La La Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La La Land Reviews

½ June 22, 2017
I'm going to be completely honest I didn't expect La La Land to be as excellent as it was due to the fact that it had a lot to live up to but honestly it lived up to all my expectations. La La Land tells the story of two people struggling to make it big in Hollywood or in the films case "The City of Stars" one is a struggling pianist and the other is a struggling actress. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are two very talented actors and they do a exceptional job in this film and to see these two actors take on such different characters than the ones we are used to seeing was great. Another great thing about Gosling and Stone is they actually have amazing on screen chemistry together which is always great. Damien Chazelle is on his way to becoming one of Hollywoods finest directors for those of you that don't know Chazelle made Whiplash (2014) which though was different in many ways was another music based film and was phenomenal as well, I am looking forward to seeing what Chazelle makes in the future. La La Land has everything you want in a movie its got terrific performances, excellent music, beautiful scenery, and a great story. For all you jazz and/or musicals fans out their I highly recommend La La Land for you. Now for everyone reading this and watched/heard about what happened at the Oscars with the best picture category I have not seen Moonlight (2016) so I cannot say which one really deserved best picture however I am sure that Moonlight was a good film as well.
June 21, 2017
The message in this movie is outstanding! The acting from Ryan Gosling and Emma stone were on part in the movie and the rest of the characters get as much screen time as they need. Really wished this movie won Best Picture...
½ June 21, 2017
Phenomenal. Just not enough music.
June 22, 2017
Film is as magical and thrilling as all the hype and excitement surrounding it for the longest time.. Worth the wait to watch it privately on 4K 65" TV because this was an unforgettable extravaganza with its mesmerising musical score. A great follow up on Whiplash from Damien Chazelle in creating this romance musical. Musicals is a tough genre because few musicals have impressed me, perhaps because I havenīt been impressed with the castings of musical movies. Not Chicago, or All that Jazz or Ma Ma Mia or the most recent Les Mizerables. But La La has hit the ball out of the court. It had two of the most winsome darlings and talented actors, Ryan and Emma. Their on screen chemistry was magic. The heart simply soars to dizzy heights while watching them dance and sing. All focus centred on Ryan and Emma while everything else became oblivious. Most scenes if not all were one shot long sequences underlining how challenging it is for the actors to get it right over a five minute non stop shot. The choreographies were too beautiful for words. The ending was a reality bite because two talented people who are in love must go their separate ways because they had to make personal sacrifice in order to entertain the masses one day. At least hopeless romantics like myself were treated to an alternate reality where Ryan and Emma would live together happily ever after. A greatly underrated actor, Gosling was brilliant at the piano with many close up scenes of his fingerings on the keyboard. Yes, it was all Ryan. No double.
June 20, 2017
Beautifully made, full of iconic moments, hosting brilliant performances from both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and possesing a soundtrack that will be hummed by audiences for weeks, La La Land lives up to the imense hype it has been so appropriately bestowed.

The sets are nothing short of charming, the characters of Mia and Sebastian are beautiful and fully-fleshed out, and the movie's desire to encourage people to live out their dreams is not something that is often portrayed this genuinely and honestly in a typical Hollywood movie.

With a beautiful soundtrack on top of all of this, excelent choreography, and a genuinly unforgettable love story about growing up and living life at it's fullest, I can safely say that La La Land deserves every single bit of praise, and I look forward to seeing what the movie's director does in the future. 5 stars.
June 20, 2017
Beautiful in so many ways
½ June 20, 2017
If you love the movies , you should watch it!
June 20, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie! The soundtrack is beautiful and I loved the acting.
½ June 20, 2017
This musical is really and modern take on the old-fashioned story of boy meets girl. But with a twist. It is quirky and different in so many ways, yet it has a retro feel and sound. I really enjoyed so many moments in this film. Stone is outstanding in her performance, yet I thought Gosling was often subdued and wooden, and I wonder if he was the correct choice here. The musical score is outstanding and the song 'City of Stars' is an absolute gem. But I thought there were a few too many jazz elements in the film, and also some slow patches in the third quarter. Tighter editing (and a shorter overall movie) would have eliminated this. Still it is enjoyable and the final 10 minutes are extraordinary when you realise what is happening. And the final scene, well, it will leave you sitting in your seat with either a smile or a tear on your face as you soak up the end credits. AAN GGWM. D & the MC
½ June 19, 2017
Musicals are always risky and difficult to pull off, La La Land succeeds on every level with a fresh stylized approach. The music is enjoyable and memorable, dance sequences are clever and fun, and the Gosling Stone romance is electric.
And the ending...realistic.
½ June 19, 2017
A movie that should be banned as it is poisonous to see, hear and even think of. Bad acting, Bad singing, bad directing, bad everything.
June 18, 2017
I wanted to hate this movie but I couldn't. The singing is annoying but the cinematography and art direction are superb. Much better than Moulin Rouge in this weird movie genre.
June 18, 2017
I loved this movie so much that I saw it twice, the second time as a special sing-along complete with the famous bouncing ball!
June 18, 2017
Good movie. Realistic portrayal of young white people in Los Angeles. Agreeably lacking in diversity and whatnot. But Ryan Gosling's character is a wonderful portrayal of white young douchebags in LA who think they're the next big "artiste".
June 18, 2017
Amazing music, but nothing more then that.
½ June 18, 2017
Nice movie. Musical love story worth watching. Surprised Emma Stone could sing.
June 17, 2017
This movie started out very slow for me. However, the last hour was lovely. Emma Stone deserved her Oscar win, and Ryan Gosling was good. It really didn't bother me that they were not great singers. I believe that if they were great, it would not been a effective. The score is lovely. It is slow going, though.
June 17, 2017
The score, the costumes, the acting, the drama... the feels! This was a lot of fun. So nostalgic. A flawless film. You do have to accept the musical fantasy of course, but so worth it. And I think two tone shoes may make a come back after this.
½ June 17, 2017
Not quite sure what all the hype was about. It was ok, but not great. I kept waiting for the magic, but it just wasn't there.
June 17, 2017
Chazelle knows how to perfectly blend music with characters and emotions. The characters are always interesting and relatable without ever feeling cliche. The cinematography adds to the classic Hollywood vibe and is juxtaposed with modern Hollywood ideas and expressions.