Lawless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawless Reviews

December 2, 2016
Loved this movie! Shia and Tom are fantastic! Two of my favorite actors! One of my favorite movies!
November 14, 2016
enjoyed it, old timer moonshine gangsters, gory, i agree with the consensus beautifully filmed which goes a long way in my book
½ October 24, 2016
Very well acted and directed. Tom hardy is very good and guy Pearce is menacing and wonderful as the main villain
October 17, 2016
Too unoriginal and leisurely paced to be fully enjoyable or engaging, Lawless attempts to capitalise on the strength of its star power, while not fully utilising any of its cast members. Tom Hardy mumbles his way through the proceedings with an expression of mild indifference, and Jessica Chastain is given nothing to do other than look pretty and stare in concern. Shia Labeouf and Guy Pearce give the stand-out performances but no amount of impressive acting can save this film from being just another dime-a-dozen historic gangster flick. There's some really fun action set pieces, and some nice cinematography, but even the movie itself doesn't appear to care about what's happening, since many of the scenes ends with little to no closure, and the story is far too thin to justify the near 2-hour runtime. It has not 1 but 2 boring romances, near-inaudible dialogue and offers up no real reason to care about the protagonists. Strictly for die-hard gangster fans only.
September 23, 2016
Entertaining film of the historical activities that occurred during the depression and prohibition eras. A grand view of the microcosm of events that transpired distinct from the heyday of Chicago's bootleggers and their bosses. A distinct portrayal of moonshine makes, still operators and deliver of the goods.
September 17, 2016
Good cast, some very hard-to-watch scenes and nice action.

But this is a very slow-paced movie and not one to watch again.
½ September 11, 2016
I'm not really one for historical dramas much but I'm a fan of Tom Hardy and his talent is again on show in this. It's also interesting that Australian goth, Nick Cave, wrote the screenplay for this. I would have expected something a lot darker from him. Guy Pearce also deserves a mention as he plays an evil cop to perfection.
September 10, 2016
really liked this movie. Hardy just blows us away with his amazing acting abilities.
August 31, 2016
really a good movie!
½ August 31, 2016
Nick Cave seems to really excel with western screenplays, and this film reminded me somewhat of Assassination of Jesse James, for which he wrote the music. a great performance from Shia Labeouf with some hard hitting sequences of brutal violence. For me, Guy Pearce was the stand out, I really hated his slick character, which was some fine acting.
July 25, 2016
****
Expertly crafted by John Hillcoat, Lawless has great performances, particularly that of Guy Pearce, and feels like a love letter to the kinds of movie we used to get about 40 years ago.
jamrcla
July 20, 2016
Lawless is the kind of film that could of been a classic if it wanted too but it decided to go for a dark western popcorn flick that even though is brilliantly acted its story isn't gripping and kind of plods along with some violent scenes and an ending I wasn't expecting, Having said all that I really enjoyed it, It's slow but entertaining, Tom Hardy steals the show with his acting and take no shit attitude, Good film that you should go into not expecting it to be a drama/western but a fun/violent popcorn flick.
July 19, 2016
lawless was a very enjoyable movie and for a movie on Netflix, it was a nice surprise. the choreography was enjoyable and intense. the atmosphere of the dry south was very noticeable. some scenes were not needed but in the full length of the movie it was a solid 3/5 stars and would recommend.
July 17, 2016
A good movie about not-good people.
July 9, 2016
Never gets old. My favorite movie.
July 9, 2016
One of my all time favourites
July 7, 2016
A little long winded perhaps - and holds itself up to something it's not - but enjoyable none-the-less.
July 6, 2016
It's fine, nothing mind blowing in the film. The camera angles are hit and miss. The long wide shot are Beautiful nonetheless. The film feels rushed in the key parts. The ending feel very unnecessary.
July 4, 2016
Solid film with no real let downs, well shot and well acted. Not the most amazing story but overall entertaining.
½ June 26, 2016
The story of three brothers with indomitable reputations and a knack for violence in this prohibition era drama. Throw in the lovely Jessica Chastain and this is a can't lose movie in my book. Very well acted and a plot nearly overflowing with action. It has some rough edges and softer scenes, but overall it is well worth your time.