The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Longueur, longueur, longueur ... Rien d'excitant dans ce film ... désolé, pk c'est un classique ?!
July 24, 2017
Avildsen's film is a great coming of age story detailing not only the difficulties of a high school life but the layered depths of culture. Performances are good, Macchio delivers a decent portrayal of a character in social crisis. Morita is a god send and plays his mentor role well with a giddy and at times morally ambiguous role, he also plays the role with great depth. My only issue is that I found the initial and ongoing issues between both Daniel and Johnny petty throughout, annoying me more than anything. The film is also way too long at 2hr 8min with scenes feeling both repetitive and ultimately redundant in the first hour.
July 19, 2017
Fond memories, but always makes me wonder if I'd wonder what I liked so much if I saw it again today...
July 15, 2017
It follows the predictable underdog sports movie but none the less is a little better than the others, at least in my eye. I can't find any specific reason so it must be the scrip, directorial touch, cast, music, or some other thing I can't quite put my finger on, it may just be me having felt different and like an underdog for most of my teen years.
July 9, 2017
Not my cup of tea as well as the remake I just found it not enjoyable
July 2, 2017
Emotionally moving, The Karate Kid overcomes its predictability and premise with powerful messages and perfomances.
½ June 23, 2017
The Karate Kid is a bit too long, but overall it's an entertaining time.
June 21, 2017
it's still a classic worth watching can't wait to meet Ralph Macchio next month
½ May 25, 2017
5/25/2017 (2): A classic 80's flick!
½ May 15, 2017
Sure, it's predictable, but it's still such a satisfying movie. It's wonderfully reflective of the time it came out. Macchio and Morita have a great chemistry together and help make it so engaging. It would've been really interesting to see Mifune in the role though.
May 10, 2017
One of the greats of all time!
May 5, 2017
One of favorite movies of all time.
April 24, 2017
i want to see this movie
March 31, 2017
Pretty cool and good. Lots of good quotes. Acting was great as well. The karate action is also good.
March 30, 2017
The karate kid is a really good movie
March 29, 2017
There's something compelling to watch Macchio's relatable and likable character, Daniel, go through the practices with Mr. Miyagi (also played well by Pat Morita) and the interactions he has with his mom, girlfriend, and enemies. The blend of realism and over-the-top realism makes for a film that works really well as an underdog film.
The film could've handled its falling action from its climax a little better (what happens after the tournament??), but regardless, it teaches us how to make the best out of an alien environment you've never lived in before and people who you've never met/dealt with before.
January 26, 2017
un clasico de siempre
January 16, 2017
The original Karate Kid is an old classic from the 1980s. My kids watched this after watching the newer version and liked this one as well. Although this movie is from decades ago, it's still good educational material for teens about what is and is not an acceptable way for a male to behave toward a female, as well as a look at classic bullying and finding a way to defend against that and stand up to that.

It's also a story of a man and boy bonding, mentor teaching mentee and their heartwarming friendship. With a teenage romance thrown in.

One area where the original Karate Kid is different from the newer one is that Daniel's teen love interest Ali is struggling to shrug off her abusive and overbearing ex-boyfriend Johnny. Johnny doesn't want the relationship to be over. She said "no" and Johnny wouldn't take no for an answer. Daniel's interference with Johnny's bullying of Ali makes him the target of Johnny and all his bullying friends. The question is, if you can't win a karate tournament, how else can you make it stop? Because not everyone has a Mr. Miyagi to teach them self defense, turn them into a black belt, and mentor them to karate victory. The only option here is winning, but in real life another path might be necessary.

Without extra help and support from Daniel (or someone), would Ali have eventually given in to Johnny to make the harrassment stop, only to have it get far worse in the future?
½ January 5, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Even if it's predictable, The Karate Kid still manages to be well acted and choreographed, and at times is heart warming.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch