The Last Station - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Station Reviews

March 22, 2016
I liked this movie. Great actors.
½ October 17, 2015
El guión llega a sentirse algo disperso, pero la producción es impecable, incluyendo las grandes actuaciones de Helen Mirren, Christopher Plummer y James McAvoy.
May 22, 2015
While not without some merit within the context of the acting, I found this film dull. And, this story should be anything but dull.
April 2, 2015
Plummer and Mirren are in another class.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:Higher 7/10

The Last Station is a biopic of good proportions and delivers them
thoroughly and dramatically to produce a film about Leo Tolstoy that
isn't his point of view at all, if anything is criticises parts of his
mentality. It isn't scared to show the fragility's of every person
included in this film and just what it takes to push them over the
limit. I particularly liked this movie also for it's moments of silent
drama pieced with it's angry drama together which build up for a good
drama, and that is exactly what I found it, a safely good drama.

The story is slow yes but it has to be to that to show the drama
unravel and who is treacherous and who is faithful for a good film that
shows good drama. I enjoyed the more humorous side with James McAvoy
portraying a character who although it is in no way a comedy but a
drama that isn't afraid to not always be serious and produce a more
light side that runs along side the darker tones too. Finally on the
story it is a story that starts by being more happy than expected but
by the end darker tones come in and not to ruin it but it is dark until
the very last few scenes(well kind of).

Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirren(both nominated for Oscars) do
superb and although Ii actually didn't feel this was Mirren's best, she
still did a great job as the slightly damaged wife. Plummer I felt was
great support for McAvoy as the main man Tolstoy, he excerpted his
smart mind with a tad of crazy to bring in a portrayal that can dazzle.
Supporting cast are all good, literally nearly all of them and the film
gains on that point with a solid cast as I said. I finally will say
that the acting deserves more praise as the characters are diverse and
unpredictable, and so there skills are pushed to the limit, all of
them.

This is based on Jay Parini's book of the same name and the screenplay
adaption by Michael Hoffman is a well unknown if it is a good on the
book but in any cast the script is good and is of course adapted very
well by the actors on screen. Hoffman is also director and proves to be
a great one of that making this film nearly very good, but not quite.
Finally on technical terms the locations are beautiful in Tolstoy's
grounds and make for a drama yes, but it is beautiful to look at if you
happened to not like the story.

The film is not without criticism but not a lot so here is the only
thing I found wrong with this, the film is incredibly slow and set in
the most similar places scene for scene, now personally I found the
drama in most scenes but I felt maybe some were wasted and boring, but
also why my rating is not higher than what I gave it. I think some will
not find these annoying and some will hate the entire film but in the
end it is your opinion.

I think those who enjoy straight drama will love this and if you enjoy
films set in these kind of early 20th century settings then it is
perfection for you, although maybe a more romantic film set in this
time would be a better choice for you. Those who like big and loud
films stay away, this is slow and also slow releasing drama that is for
those who like it that way, but still worth a watch nonetheless.

Overall I give it a higher 7/10 and it is Safely a Good film, it just escapes
from being simply Pretty Good and I feel I could have rated it a bit
higher, but also rated it lower. People will be mixed on how to rate it
and although I do believe if you watch this you will like it, in the
final end it comes right down to preference and what kind of film you
enjoy watching. Finally also even if you don't like films like this, if
you are an aspiring actor this film has prime example of how to be a
good actor and really is worth taking notes on.
½ November 28, 2014
An engaging film with very good performances all round, sentimentally is its biggest flaw but its very educational and it defines its boundaries in the story it wants to tell. A very good film.
June 18, 2014
There are some really beautiful performance and cinematography here but at the end of the day Capitalist America should not be making films about Communist Russia
½ May 14, 2014
Most movie love stories show the origin of what we expect will be a great love. This movie shows us the last days of a great love. By turns uplifting and heartbreaking. A movie that feeds your soul. (Plus a bonus story of budding love if you really can't live without that.)
½ April 30, 2014
It's a bit too slow but the well rounded cast, (especially Plummer and McAvoy), as well as the historical significance of the story make for an interesting, entertaining film constructed by seasoned professionals.
½ April 26, 2014
For Flixter: Tolstoy was not exactly a socialist writer. Of the movie: great acting and good show, although the end was different from reality and the extra boy meets girl-sideplot seemed somehow unncessary.
April 5, 2014
The final year of Russian socialist writer Leo Tolstoy's life comes to the screen with Christopher Plummer in the lead role and Helen Mirren portraying his wife. This movie has a pretty damn good cast and good acting but the movie does lacks on some characters in the movie.
April 5, 2014
Christopher Plummer really steals the movie, as he should- it's about Tolstoy after all. Thought provoking and poignant, the film really makes one ponder questions about shedding personal belongings (which can affect everyone in your family) for the greater good. Also, it delves head-first into the breaking point of Tolstoy's marriage. Helen Mirren plays Tolstoy's wife and is excellent, in all her drama-queen glory. It falls just a bit short in that the film fails to provide some context to those who aren't history buffs about Tolstoy and his family, followers, and cohorts up to the 82-year-old man we join in progress.
April 1, 2014
I got to say that "The Last Station" is a movie that expresses on how love and life really is. I'm raving that "The Last Station" is a moving and heartbreaking movie that has a heart and a soul that you understand how love really is. The performances in this movie by the hole cast is astonishing. The directing and screenplay by Michael Hoffman is realistic. And the score I personally like. It's sweet and charming. "I'm raving that "The Last Stand" is a good movie to watch!"
November 18, 2013
I was really impressed by this film....not only by the way this story from history was told, but by the actors as well. Christopher Plummer was absolutely wonderful in the role of Tolstoy. Helen Mirren is a fantastic actress, and is terrific as Tolstoy's wife of many years.. James McAvoy was great as Tolstoy's assistant. All in all a really well done film, with a wonderful lesson in Russian history.
½ September 10, 2013
The movie's kind of forgettable, but Helen Mirren and (most especially) Christopher Plummer are worth watching.
½ September 7, 2013
Helen Mirren plays Tolstoy's wife who is portrayed as someone with a histrionic personality.
½ September 3, 2013
great film. this world is always the same
½ August 29, 2013
A slow-burning portrait of the last years of Tolstoy's life and a meditation on the way our belief systems can both complement and clash with our human nature.
August 2, 2013
Interesting film to watch. Great casting with Plummer, Mirren and the always impressive Giamatti. I thought the storyline was good in the fact it shed some light on Tolstoy's relationship with his family and those he mentored.
July 24, 2013
A rather interesting take on Tolstoy's last days, but as a very great subject as this, I expected more brilliance. Really good performances from the cast though. It was still worth the watch.