La Bamba - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Bamba Reviews

September 5, 2016
Great sad but inspiring journey of how to become famous about Ritchie valentes. I love the Story and the struggle that it takes for Ritchie to be famous but with the help of his family and his girlfriend , he finds a way to become famous but he was lucky that a record person came to his first love performance. If that record label person didn't go to his concert then I don't know how else he would get into the music business. Ritchies brother is crazy and just sad that he's making these terrible decisions but at the end he loves Rosie and his daughter. It's weird and sad but I little awesome that he could predict how he is going to die but it's sad that he died when he was in high school, 17 years old when he died it's so so sad. If you want to be in the music business watch this movie so you can see the struggle of Ritchie of when he started out as a picking Oranges for a living in the middle of nowhere then turning into an musical icon.
½ July 18, 2016
A refreshing biopic about a short-lived star who met a tragic death (and also ironic, considering his fear of flying and how his fate was decided by the flip of a coin), and it is so engaging that it should break our hearts even if we know from the get-go how it all ends.
½ March 26, 2016
One of the best Biographical movies ever , Wow music ...great acting of everybody ! After 4 times seen it years ago ...still crying at the end " The day the music died " ! SOMDVD
March 3, 2016
I haven't seen this since I was a kid and it's even better than I remembered. Very enjoyable with a good cast that performed well in their roles.
January 5, 2016
Interesting subject, but execution is often quite flat or hammy.

The story of Ritchie Valens, the teenager who rose to fame in the
late-1950s with hits like "Donna", "Come On, Let's Go" and "La Bamba".

Interesting subject, as Valens was one of the pioneers of rock 'n roll.
His story is also a tragic one, and well-known as such, due to the
plane crash that took the lives of him, Buddy Holly (surely one of rock
'n roll's greatest losses) and The Big Bopper. The day the music
died... (to quote Don McLean).

The musical side largely lives up to expectations - good tracks,
well-performed and with some great nostalgic moments.

However, the personal side is quite uneven. Particularly bad is the
brother angle. This seems overblown and over-dramatic, and is certainly
not helped by an over-the-top, hammy performance from Esai Morales.

Too many scenes which are dull or cringingly hammy.

Overall: worth watching from a music history perspective, but you'll
have to get through some dull/hammy scenes and acting to get to the
end.
½ October 3, 2015
I was very impressed with the acting in this movie. I certainly have a soft spot for music from this era. As far as biopics go, I found this one to be one of the better ones. Worth watching at least once!
August 22, 2015
Child hood favorite. Great story telling and love story you actually pull for. Saddest endings ever.
½ July 23, 2015
Great music, shoots, drama and pacing... One of the best biographical movies I've ever seen
May 10, 2015
The ending may not be as moving as one could hope for, but the Mexican biographical film La Bamba is nevertheless a delight to watch because it's an absorbing, heartfelt and energetic experience about the journey into superstardom -- exemplified by plenty of passionate performances and toe-tapping tunes.
March 26, 2015
I'm surprised with the general acclaim with this one, it doesn't even work as a standard biopic. There's just not really that much there for a guy who had a few hits and died at 19.
March 2, 2015
Great music and decent movie.
January 31, 2015
The story of Ritchie Valens' short life and tragically short career is a classic. Lou Diamond Phillips is a likeable lead character, however, the music (c/o Lis Lobos) is the real star.
January 7, 2015
Unintentionally funny a lot but the hour or so of it I saw wasn't terrible lol
December 29, 2014
this movie is funny and at the same time sad
½ December 26, 2014
Although I felt the dialogue was occasionally cheesy and some of the voices sounded annoyingly dubbed, La Bamba was nonetheless a satisfying biopic. It boasts a lot of humanity & depth about family conflicts in its center as well as a great soundtrack, with Lou Diamond Phillips giving a promising lead and Esai Morales stealing the show here in my opinion. I believe a lengthier running time would have benefited this film a lot though to further flesh not only the characters but especially the life story of Ritchie Valens. La Bamba isn't perfect, but it was definitely a charming and fairly captivating watch.
½ October 23, 2014
I actually would have never heard of this film if it wasn't for my Spanish teacher. He said that it's a good movie, so I figure that I should watch it to see if I like it too. La Bamba is a good film, but it does feel like an everyday underdog movie. It didn't felt original to me and it's just stuff that I saw. But it was nice to see how Ritchie got himself famous. The acting is great in this, and the two moments that make this stand out a bit from other films, are what happen to Ritchie because it came out of nowhere which I'm glad that it was, making it unpredictable. The other moment is the relationship between the two brothers as I believe that they are brothers. The songs are really nice to listen to and didn't realize that he made them. Good film, but needs to be more original.
October 17, 2014
felt like a little kiid watching this movie over again a baby
October 12, 2014
I never really know how to deal with biopics. Is it more important to be accurate to a real person's life or to have a point? I think that's why I don't like biopics as much as other movies. I always want to like them, and they can be really well made, but I'm always left at the end going "so..... what was the message to take from that?" I guess the message here is if you're afraid of flying don't get on tiny little chartered planes to North Dakota.... even if you're not afraid of flying you should really probably go out of your way to avoid that.
So, partly missing a star for that, but it was entertaining and mostly the acting was good, so I might've only taken half a star if it weren't for the terrible chemistry and stilted acting in most of the Ritchie/Donna scenes. And the snake. Even snakes are supposed to be safe and happy all of the time.
½ October 1, 2014
Phillips powers through this very good musography with style and grace while Morales eats up the scenery with equal aplumb....easily each actors best work and wonderful to watch.
½ September 19, 2014
Those who are more familiar with the idol and the casting, they'll find this film more enjoyable for them than those who doesn't apply to those familiarity. It's although still enjoyable (a little boredom might happen during the first act to few) to those outside the group when they find it well-performed with talents like any other biopic of a musician you get to know about when watching. (B)

(Full review coming soon)