The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

April 20, 2018
How the h*ck (Pardon my foul mouth) is this not a 100% fresh, perfect movie. Like seriously have you even fr**king watched this thing (Sorry mom). It's so good I want to burn down my tree house, but my mom won't let me. Stupid mom, all good heroes have a sad backstory. I wish she would die so I could be orphaned like Batman. Then I would have to deal with childhood trauma and never get to be free of pain as my self destructive mental health accumulates into a psychotic need for power. Wait, that sounds awful, mom come back from the dead I'm sad and hungry! Anyway please change karate Kid to 100 and pay me so I can build more tree forts to burn.
-Love Jude Ewww
April 5, 2018
A fresh and profound classic that will never be forgotten.
March 26, 2018
One of the greatest martial arts films of all time
March 7, 2018
Awesome! The Karate Kid is one of my favorite movies all-time!
February 27, 2018
A standout 80s movie with a lot of heart.
Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita
as Mr. Miyagi is the true star of the movie and elevates it from high school nonsense into a movie you truly care about.
Ralph Macchio holds his own and was also a deserved break out star.

Elizabeth Shue is adorable as his love interest and the sequels would suffer due to her absence.
½ February 13, 2018
Avildsen hits the mark with The Karate Kid. Though predictable, one watching the movie will feel like he/she is in the middle of it all. The film also has an underrated, upbeat soundtrack.
January 26, 2018
A cliche story executed perfectly. Ralph Machio was great as Danie and is great in the sequel
jamrcla
January 20, 2018
Pretty good but cheesy in places, The fights were ok and it's acted well but it does have allot of scenes that were dragged out and can kill the whole tone of the film.
December 10, 2017
The Karate Kid is one of my all time favourite movies. There is not a negative thing to be said about it. It has everything a movie should have, a great and compelling storyline, a beautiful and strong relationship between our main characters Daniel and Miyagi, and the soundtrack by Bill Conti, which makes me want to pack a bag and explore the world every time I hear it. This movie is a very fun and exciting watch, with a wide range of genres from comedy to even romance that are all handled amazingly. You could call this movie cheesy or too basic, but that is what it was trying to do, so lets enjoy it! Enough said, this film is sick, I've loved it since I was a kid and I will love it for the rest of my like.
November 27, 2017
Awesome movie. Loved this movie as a kid. Had a good moral message.
September 24, 2017
Classic movie, classic music, classic Bill Conti
½ August 18, 2017
Longueur, longueur, longueur ... Rien d'excitant dans ce film ... désolé, pk c'est un classique ?!
July 24, 2017
Avildsen's film is a great coming of age story detailing not only the difficulties of a high school life but the layered depths of culture. Performances are good, Macchio delivers a decent portrayal of a character in social crisis. Morita is a god send and plays his mentor role well with a giddy and at times morally ambiguous role, he also plays the role with great depth. My only issue is that I found the initial and ongoing issues between both Daniel and Johnny petty throughout, annoying me more than anything. The film is also way too long at 2hr 8min with scenes feeling both repetitive and ultimately redundant in the first hour.
July 19, 2017
Fond memories, but always makes me wonder if I'd wonder what I liked so much if I saw it again today...
July 15, 2017
It follows the predictable underdog sports movie but none the less is a little better than the others, at least in my eye. I can't find any specific reason so it must be the scrip, directorial touch, cast, music, or some other thing I can't quite put my finger on, it may just be me having felt different and like an underdog for most of my teen years.
July 9, 2017
Not my cup of tea as well as the remake I just found it not enjoyable
July 2, 2017
Emotionally moving, The Karate Kid overcomes its predictability and premise with powerful messages and perfomances.
½ June 23, 2017
The Karate Kid is a bit too long, but overall it's an entertaining time.
June 21, 2017
it's still a classic worth watching can't wait to meet Ralph Macchio next month
½ May 25, 2017
5/25/2017 (2): A classic 80's flick!