Last Flag Flying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Flag Flying Reviews

March 17, 2018
A slow-moving and gentle film that relies on its lead performances to maintain audience interest. Cranston, who has the showiest role and the best lines is a pleasure to watch. His acerbic wit provides relief when it seems the story will become mawkish. He is particularly effective in the films most significant and emotional scene where the three men visit the mother of a soldier they saw KIA. The power of the scene is also due to it being relatively under-written compared to the rest of this dialogue heavy movie.
However, it feels about 30 minutes too long. Some scenes serve little purpose except to express the directors opinions or observations and they interrupt the flow of the story. Maybe it's a case of the director being unable to 'kill his darlings'. A scene where Cranston talks about mobile phones (the film is set in 2003) feels like pure self-indulgence from Linklater.
The last act is almost undone by the funeral scene, which feels at odds with what has gone before. A maudlin song is played over the ceremony, while the scene strives for emotion. But it feels overworked and borders on being banal. The film is also let down by some lazy camerawork and it can sometimes feel like watching low budget TV.
Overall, a quietly touching film, enhanced by its actors and let down by its length and poor production values.
½ March 15, 2018
'Last Flag Flying' is an immensely enjoyable feature that offers laughs, drama and effective sociopolitical commentary.
March 13, 2018
I was pretty bored by this movie, didnt even finish it
March 9, 2018
One of the best movies i've seen in a very long time. The actors were fantastic. definitely worth a see.
½ March 4, 2018
Good performances, but the film itself only rises above ?alright? a few times (the mobile phone buying scene is a standout). Would work well as a play though.
February 22, 2018
Its not a film i would normally watch. But Steve Cerell is a much better dramatic actor than a comedian. Its a slow burn, but its actally quite a fine film. The production value are rubbish, but in the end its really a nice film.
½ February 21, 2018
February 18, 2018
Thoughtful and extremely well done. Humorous at times but genuine. A must see for any parent, any veteran or family of those who served.
February 13, 2018
Top notch acting put us in the scenes. We want the characters change before our eyes. Fishbourne delivered one of the best of is career. Tells a background story of the military interest in changing the story of vets "killed in the line of duty." Great for those over 60 indeed. A must see.
½ February 12, 2018
Another winner from Linklater. Amazing actors give fantastic performances and share frank and honest conversation, about a myriad of issues, from life, to government, to faith and all around.
February 11, 2018
This film is an emotional rollercoaster, I had tears of laughter and sadness. It's a beautiful film which has some amazing performances from everyone involved. It should have been nominated for all of the awards.
½ February 10, 2018
It's no Boyhood, but there's also real pleasure in seeing Steve Carell, Laurence Fishburne, and Bryan Cranston share the screen and deliver well-rounded, compelling performances.
February 5, 2018
Great film! Steve Carrell was so amazing. He really knows how to act.Laurence Fishburne and Bryan Cranston were solid as well. Richard linklater made this film so beautiful of a journey.

It surprised me how it ended. I really wasn't sure what to expect except that I know I liked it alot more than I expected. Very emotional piece.
February 3, 2018
A bit disappointing that a movie tagged comedy turned out not funny at all.
February 2, 2018
A road trip comedy with three terrific leads, some laugh out loud moments, and a commonly used, but nonetheless true message about America's seemingly never ending wars.
February 1, 2018
3 stars.

I wanted to like this one more than I did. It just never goes anywhere.
February 1, 2018
The film meanders quite a bit and not in the interesting ways Linklater's films often do. That said most of the performances are quite good, especially Carell who is low key and moving.
January 31, 2018
Wow..amazing performances ...
January 30, 2018
it was ok not the best
January 29, 2018
I'll come right out and state the fact that I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater. The way he writes and directs his performers mesmerizes me. By those standards, I feel that he's still one of the best in the business working today. From Before Sunrise, to Dazed and Confused, to even his recent works in Boyhood and Everybody Wants Some!!, I find myself liking his body of work more and more. So, please take this review with a grain of salt, but I truly feel that his latest film, Last Flag Flying, is easily one of the best movies to come out in 2017 and also one of the most underrated. This film has slipped pretty far under the radar, and that upsets me because this is just about the most sincere and honest piece of filmmaking to come from last year.

Based on a true story, Last Flag Flying follows Richard (Steve Carell), a former United States Marine who is informed that his son (who's also in the Marines) has been killed in combat. Seeking the help of his old friends in Sal and Mueller from decades ago, they embark on a quest to bring Richard's son's body home, as he doesn't want him buried with the rest of his crew. This is literally the only major plot that's followed throughout the film, but there's so much going on under the surface for each character that I just couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It never hurts when you have a director that knows exactly how to work with actors and ends up getting lucky with some of the most talented actors in these roles.

Linklater's films have always been about the characters first and foremost. If you don't buy into any of the characters, then it's highly unlikely that you'll end up enjoying the movie. That being said, each one of these characters is distinctly different, but Carell, Cranston, and Fishburne all do their utmost to truly embody these figures. Once again, I found myself invested in each and every scene, being moved along by the terrifically written dialogue from start to finish. The conversations between characters feel so natural, and that all comes back (once again) to writer/director Richard Linklater.

His unique/natural writing always leaps off the screen and his directing isn't too shabby either, but I feel the true star of this film is the story itself. It really makes you take a step back and appreciate what you had in the past because the future isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Even through dark times, there's always light to brighten up certain situations. The final act of this film left me in tears, due to the fact that I had no clue who any of these characters were in the beginning, and found myself attached to whatever they were going to say next by the end.

In the end, although very slow-moving, the dialogue moves Last Flag Flying along at a very brisk pace. This two-hour picture feels about 90 minutes long in my opinion and if you're into hard-hitting dramas, then I'd have to recommend looking no further than this. An older demographic will definitely get more out of this film than the millennials of today, but that's not to say that everyone can't enjoy this movie. Meticulously directed in terms of character, wonderfully written in terms of dialogue, and impeccably executed in terms of bringing the audience from point A to point B throughout long periods of time, this is a road trip movie that will have you laughing out loud and weeping all at once. I can't recommend Last Flag Flying enough.