Kounterfeit Reviews

• May 01, 2015

The script just undermines any chance of a decent movie.

The script just undermines any chance of a decent movie.

• Jul 28, 2014

Kounterfeit (1996) I'm a printer, so I'm no stranger to the whole counterfeiting thing. You can't help knowing a few printers who have gone to the dark side and usually got busted for it; because, the people selling you the paper are always undercover Secret Service. Naturally, anything about counterfeiting hits my interest. However, the only actual counterfeiting that goes on inside this movie is during the beginning credits. The rest of the film is just finding a buyer. This low-budget crime movie appears to be a made-for-cable type movie. There's lots of T&A, terrible acting, (despite having a large cast of TV actors), and a totally predictable plot. It definitely has a 90s look to it with the big Motorola flip phones and the Miami Vice outfits. Fortunately, there is no nudity of scrawny Hillary Swank except for her more shapely body double's back. The original counterfeiter (Gil Bernardy) is killed off at the very beginning, and the funny money comes into the possession of Tommy 'Hopscotch' Hopkins (Andrew Hawkes) who comes into Frankie's (Bruce Payne) strip club with a proposition. He's going to sell the loot at Paco's house (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) and wants Frankie to come along to help, just in case. Paco/Danny is an undercover cop. He gets a surprise visit from his sister, Colleen (Swank) just as the meet-up goes down. But, the second-party buyers are planning to steal the money. In the shoot-out Paco/Danny is killed and Frankie and Hopscotch take all of the money with them. Colleen is out to get these guys. Hopscotch is a real screw-up, but Frankie seems to put up with him. Having been shot at the house, he talks Frankie into taking him to his brother, Marty's house (Corbin Bernsen).

• May 08, 2009

I can't think of one good thing with this movie, except for the second I understood that the pain would be over within minutes.