Lawless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawless Reviews

April 10, 2017
The A+ cast kept me watching til the end but there were plenty of moments when I wanted to give up. The B-grade script meant you knew the end from the beginning but Shia is pretty cute so
February 25, 2017
A film about redneck moonshine bootleggers, well yeehaw! Apparently this is an adaptation of a book which recounts true events from 1931 in the USA. The story is actually based on the author's real family from around this era, he seems to be proud of his relations criminal activities then. Well its based on fact so it makes the film more interesting.

Visually this film looks the business, its gritty, violent and thoroughly well made from top to bottom. I love how everybody looks in their costumes, this period in US history was a smart time and on film it always looks good.

The main issue with this film is thus, clearly its aiming for epic Oscar status, that's fine but its not good enough. The reason being, in my opinion, the creators can't decide what they want this film to be. Do they want an epic grand scale tour de force a' la 'The Godfather' or do they want a graphic novel style kick ass flick a' la 'Last Man Standing' or 'The Untouchables'?

The film starts brilliantly, with a good dust up from Hardy showing his position within the film and then the coup de grace. Oldman strolls out into the middle of a dusty dirt street and proceeds to tommy gun an oncoming old Ford jalopy to pieces. This one sequence is over quickly but its overly awesome and really gets you in the mood for an ass kicking period flick.

After this great kick off the film tends to lull for much of the run time with sparse bits of violence. The whole thing is lost in limbo between wanting epic Oscar status or violent kick ass graphic novel type status. The issue being the film achieves neither but hangs somewhere in between like a lost tourist.

The other shame is the fact the two best characters and actors aren't involved enough. Oldman is hyper as usual and just needs more screen time here, its as simple as that (although his character does remind me of Chris Walken's character of 'Hickey' in 'Last Man Standing') .

Whilst the best character by far is Pearce as the slimy nasty dastardly Rakes. A kind of polar opposite to Elliot Ness, Ness was a crusading good cop while 'Rakes' is a crusading bad cop. He's only doing his job and upholding the law but in a really bent way.

Both these guys NEEDED more screen time as they both rocked ass and looked damn good doing it. Alas we're stuck with lots of the dreadful Labeouf (how does this guy get work?!) and the very much overrated Hardy who yet again mumbles his way through this film also. This guy really isn't much of an actor, sorry to all you Nolan fanboys out there, tis the reality.

Despite the two guys I've mentioned most of the characters aren't exactly original, there is nothing new on offer here from this era, standard fair. The violence is harsh thundering and cool but admittedly cliched for this type of film, the thing is that's the best thing about the film.
Without much of the violence this would be a poor epic wannabe, with the violence its good fun but not as good as 'Last Man Standing' or 'Untouchables'.

To be frank the plot is highly basic and doesn't really deserve a film made about it. That said I can't deny that it looks lush and the brutal glorification of prohibition-era Virginia violence is too good to miss.

Hands up who wants to see Oldman smash some hood across the head with a big metal shovel in a fit of rage? Yeah that's what I thought, of course you do.
½ January 25, 2017
This is an excellent movie. Great story and amazing casting.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 2, 2016
Loved this movie! Shia and Tom are fantastic! Two of my favorite actors! One of my favorite movies!
November 14, 2016
enjoyed it, old timer moonshine gangsters, gory, i agree with the consensus beautifully filmed which goes a long way in my book
½ October 24, 2016
Very well acted and directed. Tom hardy is very good and guy Pearce is menacing and wonderful as the main villain
October 17, 2016
Too unoriginal and leisurely paced to be fully enjoyable or engaging, Lawless attempts to capitalise on the strength of its star power, while not fully utilising any of its cast members. Tom Hardy mumbles his way through the proceedings with an expression of mild indifference, and Jessica Chastain is given nothing to do other than look pretty and stare in concern. Shia Labeouf and Guy Pearce give the stand-out performances but no amount of impressive acting can save this film from being just another dime-a-dozen historic gangster flick. There's some really fun action set pieces, and some nice cinematography, but even the movie itself doesn't appear to care about what's happening, since many of the scenes ends with little to no closure, and the story is far too thin to justify the near 2-hour runtime. It has not 1 but 2 boring romances, near-inaudible dialogue and offers up no real reason to care about the protagonists. Strictly for die-hard gangster fans only.
September 23, 2016
Entertaining film of the historical activities that occurred during the depression and prohibition eras. A grand view of the microcosm of events that transpired distinct from the heyday of Chicago's bootleggers and their bosses. A distinct portrayal of moonshine makes, still operators and deliver of the goods.
September 17, 2016
Good cast, some very hard-to-watch scenes and nice action.

But this is a very slow-paced movie and not one to watch again.
½ September 11, 2016
I'm not really one for historical dramas much but I'm a fan of Tom Hardy and his talent is again on show in this. It's also interesting that Australian goth, Nick Cave, wrote the screenplay for this. I would have expected something a lot darker from him. Guy Pearce also deserves a mention as he plays an evil cop to perfection.
September 10, 2016
really liked this movie. Hardy just blows us away with his amazing acting abilities.
August 31, 2016
really a good movie!
½ August 31, 2016
Nick Cave seems to really excel with western screenplays, and this film reminded me somewhat of Assassination of Jesse James, for which he wrote the music. a great performance from Shia Labeouf with some hard hitting sequences of brutal violence. For me, Guy Pearce was the stand out, I really hated his slick character, which was some fine acting.
July 25, 2016
****
Expertly crafted by John Hillcoat, Lawless has great performances, particularly that of Guy Pearce, and feels like a love letter to the kinds of movie we used to get about 40 years ago.
jamrcla
July 20, 2016
Lawless is the kind of film that could of been a classic if it wanted too but it decided to go for a dark western popcorn flick that even though is brilliantly acted its story isn't gripping and kind of plods along with some violent scenes and an ending I wasn't expecting, Having said all that I really enjoyed it, It's slow but entertaining, Tom Hardy steals the show with his acting and take no shit attitude, Good film that you should go into not expecting it to be a drama/western but a fun/violent popcorn flick.
July 19, 2016
lawless was a very enjoyable movie and for a movie on Netflix, it was a nice surprise. the choreography was enjoyable and intense. the atmosphere of the dry south was very noticeable. some scenes were not needed but in the full length of the movie it was a solid 3/5 stars and would recommend.
July 17, 2016
A good movie about not-good people.
July 9, 2016
Never gets old. My favorite movie.
July 9, 2016
One of my all time favourites