Jacob's Ladder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jacob's Ladder Reviews

December 9, 2016
Probably the best psychological thriller I have seen to this day. As a 20 something I was obsessed by this movie.
½ November 12, 2016
Nam flashbacks are the worst subplot of any movie. Nothing is more cliche. Rather phony. Didn't make a lot of sense. Some decent scares, though.
October 29, 2016
Brilliant movie. The 1st psychological film to rope me in. The movie starts of slow, but as it progresses on you wanna know what's really going on here. The subplot of this movie works well with the main story and makes the movie even more intriguing. This movie just knows how to keep you guessing. And for a film that came out in the 1990's the effects, especially the gore effects, are amazing.
½ August 29, 2016
This movie has a three-layered storyline that kept me interested until the end.
½ May 20, 2016
Neat visuals but i couldn't get into the plot and i wasn't sold on the twist.
½ February 23, 2016
One of those rare films that finds the proper balance between corny and creepy.
January 4, 2016
not a horror...but very trippy....
½ December 22, 2015
Loved the freakiness of this movie on the first viewing... having watched it again ~20yrs later, it is a lot more drawn out and war oriented than I remembered. Still a nice psychological thriller, with impressive cast. Not a clear ending, as it lets the viewer try to interpret what had been happening. Visually still pretty decent.
November 8, 2015
Not worth trying to make sense of but still enjoyable for the cerebral aura
October 26, 2015
Original and most entertaining film.
October 26, 2015
Flawed but still solid.
½ October 18, 2015
This film is interesting, unnerving and creepy. The acting was good. Attention needs to be paid throughout to make sure what is going on, can be understood. I'm not sure this is made clear.
October 13, 2015
This was an amazing movie...super trippy...
October 8, 2015
With a compelling plot, strong cast and disturbing horror sequences. Jacob's ladder is a memorably scary psychological horror that gets into it's protagonist possibly disturbed mind and a big twist ending that's unexpected as it's well fit.
September 25, 2015
Wow. This movie has the privilege of being my 500th movie review on Rotten Tomatoes! Time sure does fly! But, let's talk about the movie! So, Jacob's Ladder is about a man called Jacob Singer who was in Vietnam and after experience some horrifying events he is sent back home, only to discover his fears have followed him. He constantly has these flashbacks to the day when he got injured and he has this theory that they've done something to him and his team in the army. Some sort of an experiment. I will not spoil anything about the ending or the main plot points, but let's just say that there's a plot twist that's been done many times, but here it's handled much better. The main character is a very interesting one. As are the supporting ones, though I felt that the whole drama over his kid who died was a bit unnecessary. It felt sappy and over dramatised. The acting in the movie is great and Tim Robbins delivers a brilliant performance! His character experiences many halucinations throughout the movie and Tim Robbins makes it look like he was actually experiencing them in real life. The directing and cinematography was excellent! There are many surreal scenes that just don't let you look away from the scene because you're too afraid you might miss something disturbing and freaky. The ending I found quite interesting, though sappy. I didn't really expect that kind of ending. All in all, a great movie with an intriguing story and characters, great cinematography, but perhaps a bit overly emotional/sappy ending that makes you seem like you were watching a different kind of a movie.
½ September 20, 2015
This is a film I'd have watched a long time ago had somebody not spoiled the ending for me. I still enjoyed this a lot though, It's a great story which leaves plenty to discuss afterwards.
September 19, 2015
Slow unraveling of a troubled mind.
#catharsis
Paris S.
September 17, 2015
One of the most beautiful films ever put to print. Jacob's Ladder is American surrealism in motion, but the aesthetic is not quite supported by its story. There is so much potential here for a true masterpiece, but what we're given, though wholly entertaining, comes just shy of striking distance. The cast is very consistent as is the direction, but the plot offers so much unfulfilled brilliance that what we're left comes out as slightly underwhelming.