The Last Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Samurai Reviews

½ April 13, 2018
the historical inaccuracies and horrible miscasting of tom cruise discord the message, but ken watanabe and a rapturous final battle almost make up for it.
March 31, 2018
One of my favorite moves. Critics are bad- remember when they gave avatar a 50 and then it sold as much as Titanic the scores magically jumped to the 90?s? The last samurai is pretty much a perfect Hollywood movie.
March 31, 2018
Gorgeous and intriguing in so many ways.
March 28, 2018
May fall short of its great model, "Seven Samurai" (almost all action movies do), but it's ahead of most of the gadget-ridden adventure epics around now.
March 26, 2018
I have only two words...Beautiful movie.
March 16, 2018
epic best word to describe.
March 16, 2018
Although Tom Cruise plays his typical role in this film, it's actually fitting and the movie is beautifully made. Although the story is one we've seen many times (it' essentially Dances with Wolves or Avatar set in 1800s Japan), it is still a story that resonates and works. Great acting by all the cast and great music too. In a way, if you replace the samurai with Jedi - this seems a more fitting tale and narrative for the Star Wars prequels and the fall of the Jedi/Republic than what we got with those awful films.
March 7, 2018
One of my all time favorites!
A historically inaccurate representation of a conflicted american soldier looking for meaning in life caught in the middle of the Meiji Restoration.

Keeping in mind that this is by no means a history lesson, this movie shows only the best qualities of Samurai of the 1800's and their desire to preserve the dignity of their country and honor of their people when faced by globalism. The scenery and SOUNDTRACK are beautiful, and Tom Cruise delivers a fantastic performance as a humble warrior. An extremely colorful movie that will make you feel!

Suggestions for alternative movie titles: "Dances with Samurai".
February 21, 2018
Easily one of the greatest films Tom Cruise has ever starred in and it loses none of it's impact no matter how many times I watch it. Sure it's derivative of Dances with Wolves to a degree but when nearly every aspect of the film both in front and behind the camera is so on point, it's hard to fault it too much. Edward Zwick might be in a rut as of now but between Glory, Legends of the Fall, Blood Diamond and this, he's definitely got his fair share of classics under his belt. Beautiful location filming in Japan and New Zealand as well as incredibly shot and choreographed fight and battle sequences are the appeal at first glance but the performances, especially from Cruise and Watanabe, are the reason the film stays with you long after the movie has ended.

5/5
January 23, 2018
This movie is epic. I think its the Tom Cruise ultimate movie.
½ December 30, 2017
Solid Tom Cruise epic with good supporting cast. Set against the key events leading to defining Japans relationship with the Western world it cleaverly contrasts the death of tradition and honour as the price of progress.
December 9, 2017
This movie is practically a masterpiece. It really wove through the important things we must learn in life. Like discipline, being humble, showing respect. All qualities that are shown in old Japanese culture. One would wish that we could indoctrinate these simple ideas to Western culture, or even better yet, the world.

The way of the samurai isn't one of merciless killing and chaotic debauchery. It is one that teaches us patience, teaches us what's right and what's wrong, and most of all, teaches us how to really kick someones ass, with style.

The battle sequences were amazing really showing what fighting is really about - just another art form. I became so angered when they brought out the big guns that I really saw the message that the director was putting out there. He was stating that the evil and greedy and cruel are not people who believe in fairness or justice. They will stop at nothing until they fulfill their plagued urge of theirs.

Overall, amazing movie with very important themes and messages all mixed together into one great and epic Samurai movie. Deserves a re-watch.
November 9, 2017
You must watch this beautiful, timeless movie. Cruise is a force in this film. Why don't they make movies like this anymore?!!
½ October 17, 2017
The Last Samurai is a predictable tale with a drawn out plot. The "White-Saviour" complex is strong with this one.
September 21, 2017
One of the beat films I've ever seen, and undoubtedly Tom Cruises best.
½ September 8, 2017
The Last Samurai is a good reminder that my problems with Avatar weren?t really rooted in the fact that they recycled the Pocahontas story structure. Here is another film that wanders down that same familiar path as many that came before, but it accomplishes it with such style and flair that I absolutely adored it. There wasn?t any aspect of this film that failed to impress me. The script, the music, the cast, the visuals, it was all remarkable. I had so much fun with The Last Samurai, and was emotionally locked in from the first frame. Tom Cruise was spectacular as the jaded American soldier who is sent to help fight a war in Japan. And I can finally see why the world has revered Ken Watanabe, because he was the heart and soul of this film and elevated it to another level. The battle sequences were stunning, and captured the scope and brutality of war. When they weren?t fighting, the beauty of Japan is also presented in awe-inspiring fashion. There were a few tiny complaints I could probably make about the film, but I ignored them most of the time because I was so invested in the characters to the point that I was brought to tears more than once. The Last Samurai accomplished what I long for most films to do: It had me so engrossed that I forgot I was watching a movie and I just experienced the magic of the story as if I were a part of it. I could see this easily becoming one of my all-time favorites when I see it a few more times.
August 30, 2017
I'm a fan of Cruise movies and am a big fan of this era in Japanese history and the samurai culture. Combining the two was a winning formula for me!
½ July 21, 2017
The Last Samurai masterfully juggles both the grandiose battles and sweeping spectacle of its era, while also weaving a haunting, poignant and deep story to go with it. All that, coupled with the cast's spot on acting make this movie one of the best.
July 7, 2017
My favorite Tom Cruise movie...and there are a lot. :-)
It's also one of the best movies I've ever seen.
July 6, 2017
This is one of those movies that just has that epic feel to it. I found myself engaged by the performances and story. It's an action movie that also has many heartfelt moments. I was truly moved by what the movie was trying to convey. I also really liked how culturally rich it was and I felt a lot of thought was put into the movie in that regard. I do feel that it is a bit overlong and some scenes did drag for me. As a whole, I would have to say this is one of the great Tom Cruise movies that shouldn't be missed.