The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters Reviews

August 11, 2016
Loaded with fantastic wisdom, this documentary looks deeply into a sub culture you didn't even know existed.

"If you want your name written into history, you have to pay the price." ~ Billy Mitchell
August 6, 2016
I go to comic cons, I know a lot of geeks and nerds, but boy, some people do take things way to seriously. I was never one for video games, well, that's not true, I am a Mario Kart fan, but those games I use to play back in the day on my Atari 2600 or at Aladdin's Castle, if I play them now, I play it for that vintage fun from a time long gone. For people to spend that much time playing these old games, trying to set records, is crazy to me. Some of the people in this film kind of freak me out. I guess fame is different for all those who want it though. If you want to see a film about obsession, this is the one to see.
June 8, 2016
I have to question if this is a real journalistic documentary? Because it plays so much like a scripted comedy. The film really got me behind the underdog Steve as he embarks on his quest beat the cocky champ Billy, but victory is not easy as the corrupt world of classic arcade games stands in his way.
I enjoyed the fantastical and absurd nature of this documentary. There are some interesting people out there and this film makes a compelling portrayal.
May 25, 2016
An AMAZING documentary that shows the absolute cutthroatedness (I made up a word for this review) of competitive arcade gaming. If you have time to watch just one documentary, especially one about video games, watch this one. You will not regret it.
May 20, 2016
Wonderful doc that uses video game highscores a backdrop to a tell a story about real people instead of vice versa.
½ March 10, 2016
A heartfelt film about classic competitive gaming between an arrogant hot shot and a humble gamer. This documentary made some waves upon its release 15 years ago and somehow reels you into what some would consider an insignificant pursuit.
½ February 21, 2016
'The King of Kong' gives us a glimpse of two fascinating and contrasting men, Steve Wiebe and Billy Mitchell, and their longstanding Donkey Kong rivalry. Who would have thought that a film about a video game rivalry could say so much about human nature and be such gleeful fun at the same time?
February 12, 2016
Very entertaining movie about a battle between nerds lol
½ December 6, 2015
A fantastically told true life story of good vs evil. I don't think I've been this engrossed in a video game since Star Fox 64 destroyed my childhood.
September 27, 2015
This is by far one of my favorite documentaries of all time. Great narrative structure and characters that care about.
September 3, 2015
Entertaining, unforgettable and pretty remarkable but still staged!
August 17, 2015
This is one of those great little movies that will have you laughing and in intensity throughout!
August 8, 2015
Ummmm.... A world I have no place to comment on. Wow!
½ August 7, 2015
Who doesn't love a great underdog story? Add to that one of the great film villains in Billy Mitchell and this is a documentary that's infinitely watchable.
August 5, 2015
Funny cast of characters, interesting story, solid doc.
June 16, 2015
great doc about keeping your high score
May 25, 2015
It's like Rocky for gamers.
May 1, 2015
A little manipulative, but still one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time.
April 28, 2015
In the cutthroat world of Donkey Kong, only one can rule.

Quién pensaría que un tema tal como los juegos de arcade podrían ser el tema de un documental tan interesante y cargado de suspenso? The King of Kong nos presenta a Billy Mitchell, el campeón por excelencia de juegos de arcade. Es venerado dentro de la comunidad y desde los 80's nadie había podido superar sus records, especialmente en el juego clásico de Donkey Kong. Steve Wiebe es un padre de familia que ha sido desilusionado por la vida, y a pesar de ser talentoso en muchos ámbitos no ha logrado el éxito,hasta que empieza a jugar Donkey Kong y rápidamente empieza a mejorar hasta que logra romper el récord de Mitchell, y decide enviar su puntaje a Twin Galaxies, la institución que se encarga de representar a todos los jugadores de este género. Mitchell que es venerado en este mundo le pone obstáculos a Wiebe para que su puntaje no sea reconocido, y empieza una rivalidad que resulta fascinante de ver, y como en toda película, la batalla del bien vs el mal emerge. The King of Kong es un documental que te mantiene al borde del asiento de principio a fin, y es natural tomar el lado de Wiebe y demonizar a Mitchell ya que utiliza todos sus recursos para desacreditarlo, y nos sentimos recompensados cuando finalmente se le entrega el reconocimiento a Wiebe que tanto merece. Nunca imaginé que el mundo del arcade fuera tan competitivo y corrupto, donde un pequeño grupo de personas que pretende actuar de manera moral, deciden romper las reglas e idolizar a Michell y obedecerle en todo. Mitchell es una figura fascinante, ya que su arrogancia está acompañada por un carisma impresionante, con la cual logra todo lo que quiere. Lo genial de esté documental se encuentra en que nos provee un trasfondo de sus personajes y podemos entender la razón detrás de sus acciones al igual que sus diferencias morales. Mientras Wiebe, a pesar de su desesperación por tener éxito y demostrar su valor, nunca cae en bajezas que le permitan llegar a donde quiere, lo cual hace que quieras verlo tener éxito y te duele profundamente cada vez que es engañado. The King of Kong explora un mundo clandestino lleno de rivalidades, pero lo que tienen todas estas personas en común es el deseo profundo de reconocimiento, por la cual están dispuestos a a veces renunciar sus vidas para obtenerlo.