13% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Katy Perry: Part of Me Reviews

Spencer S

April 4, 2013
I am not personally the biggest Katy Perry fan, neither do I frequently listen only to pop music, because I lean more towards alternative and classic hard rock, BUT I do know all the Katy Perry discography and have listened to her songs on the radio since the infamous, "I Kissed a Girl." She is everywhere, whether in a positive way or negative and through it all this film shows she doesn't care. She doesn't care if you think her songs are repetitive, that her costumes look like the bargain bin at a clown costuming shop, or that she can't sing. She blows through all that hate and this documentary won't even give haters the dignity to be onscreen. Instead it's about Perry's rise to fame, her rough start, her life as a performer, and briefly even touches on her marriage and divorce at the time of filming. Katy Perry shows herself as a positive role model for children, teenagers, and adults alike, puts on one hell of a show, and all the while remains exhausted thanks to a lengthy tour schedule and her divorce from comedian Russell Brand. They show a lot of scenes where the married couple are so loving, and close, and the film even builds up that love story. Astonishingly enough, during the divorce from Russell Brand we get to see Perry break down moments before getting on stage for a giant concert and then do it all anyway, one of the most poignant moments of the film. More than that we get to see who Perry is, fusing both biography and concert film. She started in gospel, and amazingly enough tried to release an album that has music even I would be drawn to, apparently inspired by Alanis Morisette. She was blocked repeatedly, and eventually made this confectionary sugar laced music, which made her huge. I thought the concert footage was great, that she showed her true self and not just the happy face she puts on for fans and the audience, and that takes a lot of guts. No matter what you think about her music, as a person she shows herself to be genuine and sweet, which makes this all the more enjoyable.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 21, 2013
Be yourself and you can be anything.

Good documentary movie! Like her music or not, this film is so much more than that. This is a behind the scenes look at the side of music you don't see very often. Every star has their ways of doing things, but here seeing what Perry, and obviously many others like her go through both personally and physically to deliver what the fans clamor for should give you a new respect for both her and the performers in general. What's really crazy is that you can't help but enjoy this movie due to the simple fact that it exhumes joy on every level. It's like you fell off a cloud into a real life candy land and will bring a smile to your face.

More of a music documentary than a concert video, Katy Perry: Part of Me chronicles Perry's year-long California Dreams World Tour in 2011 with an abundance of personal interviews, film of Perry interacting with her fans, and concert footage from California and around the globe. Absolutely bursting with energy, Perry's a fascinating singer, songwriter, and performer who's faced a fair amount of adversity in her career, and whose upbringing was very different than that of most pop stars. This film plays at times almost like a video diary. Perry philosophizes about everything from growing up in a strictly Pentecostal Christian family to her fairy-tale outlook on life, costuming choices, how her own experiences and emotions influence her lyrics and music, her drive to remain true to herself, and the difficulty of sustaining a long-distance marriage with actor Russell Brand. There's also plenty of footage with Perry's costumers, makeup artists, various assistants, and friends, including actress Shannon Woodward. But some of the most interesting interviews are those with her sister Angela Hudson, who travels with show, and her mother and father regarding their commitment to accepting and supporting Perry and her career despite potential conflicts with their religious views. One discussion that's oddly omitted is any hint of why Perry changed her name. While the personal and backstage footage is heartfelt and quite intriguing, the film seemed somewhat lacking in actual concert footage, though viewers are treated to at least parts of "Firework," "California Gurls," "Part of Me," "Last Friday Night," and "Peacock."
Everett J

September 22, 2012
First thing first, I'm not a big fan of her type of music, but Katy Perry does have some good songs. You can't deny over the last few years she has probably had more hits(good hits anyway) than anybody. "Part of Me" is a documentary following her on her latest tour. It gives a look at her past, her on and off stage, and you get to see her life through the ups and downs. Not sure how much is genuine and what was a put on, but it's very entertaining and interesting to see her at the beginning when things are great, then at the end when her marriage is falling apart and the tour is coming to an end. I like music documentaries like this, and while not one of my favorite, it is better than most. Perry comes out as a good natured person, and as my wife says "really down to earth". The scenes where she is interacting with fans are great(especially one with a make a wish kid). If your not a Perry fan, you could be after watching this. If your a fan, then this is definitely for you. It was made in 3D, and I didn't get a chance to watch it in 3D but I'm sure the concert footage really popped(especially when her boobs spin, yeah I said it). Good flick that all music fans will probably enjoy.
Cynthia S

September 17, 2012
I'm not the biggest fan of the music, but I do appreciate her talent. I, also, recognize her charm, and her fun, glowing personality. This movie really let all that shine. Too bad she had to marry a jerk....
axadntpron
axadntpron

September 19, 2012
In a time when national unity is of paramount importance, one would be hard-pressed to find a topic with more vitriolic disagreement and disunity than the one regarding a miss Katheren Perry. It seems that America is divided into two camps. Either her lush melodies and the fantastical pageantry of her live shows bring you momentous joy, or endless rage.

Of course, she is a bona fida star. You would have to have lived in a hole for the better part of the past decade in order to not be infected by her songs. And you would have to have had your eyes gouged out in order to not see her gorgeous mug, which has graced nearly every publication found at your local magazine stand. (Last year's Field & Stream featured quite a provocative cover of her naked, straddling an Alligator)

Of course, when one reaches that caliber of stardom it is impossible not to have an opinion about them. These opinions range from extreme to extreme.
In fact, were I to dare assert that Katy Perry is not your average pop star, but a distinct, singular, firework amidst a sea of dim flares, my compatriots would surely accost me saying, "How can you call yourself a music fan, but still claim to enjoy this filth! You swine! Get behind me Satan!"

Even in this post 9-11 world riddled with ominous terror threats and the pervasive fear that our nation is on the brink of implosion, most people do not stifle their disdain for the pop sensation. Which is heartbreaking to say the least. Tis a sad state of affairs when a group of people cannot agree on something that is so flagrantly obvious.

Katy Perry is an angel sent straight from heaven. Although her wings may elude the naked eye, the refrains that escape her lips are unmistakably not of this world.

As one can glean from the above paragraphs, I am not demure about my devotion to ms. Perry. So the thought of spending an hour and 1/2 with the pop princess thrilled me to say the least.

Is it a puff piece? Yes. Is it a well-done puff piece? Very much so.

Look, I wasn't expecting 8 & 1/2 or an exegesis of the Syrian Civil War. I only desired to see Katy. Ostentatiously adorned in peculiar garb, belting out hit after hit whilst genderless pixies frolic and cavort on stage around her. All in glorious HD.

Does it have this? In spades

So if the thought of seeing Katy Perry in glorious 3D makes you cringe, then it might be best to stay away. If the thought stirs up a bit of excitement in your belly, then like the dust brings forth a sneeze, let her presence bring forth your smile.
Kevin C

July 23, 2012
It's a glorious, visually popping Wikipedia page reading.
Matthew Samuel M

May 26, 2012
Perry impresses with her strong vocals and warm persona, but the film itself is powerful emotionally as a result of Perry's persistence as a performer, despite a tearful breakdown backstage, and a brief salute to God after singing the inspiring "Firework."
KJ P

July 7, 2012
I have never been a huge fan of the music-driven documentary stories about how an outcast became famous, but I must say that Katy Perry's story is very inspiring and it was a blast to watch. She has a great personality and her music is excellent. It may not show it's audience everything they want to see, but it succeeds in bringing the emotions of real life and the consequences that we all face. The one thing I looks for in a documentary is the editing, because the story is never "original" per say, the celebrity's life is what is driving the story, so there is nothing creative on the writers side. That being said, the editing in this film is fantastic and they chose a lot of sequences that flowed well together. All in all, "Katy Perry: Part of Me" was very enjoyable, but I felt like it was a little short and they could have added a little more substance from her life if she was already willing to share her life with the world.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

January 12, 2013
When it comes to music I don't pay much attention to Katy Perry like everyone else. This documentary won't win her any new fans, but you will have some respect for the musical artist after it's over.

Katy Perry: Part of Me is a documentary that chronicles Katy Perry's life on and off-stage. It goes into details about Katy's career from when she used to be a christian gospel artist to where the pop sensation she is now. We get some interview with her family members and friends of her which does add some more insight for those for really don't much about her. The great thing about this documentary, unlike The Jonas Brothers 3D Concert Experience, is that it actually shows Katy Perry doing hard work. She didn't become an over night sensation which makes the aspects of her struggles all the more interesting. She worked hard to be where she is which this documentary does showcase well. Though some of the editing could have been improved. The concerts scenes are often interrupted by cutaways or a voice over. Katy Perry is a singer and it's disappointed that every time she performs on stage we don't see her doing what she does best without some kind of interruption. This a documentary that's not only fans, even someone like me who doesn't pay much attention to her was able to enjoy it.

Now no musical documentary would be complete without some kind of judgement of the actual music itself. I think it's okay, but fans of the pop genre will definitely enjoy it more. I do think that Katy Perry is a talented song writer and it shows. Especially with her song "Hummingbird Heartbeat" being the best which has a simple message, but a creative way of telling it. Now there are songs that don't really have much of a point. In particular the popular song "California Girls" which I only heard once on the radio and again for this review. Sure it's a fun song, but is it really something you would want to listen to years from now? Generally speaking her music is a mixed bag. For every good personal experience one could relate too like "The One Who Away" you'll get something pointless like "I Kissed Girl" that does little to show her true talent.

Katy Perry: Part of Me is a documentary that even non-fans of her music can enjoy. You will learn more about the popular singer and even if you don't become a fan of her music you will discover that she actually deserves her fame for her hard work unlike some artists.
Dann M

October 16, 2012
While pop sensation Katy Perry may only have limited musical talent, she proves to be quite a showman in her concert film Katy Perry: Part of Me. It follows Katy Perry's 2011 world tour and provides some background information as to how Perry got her start in the music business. But there's very little depth to the film, and it doesn't offer much of an insight into Perry, her music, or her concerts. What we get is a slick and stylized compilation of footage showing her bombastic concert shows, and interviews with the crew members and fans singing her praises. Katy Perry: Part of Me is mostly a propaganda film, but it also captures the fun and excitement of the concert experience.
Glides
Glides

August 28, 2012
Only my hysterical experience watching the Justin Bieber film, and the many moments of inadvertent humor it provided, was what motivated me to watch this. It makes Bieber's fluff piece look like an Oscar winner.
It's essentially the same thing, if Bieber was a woman and had even worse fashion sense. The two literally had the exact same background, although Perry is a prime example of using sex appeal to get famous. She was initially one of those Christian singers, and it wasn't until she got raunchy and started letting her tits hang out that she got attention. The failed marriage with Russell Brand is also given some mention, although it can't be too good if you start laughing whenever Perry starts crying.
The highlights of the film are the moments which were clearly not intended to be there. The best of them are near the beginning, where a camera catches Perry in a skintight pantsuit wiggling her ass at a mirror, screaming out "Look at my ass! It looks like Nicki Minaj!" Even funnier, when Perry, introduced to a pregnant fan, gingerly touches her belly, feeling the baby kick, and going into a literal panic attack, screaming at everyone who will listen, "There's something in her belly!" There's a billion more little moments like this, and I was literally on the floor crying, I was laughing that hard.
While the Bieber film was clearly made, and purposely filmed in such a way that he wouldn't seem like a total idiot, Perry did not have such luck. While Bieber barely said a word throughout the film, Perry is caught every moment she talks, and she's so hysterically stupid that you will be laughing the whole way through. Imagine the ditzy preppy girl at your old high school who could barely complete a sentence. Perry was clearly that girl when she was a teenager.
And yet it is the worst film of the year so far. Every inch of it smacks of fluff piece and publicity stunt. And hopefully movies like this will stop appearing in theaters.
Philip P

September 14, 2012
Like an extended episode of Behind the Music, "Katy Perry: Part of Me" follows the well worn pattern of aspiring pop star who was destined for greatness only to achieve it and see it isn't everything she dreamed it would be yet fighting through those tough times allows her to prevail and come out on top, stronger than ever. We have all seen the story before, we all know where it's going (and that's not just because the tabloids cover Perry like crazy) because the filmmakers have made sure to make this documentary/concert film as formulaic as possible. I say that, but it is impossible not to be sucked into the world of the music industry and the behind the scenes access that the film grants us. Whether you are a fan of Perry's music or not will likely depend on if you decide to check this out, but even if you don't go for her ultra-pop , candy-infused tunes the way in which she went through a transformation and several incarnations before becoming the famous singer she is today is quite intriguing. Also, is the way a woman vocalist with seemingly little more to offer than her somewhat average voice decided it was clear that she become the next big star. How she accomplished that is what beings you into her world and for all her quirkiness you see Perry for the person she truly is. A giving, funny, talented, and ambitious individual who is grateful for all she has been blessed with and doesn't seem to take such an opportunity for granted. I would have loved for the film to be longer, more in depth, but the agenda is clear here and we know exactly where the line will be drawn. Despite its shortcomings this is a well shot look into the life of one of today's biggest pop stars and will likely be more engaging the more time passes.
Sylvester K

April 10, 2012
A self-important documentary on the life of Katy Perry backstage. Expected so much more than the thought of "Nobody cares" The initial random interviews were dreadful but the montages that followed was quite good. It's really sad to see how pathetic people are. The whole crew was disturbing, but good thing was that Katy didn't lip-sync. Don't even get me started on the editing, it was so bad for a documentary film. It's just merely a fashion show parade featuring only Katy herself. And the comments that the fans made were simply unintelligent, hopefully they don't breed.
m h

July 14, 2012
I actually really really enjoyed this documentary. I had always liked her music, but I have gained so much respect for her. She works so hard at what she does. And she's got some real talent there. It's so refreshing hearing her sing live, or hearing her sing acapella, or hearing her sing her gospel music when she was a teen. She's got talent. And I love how much she cares for the fans. She really takes the time to meet them and chat with them. It's very nice. She's dedicated to what she does. I also liked getting that perspective into her life both the ups and downs. And don't judge me but I actually started tearing up during the part where her and Russell break up. And her talking about how she misses him.

All i can say, is she felt so genuine, and happy. She just seems like a cool person to hang out with. I went into this movie not knowing what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.
February 24, 2014
As with any music documentary, your enjoyment of this will depend on how well you like the artist. This is a well-made documentary, which captures a likable Katy Perry shortly after her meteoric rise, in what is likely to be her career peak. It may be a bit premature to make a documentary when the story is just unfolding, but from a marketing standpoint, it will sell more now than later. It is a seemingly balanced look into the world of a pop star and the music industry. The movie does not put her on a pedestal by over glamorizing her life nor does it paint her as some miserable martyr. The most interesting part of the film goes into Perry's upbringing and road to get a record deal. I gained respect for her in that she started as a simple Christian singer and singer songwriter, who actually could play an instrument and write her own material. The music business is sadly more about image than substance, but it seems as if Katy has found her place in that system without totally compromising herself as a person. It shows that the life of a music star can be a lot of fun, but that it comes with sacrifices. So far, Katy appears to work hard and does not take her fans or her success for granted. She seems to handle a grueling pace of stardom and without breaking down or falling into substance abuse. Hopefully, she handles the rest of her career and inevitable decline just as gracefully.
August 23, 2013
My girlfriend made me watch it... If you really like Katy Perry, I guess this would be an ok documentary...
July 5, 2013
I'll be entirely honest, I thought this would be somewhat of a joke. I expected about half of the movie to be actual concert footage (which it was) and the other half to be rehearsed and scripted "behind the scenes" stuff (which it was not). That half was actually a pretty interesting and insightful look into her past and how she got her big break and the behind the scenes footage was very revealing, and not in a perverted way, lol. Obviously if you're not a fan of Kay Perry's music then you probably won't care to watch but if you don't mind it or of course are a fan then it's actually worth checking out.
February 23, 2013
I was held hostage on a plane that blasted this movie without our choice. I needed therapy after being forced to endure this movie. The only saving grace was Russell Brand.
July 3, 2012
Made me fall in love w her all over again. It's amazing to see how hard she worked for what she has now & it's sad to see how her relationship fell apart no matter what she did to make it work. Such a sweet girl & you can see how much she loves her fans. <3