Mar 02, 2014

This feels like one of the crazy plot movies you'd find mentioned in the game Balderdash. I think the most interesting thing about the movie is the similarities between this movie and It's a Wonderful Life. James Stewart can work well with screwball comedy (Vivacious Lady and The Philadelphia Story), so I blame the script.

• Mar 15, 2013

it's my two fave actor and actress on screen. i knew how much i'll love this b4 watching it #silly :D

• Sep 13, 2012

another delightful 'screwball comedy" from that magical year 1939.

another delightful 'screwball comedy" from that magical year 1939.

• Jan 26, 2011

The story's hard to follow but some of the gags are good.

The story's hard to follow but some of the gags are good.

• Nov 15, 2010

absolutely love Jimmy Stewart, but I couldn't say I was a great fan of this one. Stewart's character seemed to lack its usual charm, perhaps because he was quite angry most of the time, even to the point of punching Claudette Colbert in the face at one point. I must admit I did find that a bit humourous, just because such a thing would be nearly impossible to pull off nowadays. I also wasn't a fan of the way Colbert played her character. At times she seemed utterly helpless and others a nagging girlfriend, once again delievered without any charm or redeeming qualities. In spite of these feelings, I did still laugh at quite a few parts of this movie. Although I won't remember it as a classic like some other screwball comedies of the era (Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story), it was pleasent enough.

• Sep 20, 2010

Monday, September 20, 2010 (1939) It's A Wonderful World COMEDY Neither a prequel or a sequel to James Stewart's masterpiece 1946 "It's A Wonderful Life" but is described as another comedy vehicle romance easily influenced by master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock's classic "The 39 Steps" in which a murder occurs at the beginning resulting to Guy Johnson a detective played by James Stewart on the lam for being accessory to the crime. Along the way, he comes across a spunky poet writer by the name of Edwina played wonderfully by Claudia Colbert and the two unbelievably attempt to catch these murders on their own! Remenicent to Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps" except this film has no susupense and just focuses on it's relationship between it's two leading stars with set up's to the comedy routines and I just have to say that the film never would've worked well making the most of what they have! Unbelievably my second time seeing this film, already forgetting that I had seen it before on the previous year! 3 out of 4