Joe Kidd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe Kidd Reviews

October 18, 2016
Eastwood Ultimatum. Setting is really interesting, but overall too simple and shallow. Because of the lack of clear catharsis for the protagonist (like revenge, as in all the westerns by Eastwood himself), it does not give you much emotional fulfillment at last. Eastwood character is, thus, simple, and this film's just like one of Dirty Harry series. I wish Eastwood was going to direct this one too, then it could've been really different and a lot deeper (even though Sturges is the right choice for making this film as it is).
October 16, 2016
I remember a much faster, spectacular film. Revisiting it I was very underwhelmed. An okay Western for the era, rather entertaining too in the great scenery of the Alabama Hills. But that's about it.
½ May 5, 2016
Joe Kidd, the premise of the script is great but the narrative is pretty weak. The only thing respectable is the photographic work of Bruce Surtees.
May 1, 2016
Dirigida por John Sturges, "Joe Kidd" es una muy buena película de vaqueros en la que un rufián llamado Joe Kidd (Clint Eastwood) ayuda a un terrateniente (Robert Duvall) a buscar y cazar a un mexicano defensor de las tierras de sus paisanos (Joe Saxon). Escrita por Elmore Leonard, este Western lo tiene todo: diálogos cortos y punzantes, múltiples tiroteos y hasta un tren estrellándose contra un casino. Los amantes del género de vaqueros no quedarán defraudados.
½ January 6, 2016
Nothing really noteworthy or unique, but a perfectly serviceable western...
½ November 11, 2015
151111: Third Eastwood movie in a row and the least satisfying so far. This is a good watch but in no way I'd call it a classic. Just not edgy, Eastwood, enough.
October 12, 2015
Seems to be one Eastwood's less remembered westerns but a really good one maybe even one of the better ones. Eastwood and Duvall are both great.
August 21, 2015
Solid, deliberately paced western boasts strong acting and a wry sense of humor. It may be hit or miss though depending on your opinion of the stars, director, story and pacing.
July 28, 2015
Joe Kidd is not Clint Eastwood's greatest western nor is it close to it, nevertheless, it offers decent western packed action along with a solid performance from the western icon
July 9, 2015
I thought this really really! Could've been django! Could've...=..(
½ June 20, 2015
Not one of Clint's best. Little too hard to follow, and not many characters were the kind you root for.
April 15, 2015
Typical Spaghetti Western with typical acting and storyline - but never gets old for me!
½ February 8, 2015
John Sturges, the director of "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Great Escape," benefits from the casting of Duvall and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" star Eastwood in this western flick, but his direction doesn't provide logic behind convoluting actions. That's why both Eastwood and Duvall were in this together as the film's main attractions for viewers today to check this out, and would find Eastwood's western charisma at a smaller-than-his-average level when he was waiting for something but turns out it was smaller than he expected. "Joe Kidd" is okay for an Eastwood western, but the expectancy of the quality and value was smaller than what to expect from it. Suppose that might've been the style of direction they were going for when delivering this - under their defining terms - treat. (B)

(Full review coming soon - required another viewing probably)
½ November 28, 2014
Maybe not one of Eastwood's best, but a solid enough little western thriller.
November 12, 2014
October 11, 2014
It certainly is an appealing Western, and it shows a lot of promise, but compared to other films of its genre, it seems like a watered down version of films like A Fistful of Dollars. The story is alright, but I find that the pacing is a little too fast, by which I mean the plot speeds along so fast that parts of the plot can seem really insignificant. The acting, meanwhile, is quite good, even if the characters aren't always interesting. Like many westerns, this movie has appealing visuals and good music, but that's not the whole of what makes a good movie. While I enjoy it in some ways, it will never be as good as the Western films that it's clearly burrowing from. To be honest, the only bad thing about this movie is that tried and failed to match the comparatively lofty kings of Western genre.
September 1, 2014
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray
½ July 30, 2014
Not as good as some of the other Westerns Clint Eastwood has done but still a good film.
½ July 22, 2014
A decent enough western, but worth watching just for Eastwood.
July 16, 2014
I barely remember this movie.