La La Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La La Land Reviews

February 20, 2018
Tried it on cable tv but couldnt get past about the 15 minute mark. Completely inexplicable opening number and meandering plot. As cringeworthy as any i have seen. I have no idea why it rated so highly!
½ February 18, 2018
A musical about Hollywood, with Emma Stone, there is something alse I have to say?
February 18, 2018
4 out of 5 stars. Music was good, stylistic decisions and visually great. Could have been a little better though.
½ February 18, 2018
I am a big fan of musicals, and reading the reviews for this and talking to people who had seen it made me hopeful. Big disappointment. I found it very cheesy and cliche (and not in a good way) and boring.
February 18, 2018
A sensational tale of every star. While the end was obvious, what wasn't was the chemistry between the two leads and their relationship was true fantasy. Homage to classic Hollywood is good, but this movie is what classic Hollywood was.
½ February 14, 2018
Seriously lacking plot line that fails to hold the audiences attention. A huge waste of money to tell a bland story.
February 14, 2018
Fantastic direction and performances filled a joyous soundtrack, even though it may be mostly for fans of jazz or musicals. B
February 13, 2018
I am not into musicals. About as good as a Bollywood production. Means as watchable as cat's vomit after spewed after it when chowing down on a mice.
La La Land is the greatest film of the 21st century
February 13, 2018
Beautifully made emotion-filled Oscar-bait. And I can't believe how well executed the shift in the tone was. If it doesn't get at least 5 Oscars I am gonna be so mad (Best Achievement in costume Design, Best Performance by Actor/Actress in Leading Role, Motion Pictures, Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures) Update: Fuck you too Academy.
February 12, 2018
La La Land is my all time most favourite no.1 movie, Love this movie Magical musical things, a masterpieces romantic movie Forever???
February 11, 2018
this movie is perfect in all the levels one of my fav movies of all time and in my opinion best film 2016 and the best musical ever
Damien Chazelle became one of my fav director
February 11, 2018
Wonderful, colourful and emotional.
February 10, 2018
Lala Land gives so many details in areas not all of the human eye can see. It has an amazing story and is definitely recommended for everyone.
February 8, 2018
One of, if not, the best movie about Hollywood ever made. It captures dreamers and dreams themselves in thier purist form. Damien Chazelle's La La Land is a modern day movie musical, that feels like a classic. After the Oscar winning Whiplash movie moviegoers were excited to see Damien Chazelle's next big movie. La La Land Stars Emma Stone, as an aspiring actress, and Ryan Gosling as an aspiring jazz pianist. It follows the two as they fall in love in a picturesque Las Angeles. Linus Sandgren, the cinematographer of the the film, captures beautiful images of Los Angeles and blends color in to a scene that will jump of the scene. Sandgren even won an academy award for the film. The score for the film, written by Justin Hurwitz captures their budding romance in an inspirational way, adding to the scene. There are some scenes with just score where you can fully tale in the magic of it. Ryan Gosling's Sebastian wants to achieve his dreams while simultaneously helping Mia, Emma Stone's character, achieve her's. This is a film that when you leave it will want to go to Hollywood and be part of the magic that is movies. This is when movies become film. This is why movies are necessary.
February 7, 2018
Just a musical masterpiece, with strong emotional resonance, powerfull performances, both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling and a storyline that blew my mind.

All the songs were so great and emotional, the score was just magic to my ears, the cinematography was gorgeous and the subtlety and simultaneously the intesity that the story took amazed me!

A life-changing film for me, that's more than a movie, is pure art!!! Best movie of the decade personally!

|PERFECTION 10 OUT OF 10|
February 3, 2018
Unfortunately director Damien Chazelle fails to follow his excellent film Whiplash with this mediocre Musical that is quite boring and long at times. Though the acting is quite good not even that can save this film from several genre pitfalls.
February 2, 2018
for a musical, this movie was outstanding but with a few iffy parts
½ February 2, 2018
Singing and dancing its way into the hearts, minds, and ears of even those who think that Chicago was a complete waste of time, elegant, enchanting, edgy and elegiac tune-up La La Land often looks like an homage to Golden Age H'Wood but sports enough lovestruck spark and - alternately - jaded spunk to qualify it as a true modern-day genre original.

In this PG-13-rated musical, a pianist (Ryan Gosling) and an actress (Emma Stone) fall in love while attempting to reconcile their aspirations for the future amid navigating their divergent careers in Los Angeles. Don't call it a throwback. Indeed, La La Land lovingly tips its hat to such entertainment industry-set musicals as Singin' in the Rain and New York, New York but also charts a millennial-appropriate melancholic course all its own. While some great musicals like All that Jazz get downright bleak, La La Land softshoes into the dark without every fully losing its color and buoyancy. Take for instance a date night rendezvous shot in the Griffith Observatory, which literally sees the leads taking flight and dancing among the stars. This could very easily have gotten so on-the-nose schmaltzy that the scene required an animated Disney sidekick. Instead, the entire song-and-dance - we're taking the film as a whole - knowingly keeps it from tripping over its own feet into a brink called cornball. It knows what it is. It's a dessert and a floor wax...er, rather, it's nostalgic, romantic, and also terminally cynical all at once while dancing backward in high heels. If that doesn't speak to many of today's workaday Americans, then the musical is not only merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead.

Ultimately, La La Land is a hat-trick...albeit a very accomplished hat-trick. To remain vital in that gnat's-attention-span known as modern pop culture, a musical must implant one key feature into the brain of filmgoers: a hummable tune. Just as a western must present at least one key scene set in or that strongly brings to mind the untamed mythic expanse known as the American West, a musical has to boast at least one notable song. La La Land accomplishes this. Oh, "City of Stars" won't ultimately achieve the classic status of, say, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz, but definitely qualifies as toe-tapping and memorable. "Another Day of Sun" proves less of an earworm but backs the film's showstopper moment--a one-take, traffic-snarled freeway song-and-dance number. That this showstopper kicks off the film and a blue note ends it while still making the audience beam from ear to ear speaks to the brilliance of director Damian Chazelle. Neither a jukebox musical nor a Broadway adaptation, his La La Land is a rare beast thought extinct. Building upon his short musical Guy And Madeline On A Park Bench (perhaps a bit too much as the film's only failing is that it runs too long) with a cornucopia and cacophony perfectly suited for the here and now, his musical is original in the best sense. In fact, his hat-trick greatly one-ups 2011 Best Picture Oscar winner The Artist, which was a silent film homage accomplished through shear imitation. La La Land harks back without becoming its forebears--a love letter and a Dear John letter in one fell swoop. Chazelle shares this dignity not just with the genius-level choreographers and songwriters, but mostly with Gosling and Stone who pull all off the whole act with a ridiculous amount of grace and conviction. An impeccable latter-day Vaudeville team, their singing and dancing aren't perfect but you wouldn't want them polished to that vaunted degree. They're relatable...well, at least as relatable as people who break into song on a moment's notice. Working beautifully together, step for gorgeous step and note for lovely note, they provide the heart and soul to a film whose target demo are people with hearts and souls.

To Sum It All Up: City of Starstruck
February 1, 2018
Awful movie. I heard so many good things about it, and ratings are highly liked but this movie sucked. Music wasn't even good. The relationship and fights between Gosling and Stone are pathetic.

Super disappointed in this movie. Waste of time.