La La Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La La Land Reviews

August 17, 2017
An incredible modern musical that has both heart and direction. Damien Chazelle crafts a beautiful story combined with a breathtaking score, alongside the charismatic performances of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, this film finds its place in cinema glory.
August 16, 2017
it's a love letter to movie musicals
Worth the magnificent Stone's talents
½ August 16, 2017
Almost perfect but too much words
August 15, 2017
|PERFECTION 10 OUT OF 10|
August 15, 2017
7/15/17? Watched probably a month ago. Wasn't expecting much based on the beginning.... musicals often have weak plots. It really morphed from a "musical" feel to more of a real film pretty early on though. I was pleasantly surprised by the story overall.
½ August 15, 2017
Good music and story. Emma was a surprise. We all have a similar story line, I hope.
August 14, 2017
A beautiful and perfectly cast musical. The ending was absolutely heartbreaking.
Thrilling, a must see.
August 13, 2017
Incredible film that is just one of the clear highlights of 2016. I can never say it is the best film because the oscars do that stupid film but I will say it's right up there with the great films I have already seen in 2016. Emma Stone is incredible and Ryan Gosling just shines whenever on screen. The director deserved more recognition for Whiplash returns with another grand film. I have never liked musicals but this grabbed me from the start and held me to the bitter end. Heartfelt film with fantastic filmmaking behind the scenes, this just shows me how high the bar is set for filmmaking and to step up my game. Brilliant film that deserves all the attention it is getting.

I have just viewed this film again and it is still as impressive as anything in 2016, absolutely incredible filmmaking and storytelling. Gosling is in fine form but it's Stone's film and she is just incredible. The incoming directors are paving the way for a bright future that isn't built on growing budgets and studio interference. This is old fashioned storytelling but with gigantic heart. A must see film. 13-08-2017.
***EXCEPT FOR OPENING SCENE, OVERALL MOVIE IS A HOMAGE TO NAUSEATING BOREDOM***
August 12, 2017
one of the worst movies ever
½ August 11, 2017
Very well made Musical and great performances by the entire cast. A little bit of a surprise ending, but i'm glad that it chose to stay with it, instead of the typical Hollywood ending.

Regal Perimeter Pointe Stadium 10- Dunwoody with Heather
August 10, 2017
a little predictable but still an endearing and entertaining movie.
August 10, 2017
Cuando ves lo hermoso de los fotogramas de cada escena y la música que conecta excelentemente con cada momento, te das cuenta que estas viendo la mejor película de los tiempos
August 9, 2017
the people disliking this movie has no taste whatsoever. everything about this movie was terrific
August 9, 2017
Best film I've seen in a long time not at all over hyped, completely robed at the oscars !! Definitely worth it would give it more stars if I could !
August 8, 2017
I'm generally not a big fan of musicals, but I had to watch this after all the hype and all the awards. The production is very nice, some of the tunes are catchy and the performances (and singing) of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are quite good.

It's a nice romance story and a feel good theme of chasing your dreams, but the whole thing being a musical seems to fall flat in some parts where they burst into song in scenes that seem forced.

Overall, it was good, but didn't live up to the hype.
½ August 8, 2017
most overrated movie of al time, with the most obnoctious female lead in the entire film history, but then again it"s a musical and i"m not gay
½ August 7, 2017
The movie musical is something of the past. Bygone. Dormant.
The genre's attempted revival arrived last year via Damien Chazelle in the form of alleged crowd-pleaser La La Land, a weakly conceived project whose disappointing first act flows into a second that achieves striking depths of dullness. The film's only truly magnificent scene is it's very last, meaning that the credits start rolling as soon as you've become truly engaged.

"Another Day of Sun" kicks the film off. Rather inelegantly. The song is a sprightly, uplifting ditty that ultimately has no lasting effect because it's wasted on an idiotic, messily choreographed and haphazard dance number that features nameless, curiously uncharacterized folk clumsily clamoring over traffic-halted cars in one moment and a blonde proudly flashing her undergarments in the next. It's an incredibly rough start to a dishearteningly mediocre movie.

Soon after comes the introduction of wannabe actress Mia. Her first interaction with Sebastian is an egregious, unabashed raise of the middle finger, immediately establishing her petulant, whiny, puerile mess of a character. It also doubles as a gesture to viewers who are anticipating a film that is innovative and intelligent. Mia is played laboriously by the otherwise insanely likable Emma Stone, whose inherent charms are one of La La Land's few saving graces. Ryan Gosling's performance as pianist Sebastian (or "Seb," as he's most commonly referred to as) isn't much better, and the popular actor goes on to prove through the movie's flurry of songs that he, for the life of him, can't sing or carry a tune. The only likable characters, Mia's delightful roommates, are stranded in extremely minor roles. The horribly overrated John Legend also appears, and he's forced to perform as a character even more dull and obnoxious than the two protagonists combined. He's also tasked with carrying the weight of the worst song in the entire film.

The majority of the music mostly goes to waste, which, needless to say, is a deadly mistake for a musical to make. Each song is undermined by awkward camerawork, uninspired visuals, and a general lack of inspiration. There's a nagging sense of familiarity that can't be shaken. The aptly named "Epilogue" is the only tune that avoids those four fatal attributes and it truly succeeds in making a lasting impression, along with the scene it accompanies. The conclusion is moving, well-filmed, and evocative- three things the rest of the film only wishes it was.

Perhaps the picture's greatest sin is its utter inability to deliver on it's lofty promise. La La Land is widely praised as a pure delight and return to glory for the musical genre, when it fails to qualify as either of those things. The film is not intellectually inclined and is content to deliver an unbelievably cliched and overused message: follow your dreams. Countless other movies and works of fiction have made the pursuit of one's dreams it's central theme with rocky results, and it's crystal clear that Damien Chazelle and the screenwriters did not learn from them.

The poorly drawn characters, weak writing, and the lack of a brain to go with its beating heart render La La Land a mostly unspectacular dud, unworthy of its effusive acclaim and glowing reputation. The film has noble intentions, but they never come to fruition. It's more a celebration of insecure brats that don't know how to pursue their dreams in a rational fashion than a loving homage to the Hollywood of old. A better title for this misfire would be "Blah Blah Bland."
August 7, 2017
Two white dudes trying to make it in LA no wonder why everybody loved it. Amazing production and singing remains true to the actors most of the time, meaning it wont hurt your ears with vocal tuning or actors singing horribly, just right in the middle of realism most of the time.