Killing Them Softly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Them Softly Reviews

January 15, 2017
movie was not the best brad pitt movie i have seen in my lifes time. it was disappointing.
½ January 2, 2017
This film works as a good political/economics allegory. Its very talky but interesting and what violence there is, is brutal and very stylish. After watching it again, I felt the need to state how really well performed it is too. Everything is subtle and nuanced.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 28, 2016
Solid start but low ending
December 23, 2016
Some good and known actors here, great music, great cinematography, the directing is very good indeed, but as all Dominik films, his movies just seem a little bit too narcissistic and maybe thinks it is more intelligent than it actually is, still good thriller with graphic violence and a message that is delivered.
December 3, 2016
A gangster movie only peripherally about the mob. This pointless "dark comedy" has some good performances and some wonderfully shot violent scenes, but seems more intent on hitting you over the head with its message of economic doldrums and how they are handled "in the family" than telling a good story and entertaining. Yet somehow, the critics loved it. Go figure.
December 2, 2016
Unfortunately, It's not exciting, not very fun to watch, and doesn't have a fulfilling ending. I had trouble trying to figure out what year it takes place in.
Old 70's cars being driven constantly but political references from the past 15 years.
Sadly, although the actors are very good at acting and being compelling, I actually really disliked this movie because it lacked any good point. Sorry, it's a waste of a movie :(
½ November 18, 2016
Incredible. As good as, if not better than, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (which is one of my all-time faves)
November 8, 2016
Great cast, but an unoriginal story about three dumb guys who think they're smart to rob a Mob protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse. Brad Pitt plays the enforcer hired to track them down and restore order. Killing Them Softly also features Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn, and Vincent Curatola.
November 6, 2016
I attempted to watch Killing Them Softly three times and fell asleep all 3 times. The 4th time I made it all the way through. This is one of those films that critics tend to love, I believe it received a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes. This time I sided with the audience who gave it a 44%. KTS is a crime thriller that didn't have many thrills. I love crime movies but KTS just didnt do it for me. I like slow burners but KTS is REALLY slow. Even the heist in the beginning of the film is slow. The pacing of it just drags so much and it's only a 97 minute film, with credits. I was pretty disappointed in Killing Them Softly, and I was looking forward to it. Pretty big letdown for me, others may enjoy it though.
October 13, 2016
Amazing acting and filmmaking. Andrew Dominik is a true artist.
½ September 30, 2016
"Killing Them Softly" is a gritty mafia flick with a unique atmosphere, a dark sense of humor, and an underlying economic message.
September 24, 2016
Holy shit, this movie should've been called "Boring Them Slowly"! However, it did earn a whole star for Brad's speech at the end.
August 28, 2016
Thought this was a better movie when i bought it ...but my memory was a bit wrong , it's certainly not a bad movie ...just kinda slow . There where interesting conversations with Brad Pitt & Co do ....SOMDVD
August 25, 2016
There is so much that I like about this film, it ends up being a shame that I don't ultimately like the movie itself very much at all. The plot is fairly simple. Two guys rob a mob run poker game and a hit man is brought in by the higher ups to fix the situation. The film doesn't care a whole lot about this plot. It unfolds gradually, and it's handled well, but most of the screen time is taken up by conversations between characters that don't have a lot to do with this plot. A lot of actors do superb work here. Ben Mendelsohn and Scoot McNairy play the two guys who rob the game, and they each turn in very different, wonderfully eccentric performances. Each is a joy to watch. Brad Pitt plays the hit man. Pitt is rarely this good. He's at his least mannered best hear. Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini and Ray Liotta also have key roles and are superb. This should be a wonderful film, but it somehow seems to be a lot of guys doing great work for no real reason. The film tries to tie it's themes to the recent financial crises ... boy does it try hard. Almost every scene has a new report in the background going on and on about bankers and crises and bailouts ... and none of it really means anything in the context of this story. I enjoyed watching it, but it also felt like a waste of my time.
½ August 12, 2016
Killing Them Softly is a dialogue-driven picture, permitting opportunity for the amusingly thoughtful and strangely tragic interactions between the scums of the criminal underworld.
August 5, 2016
Brad Pitt was beautiful, even as a gangster. Also his shots at the execution of his friend's. Poetic.
Those were what make this slow and not putting on the edge action an enjoyable feast. One is not bored.
And the speech at the end he delivered about America and the notion of American nation was superb.
½ August 2, 2016
One of the last flicks James Gandolfini does besides "the Drop". Plus Brad Pitt as a hitman, and Ray Liotta....I'm almost embarrassed I passed this Awesome Gangster flick over for 4 years. Brutal.
August 1, 2016
This was disappointing, rather dull.
July 29, 2016
Violent but also pretty funny. Really believable characters too.