Last King: The Power And Passion Of Charles Ii, The Reviews

• Jan 01, 2018

The chronicle of Charles II of England's time on the throne, his 10 year exile from Oliver Cromwell's England, and his triumphant return and restoration of the monarchy. 4 episodes detailing the various troubles this king found during his reign and his personal life with the many mistresses he had. Well acted and sometimes even comical. Many familiar faces from Harry Potter!!

• Feb 05, 2017

Very excellent dramatization of the characters and issues of Charles II's reign, with superior script and excellent acting.

• Jul 06, 2013

Absolutely brilliant! Impeccably acted, perceptive and accurate.

Absolutely brilliant! Impeccably acted, perceptive and accurate.

• Jun 26, 2012

FANTASTIC. I knew so little of the 17th century and the Restoration before this. Rufus Sewell is as amazing as in Pillar of the Earth

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Apr 04, 2012

The pomp and political circumstances of the bawdy English royal court occupy one's tediously dull life until the time one finds the time (and one seldom fails to do so) to find young wenches to skewer on the growing royal heritage ... and that's about it for this ofttimes slow moving biopic wherein the king constantly struggles with Parliament over just who's in charge. A walk in the park with decent performances.

• Jan 11, 2012

Defenetly I did not stop loving old stuffs about history. Yes, I hated history classes but since I entered the 7th Art world, I enjoy this things even learn from them some good stuffs (by that, check the review). Plot: Story-telling...it helps me understand when they talk of the king Charles or even Henry VIII or even Louis XIV. Anyway, Charles II: The Power & the Passion, tales the chronicle of Charles II's time on the throne, his 10 year exile from Oliver Cromwell's England, and his triumphant return. Stars for the marvelous writting? Yes of course! Acting: So many great actors and actresses here! Yes, some of them from the amazing world of Harry Potter. To be short, Rufus as Charles II nailed his role to the best, it was inspiring, interesting and amazing. Defenetly loved his role. Shirley as Queen Catherine was incredible, even her portuguese was bloody fantastic. Yes the crying remind me of Myrtle a bit but still she did her role beautifully. Same Christian aka Tom Ryddle as James was incredible, sometimes funny but still incredible well. Martin Freeman was also inspiring, incredible, bloody fantastic and kinda scary. He nailed the role allright. Helen aka Narcissa Malfoy here the woman everybody hates for having to many mens (even if the King did the same just for an obvious purpose still was not put to the killing zone for other reasons) did magnific and superb. Stars for this talented cast? YES! Music: Beautiful, dramatic, intense and superb. Loved it a lot. Defenetly stars for the amazing work of the musicians (really, the score was amazing). To end this review for this amazing mini-series of 4 episodes only (very short really), 4 stars of 5. Enjoy and HASTA LA PROXIMA AMIGOS/AS! CHAO! BLESS YOU ALL IN 2012!!! - Januray 11, 2012

• May 30, 2011

With the exceptions of Mary Stuart and Charles I, not much cinematic attention is given to those poor, long suffering Stuarts. This miniseries gives what I feel is a pretty good taste as to the bigger monarchical issues and fashions of 1660-1685. Thumbs up.

• Mar 31, 2011

Really good production. Besides one should never say no to history films

Really good production. Besides one should never say no to history films

• May 22, 2010

I loved this - the sets, the costumes, the actors, it was grand.

I loved this - the sets, the costumes, the actors, it was grand.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Aug 31, 2009

Some excellent performances and lovely period design elevate this drama, it's a little overlong but good entertainment.