La Haine Reviews

• Jun 16, 2019

classic french, not for children

classic french, not for children

• May 10, 2019

Seemingly about nothing, yet quite gripping. There's a downside though - don't think the movie has the message it thinks it does.

• May 08, 2019

La Haine explores A society failing and the fact of idle hands with three teenagers who have nothing to do after a riot in the streets of paris goes haywire and sends there friend into the hospital...Vincent Cassel delivers a spectacular performance and is one of the greatest films of all time.

• Mar 17, 2019

Photography is stunning, promising performances (Cassel has proved his talent multiple times since) and a good narration and depiction of the crude reality surrounding the projects. I applaud the creation of the characters because they are coherent to its context, enabling the movie to cut deeper.

• Feb 18, 2019

Gritty and powerful tale about the underbelly of Paris. Strong street settings, good scripting and well developed central characters add up to a powerful experience but perhaps a tale that has been told too many times before.

• Feb 12, 2019

I have the worst time trying to sympathize with street kids who act like punks and who consistently get involved in gang activities. These are the type of losers that made parts of my life miserable, and so I can’t stand them. La Haine is about of a trio of these kids in France, and I was almost instantly sure I disliked them all. These are the types of kids who have no respect for anyone, and engage in any number of activities that are designed to show they are the toughest/roughest/coolest kid around. Perhaps if there was some history presented for the characters that showed why they went down this road, it would help me develop some sympathy for them. Instead I was annoyed by their behavior, and spent most of the film waiting for them to get arrested. Sadly, the film did not end when that happened. Despite the fact that La Haine is a relatively short film, I was so disinterested in the wandering of the characters that I kept checking to see how much longer it would be. The film dragged a lot for me, particularly because they started teasing the gun so early in the story, and we continued to see nothing happen with it. The cast wasn’t bad, and I was almost inclined to like one of the guys because Hubert Koundé played him so well. I know there are many others who find this kind of story engaging, and love to explore the plight of young people living in difficult situations during bad times. I hope, if nothing else, I’ve made it clear that my personal aversion to La Haine is based on the fact that I don’t connect with movies in this genre, or characters like these. While there is clearly quality in the film-making, and there might be some authenticity to the plight of the characters, I struggle to care about any of it.

• Sep 05, 2018

canser to your mothers

canser to your mothers

• Apr 03, 2018

Despite the slick, practically perfect filmmaking, the film's themes and characters burn with a simmering, raw intensity.

• Mar 31, 2018

I watched this in 1998 for the first time. I was eighteen years old. I think it may have been the very first French film I had ever seen. I fell in love with it. It felt familiar, yet representative of a world so far from mine. I recall it being a fantastic movie; and I don't throw that word around when it comes to cinema. It has been years since I last watched it. However this film and the "Pusher" trilogy set me on path of seeking out not just European films, but films from all over the world. I need to rewatch it soon.

• Aug 22, 2017

Captures a youth so genuinely and detailed, from the slang dialogue to the music of their era but it is also made like a veteran of the craft, with steady and innovative storytelling. The ending will leave you in shock.