Last Flag Flying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Flag Flying Reviews

½ August 16, 2018
Linklater and cast take you along for an emotional journey. The acting is strong all around, but Carrell gives an especially noteworthy performance.
½ August 16, 2018
6.8/10 (*In Cinemas April 25th 2018) ? Overall, Last Flag Flying is a film that doesn't disappoint with its acting nor its characters. There is a great and powerful story here, but it gets slowed down when the film tries to force feed us with deeper moments. Either way, it's worth a look. The film also delivers a powerful ending which redeems some of the issues I originally felt.
- Finesse Movie Reviews
½ August 9, 2018
This was easily one of the worst movies, if not the worst movie, that I have ever seen. The plot has no real balance and if you were to ask me what happened in this movie I would struggle to tell you. This having 70+% on not only the audience rating but critics as well absolutely blows my mind. The lack of events and the utterly ridiculous attempts at humor not only drove this movie into the ground it ruined any good scene before hand (which I think there were 2 of at most).
July 27, 2018
***CARELL, CRANSTON & FISHBURNE WIN "BEST ENSEMBLE CAST OVER 55+ AWARD" (2017)***
½ July 21, 2018
Maybe not so much an anti war film as an anti politics flick. Nice performances all round. explores, but doesn't answer, the US's unusual reverence for their military and flag 'worship''.definetly worth a watch.
½ July 15, 2018
A heart breaking film that has memorable moments of acting, however never delivers an effective climactic punch. The film starts off on a path and continues in a slow place, which makes the film seem much longer than its actual 2 hour and 5 minute run time. The film has quite a bit of humor and given the subject matter a heavy dose of realistic dramatic reality. A wonderfully simple yet emotive score. The ultimate problem in my opinion is that there are questions posed and clear cut themes brought up with no answers given.
½ July 6, 2018
simple movie liked it vry much
June 30, 2018
Really touching and beautiful.
½ June 21, 2018
Buenas actuaciones en un drama de Linklater demasiado dramātico para mi gusto.
June 19, 2018
I admit I thought this movie was going to be boring, but Bryan Cranston knocks it out of the park with his comedy chops, even though the film has plenty of sad elements.
June 4, 2018
Well balanced. Classic American, in that it's a protest film yet patriotic. We make sacrifices, not for our government, politicians or even flag, but for our brothers. And it's funny too. What's not to like.
June 4, 2018
A slow-moving and gentle film that relies on its lead performances to maintain audience interest. Cranston, who has the showiest role and the best lines is a pleasure to watch. His acerbic wit provides relief when it seems the story will become mawkish. He is particularly effective in the films most significant and emotional scene where the three men visit the mother of a soldier they saw KIA. The power of the scene is also due to it being relatively under-written compared to the rest of this dialogue heavy movie.
However, it feels about 30 minutes too long. Some scenes serve little purpose except to express the directors opinions or observations and they interrupt the flow of the story. Maybe it's a case of the director being unable to 'kill his darlings'. A scene where Cranston talks about mobile phones (the film is set in 2003) feels like pure self-indulgence from Linklater.
The last act is almost undone by the funeral scene, which feels at odds with what has gone before. A maudlin song is played over the ceremony, while the scene strives for emotion. But it feels overworked and borders on being banal. The film is also let down by some lazy camerawork and it can sometimes feel like watching low budget TV.
Overall, a quietly touching film, enhanced by its actors and let down by its length and poor production values.
May 28, 2018
Excellent movie, especially on Memorial Day! Lots of senseless deaths, lots of brave soldiers.
½ May 26, 2018
Felt that Carell & Cranston's acting was a bit exaggerated - but it was a sweet, heartfelt movie that deeply illustrated the devastating impact of war on both those who fight and those who support them.
May 26, 2018
The movie couldn't decide what it wanted to be: a drama, a comedy, an antiwar movie, a social commentary, a tear jerker. Bryan Cranston dominated the movie with his profanity laced tirades, and the other two actors were mostly wasted. Such a shame, as these are three very talented actors.
½ May 23, 2018
2.5 = Slog. Compelling story; bad directing. Seemed like Linklater was intimidated by the actors.
½ May 17, 2018
Richard Linklater's "Last Flag Flying" balances comedy and drama well and this primarily due to its dynamite cast. The three lead actors in this movie have great chemistry and I really bought their friendship. Aside from the performances, the movie is just alright. The story can be very slow and repetitive at times but it certainly has a heart and is a good movie to watch overall. It doesn't rank among Linklater's best but it is solid. If you're a fan of any of the three main actors in this movie, it's worth checking out.
½ May 16, 2018
The original was a 41/2
May 14, 2018
Great Movie great acting...
½ May 13, 2018
Three good actors telling a good story of remembrance of times when they were bad and times when they were good. Enjoyable, smooth, quiet and subtle impact.