The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

December 10, 2017
The Karate Kid is one of my all time favourite movies. There is not a negative thing to be said about it. It has everything a movie should have, a great and compelling storyline, a beautiful and strong relationship between our main characters Daniel and Miyagi, and the soundtrack by Bill Conti, which makes me want to pack a bag and explore the world every time I hear it. This movie is a very fun and exciting watch, with a wide range of genres from comedy to even romance that are all handled amazingly. You could call this movie cheesy or too basic, but that is what it was trying to do, so lets enjoy it! Enough said, this film is sick, I've loved it since I was a kid and I will love it for the rest of my like.
November 27, 2017
Awesome movie. Loved this movie as a kid. Had a good moral message.
September 24, 2017
Classic movie, classic music, classic Bill Conti
½ August 18, 2017
Longueur, longueur, longueur ... Rien d'excitant dans ce film ... désolé, pk c'est un classique ?!
July 24, 2017
Avildsen's film is a great coming of age story detailing not only the difficulties of a high school life but the layered depths of culture. Performances are good, Macchio delivers a decent portrayal of a character in social crisis. Morita is a god send and plays his mentor role well with a giddy and at times morally ambiguous role, he also plays the role with great depth. My only issue is that I found the initial and ongoing issues between both Daniel and Johnny petty throughout, annoying me more than anything. The film is also way too long at 2hr 8min with scenes feeling both repetitive and ultimately redundant in the first hour.
July 19, 2017
Fond memories, but always makes me wonder if I'd wonder what I liked so much if I saw it again today...
July 15, 2017
It follows the predictable underdog sports movie but none the less is a little better than the others, at least in my eye. I can't find any specific reason so it must be the scrip, directorial touch, cast, music, or some other thing I can't quite put my finger on, it may just be me having felt different and like an underdog for most of my teen years.
July 9, 2017
Not my cup of tea as well as the remake I just found it not enjoyable
July 2, 2017
Emotionally moving, The Karate Kid overcomes its predictability and premise with powerful messages and perfomances.
½ June 23, 2017
The Karate Kid is a bit too long, but overall it's an entertaining time.
June 21, 2017
it's still a classic worth watching can't wait to meet Ralph Macchio next month
½ May 25, 2017
5/25/2017 (2): A classic 80's flick!
½ May 15, 2017
Sure, it's predictable, but it's still such a satisfying movie. It's wonderfully reflective of the time it came out. Macchio and Morita have a great chemistry together and help make it so engaging. It would've been really interesting to see Mifune in the role though.
May 10, 2017
One of the greats of all time!
May 5, 2017
One of favorite movies of all time.
April 24, 2017
i want to see this movie
March 31, 2017
Pretty cool and good. Lots of good quotes. Acting was great as well. The karate action is also good.
March 30, 2017
The karate kid is a really good movie
March 29, 2017
There's something compelling to watch Macchio's relatable and likable character, Daniel, go through the practices with Mr. Miyagi (also played well by Pat Morita) and the interactions he has with his mom, girlfriend, and enemies. The blend of realism and over-the-top realism makes for a film that works really well as an underdog film.
The film could've handled its falling action from its climax a little better (what happens after the tournament??), but regardless, it teaches us how to make the best out of an alien environment you've never lived in before and people who you've never met/dealt with before.
January 26, 2017