The Karate Kid Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Part II Reviews

January 6, 2017
4.5 out of 10:

Even if it has its heartwarming moments and intense scenes, Karate Kid Part 2 feels like a slow retread of the first movie.
½ December 31, 2016
The first movie was better than this
September 3, 2016
My least favorite of any of the movies in the franchise, but even this wasn't bad. It was a little annoying and boring at times. (First and only viewing - 5/18/2010)
August 24, 2016
I don't understand why most people are hard on this sequel! It's not perfect I know, but at least it's not corny or lame like certain sequels to other films. Yeah, the villian looks like he's plucked out of the hit video game Street Fighter, but he was a very scary antagonist to mess with! It's a shame that the 3rd film was a step down from this one!
August 22, 2016
I was never a fan of this sequel and over thirty years later, I still don't like it. It had the potential for a double kick ass finale, with both Miyagi and Danielson having scores to settle. The only highlight for me is Peter Cetera's Glory Of Love.
½ August 20, 2016
Daniel and Mr. Myagi travel to Okinawa and encounter Myagis nephew, who soon battles Daniel for a girl again. Daniel wins thanks to some hand drums that magically make Daniel strong again kind of like Okinawan spinach.
August 6, 2016
This sequel to The Karate Kid is a disappointment. Not even close to being as good as the first. It was a good idea to make a sequel but I expected more out of this film. John G Avildsen returns as director in this film and he didn't manage to make this a good sequel which is a shame because the first film is so good and memorable, yet this sequel is poor and forgettable. I was looking forward to watching this film and expected it to be a good one. It is a whole new idea of Ralph Macchio and Pat Mortia travelling to Japan to settle an old score, I did quite like the idea but ultimately it just didn't work out as well as the creators of this sequel wanted it to. Pat Mortia and Ralph Macchio were still good in this film which is obviously good to see, but the acting from other characters in this film was pretty poor. I suppose it was difficult to make a second great film but they could have tried harder. Joke of a film.
½ June 8, 2016
everyone should know about daniel son. miyagi sums up this movie best with line "this no tournament daniel son, this real life"
½ May 19, 2016
Sentimental overload.
May 16, 2016
Sure it does have its flaws (that nose honk at the end still bothers me) but as a continuation of the original it's still pretty fucking excellent. We even danced to "Glory of Love" at my wedding thanks to this movie.
January 26, 2016
Though I'm glad they developed Miyagi's story in Japan, I always wondered why they didn't stay in Reseda and develop Daniel's story - I guess maybe because there isn't much of story there to develop, the Karate kid 3 pretty much proves that.
½ January 3, 2016
"Karate Kid 1, good movie, Karate Kid 2, not good at all". Miyagi-san
December 30, 2015
The Karate Kid, Part II offers a surprising amount of character development and story when it's not being a derivative retread of plot points from its predecessor.
December 7, 2015
A sharp fall from the grace of the first movie.
October 1, 2015
Danny is up with the worst movie protagonists in all of movie history. Miyagi was excellent though
½ September 6, 2015
Rating: 52%
The amazing action sequences unfortunately can't help The Karate Kid Part II feel overly familiar and greatly inferior to its predecessor.
September 5, 2015
Superior to the original in my mind
½ August 30, 2015
Terrific sequel to Karate Kid thanks to the chemistry of Macchio and Morita. Wasn't a hit with critics but I really enjoyed the Okinawa storyline. The performances by the Asian cast are splendid. Elizabeth Shue is history but Macchio and Tamilyn Tomita are far better together. The soul of the first film is back and even stronger in the followup. This could have turned into a memorable franchise if they hadn't screwed up the third one so badly.