Joy Ride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joy Ride Reviews

July 17, 2016
Amazing performance of "Rusty Nail" played by Silence of the Lamb's Ted Levine expertly elevates this B-movie suspense film to the greater heights.
July 9, 2016
It's very visible that director Dahl is influenced by Hitchcock's brilliance and it pays off beautifully.
½ June 23, 2016
"Joy Ride" is enjoyable in spite of its story's uneveness and improbability.
May 26, 2016
Joy Ride is a very dumb idea in paper, in my opinion. It's farfetched and not very believable, and yet, it's executed in such a way that you actually really get into the story and stay on the edge of your seat. No more to say than that this is a good B-movie
May 21, 2016
Good old-fashioned thriller with predictable plot but well-crafted execution.
April 26, 2016
A prank goes deadly wrong when traveling brothers mess with the wrong trucker. The suspense might be thin but the action is swift and entertaining.
½ April 9, 2016
4/9/2016: An ok movie with a very good cast.
March 22, 2016
A solid thriller that brings back memories of classic B-movies. Much like Duel, which this film was undoubtedly inspired by, Joy Ride does the brilliant job of never showing the killer. All we have is his voice, provided by a pitch perfect Ted Levine, and the truck itself - which, thanks to some great lighting and sound, becomes its own character. And of course we have Walker and Zahn as the brothers, providing the much needed heart of the film. They're funny, sweet, obnoxious, and best of all relatable. If there are any complaints, Leelee Sobieski's character feels entirely unnecessary. She does well with the material but takes away from the central relationship and adds some unneeded sexual tension, really only serving as a simple love interest to the brothers. Still, what we ultimately have is a great thriller and fun time.
Who would like it? Anyone interested in Paul Walker's work that's not Fast and Furious or any fans of B-movies from past years.
½ March 9, 2016
A total B-movie popcorn flick. But that's not such a bad thing.
March 8, 2016
Joy Ride is directed by John Dahl, written by well known director J.J. Abrams, and Clay Tarver. It stars Paul Walker, Steve Zahn, Leelee Sobieski, and Ted Levine in a horror thriller film about 2 brothers messing around with the radio, and when Rusty Nail was on the radio, they decided to prank him, and when they get their laugh, Rusty Nail goes after them for being embarrassed in a car chase. I was excited to go back to watching this film as J.J. Abrams was one of the main reasons why I wanted to watch it again, even if he's not the director for this film. So with Joy Ride, it's a great film that is interesting to see small films that J.J. Abrams was involved with before he got well known. Paul Walker is good as the main lead, and Steve Zahn is pretty funny in it, but is not just the comic relief in it. Ted Levine is very scary good in it, gives off a very chilling voice that's honestly different from what I usually hear from horror films, and his character is a great villain that makes sense why he's doing that. The score by Marco Beltrami is effective for the film, and it has a lot of suspense to the point of making me worried for the characters. The problems I have with the film, is that the plot is not original, in fact, it reminds me a lot of Steven Spielberg's Duel which J.J. Abrams was influenced by, and Leelee Sobieski is just all right in it, nothing really special for her performance. In the end, Joy Ride is smarter than your average B movie and had a lot of great things in it to make it stand out on its own.
February 13, 2016
Good thriller. Felt like it had the potential mid-way through to become a great thriller. Regardless, it's a good movie that should give a few scares to non-Horror fans. Paul Walker as usual does a great job selling his part. And his nemesis in the movie has the perfect voice for the role. All in all it does come together pretty well, hence still warrants 3* imho.
½ February 5, 2016
Overall it's stupid and silly but compared to the rest of sires it's the best one
December 19, 2015
My favorite thriller of all time. Simple as that
December 2, 2015
Guilty pleasure. This is such a horrible movie. But, it is like a train wreak I cannot turn away from.
½ October 29, 2015
Ted Levine's voice. Something about it just commands a certain level of fear and respect. If I heard that voice on a CB radio, I sure as hell wouldn't be pulling pranks on it. Regrettably, Levine goes uncredited for his role. Everything else is entirely forgettable once the film is over. One viewing, if any, is all you'll need.
October 7, 2015
the suspense is nullified by how painfully predictabile the whole thing is. Throw in an achingly annoying character and you've got yourself the recipe for complete failure.
October 5, 2015
A really well done thriller.
½ September 22, 2015
A fun horror thriller.
September 17, 2015
A genuinely fantastic and well constructed thriller filled with all the tension build up you could ask for! A+
½ August 21, 2015