Killing Them Softly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Them Softly Reviews

½ July 29, 2017
Not sure why this film rates so poorly with audiences in general. Each to their own, as always with the subjective medium of moviemaking, but I really enjoyed this. Tense, thrilling, and funny, with some fantastic performances and especially by Brad Pitt - who I think turns in one of his best - and some nice directorial flourishes, both visually and aurually, with a balanced pacing and a simple and straight-forwarded plot. 4.5/5*
½ May 24, 2017
Using a mob story to comment on the current financial crisis is certainly a sound idea, but Killing Them Softly pretty much squanders all the potential it's premise might have had. Writter/director Andrew Dominik frankly under-values the intelligence of his audience members, as the film consistently berates viewers with audio/video clippings of politicians (namely Barack Obama) talking about the recession. It's a tactic that feels immensely heavy-handed, and also stylistically at odds with the film's mobster movie backdrop. The pacing is also very jarring, as the dialogue-driven scenes are lengthy and undercut any momentum the film is attempting, and even at just 90 minutes the film comes across as sluggish. Certainly commendable for it's performance and filmmaking (albeit Dominik's adherence to viscera can sometimes be excessive), but for a film that seems so concerned with a "pressing-issue" it rings more as hollow than anything else.
½ May 14, 2017
It's stylish, yes; it's well constructed, yes; nicely acted; funny and captures the spirit of the time well, but it's somehow feels shallow and empty. Behind the beautiful wrap is nothing.
April 10, 2017
well directed and well acted by a star studded cast of great actors but a bit convuluted and overreaching to the point of pretention for my case. Might need to rewatch to fully grasp the theme it wanted to get across but the film gave me no desire to go back to it to understand it fully.
½ April 2, 2017
Bom filme de domingo a noite.
March 13, 2017
surprisingly entertaining - but not a movie for the squeamish
March 9, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Love the cast and its just my kind of film. A slow burner but one that rewards the viewer.
½ March 5, 2017
Top cast, superb director and 5 star reviews abounded in 2012. But personally i felt a little disappointed. It tries to adopt a similar approach and tone, but this is no Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

The 2008 election backdrop seems to indicate the bankers have f**ked it all up, and we've all got to fight for ourselves. This is an insight into sleazy men, the boredom; their vices and typically their incompetence. This isn't the mindset of psychopaths, more a dread of the pack turning. It's well-acted, but neither epic or indie. Just a bit MEH.
½ February 22, 2017
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen
January 15, 2017
movie was not the best brad pitt movie i have seen in my lifes time. it was disappointing.
½ January 2, 2017
This film works as a good political/economics allegory. Its very talky but interesting and what violence there is, is brutal and very stylish. After watching it again, I felt the need to state how really well performed it is too. Everything is subtle and nuanced.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 28, 2016
Solid start but low ending
December 23, 2016
Some good and known actors here, great music, great cinematography, the directing is very good indeed, but as all Dominik films, his movies just seem a little bit too narcissistic and maybe thinks it is more intelligent than it actually is, still good thriller with graphic violence and a message that is delivered.
December 3, 2016
A gangster movie only peripherally about the mob. This pointless "dark comedy" has some good performances and some wonderfully shot violent scenes, but seems more intent on hitting you over the head with its message of economic doldrums and how they are handled "in the family" than telling a good story and entertaining. Yet somehow, the critics loved it. Go figure.
December 2, 2016
Unfortunately, It's not exciting, not very fun to watch, and doesn't have a fulfilling ending. I had trouble trying to figure out what year it takes place in.
Old 70's cars being driven constantly but political references from the past 15 years.
Sadly, although the actors are very good at acting and being compelling, I actually really disliked this movie because it lacked any good point. Sorry, it's a waste of a movie :(
½ November 18, 2016
Incredible. As good as, if not better than, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (which is one of my all-time faves)
November 8, 2016
Great cast, but an unoriginal story about three dumb guys who think they're smart to rob a Mob protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse. Brad Pitt plays the enforcer hired to track them down and restore order. Killing Them Softly also features Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn, and Vincent Curatola.
November 6, 2016
I attempted to watch Killing Them Softly three times and fell asleep all 3 times. The 4th time I made it all the way through. This is one of those films that critics tend to love, I believe it received a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes. This time I sided with the audience who gave it a 44%. KTS is a crime thriller that didn't have many thrills. I love crime movies but KTS just didnt do it for me. I like slow burners but KTS is REALLY slow. Even the heist in the beginning of the film is slow. The pacing of it just drags so much and it's only a 97 minute film, with credits. I was pretty disappointed in Killing Them Softly, and I was looking forward to it. Pretty big letdown for me, others may enjoy it though.
October 13, 2016
Amazing acting and filmmaking. Andrew Dominik is a true artist.