The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

June 9, 2018
Somehow I had never seen this before, and while many of those "classic 80s" flicks that cater to young-white-males-the sort fawned over by the RPO crowd-are in truth just complete trash (Iron Eagle, I'm looking at you!), there's a sweetness and maturity here that has yet to diminish even 30+ years after release. Sure, it's totally formulaic, and no doubt it's cartoonish on every level, but the movie has enough heart and enough goofy humor to make you look past its shortcomings, seeing them instead as its quirky strengths.
May 30, 2018
this movie was incredible the characters were awesome the story was brilliant and it even made me take karate. Mr. myagi was funny Daniel was enjoyable an john kreese was so over the top. and johnny was a bad ass villain just like he's supposed to be
May 22, 2018
The movie that started it all. I especially love the dichotomy of the 2 styles of Karate shown. Touchy Feel, Comedic, Action, and Characters I actually care about.
½ May 22, 2018
5 stars with my 14 years old eyes - 2 stars with my today eyes, will bring to an average of 3.5 stars.
May 14, 2018
I've watched this film hundreds of times. It never gets old!
May 11, 2018
An iconic genre mixing story with a heart that can connect generations with almost flawless execution.
May 8, 2018
A true classic! The characters are relatable the soundtrack is amazing, and the '80's charm is in full swing! Pat Morita puts on a truly exceptional performance! Not to mention, that although somewhat cheesy at times it left me smiling throughout the movie! Also, William Zabka puts on an amazing performance as Johnny, you really just hate his guts! Also, Ralph Macchio puts on a great performance as underdog high schooler in a new place! And, the chemistry he had with Pat Morita really felt special! Also, the fight scenes are great and sometimes scary realistic! The tournament scene really lets you see the pay off of Daniel's training. And the song You're the best around by Joe Esposito gives off that inspirational "you got this" vibe. But, when Johnny sweeps Daniels leg, you really just hate his guts more and more! and then the scene where Miyagi heals his leg! Oh, the feels! I give this movie 5 stars and this is probably one of my favorite movies!
May 4, 2018
i loved this movie as a child in the 80's and decided to watch it again recently and to my surprise it's somehow even better than i remember watching it again in 2018
April 29, 2018
This is the true classic, probably the best Teen Movie there is. Also awesome music by Bill Conti. Also cool with the now coming Cobra Kai i wish i could watch it but cant access Youtube Red :(
April 20, 2018
How the h*ck (Pardon my foul mouth) is this not a 100% fresh, perfect movie. Like seriously have you even fr**king watched this thing (Sorry mom). It's so good I want to burn down my tree house, but my mom won't let me. Stupid mom, all good heroes have a sad backstory. I wish she would die so I could be orphaned like Batman. Then I would have to deal with childhood trauma and never get to be free of pain as my self destructive mental health accumulates into a psychotic need for power. Wait, that sounds awful, mom come back from the dead I'm sad and hungry! Anyway please change karate Kid to 100 and pay me so I can build more tree forts to burn.
-Love Jude Ewww
April 5, 2018
A fresh and profound classic that will never be forgotten.
March 26, 2018
One of the greatest martial arts films of all time
March 7, 2018
Awesome! The Karate Kid is one of my favorite movies all-time!
February 27, 2018
A standout 80s movie with a lot of heart.
Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita
as Mr. Miyagi is the true star of the movie and elevates it from high school nonsense into a movie you truly care about.
Ralph Macchio holds his own and was also a deserved break out star.

Elizabeth Shue is adorable as his love interest and the sequels would suffer due to her absence.
½ February 13, 2018
Avildsen hits the mark with The Karate Kid. Though predictable, one watching the movie will feel like he/she is in the middle of it all. The film also has an underrated, upbeat soundtrack.
January 26, 2018
A cliche story executed perfectly. Ralph Machio was great as Danie and is great in the sequel
jamrcla
January 20, 2018
Pretty good but cheesy in places, The fights were ok and it's acted well but it does have allot of scenes that were dragged out and can kill the whole tone of the film.
December 10, 2017
The Karate Kid is one of my all time favourite movies. There is not a negative thing to be said about it. It has everything a movie should have, a great and compelling storyline, a beautiful and strong relationship between our main characters Daniel and Miyagi, and the soundtrack by Bill Conti, which makes me want to pack a bag and explore the world every time I hear it. This movie is a very fun and exciting watch, with a wide range of genres from comedy to even romance that are all handled amazingly. You could call this movie cheesy or too basic, but that is what it was trying to do, so lets enjoy it! Enough said, this film is sick, I've loved it since I was a kid and I will love it for the rest of my like.
November 27, 2017
Awesome movie. Loved this movie as a kid. Had a good moral message.
September 24, 2017