Jacob's Ladder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jacob's Ladder Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
This movie has a three-layered storyline that kept me interested until the end.
½ May 20, 2016
Neat visuals but i couldn't get into the plot and i wasn't sold on the twist.
½ February 23, 2016
One of those rare films that finds the proper balance between corny and creepy.
January 4, 2016
not a horror...but very trippy....
½ December 22, 2015
Loved the freakiness of this movie on the first viewing... having watched it again ~20yrs later, it is a lot more drawn out and war oriented than I remembered. Still a nice psychological thriller, with impressive cast. Not a clear ending, as it lets the viewer try to interpret what had been happening. Visually still pretty decent.
November 8, 2015
Not worth trying to make sense of but still enjoyable for the cerebral aura
October 26, 2015
Original and most entertaining film.
October 26, 2015
Flawed but still solid.
½ October 18, 2015
This film is interesting, unnerving and creepy. The acting was good. Attention needs to be paid throughout to make sure what is going on, can be understood. I'm not sure this is made clear.
October 13, 2015
This was an amazing movie...super trippy...
October 8, 2015
With a compelling plot, strong cast and disturbing horror sequences. Jacob's ladder is a memorably scary psychological horror that gets into it's protagonist possibly disturbed mind and a big twist ending that's unexpected as it's well fit.
September 25, 2015
Wow. This movie has the privilege of being my 500th movie review on Rotten Tomatoes! Time sure does fly! But, let's talk about the movie! So, Jacob's Ladder is about a man called Jacob Singer who was in Vietnam and after experience some horrifying events he is sent back home, only to discover his fears have followed him. He constantly has these flashbacks to the day when he got injured and he has this theory that they've done something to him and his team in the army. Some sort of an experiment. I will not spoil anything about the ending or the main plot points, but let's just say that there's a plot twist that's been done many times, but here it's handled much better. The main character is a very interesting one. As are the supporting ones, though I felt that the whole drama over his kid who died was a bit unnecessary. It felt sappy and over dramatised. The acting in the movie is great and Tim Robbins delivers a brilliant performance! His character experiences many halucinations throughout the movie and Tim Robbins makes it look like he was actually experiencing them in real life. The directing and cinematography was excellent! There are many surreal scenes that just don't let you look away from the scene because you're too afraid you might miss something disturbing and freaky. The ending I found quite interesting, though sappy. I didn't really expect that kind of ending. All in all, a great movie with an intriguing story and characters, great cinematography, but perhaps a bit overly emotional/sappy ending that makes you seem like you were watching a different kind of a movie.
½ September 20, 2015
This is a film I'd have watched a long time ago had somebody not spoiled the ending for me. I still enjoyed this a lot though, It's a great story which leaves plenty to discuss afterwards.
September 19, 2015
Slow unraveling of a troubled mind.
Paris S.
September 17, 2015
One of the most beautiful films ever put to print. Jacob's Ladder is American surrealism in motion, but the aesthetic is not quite supported by its story. There is so much potential here for a true masterpiece, but what we're given, though wholly entertaining, comes just shy of striking distance. The cast is very consistent as is the direction, but the plot offers so much unfulfilled brilliance that what we're left comes out as slightly underwhelming.
September 4, 2015
This film is about as original as it is weird. It tells the story a Vietnam veteran named Jacob who struggles to overcome the horrors of war. But what starts out as nightmares of his time spent in Vietnam, progressively they turn into hellish visions that blur the lines between what's real and what's not. As the visions increase more with each passing day; it leaves him to question if he is going insane or is there something else much more sinister behind these visions that plague his mind as well as his reality. But the further Jacob seeks out the answers, the further he spirals down the ladder into absolute chaos.
This film is a rollercoaster ride of visionary horror. It toys with your mind and throws subtle hints at you as to what is going on and you still wont know until the very end. This definitely isn't your conventional horror film and may require a second viewing to fully understand. And though it isn't for everybody, it is a film worth seeing, especially if you like a well thought out horror film that will stay in your mind days after viewing.
(Interesting side note:) This film was the main inspiration behind the Silent Hill videogame franchise.
½ August 22, 2015
Jacob's Ladder was a very intriguing and twisted mystery movie. It had a lot plot twists and creepy imagery, but most importantly the story ways kept you wandering and interested in what was going on. Also Tim Robbins performance was really good. I'm surprised as how I never heard about this movie, because it was really good and very intricate that probably should be more known than what it is.
~August 22, 2015~
½ August 21, 2015
A thinking movie, deep, theological, philisophical, deeply disturbing, strog imagery. Really good. But you've been warned.