The Lake House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lake House Reviews

September 30, 2016
Wonderful love story
July 21, 2016
Great movie! Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock light up the screen!
July 1, 2016
Very romantic, sweet & touching story. :-)
June 10, 2016
A touching love story. The house is beautiful.

2015-07-26// The last time I watched this was in the theatre. Watching it again, the pace of this movie is really really slow. The film asks you to overlook the logical flaws and just accept the romance that's leading this movie.
½ June 7, 2016
Typical Hollywood love affair wrapped nicely with a bit of fantasy.
April 9, 2016
This is the stereotypical romantic drama which tries to use the successful mix from Speed between Bullock and Reeves. It doesn't really work.

The movie is quite flat and the plot is quite nonsensical. Of course, in a movie with time traveling you cannot think much about that part of the story or will fall apart. Not specifically, the fault of this one. But the behavior of the characters is really, really pointless in some parts.

Also, the parallel family struggles of both characters are quite pointless and irrelevant for the main story.

The main mistake, however, is the lack of spark that Bullock and Reeves did have in Speed. They are just numb.

The best part, the beautiful setting of the Lake House.
April 1, 2016
Good well thought out movie! A must to see.
January 29, 2016
interesna ideja, ama filmov ima eden golem problem, a toa e deka scenaristot najverovatno ne idel na casovi po fizika, ne izgledal niedna epizoda na Star Trek i ne procital nisto od Arthur Clarke...steta...a dobra ideja...
January 27, 2016
The movie is one of the most romantic films (in a bizarre way) I've ever seen. The two definitely had a connection. They had more chemistry here than in Speed.

Minus the the mysterious mailbox in the Lake House, this goes to show that whatever you do in the past will reflect on your present which made the movie a little believable.
January 26, 2016
One of the best love stories ever. !!! Not to mention I love Keanu Reeves. Plus Sandra Bullock is a great actress in the movie as well. It's kinda tricky at first. It's one of those movies you gotta see more than once to catch all the references. ū???. But I absolute love it, so glad I happened to find the dvd! ū???
½ January 15, 2016
I agree there are a lot of plot holes. But when you have a movie so beautiful as this, you don't care about the plot holes. I myself don't watch romantic movies but this, this was special. It made me think of love, it made me feel...
½ November 29, 2015
A bit slow at first, but I got into it. I liked the chemistry between Bullock and Reeves. The suspense kept building. I wasn't sure I was going to like the ending, but I did. A bit of magic and the wistfulness of being able to change a might-have-been to a happy ending. If only one could have second chances like this in real life.
½ November 22, 2015
Definitely not my favorite movie of theirs. I was confused at times.
½ October 30, 2015
Mix Of Genres (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) & A Solid (Mills & Boon Style) Love-Story Base An Entertaining Passing Of Time (In All Senses). It's Lite & Nicely Done With Nothing Two Challenging..I Came Away Satisfied With It But Just That.
October 20, 2015
I want to see this really badly.
½ October 2, 2015
For once, sci-fi and romance blent together in a convincing and engaging way.
September 14, 2015
God help me but I liked this movie and it's 'out there' premise worked for me.
August 7, 2015
Spoiler filled review

Imagine a love story with a sci-fi twist. Can you do that? Yeah, just try. But the thing you have to ask yourself is what came first the chicken or the egg. In the case of The Lake House the question is more like; which came first, the writing of the first letter or the construction of a house? The only major problem I had with this movie was the fact that It didn‚(TM)t have a constructed (time travel) origin point. And yes, it can be very confusing and mind bending when you think about the whole time travel thing but I think it is a huge hole that was never explained. Examples: Back To the Future was when Marty had to take the Delorean after Doc‚(TM)s death. During The Time Traveler‚(TM)s Wife it was when he met his love interest when she was a little girl. Let me explain a bit more In detail. The time traveling letter‚(TM)s (sounds silly when I write it) seem to begin when she (Sandra Bullock) puts her letter in the magical mailbox to the next tenant to the Lake house of which she is moving out. But that is not the ‚origin point‚? seeing how she states in her letter that the box in the attic is not hers and she didn‚(TM)t know how the dog prints got out front. Then maybe you could argue that it really began when they met in 2004 at her birthday party. Nope, he already knew about her that‚(TM)s why he went. Well, what about the accident outside Daily Plaza? Nope, he went there because she said that‚(TM)s where she was on Valentine ‚(TM)s Day 2006. When the house was built? Nope, time travel wasn‚(TM)t witnessed until 2004. When his mother died? Same answer. When his father died? No. He already had met future girl. So, I would challenge anyone to explain to me the actual origin point of this act of phenomena. You can‚(TM)t because they didn‚(TM)t bother to provide one. The only thing that I can come up with is that regarding the first letter the PS was added magically when he opened it up and started reading it. If that was the case it would have been nice to show it on screen. It seems small but it nagged at me during most of the movie.
Aside from that small brain bug I can‚(TM)t really see much wrong with the movie. The acting by Reeves/Bullock was fantastic and I couldn‚(TM)t see anyone else playing the parts. Now the two actors I could have seen missing from the movie was 1) Mona (Stalker Assistant) that annoyed me with her horrible acting and 2) his brother Henry. Henry was just really uncomfortable. He seemed as if he was going to burst into tears every time he spoke. Not that he showed it in his eyes but more so in love.

A couple of plot holes I noticed during what I had thought was a well written movie. When Kate sent the scarf and proved to Alex that a winter storm was coming. He was like ‚yeah right, snow‚?. When in fact during the beginning of the movie there was snow all over the place and people had mentioned many times how cold it was. So, he was like ‚yeah right, snow‚? to something that had been happening anyway? What?! Also, why didn‚(TM)t Kate just look him up in the future at any point throughout the entire movie? I mean, she had no problem looking up his father and even finding a photography book on him. Why couldn‚(TM)t she had done the same for Alex? Oh, because the movie would have been 45 minutes long. Whoops. Sorry David Auburn (screenwriter).

The soundtrack was decent in the fact that it didn‚(TM)t take away from the movie. In fact, I thought throwing in a little bit of Paul McCartney actually added to the tone of this movie. The small things are what makes or breaks a movie with me. As if you haven‚(TM)t figured that out by now. But with these small faux pas I am very surprised at my score. Well, not really because I enjoyed this movie. I would suggest it to anybody‚¶ if they said that they were going to watch it anyway. By the way, I gotta say what I novel concept. A time traveling Mailbox. H.G. Wells passed over a gold mine!

Comic Book Movie Bonus: Keanu Reeves: Constantine - Christopher Plummer: Priest - Ebon Moss-Bachrach: American Splendor
August 3, 2015
Kinda confusing at times...
½ August 2, 2015
A great concept with heart-warming performances.