Killers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killers Reviews

October 19, 2017
Starring two actors with nonexistent chemistry, idiotic characters, an uneven tone and a bland script, Killers is an unfunny and forgettable spy comedy.
July 14, 2017
First of all, let me clarify that I really, really wanted to like this movie. From a personal standpoint, I know someone who was an integral part of the moviemaking process for "Killers," so I had high hopes when I put the DVD into the player. But as the DVD was ejected and placed back in the sleeve, all I had was questions about why the movie wasn't any better.

The basic elements of what moviegoers would have wanted to see were there. Romance? Check. Spencer (Ashton Kutcher) and Jen (Katherine Heigl) make an attractive screen couple, but the chemistry between the two never really builds to where they completely make sense. Early on, we almost connect with Jen in her neediness, but as the movie progresses she mainly becomes a bit boring. Spencer, meanwhile, adds a little bit of action and intrigue in the first 15 minutes or so, but by the time he melds into the 'burbs, we find ourselves wishing we could go back to those 15 minutes because they were so much more interesting.

How about action? Check ... kind of. Again, those first 15 minutes have some fun moments, but between then and the last half hour or so, it's dullsville. We're mainly focused on the humdrum of Jen and Spencer's lives, and wondering if Spencer will get back into the spy business so that we can enjoy the movie again.

Comedy? Sometimes. Honestly, the movie is never as funny as you'd think it should be. There are some genuine laughs, but comedies need them to come early and often, and the chortles in "Killers" don't happen nearly often enough.

Mystery? Check. But the cliffhanger in "Killers" takes way too long to develop. You really only find out what the heck is going on in the last five minutes. And by then, it's pretty much too late to care about.

Honestly, on too many levels "Killers" feels like a bit of a mess. Director Robert Luketic never really establishes a good pace to the film, and too many of the performances feel like cardboard cutouts instead of well-developed characters. At first, the movie moves so slowly that it threatens to put you to sleep, but once the action starts it becomes so frenetic that it's unnerving. There simply doesn't seem to be any deliberate design about the way "Killers" unfolds.

After doing a little research, it seems like the studio meddled way too much in the making of "Killers" and even had a second screenwriter do a rewrite of the screenplay, including on-set changes to satisfy what the producers thought audiences wanted to see. The result is the same as having 10 different cooks tweak a recipe, each one making changes without checking what the other cooks had already done. The initial screenplay by Bob DeRosa might not have been perfect, but it certainly couldn't have been as bad as "Killers" turned out to be.

In the end, "Killers" is a cautionary tale of moviemaking. Directors - and studios - need to have vision, and it doesn't need to stem from focus groups and marketing analysis. Audiences ultimately love romance, humor and coherence - elements that are not nearly present enough in "Killers."
½ May 22, 2017
Has its times, but overall bland and un-original.
½ January 30, 2017
It is hard to see Ashton Kutcher as an international super-spy. Easier seeing Heigl as a wife struggling with suddenly being put into the position of defending her husband with a gun. But Killers is funny.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 6, 2016
Girl gets dumped and meets a super spy while on vacation with her parents.
½ July 31, 2016
The movie seems lifeless, the situations that come to them seem impossible and very fictional. Not realistic.
May 20, 2016
Ashton Kutcher fucking sucks as an actor.
December 26, 2015
It was funny with action. Nothing wrong with that.
November 24, 2015
very typical cutesy movie
½ November 21, 2015
Very strange screenplay and script using an idea that's been done better and funnier several times previously. The flatlining chemistry between the two leads does this no favours at all, although to be fair there are some moments of mirth in the final third. A wasted opportunity.
½ October 25, 2015
Mr and Mrs Smith as a romantic comedy ... except with very little romance and very little comedy and little of anything else at all. Yawn.
½ September 6, 2015
Another great Sunday movie! If not about an hour too long! ???
September 4, 2015
There's some fun to be had with the premise, but in the end it ends up being just another rom com.
July 27, 2015
Katherine Heigl is slowly becoming the next Sandra Bullock...granted, she does still have a long way to go to get there, but she's on her way...this is a very violent movie for a PG movie, it's not overly funny, most of the funny parts are in the last half of the movie but the action makes up for the lack of laughs.
July 8, 2015
A cliched unfunny comedy..
June 7, 2015
Screw Ashton Kutcher, 'nuff said.
June 4, 2015
I watched this by accident the other day on TV. I kept watching to see if it would get better. It didn't really. It's one of those "not horrible but not great either" movies. It treads closely to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, without the wife also being a spy. Some of the story details are a bit lacking, they sped up the dating part to boom- they're married, and literally EVERYone in their suburban idyllic life is actually a planted spy. (SPOILER ALERT SORRY). It was ok, I watched it for Ashton Kutcher, I hate Katherine Heigl with a passion. Usher made a cute cameo.
May 9, 2015
Amazing. Comedy, action and romance all rolled up into one. Love the two of them together.
March 29, 2015
Loved it I found it funny and I loved that it also had action in there