Killing Them Softly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Them Softly Reviews

February 25, 2018
From the opening title sequence of this film, you know you're in for something different.

On paper, 'Killing Them Softly' wouldn't seem all that remarkable. A movie involving a heist, hitmen and corruption is something we've all seen many, many times before. However, with Writer/Director Andrew Dominik at the helm, this is one gangster flick that rises above the heap of mediocre, 'Goodfellas' wannabes. Dominik takes that simple story, and not only infuses it with a potent message about corporate America, but also brings a piercing style that's impossible to ignore. His direction, coupled with the gorgeous cinematography courtesy of Greig Fraser, really gives this movie a unique feel. Everything seems so meticulous and carefully crafted that my jaw dropped a number of times. The cast also do a great job and, although I feel many people unfairly dismissed this movie due to its poor marketing that made Brad Pitt seem as though he was the main star, his understated yet powerful performance must be noted. The social commentary that runs throughout the movie was a great idea, and at times it's used really effectively (e.g. the end). Sometimes, however, it didn't quite have the impact I feel it could have done, had it been fleshed out a little better. Nonetheless, this was a tight, efficient mob movie with a difference, that I would highly recommend seeking out.
½ February 16, 2018
Men. Sitting. Talking. Bitching. Incessantly. About boring shit. The dullest movie I have seen in years.
October 29, 2017
I think it's the pacing that gets people. This movie has weird fucking pacing. I ended up vibing to its wavelength, but I can see how you wouldn't. It strikes me as the kind of movie that will be revered as a stone-cold classic in a few decades.
October 22, 2017
Coulda been so much better. Emjoyed Gandolfini's performance tho
October 17, 2017
IN the scuzz-ball cantina of down-town low-life, this brilliant little drama and exposure of universal capitalism plays itself out with calm, measured authority. Beautifully shot and directed by Roger Deakins and Anthony Dikkon, respectively, Brad Pitt fulfills a contract as a sleazy but efficient hit man. With a literate script and wonderful perfomances particularly from Pitt and James Gandolphini the film lies like a velvet carpet over a gloomy rust patch.
½ July 29, 2017
Not sure why this film rates so poorly with audiences in general. Each to their own, as always with the subjective medium of moviemaking, but I really enjoyed this. Tense, thrilling, and funny, with some fantastic performances and especially by Brad Pitt - who I think turns in one of his best - and some nice directorial flourishes, both visually and aurually, with a balanced pacing and a simple and straight-forwarded plot. 4.5/5*
½ May 24, 2017
Using a mob story to comment on the current financial crisis is certainly a sound idea, but Killing Them Softly pretty much squanders all the potential it's premise might have had. Writter/director Andrew Dominik frankly under-values the intelligence of his audience members, as the film consistently berates viewers with audio/video clippings of politicians (namely Barack Obama) talking about the recession. It's a tactic that feels immensely heavy-handed, and also stylistically at odds with the film's mobster movie backdrop. The pacing is also very jarring, as the dialogue-driven scenes are lengthy and undercut any momentum the film is attempting, and even at just 90 minutes the film comes across as sluggish. Certainly commendable for it's performance and filmmaking (albeit Dominik's adherence to viscera can sometimes be excessive), but for a film that seems so concerned with a "pressing-issue" it rings more as hollow than anything else.
½ May 14, 2017
It's stylish, yes; it's well constructed, yes; nicely acted; funny and captures the spirit of the time well, but it's somehow feels shallow and empty. Behind the beautiful wrap is nothing.
April 10, 2017
well directed and well acted by a star studded cast of great actors but a bit convuluted and overreaching to the point of pretention for my case. Might need to rewatch to fully grasp the theme it wanted to get across but the film gave me no desire to go back to it to understand it fully.
½ April 2, 2017
Bom filme de domingo a noite.
March 13, 2017
surprisingly entertaining - but not a movie for the squeamish
March 9, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Love the cast and its just my kind of film. A slow burner but one that rewards the viewer.
½ March 5, 2017
Top cast, superb director and 5 star reviews abounded in 2012. But personally i felt a little disappointed. It tries to adopt a similar approach and tone, but this is no Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

The 2008 election backdrop seems to indicate the bankers have f**ked it all up, and we've all got to fight for ourselves. This is an insight into sleazy men, the boredom; their vices and typically their incompetence. This isn't the mindset of psychopaths, more a dread of the pack turning. It's well-acted, but neither epic or indie. Just a bit MEH.
½ February 22, 2017
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen
January 15, 2017
movie was not the best brad pitt movie i have seen in my lifes time. it was disappointing.
½ January 2, 2017
This film works as a good political/economics allegory. Its very talky but interesting and what violence there is, is brutal and very stylish. After watching it again, I felt the need to state how really well performed it is too. Everything is subtle and nuanced.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 28, 2016
Solid start but low ending
December 23, 2016
Some good and known actors here, great music, great cinematography, the directing is very good indeed, but as all Dominik films, his movies just seem a little bit too narcissistic and maybe thinks it is more intelligent than it actually is, still good thriller with graphic violence and a message that is delivered.
December 3, 2016
A gangster movie only peripherally about the mob. This pointless "dark comedy" has some good performances and some wonderfully shot violent scenes, but seems more intent on hitting you over the head with its message of economic doldrums and how they are handled "in the family" than telling a good story and entertaining. Yet somehow, the critics loved it. Go figure.