Laurence Anyways - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Laurence Anyways Reviews

July 18, 2012
Dolan's first misstep in his so far promising career, and it is true that he had shown before a penchant for over-stylization but now he seems to think he is fabulous enough to come up with this incredibly pretentious, self-indulgent, artificial and exasperating exercise of style over substance.
Harlequin68
½ August 18, 2015
Even though "Laurence Anyways," is about the title character(Melvil Poupaud), a transgender teacher and poet, the movie is in reality not so much concerned about gender. Rather, it is about transformation in general, as it charts ten years in the life of her and her long time girlfriend Fred(Suzanne Clement), a production assistant for movies, during the 1990's while charting the evolution of their ever changing relationship. As such, writer-director Xavier Dolan shows marked improvement in his visual presentation with several very memorable images. For example, the first time Laurence walks through a school hallway in women's clothes has to be one of the bravest things a character has ever done in a movie. At the same time, I'm not quite sure "Laurence Anyways" warrants its epic length, just as much as Dolan seems to reference the 80's more than the 90's.(Look, I may not know fashion or hairstyling but I do know a 1981 Duran Duran song when I hear one.)
September 19, 2012
For someone to direct a film such as this at such a tender age is remarkable. Xavier Dolan has the potential to become one of the greatest Canadian directors of all time. I saw this version which I believe is the theatrical version..I missed the longer one released by the Film Festival and I hope I didn't miss out on more intriguing looks at Laurence Alia and his struggles in world where the thinking is still a little backward. Fantastic jobs by the leads. Their relationship sizzles.
October 14, 2012
One of my favourites at this year's Toronto International Film Festival, "Laurence Anyways" is a gritty drama showcasing what it means to be constricted by societal "norms" of being a certain gender. Xavier Dolan exercises his mind, coming up with some of the most visually captivating and stylized sequences which when paired with electropop beats, produce some of the most stimulating scenes. There is style, but there is substance too. The leads, Melvil Poupaud and Suzanne Clement, are riveting to watch as they interact and feed off each other's energy. âLaurence Anywaysâ? is polarizing in both its content and its product but it succeeds more than it sinks. I haven't seen any of Dolanâ(TM)s other films, but I'll make it a point to do so now.
July 25, 2012
'Laurence Anyways' (2013) this is writer and director Xavier Dolan's third movie to what I like to call his 'Impossible Love Trilogy', which consist of his first three films: 'J'ai tué ma mère' (2008), 'Heartbeats' (2010), and now 'Laurence Anyways' (2013)! The story follows the relationship of Laurence Alia, a male-to-female transsexual (played by Melvil Poupaud), and her inamorata, Fred Belair (played by Suzanne Clément). This is not a film that discusses transsexuality, but an introspective, romantic tale of two, and the ups and downs of their relationship. These are real-life characters who you really get to see develop in the course of the 2 hours and 41 minutes, (Clément's character possibly even more so than Poupaud's). However, my major problem with this film is its overall running time. You take works like 'Avatar' (2009), 'The Dark Knight Rises' (2012), or any 'The Lord of The Rings' installments, which are all two hours plus and hold enough material to keep the audience undistracted from screen. Unfortunately, there are tedious moments here that just lack substance. I know how Dolan loves a chic soundtrack to go along with his lavish imagery, but quite frankly these artistic sequences are ultimately distractions from the story. Though this film really needs to be edited, it is STILL worthwhile for the top-notch acting delivered from the entire cast and especially from Suzanne Clément. If you have the patience to watch this, go right ahead!
½ October 9, 2015
Obscenely gorgeous and excessively stylized, this would almost not work if it wasn't for the emotional resonant drama Xavier Dolan frames in all the right ways and a stand out performances all around (with particular emphasis on a raging Suzanne Clément), it all ends up turning a love story into a sweeping melodrama epic about identity, conformism and love that for better or worse refuses to die. Any regrets Laurance?
½ September 24, 2015
Beautifully filmed, right behind Dolan's Mommy in terms of beautiful photography. Goes on a little too long, but was mostly compelling. Very touching love story.
½ February 18, 2015
A knockout trans epic, and frightening that it was realized by a then 23 year-old. A whole lot of movie that is dazzling, accomplished and heartfelt.
October 21, 2014
Beautiful movie! Yes. it's long! Almost three hours and there were times I wonder if some of the scene were necessary. But I am glad I didn't stop watching. It has one of the most beautiful story and the two leads were PERFECT! I can't wait to watch more work by Xavier Dolan (the director). He's only 25 years old!
June 13, 2014
A radiant, ambitious, beautiful film. Though it's a tad long, it's visually sumptuous and powerful. Popaud turns in a uniquely subtle lead performance and Clement is his ferocious companion.
July 8, 2013
I've heard critics say three hours is too far gone in telling a simple love story. They're right. But "Laurence Anyways", the third feature written and directed by 24-year-old Canadian wunderkind Xavier Dolan, is not a simple love story. It's one fraught with tangles and eruptions and heartbreak. In charting the ten-year relationship of on-again, off-again couple Laurence Alia (Melvil Poupad) and Fred Belair (Suzanne Clément) as both steadily adjust to Laurence's decision to live life as a woman in the decade leading up to Y2K -- and in soundtracking the film with choice cuts from the '90s likes of Depeche Mode, Visage and Craig Armstrong -- Dolan touches on everything from the everyday ecstasies and turmoils of domestic partnership, sexual liberation, ignorance, parenthood and age. Round of applause to Poupad and Clément, who harness the storms raging inside their heads without shutting us out to the raw feelings of passion, uncertainty and regret.

Four stars is I think ultimately what I'm gonna give "Laurence Anyways", if not now then sometime in the near future. It's a big movie, and like all big movies it has its peaks and valleys. Dolan is an incredible talent who very soon is going to more expertly match his heart-on-sleeve ambition with something that's more reined in. Not that "Laurence" is a bait and switch. Under all the flaws and temptation, or maybe even because of them, is a brilliant, beautiful beast. (83/100)
½ February 18, 2013
I had low expectations after being unimpressed and, frankly, bored by HEARTBEATS, but this time Xavier Dolan grabbed me and kept me entranced through most of the longish running time of LAURENCE ANYWAYS. That may be in part because I found Suzanne Clément as Fred so enchanting but even excepting my mild infatuation, the movie tells its story with grace and panache.
½ March 4, 2016
Xavier is always an interesting choice. Often dealing wither personal issues, crisis or sexual orientation.

Meet Lawrence. A straight man in a relationship. He tells his girl that he want's to become a woman. He's still straight, but he want's a sex change. That makes him lesbian, kind of.
The girl takes it quite hard. So does he, really, and their relationship is the plot here more or less.

It's lovely shot and it got some great "freak out moments". Scenes that are full of visual blow outs, dreamlike or metaphorical. Fantastic acting by the two leads and a very solid presentation. It's a very long film, nearly three hours. That's too long to be fair, but it's not a boring ride. Powerful, real and kind of important. Imaginative and intense. Rhytmic and intelligent.

My least favorite of the three Dolan flicks I've seen, but still a very solid film. It's very much alike his other films, but they are all interesting and something different.

7 out of 10 pink bricks.
December 17, 2015
Less personal in comparison to other Dolan films, but still very deep and thoughtful, and with an indescribable and perfect pace and tone that help to tell the creative story from a very objective and peculiar point of view regarding Laurence and the romance that softly unfolds beneath the changes.
July 18, 2012
November 29, 2015
I love the fact that this movie doesn't revolve around Laurence's transness and it is a very beautiful movie. I'm still disappointed by the fact that a cis man plays the role of a trans woman, but it's still a very powerful movie.
½ October 9, 2015
½ September 24, 2015
September 16, 2015
Dolan made this movie in 2013, way before Caitlin Jenner enters the national consciousness and became the talk of the town. So what if he needs to edit a little, for such a young director he keeps pushing the envelope and engages us in important social topics that need discussing. This is one of them.