The Last Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Samurai Reviews

September 21, 2017
One of the beat films I've ever seen, and undoubtedly Tom Cruises best.
½ September 8, 2017
The Last Samurai is a good reminder that my problems with Avatar weren?t really rooted in the fact that they recycled the Pocahontas story structure. Here is another film that wanders down that same familiar path as many that came before, but it accomplishes it with such style and flair that I absolutely adored it. There wasn?t any aspect of this film that failed to impress me. The script, the music, the cast, the visuals, it was all remarkable. I had so much fun with The Last Samurai, and was emotionally locked in from the first frame. Tom Cruise was spectacular as the jaded American soldier who is sent to help fight a war in Japan. And I can finally see why the world has revered Ken Watanabe, because he was the heart and soul of this film and elevated it to another level. The battle sequences were stunning, and captured the scope and brutality of war. When they weren?t fighting, the beauty of Japan is also presented in awe-inspiring fashion. There were a few tiny complaints I could probably make about the film, but I ignored them most of the time because I was so invested in the characters to the point that I was brought to tears more than once. The Last Samurai accomplished what I long for most films to do: It had me so engrossed that I forgot I was watching a movie and I just experienced the magic of the story as if I were a part of it. I could see this easily becoming one of my all-time favorites when I see it a few more times.
August 30, 2017
I'm a fan of Cruise movies and am a big fan of this era in Japanese history and the samurai culture. Combining the two was a winning formula for me!
½ July 21, 2017
The Last Samurai masterfully juggles both the grandiose battles and sweeping spectacle of its era, while also weaving a haunting, poignant and deep story to go with it. All that, coupled with the cast's spot on acting make this movie one of the best.
July 7, 2017
My favorite Tom Cruise movie...and there are a lot. :-)
It's also one of the best movies I've ever seen.
July 6, 2017
This is one of those movies that just has that epic feel to it. I found myself engaged by the performances and story. It's an action movie that also has many heartfelt moments. I was truly moved by what the movie was trying to convey. I also really liked how culturally rich it was and I felt a lot of thought was put into the movie in that regard. I do feel that it is a bit overlong and some scenes did drag for me. As a whole, I would have to say this is one of the great Tom Cruise movies that shouldn't be missed.
½ June 23, 2017
While not the best film ever, it is undoubtedly one of the most under-rated. Cinematography, plot, and the score are perfect.
June 23, 2017
ninjas vs samurai nuff said
June 6, 2017
Last Samurai wants to be an epic, but is bogged down in melodrama.
May 18, 2017
CRIMINALLY overlooked/underrated masterpiece. And NO, Tom Cruise is NOT the Last Samurai!
April 19, 2017
To my surprise, it ended up being a very meaningful and presentable war film.
April 15, 2017
Spectacular and somewhat old-school in execution epic about 19th century Japan trying to transition to modern times by removing old traditions represented by samurais.
½ April 14, 2017
Completely uneducated regarding its history (The Japanese did NOT seek U.S. assistance during the rebellion, and it's very unlikely they ever would've.) "The Last Samurai" is a manufactured white savior redemption picture, and an example of a Hollywood exploitation epic at its worst.
½ March 30, 2017
As I was scrolling through Netflix last night I came across The Last Samurai staring Tom Cruise, and upon seeing the name "Tom Cruise" I was immediately interested. I started this movie not knowing what to expect, and when I was about 10 minutes in I totally forgot that the main character was Tom Cruise. Not because he is not in the movie, but because his portrayal of this main character was so interesting. He plays a drunken war hero who does not care about who he kills or why he kills them. He is only in it for the money, until he stumbles upon the Samurai culture. Then his whole outlook on life begins to change. This is a gorgeous looking movie that has great character arcs, and amazing action. I did not feel the two and a half hour run time at all, this film flew by! It is a great film that is very underrated. Please check it out on Netflix before it is taken off!
March 27, 2017
The Last Samurai is what someone that likes the epic genre is looking for.
Not only has a solid history and real interesting characters, but it has some of the best battle scenes i have seen in a film and at the end, emotive and powerful.
½ March 19, 2017
People say it's a Japanese version of "Dancing with wolves", but I don't care- it was great. Rewatching, some parts seem drawn out... but the music, scenery, and fight scenes are amazing. The movie does a great job getting you to care about the characters and their perspectives
March 5, 2017
A great movie....same premise as dances with wolves or avatar or so many others... outsider comes in , gets accepted into new culture and fights his own people in the end., but it does work here flawlessly.. its so underated
February 13, 2017
A beautiful epic that may drag through the middle, but offers a terrific performance from Tom Cruise.
February 11, 2017
Tom Cruise proves that if you're pretty no amount of bullets will kill you
February 11, 2017
One of my all time favorites.