The Last Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Samurai Reviews

April 19, 2017
To my surprise, it ended up being a very meaningful and presentable war film.
April 15, 2017
Spectacular and somewhat old-school in execution epic about 19th century Japan trying to transition to modern times by removing old traditions represented by samurais.
½ April 14, 2017
Completely uneducated regarding its history (The Japanese did NOT seek U.S. assistance during the rebellion, and it's very unlikely they ever would've.) "The Last Samurai" is a manufactured white savior redemption picture, and an example of a Hollywood exploitation epic at its worst.
½ March 30, 2017
As I was scrolling through Netflix last night I came across The Last Samurai staring Tom Cruise, and upon seeing the name "Tom Cruise" I was immediately interested. I started this movie not knowing what to expect, and when I was about 10 minutes in I totally forgot that the main character was Tom Cruise. Not because he is not in the movie, but because his portrayal of this main character was so interesting. He plays a drunken war hero who does not care about who he kills or why he kills them. He is only in it for the money, until he stumbles upon the Samurai culture. Then his whole outlook on life begins to change. This is a gorgeous looking movie that has great character arcs, and amazing action. I did not feel the two and a half hour run time at all, this film flew by! It is a great film that is very underrated. Please check it out on Netflix before it is taken off!
March 27, 2017
The Last Samurai is what someone that likes the epic genre is looking for.
Not only has a solid history and real interesting characters, but it has some of the best battle scenes i have seen in a film and at the end, emotive and powerful.
½ March 19, 2017
People say it's a Japanese version of "Dancing with wolves", but I don't care- it was great. Rewatching, some parts seem drawn out... but the music, scenery, and fight scenes are amazing. The movie does a great job getting you to care about the characters and their perspectives
March 5, 2017
A great movie....same premise as dances with wolves or avatar or so many others... outsider comes in , gets accepted into new culture and fights his own people in the end., but it does work here flawlessly.. its so underated
February 13, 2017
A beautiful epic that may drag through the middle, but offers a terrific performance from Tom Cruise.
February 11, 2017
Tom Cruise proves that if you're pretty no amount of bullets will kill you
February 11, 2017
One of my all time favorites.
February 11, 2017
It's good movie to watch
Sentimental claptrap.
February 7, 2017
This film is definately worth a look if you're into Japanese history or culture. Also if you're into swords and swordplay. The drama and main characters in this film are what really gives it heart. I can't vouch for the historical acuracy, but it has the feels that make it a cut above the usual fare.
½ January 28, 2017
Epic, beautiful and well written. Tom Cruise delivers a great performance as does the supporting cast. It may differ from history's recollection but it still remains a well made and effective historical drama.
January 8, 2017
I really like the story in this movie. Tom Cruise played a good samurai. That one burly samurai who gets shot in the heart and is still moving is a badass.
½ January 6, 2017
truly brilliant film
½ January 3, 2017
The Last Samurai is a very underrated film. I loved it. Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe are great. The story is so good and touching. The relationship between Nathan and Katsumoto is so well shown. At first they hate each other and are enemies, but eventually they end loving and respecting each other. The war scenes are great. The way Nathan tries to adapt the Japanese culture is depicted very well. The only flaw with this is that it is a little slow and one or two scenes should have been more detailed. Other than that The Last Samurai is a great watch.
January 1, 2017
The Last Samurai's impressive production values and action scenes are unfortunately not enough to make up for its uneven screenplay and problematic message.
December 28, 2016
something that will always be a mystery is the fact that this film is so underrated. the acting is amazing and the score hits the movies tone perfectly.
½ December 19, 2016
Takes you on a journey and broadens your horizons...this is what films are all about