Jupiter Ascending Reviews

• 4h ago

Since "Cloud Atlas" may be my single most favorite movie, I'll probably have to give "Jupiter Ascending" another chance, as others have suggested here. With CA, however, I never once felt things ever got corny, even upon first viewing, so I don't have a lot of confidence in giving JA another go-around. In fact, the first time I tuned in to JA, I gave up after the first 15 minutes as it seemed like a befuddled mess. But since I'm SUCH a fan of Cloud Atlas, if I can make it to the end of Jupiter Ascending this time (I'm taking a short break as I write this), I'll give it a third shot at a later date and see if it unfolds the way CA did. I'll be honest and say I don't have a lot of confidence that it will at this point, but this is the Wachowskis here, who have my utmost respect. Cloud Atlas is a stunning piece of filmmaking and storytelling, so I'll hang with Jupiter here a bit more before a final verdict.

• Jun 05, 2021

Might be an overdone plot, but it was 2015, so what do you expect. Just giving the people what they like. Other than that, great visuals, and costumes, no stupid powers at the last minute to save the world. Loved how realistic they were with the immigrant family power dynamics and the daily struggle. Not like most movies, didn't absolutely botched Russian language and accents. Attention to detail.

• May 31, 2021

It’s not the greatest movie ever, but I love. Channing Tatum with pointed ears and blond hair. The Flash Gordon vins are also good,

• May 25, 2021

Cool moments and concepts meet bad writing and character design.

Cool moments and concepts meet bad writing and character design.

• May 04, 2021

All the cgi can't save this movie. It's a story about a Mary Sue who everyone just loves and respects. And she is also super important. The end. This is the result of a movie without story or character arcs.

• Apr 28, 2021

A gripping story of a young girl who lost her father before she was even born. Though the story writing is infatuating, it can be confusing in some cases.

• Apr 28, 2021

Super weird over the top, just cheesy. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. There was no chemistry between the characters. Just off.

• Apr 25, 2021

Too long....a sloppy Cinderella story...over kill on special effects should have worked on dialogs and providing some info to let the audience know how things worked. Poof clothes change, poof they kill people to stay young, poof things just blow up. Poof wished I watched something else.

• Apr 13, 2021

This movie shouldn't be good. In fact, it's not great. But I was entertained and it kept me watching. The story wasn't wonderful, but it wasn't awful? I went into this movie expecting to turn it off at some point, but Instead stayed to the end. The effects are over 5 years old now, but they still held up. If you NEED to watch ALL the sci-fi, this will be better than most.

• Mar 29, 2021

This felt like someone's power fantasy over someone who did them wrong in real life, but in movie form. 90% of the characters were boring, some of the acting was sub par, and no amount of cool graphics can change it. One of the critics said "I still don't know what Jupiter Ascending is about but, wow, what a ride." and I agree. Wow... What a ride. A terribly written ride. I remember watching it almost all the way through and then stopping a while ago. I wish I stopped again.