La La Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La La Land Reviews

April 28, 2017
The life of classic musicals has walked into history as the revival that is La La Land, and the acts from Gosling and Stone could not be more moving.
April 28, 2017
Reluctantly and not without hesitation, I am to admit, I have finally watched this movie and found myself surprised. This movie is far from perfect but it has won me over with its imperfection, on one hand, but on the other with its poignant melancholy and deep humanity. It's not so much about a romantic musical as it is about the bittersweet taste of our lives, their impermanence and ultimately tragedy of not being able to have it all, having to compromise and make peace with what has been and won't ever be the same. Directing and acting (especially that of Stone's) are great. "A treat," as another reviewer has mentioned. "An imperfect but strangely unique" treat I would add.
April 27, 2017
Forgettable characters. Forgettable songs. Inconsistent tone. Awful sound mixing. Stone's quality performance isn't enough to save a film that's average at best. The aesthetic is good, but the plot is meh.
April 27, 2017
A masterpiece... Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone give brilliant performances. Outstanding musical score and songs. An amazing film experience!
½ April 27, 2017
Bravo! Fantastic! Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone were great together! No wonder she won the Oscar. Oscar winner for best director, Damien Chazelle wrote and created very colorful, pop, bitter sweet and wonderful musical movie! I loved Whiplash too! I loved LA traffic musical opening! Absolutely it was like West Side Story! Also it reminded me Casablanca, Singin' in the Rain and lots of classic movies. Climax was fantastic! I was speechless! I loved songs, even Take on Me and I Run! Maybe John Legend was little annoying... But I had a great time! Watch it with loud surround sound!
April 27, 2017
This movie is just incredible! It fills your heart to the brim but does not let it burst with happiness but I'm okay with that. The music in this movie is amazing! And the acting by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling is phenomenal! I could watch and listen to this movie forever and still fall completely in love with it every time.
April 27, 2017
It's not the first of this decade, but La La Land is definitely the best.
April 27, 2017
If you're like me and cringe at the thought of a full-blown Hollywood musical, hold back on the urge to bolt for about the first ten minutes. I actually enjoyed this movie. I didn't get the idea that, yeah, Emma Stone definitely deserved to win best actress. Of course, not much at the Oscars made sense to me.
April 27, 2017
Damien Chazelle brings Hollywood to life and revives some of that old studio magic in "La La Land". And from start to finish the acting, music, and cinematography are just beautiful.

The first big nod needs to go to Justin Hurwitz, who has composed an excellent modern-day musical about the struggles and magic of "La La Land". Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling shine in great performance roles that they mold into their own, never feeling like they're acting but rather let their characters leap off the screen and allow the viewer to fill in all the emotion that they are going through. Again highlighting the fantastic music and the natural performances, combined with Chazelles uses of long takes and pans takes you back to the Hollywood of old, when you needed to be a true performer (singing, dancing, acting) and gives off a stage show feel on the silver screen.

The use of colour and light is brilliant, every shot feeling structured, planned, and well executed to provide optimum emotional value and connection to our dreamers. Again, driven by a fantastic screenplay and strong performances across the board - this is a movie that belongs in everyone's library. Especially the aspiring film makers - everything you want to learn about how to make a great film is here. Which is what makes it great - redundantly.

All great films are teaching films. Along with being an excellent piece of nostalgic cinema with a fresh look at our modern struggles of following a dream this movie teaches young viewers how to create a great film.
April 27, 2017
Beautifully done! Wonderful homage to Southern California and Hollywood in particular. Loved the beginning and ending rolling scenes. This is one I will see and listen to again and again.
½ April 27, 2017
The good: very well filmed especially the final part with the what-if storyline, fun choreography and entertaining musical numbers, references to classic Hollywood, Emma Stone's acting

The bad: tired premise (Hollywood dreams, again), mansplaining, contrived and unconvincing depiction of jazz with respect to "pure" jazz vs "selling out", would have loved to see Emma Stone's character more fleshed out like Gosling's
April 26, 2017
My favorite movie EVERRRR!!!
April 26, 2017
Such a boring storyline, only partially saved by the charm of the two leading actors.
April 26, 2017
La La Land is a charming musical that about the magic of LA and chasing dreams. The story follows an aspiring actress and a struggling jazz musician who fall in love. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling both give extraordinary performance and have great chemistry together. And the comedy is really well-done, and has a subtle and clever humor to it. Also, the musical numbers are quite good and are integrated in a very natural way; particularly the choreography, which is incredibly creative. However, the film kind of gets tripped up on the ending, and whether one should sacrifice love for dreams. It's not without some flaws, but overall La La Land is touching and beautiful film.
April 26, 2017
Not only an homage and tribute to old school musicals but a beautifully told story of love, romance, music, jazz, Hollywood, and following your dreams.
April 26, 2017
Oh lord. I was not expecting all that... The musical stuff is off-putting to many, but don't let that make you miss this great love story. I myself was not thrilled with a lot of it, but I can't deny Stone and Gosling have electrifying chemistry. Didn't even realize I was pulled right into their story thanks to it. And that ending... Whoo boy! What a kick in the heart. Jeez!
April 25, 2017
Wow, that was the worst movie I have seen in the past few years. I am embarrassed for the bad acting, horrible singing, clumsy dance moves, and shitty camera work. Watch Jasujuro Ozu to learn about color. What a flop.
April 25, 2017
Heartbreaking yet feel good.
April 25, 2017
Don't like musicals, tried to watch it because I like the actors but couldn't get past the annoying random singing and they weren't even nice songs. Doesn't feel like a real movie, all the movements and actions feel so weird.
½ April 25, 2017
Song and dance movies aren't really my thing but I guess this wasn't as bad as I anticipated it would be.