The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

April 24, 2017
i want to see this movie
March 31, 2017
Pretty cool and good. Lots of good quotes. Acting was great as well. The karate action is also good.
March 30, 2017
The karate kid is a really good movie
March 29, 2017
There's something compelling to watch Macchio's relatable and likable character, Daniel, go through the practices with Mr. Miyagi (also played well by Pat Morita) and the interactions he has with his mom, girlfriend, and enemies. The blend of realism and over-the-top realism makes for a film that works really well as an underdog film.
The film could've handled its falling action from its climax a little better (what happens after the tournament??), but regardless, it teaches us how to make the best out of an alien environment you've never lived in before and people who you've never met/dealt with before.
January 26, 2017
un clasico de siempre
January 16, 2017
The original Karate Kid is an old classic from the 1980s. My kids watched this after watching the newer version and liked this one as well. Although this movie is from decades ago, it's still good educational material for teens about what is and is not an acceptable way for a male to behave toward a female, as well as a look at classic bullying and finding a way to defend against that and stand up to that.

It's also a story of a man and boy bonding, mentor teaching mentee and their heartwarming friendship. With a teenage romance thrown in.

One area where the original Karate Kid is different from the newer one is that Daniel's teen love interest Ali is struggling to shrug off her abusive and overbearing ex-boyfriend Johnny. Johnny doesn't want the relationship to be over. She said "no" and Johnny wouldn't take no for an answer. Daniel's interference with Johnny's bullying of Ali makes him the target of Johnny and all his bullying friends. The question is, if you can't win a karate tournament, how else can you make it stop? Because not everyone has a Mr. Miyagi to teach them self defense, turn them into a black belt, and mentor them to karate victory. The only option here is winning, but in real life another path might be necessary.

Without extra help and support from Daniel (or someone), would Ali have eventually given in to Johnny to make the harrassment stop, only to have it get far worse in the future?
½ January 5, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Even if it's predictable, The Karate Kid still manages to be well acted and choreographed, and at times is heart warming.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
November 25, 2016
The movie is a definite classic but Ralph Macchio is more annoying than charismatic and lovable.
½ November 23, 2016
1980s movies don't get much more iconic than this. Ralph Macchio plays a Brooklyn teen who moves out to LA where he's bullied by a group of nasty kung-fu fighting teens. Lucky for Ralph, his apartment handyman, Pat Morita, is a kung-fu master and trains Ralph for a big showdown with his rivals at the All-Valley Karate Competition. Also lucky for Ralph, he gets a super cute girlfriend, played by Elisabeth Shue, which really made me want to watch "Adventures in Babysitting" again. This entire movie is a complete cliche now and was really a crowd-pleasing cliche back when it came out, the tip off being that this film was directed by "Rocky" director John G. Avildsen. Still, this film absolutely works as perfect entertainment. The script was an early writing credit for Robert Mark Kamen, who in recent years has made a career of working with Luc Besson continuing to write derivative but entertaining action films ("Taken," "The Transporter," "The Fifth Element," "Kiss of the Dragon," etc.), so maybe that's his gift, taking a story you've seen hundreds of times before but doing it better than most. But it's really the cast who makes this film shine. Macchio is spot on as Daniel. Elizabeth Shue is 1980s gorgeous and a dream girlfriend. William Zabka is a terrifically smarmy jerk on the level of James Spader's "Pretty in Pink" jerk character. But it's really Pat Morita who steals the show as Mr. Miyagi. Morita's Miyagi has worked it's way into the pop culture lexicon by catching flies with chopsticks, "wax on, wax off," and spouting Yoda-like nuggets of wisdom. Overall, it would be pretty easy to take apart this film, but as corny as it is, it's wildly entertaining and nearly impossible to resist.
½ October 27, 2016
Me, Miagi cool, good South Park song at the end. Brought back memories
September 24, 2016
Reducing the film down to one word, it's cheesy. Its dialogue is dry and untasteful and its bullies feel stereotypical. But the scenes between Macchio and Morita are dynamite, not to mention that the karate tournament at the end is well choreographed & photographed.
September 16, 2016
In my opinion, I think this movie "The Karate Kid (1984) is a spectacular and breathtaking. I think this movie teaches a lesson to the audience and the characters in the film as well. My reason is that everyone has to face there problems at some point instead of running away from them. That's exactly what "Daniel" did. He didn't know karate, but he was willing to learn it. Daniel's teacher was Miyagi. The apartment janitor and he trained him until he was ready for the Championship. At first Daniel thought he was doing free labor but it turn out that scrubbing and sanding has the same techniques like karate. This movie also shows that you shouldn't underestimate people because you never know what they are capable of, especially if you do not know them. Daniel moving from New Jersey to Southern California had a huge impact on him and it happens in the real world too. Adjusting to a new enviroment can be rough to teenagers now days. Overall, I give this movie a five star rating and I would gladly reccommend this movie to anybody and hopefully they enjoy it as much as I did !
½ September 8, 2016
Discipline. This would be a movie of martial arts indiscipline takes place in this movie. So I think of martial arts being a discipline but when I saw this movie I did not like it it was to boring for me so it was not my favorite
½ September 3, 2016
A fun eighties classic. Pat Morita delivers an unforgettable and iconic performance as Mr. Miyagi. (First and only full viewing - 5/17/2010)
August 22, 2016
It has all the hallmarks of an 80's coming of age drama and then throws in some karate. The montage scene is arguably the greatest of all time and the final fight scene will always make the hairs stand on the back of my neck. Originally, I do feel that Miyagi was a bit of chancer and was getting his whole house painted and car waxed for free, but over time he saw the potential in Danielson and schooled him to that elusive All-Valley Karte tournament trophy.
½ August 20, 2016
Daniel LaRusso is a teenager who along with his mother, moves from New Jersey to California. It's there that he has trouble making friends. He soon meets a girl but soon encounters her dick boyfriend who happens to be a karate champion. The boyfriend and his rebel crew make big trouble for Daniel. Daniel soon befriends the building manager, Mr. Myagi, a wise man from Okinawa who agrees to train Daniel for a local karate tournament. This sports drama isn't just about karate, it's about growing up, friendship and getting the girl. Beautifully directed by John G. Alvidsen.
August 6, 2016
John G Avildsen's The Karate Kid is without a doubt a great film. The Karate Kid is a classic and it is still a film worth seeing today. This film is very well directed and the cast is good here. Ralph Macchio and Pat Mortia are very good in this film and they are both definitely great actors. This film is dedicated to the memory of Pat Mortia. The Karate Kid is a film that is almost perfect. One thing I would change with this film is the fight scenes. Some fight scenes weren't as good as the others. But this is still a terrific film. Everyone in this film are brilliant actors and they all fit the roles that they play. I don't recommend watching the two sequels as they are poorly made and director John G Avildsen did not do as nearly a good a job with the two sequels as he did with this film. This is definitely a must see film.
½ July 12, 2016
The Karate Kid is definitely formulaic, but lovely performances from Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio turns this cliché underdog story into a warm and honest movie.