Johnny English Reborn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny English Reborn Reviews

½ November 19, 2016
What Austin Powers does is take the James Bond formula and make everything and everyone in it wacky. That can be effective and kind of funny, but I get more enjoyment out of Johnny English. What this film does is take the James Bond formula and only make the main character wacky. I've always had a fondness for movies like this because everyone around the main character is playing it straight, which makes his goofiness stand out more. But I think people's enjoyment of this film will be directly proportional to their appreciation of Rowan Atkinson's brand of slapstick. I found the bumbling to be quite funny, and the whole idea of Secret Agent Mr. Bean makes me chuckle. Also this film features the lovely Rosamund Pike who I wish would get more roles, because she is delightful and has a solid range. The most impressive thing for me about Johnny English Reborn is that, if you stripped away all the comedy, this would still be a legitimate Bond film. It has the kind of mystery, twists-and-turns, and insane villainous plots that you'd expect from Bond. And then, in the middle of it, it has Johnny English beating up an old woman because he mistook her for an assassin. I certainly didn't laugh uncontrollably with Johnny English Reborn, and it wasn't the greatest comedy of all time, but it was an entertaining 100 minutes and I'd be happy to watch it again some time.
November 6, 2016
Certainly more forgettable than the original, "Johnny English Reborn" sometimes feels rather forced but is overall redeemed by the always reliable Rowan Atkinson and the occasional highlights.
½ November 4, 2016
Oh wow. much funnier than the previous incarnations of England. Much cleaner plot and script. Very much like a Bond Parody.
September 4, 2016
Still old old funny comedy sequel. At least it hit the funny buttons at just right dose. Rowan Atkinson has been training in a remote monastery after a failed ops in Mozambique. He is recall by new MI7 director Gillian Anderson to investigate an attempt to assassinate the Chinese premier. A former CIA agent Richard Schiff plan to whistle blow. Young agent Daniel Kaluuya is assign to follow Rowan. Rosamund Pike is an expert in reading body & facial language. In HK to meet the agent, the guy die in the casino. Richard tell Rowan an assassin group call Vortex was set up by him and 2 others and he is holding one part of the key. He dies by the snipe shot from old woman killer Lim Pik Sen dressing as a cleaner. Another baddie steal a key from Richard and Rowan chase him smartly. Finally ending up in a platform at sea, they fight and Rowan show some slick moves. On board the plane, an agent stole the key and Rowan is embarrassed in front of Gillian and the prime minister of the empty suitcase. Investigating and on to another Vortex member. He too was kill by Lim at the golf course. He tell Rowan the 3rd member is from MI7 before dead. Rowan consult best friend and fellow agent Dominic West who could be the mole. Daniel hack into the computer and found a photo of Dominic and the 2nd member. Rowan dismiss his claim and even hand the key over. Turns out Dominic is really the mole. Rowan screw up the mission in Mozambique when he is lure by a beautiful agent to shower and the assassin kill the president. Dominic lie that Rowan is the mole agent and MI7 go after him and he manage to escape. He seek help from Rosamund who believe him because she check the Mozambique CCTV footage and found the killer having some seizure before becoming zombie like. He kill the president upon hearing some instruction and then he die moments later. The viral drug is created by CIA and order to destroy. Richard is in-charge and so that's how it ended up in the Vortex hands. Dominic know Rowan is hiding at her home. He get all 3 key parts to combine as 1 to unleash the viral. Rowan get Daniel help to stop the assassination. Their plan is to drug Gillian and while in the meeting she will kill the premier. Rowan barge in and drink the beverage. He become the zombie but through his years of meditation he is fighting himself. The PA system reveal Dominic is the mastermind giving instruction. The attempt fail and Rowan is dead but Rosamund kiss him and he wakes up. He goes after Dominic in the cable car and blow it to bits. At he palace, Lim impersonate the queen and try to kill Rowan. He caught the real queen and smash her head and Lim was caught by the others. That's totally funny and embarrassing.
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
Another sequel we never asked for but here it is and if I'm honest it's better than the first, It feels bigger and more expensive, More action and stunts that were pretty good, There are allot of chuckles but not enough loud laughs, Most of the jokes have been done before but there were some nice clever chase scenes, A funny funny scene with a helicopter, Rowan Atkinson plays his part well, It's the 007 spoof for adults just like Austin Powers is the 007 spoof for teens.
June 10, 2016
Funny and good action
½ May 17, 2016
I didn't expect it but, this sequel to the 2003 movie Johnny English is funnier, cooler, and more original than it's predecessor, with plenty of very nice moments and an all-star cast.
April 27, 2016
Why the harsh reviews? It's not supposed to be an incredible piece of art, it's a harmless comedy that makes people happy. Ease up.
Plenty of chuckles and mindless fun for those who can loosen up and not be so critical
April 7, 2016
I find this film hilarious, and the cast are brilliant. So over-critiscised !!
March 9, 2016
"Johnny English Reborn" takes itself a bit more seriously than its predecessor, but the sense of humor still seems like this movie is targeting eight-year-old children. The jokes do get better as the movie progresses, but never to the point of making this a must-watch comedy. Watchable, but not even close to "Blackadder" for showcasing the comic skills of Rowan Atkinson.
½ March 2, 2016
Just like with the original Johnny English, I'm struggling to find what I want to say about this film but that may be due to the fact that I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about it. It is safe to say that the first Johnny English was an enjoyable film. The jokes were mostly on point, the plot was ridiculous but entertaining though overall it was certainly not one that would stand out in my memory. Now that I've seen Johnny English Reborn, which had an awful plot, cheap gags, and most of the jokes fell flat at every turn.. what else is there to say? I really think that the Johnny English series may be the most "meh" couple of comedy films that I've seen in recent years. If you were to ask me about what stood out specifically in either film, I would be struggling to give you an answer. We all know I have the world's worst memory but I can at least pinpoint what I enjoyed or didn't particularly care for in a certain film. With Johnny English and Johnny English Reborn, you may enjoy the movie while you're watching it but wait about half an hour after you've watched it to think about what parts you really enjoyed. I have no doubt that you'll have the same trouble as I did. I'm actually quite disappointed.
February 27, 2016
I don't see how so many people dislike this movie.
½ February 8, 2016
Much better than the first one with barely a scatological joke. This one is mostly fun with few bad moments. I definitely had fun and even laughed out loud a couple of times toward the end, which surprised me! Well, a couple of jokes I didn't see coming. Loved the real James Bondish bits near the end as well. English reborn, redeems himself. I liked Gillian and Rosamund. Rosamund is expressive contrary to her usual botox-face and incredibly cute a few times. Enjoyable time for all ages.
January 26, 2016
I remember the first one being funny, this one is so so.
January 17, 2016
Somewhat fun spy spoof.
January 7, 2016
An improvement on the story of the original but laughs are too few and too predictable.
December 20, 2015
Way way better than the original - this does give you good laugh. We are treated to a lot of the "cover up after goof up" routines of Mr. Bean (with the cat of Pegasus for instance). Atkinson is natural and great - if you like Mr. Bean, this is good.
Good watch.
½ December 12, 2015
Not quite as fun and unexpected as the first, but still a silly laugh or twelve in store here. I'm a fan of Atkinson, so I dove in.
½ November 12, 2015
Awesome! Makes me want to become a spy.
November 11, 2015
WHAT I LIKED: Better than it's predecessor, 'Johnny English Reborn' loses (some of) the stupidness of the first. Thus we can relish in the humour when it's there, but still have care for the improved plot and supporting characters
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's nothing particularly inventive and Rowan Atkinson isn't utilised to his full potential, but for what it is it's pretty good
VERDICT: A great spy spoof that will have you laughing throughout. This improves well over it's average predecessor.