La La Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La La Land Reviews

April 23, 2018
Music and Love; Cliché? Yes, But They Are Going to Engross Your Attention
In early 20 century, people thought jazz is the devil's music. Jazz is attractive, powerful and beautiful, which is going to grab your heart from the beginning and the end, so is La La Land. La La Land, released in 2016, directed by Damien Chazelle, is a beautiful love story with fantastic music and dancing, as known as a musical movie. If you are looking for a movie that is going to make you captivated, La La Land is the best movie for you.

Damien Chazelle is a famous director for music related movie. Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench, Grand Piano and Whiplash are his previous work before La La Land. Because Whiplash got numerous awards from Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role to Best Achievement in Film Editing, I thought La La Land will follow the same structure of story, such as talent, practice, passion, etc. However, La La Land is totally different style of a movie. Compared to previous movies, La La Land more focuses on plot. I want to say that Damien Chazelle's music related movies are the best no matter what structure he uses.

La La Land has everything that a successful movie requires, good story and acting. Mia and Sebastian had dreams, a jazz musician and an actor. They supported each other's dream. Love and dream, aren't they cliché? But cliché works perfect with perfect music.

At a scene that Mia and Sebastian meet again at Seb's, a jazz bar Sebastian runs, Sebastian plays a song named epilogue and imagines the future, what if we were still together. They look each other before Mia leaves Seb's, and this scene has the best acting in this movie. Sebastian slowly smiles and Mia responds to it with smile, too. Ryan Gosling's gentle and subtle smile was so perfect that my heart started crying. They showed that they respect and support each other's present, which was used be just a dream, through their smiles. Isn't this beautiful? Amazing acting astonished me, but music in the movie also surprised me and let me enjoy whole movie.

La La Land has plot like a music. It starts with very strong, bright and impressive songs Another Day of Sun and Someone in the Crowd like an addictive intro of pop music. Dancing and colorful clothes of the actors do not allow you to be distracted. However, since Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) is getting known each other better after the party, the movie tells people that the main story starts now. Songs, from A Lovely Night to Summer Montage, kept me focusing on the movie. Tap dancing by two main characters at A Lovely Night scene was also great as the song. The movie does not stop at a happy love story. City of Stars, Set A Fire, Engagement Party and Audition (The Fool Who Dream) show the main point of the movie, contradiction between dream and reality, Mia and Sebastian. Climax and resolution of the story is the future that Sebastian draws via Epilogue, the future if Mia and Sebastian would not break up. This well-made songs and plot are one of the best part of the movie.

If you want to watch a happy-ending movie, La La Land may not a movie you are looking for. But, if you are looking for well-made musical music, La La Land will give you unforgettable experience. A well written story directed by a music movie expert, great acting by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, fantastic songs from singing to background, and even lovely and romantic California where the movie is taken are not going to let you down.
April 21, 2018
A pat on the back from Hollywood insiders to themselves. We did not enjoy this movie.
April 20, 2018
Just a perfect Musical
April 10, 2018
As someone who isn't huge into musicals or love stories I quite enjoyed this one and really liked how it went.
April 6, 2018
honestly, it was dull and the plot was.... nonexistent but for the occasional good song it gets 2 stars
April 1, 2018
I'm not much for musicals but I was entertained. Had it not been for the jazz I probably would have stopped watching the first time they broke into song..
March 29, 2018
With toe-tappingly good numbers, stirring score, stunning visuals, and remarkable performances, one might think that La La Land is just a razzle-dazzle-filled homage to those classic Hollywood musicals. But the film's beautiful and bittersweet conclusion made it more fresh and genuine.
March 28, 2018
I? almost danced in my seat and then I? remembered my dignity.
March 25, 2018
The best film to come out of 2016. La La Land's a beautiful, nostalgic, funny romcom musical for all those who don't like musicals. And even better for those who do. Lead by a brilliant Stone and a bright, charming Gosling, the two's chemistry is clear from the moment their characters meet and they even surprise us with strong, apt performances on the musical front. Damien Chazelle has given us a perfect blend of songs, colour, conflict and drama however Hurwitz and Moore are the real underlying heroes with a score that you listen to with both your ears and your hips. The film brilliantly captures the harsh realities of chasing your dreams and how destructive they can be for relationships. From its first upbeat jam on the freeway to the very final musical epilogue at the end, La La Land will leave you on a high note you never even knew you could reach.
March 22, 2018
terrible songs terrible singing, ok Story but the pacing is all wrong. Not a good musical
March 18, 2018
pretty,cute,sweet,emma stone best actress?lol no!isabelle huppert was robbed!
March 18, 2018
I think I would've liked La La Land without the musical aspects of it. Maybe make it into a separate show instead of incorporating it into the movie? The story is divine, though.
March 16, 2018
I'm in the minority here, but I really strongly dislike this movie. I heard it being compared to Singing in the Rain and Astaire and Rogers films, and this isn't even close and shouldn't even be considered close. I feel that comparing a newer movie to a classic movie is always a mistake. This was the first movie I watched in 2018 and I was so excited to watch it having heard so many amazing reviews. I found it to be dull and boring, I didn't even know any characters names until I looked it up. I think it is very much possible to bring musicals back, but this is not how in my opinion.
March 16, 2018
La La Land perfectly blends music, drama, and romance with bright colors and well-directed set pieces to create a memorable and refreshing film.
March 15, 2018
With exceptional chemistry with two of La La Land's leads, emotional story and overall fun and magical tone, La La Land is an exceptional love note to musicals and dreamers alike.
½ March 13, 2018
Fuck off rotten tomatoes coz you are really rotten
½ March 12, 2018
Even though it isn't really my cup of tea, the scenery looked great and acting was pretty good.
½ March 11, 2018
Movie filled with WONDERFUL musical fantasy
March 11, 2018
A nice homage to the classic Hollywood movies back in the golden age of cinema. "La La Land" is catchy, fun, and masterfully shot. The script might not be as strong as some other musicals, but at least it doesn't lose itself when it comes to the characters' motives.
March 10, 2018
An instant favourite from starting to end, definately charming and engaging