Joe Gould's Secret Reviews

• Jan 28, 2014

I enjoyed watching this movie that is based on a true story. Interesting, and sad.

• Sep 22, 2012

A hidden gem this one.

A hidden gem this one.

• Aug 09, 2012

One of those nice little films like Unstrung Heroes and (also by Tucci) Big Night, that appreciative fans remember and revere, but film criticism in general has shrugged off in favor of bigger, more successful indie hits. Get a copy and watch. You'll see that great films don't have to be Great with a capital G.

• May 06, 2012

Literally waited 10 years to watch this movie because I don't believe it was ever released on VHS when I first wanted to watch it and although it has been saved for years in my Netflix queue as a DVD, it never ever was available in the "currently available" queue. I got tired of waiting so I upgraded my Netflix account to streaming and was able to watch it that way! The entire cast was fabulous, especially Ian Holm and Stanley Tucci (who also directed the film). Holm should have been nominated for acting awards in this role, but sadly he wasn't. Story and screenplay excellent. Guess it was worth the 10-year wait!

• Mar 24, 2012

Kind of fascinating. But also kind of falls short.

Kind of fascinating. But also kind of falls short.

John B Super Reviewer
    Feb 16, 2010

Good on you Stanley Tucci. You are as good a director as you are a performer. What a delightful tale.

• Nov 17, 2009

An incredibly moving film about a complex character.

An incredibly moving film about a complex character.

• Jan 02, 2009

Well, the only reason I watched this film was because Steve Martin was in it, but I was sorely disappointed by the size of his role. He is barely in this one at all. The movie itself could not keep my attention. It had some interesting characters, but as a whole, the film was slow and I just didn't like it.

• Dec 18, 2008

The phrase 'labor of love' gets bandied around a bit when describing movies, but watching this character study, directed and co-starring Stanley Tucci, based on a pair of essays by New Yorker writer Joe Mitchell. As social history, the film does an excellent job capturing the flavor of New York City of the 1940's, a city that probably no longer exists--and, in 2009, a publishing culture that must seem like a distant dream. The meat of the film is in the relationship between Tucci's Mitchell, who's looking for a story, and Ian Holm's Joe Gould, a ragged and erratic self-proclaimed writer who's putting together an 'Oral History of the World' and fascinates Mitchell---Holm has the more showy of the two roles, and it's a delight to watch him as a writer struggling to realize a dream that no-one else shares--Tucci has the quieter role, playing the straight man, but he does a good job of communicating the tides his Joe Mitchell feels caught between. A good supporting cast also includes Steve Martin, Susan Sarandon and Hope Davis.

• Jul 14, 2008

I love the works of Joe Mitchell and this is a faithful retelling of (if I'm not mistaken) Mitchell's last work (I think he quit writing after writing "Joe Gould's Secret").The period feel of the film is quite remarkable. I might need to bump this up in my Netflix que to rewatch.