The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

September 24, 2016
Reducing the film down to one word, it's cheesy. Its dialogue is dry and untasteful and its bullies feel stereotypical. But the scenes between Macchio and Morita are dynamite, not to mention that the karate tournament at the end is well choreographed & photographed.
September 16, 2016
In my opinion, I think this movie "The Karate Kid (1984) is a spectacular and breathtaking. I think this movie teaches a lesson to the audience and the characters in the film as well. My reason is that everyone has to face there problems at some point instead of running away from them. That's exactly what "Daniel" did. He didn't know karate, but he was willing to learn it. Daniel's teacher was Miyagi. The apartment janitor and he trained him until he was ready for the Championship. At first Daniel thought he was doing free labor but it turn out that scrubbing and sanding has the same techniques like karate. This movie also shows that you shouldn't underestimate people because you never know what they are capable of, especially if you do not know them. Daniel moving from New Jersey to Southern California had a huge impact on him and it happens in the real world too. Adjusting to a new enviroment can be rough to teenagers now days. Overall, I give this movie a five star rating and I would gladly reccommend this movie to anybody and hopefully they enjoy it as much as I did !
½ September 8, 2016
Discipline. This would be a movie of martial arts indiscipline takes place in this movie. So I think of martial arts being a discipline but when I saw this movie I did not like it it was to boring for me so it was not my favorite
½ September 3, 2016
A fun eighties classic. Pat Morita delivers an unforgettable and iconic performance as Mr. Miyagi. (First and only full viewing - 5/17/2010)
August 22, 2016
It has all the hallmarks of an 80's coming of age drama and then throws in some karate. The montage scene is arguably the greatest of all time and the final fight scene will always make the hairs stand on the back of my neck. Originally, I do feel that Miyagi was a bit of chancer and was getting his whole house painted and car waxed for free, but over time he saw the potential in Danielson and schooled him to that elusive All-Valley Karte tournament trophy.
½ August 20, 2016
Daniel LaRusso is a teenager who along with his mother, moves from New Jersey to California. It's there that he has trouble making friends. He soon meets a girl but soon encounters her dick boyfriend who happens to be a karate champion. The boyfriend and his rebel crew make big trouble for Daniel. Daniel soon befriends the building manager, Mr. Myagi, a wise man from Okinawa who agrees to train Daniel for a local karate tournament. This sports drama isn't just about karate, it's about growing up, friendship and getting the girl. Beautifully directed by John G. Alvidsen.
August 6, 2016
John G Avildsen's The Karate Kid is without a doubt a great film. The Karate Kid is a classic and it is still a film worth seeing today. This film is very well directed and the cast is good here. Ralph Macchio and Pat Mortia are very good in this film and they are both definitely great actors. This film is dedicated to the memory of Pat Mortia. The Karate Kid is a film that is almost perfect. One thing I would change with this film is the fight scenes. Some fight scenes weren't as good as the others. But this is still a terrific film. Everyone in this film are brilliant actors and they all fit the roles that they play. I don't recommend watching the two sequels as they are poorly made and director John G Avildsen did not do as nearly a good a job with the two sequels as he did with this film. This is definitely a must see film.
½ July 12, 2016
The Karate Kid is definitely formulaic, but lovely performances from Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio turns this clich underdog story into a warm and honest movie.
½ July 3, 2016
Who doesn't love The Karate Kid, one of the most iconic sports films of all time? I know I do. For a pretty standard story, this film was well done. It has it's hoaky moments, but it's so enjoyable. I love the acting, the music, the writing, the characters, and the good life lessons it teaches. Daniel is a very likeable character. He's tough, but sensitive. He's determined, charmingly cocky, and just a nice kid. I felt so bad for him. I really wanted him to succeed. Mr. Miyagi is also a good character. He's confident and wise, and a good karate teacher. The relationship between these two is very warm and strong. Ali is likeable and she and Daniel make a pretty cute couple. The bully Johnny is a fun antagonist. The other villain, the teacher of Johnny's dojo John Kreese, is an enjoyable nut, even though I never got what is problem was. What else is there more to say? It's just a good film and it still holds up today. Predictable and standard, but very charming and passionate, The Karate Kid is and always will be a classic.
June 18, 2016
Un clasico del cine . sin duda
½ June 8, 2016
thanks to Miyagi Daniel-son is the best around! S/O Tangerine Dream for dope score
June 4, 2016
There's no denying The Karate Kid is a great movie, it is simply pure fun all the time.
½ May 19, 2016
The Karate Kid (1984) ??? 1/2
D: John G. Avildsen. Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Elisabeth Shue, Martin Kove, Randee Heller, William Zabka. Irresistible, crowd-pleasing look at relationship between young bullied Macchino and his new karate trainer and friend Morita. Exciting, charming, moving, funny, supremely acted. This was a sensation at the box office-and for good reason. Joe Esposito sings the familiar "You're The Best Around". Only complaint: It goes on a bit too long. Followed by two sequels and a remake in 2010.
May 15, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movies. Must have watched this hundreds of times on VHS. Never seems to get old and I'll watch it anytime it's on.
½ February 2, 2016
Filled with classic quotes and performances, The Karate Kid is a story we've all seen before, but the delivery is still as new and interesting today as it was back then.

V: 72%
February 2, 2016
Great from beginning to end.
January 26, 2016
A classical classic.One of my favorite films of all time.
December 21, 2015
December 7, 2015
A great 80's flick propped up by the great chemistry of Macchio and Morita.