Lawrence of Arabia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawrence of Arabia Reviews

June 18, 2018
Epic filmmaking perfection. Such a story filmed at this grand scale demands respect, especially in the early 60s. The scope of Lawrence of Arabia is matched or exceeded only by the likes of Cleopatra, Gone with the Wind and Spartacus. Peter O'Toole's flawless, emotional portrayal of T.E. Lawrence, and in his first major role on film, is awe-inspiring. Independent of historical flaws and tremendous length, Lawrence of Arabia is what the art of filmmaking is all about.
June 16, 2018
A long movie but well worth the watch. A fascinating story. Must see at least once.
June 13, 2018
Great movie, great acting and great soundtracks
½ June 11, 2018
One of the greatest films I have ever seen!
June 10, 2018
The American Film Institute wasn't kidding when they called it the most Epic movie of all time. The amazing cast, the sweeping desert scenes, and billowing clouds of dust as a swarm of Bedouin horsemen rage into battle are just the tip of the iceberg.
June 6, 2018
sure it is very well directed and extremely iconic and well scored but is it actually one of the best movies of all time?
May 24, 2018
The Best Movie of All Time -
It had to be said. Production value, cinematography, screenplay-story, acting, truth-imagination, epicness-nuance, musical score. The closest we will ever see to overall and timeless film perfection. Several other films compare in one aspect (of film making) or another, a couple even surpass here and there. None comes close across the board [ For what was possible. Due to the nature of the story, best/supporting actress roles were not entailed.]
Director: David Lean. Actors: Peter O'Toole, Alec Guiness, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn. Musical score: Maurice Jarre. Screenplay: Robert Bolt
Michael Wilson. Cinematographer: Freddie Young . Film editing: Anne V. Coates. Sound editing: John Cox. Art/Set Decoration: John Box, John Stoll,Dario Simoni.

Beyond the analysis and awards, Lawrence is pure movie making magic. I could write a novela in detail of the moments and methods of making (framed in the true harsh desert over 270 days), yet what better insight could be given than by the greatest director in history. . .

Steven Spielberg's favorite movie of all time is ' Lawrence of Arabia '. Steven quoted, "I couldn't really comprehend the enormity of the experience. . . I actually walked out of the theater, stunned and speechless...It pulverized me. . . I look at that movie as a major miracle... it uplifted me. . . That moment of Lawrence and nature, at one with each other... The transitions. . . The mirage. . . Small things. . . The spectacle. . . got me excited about making movies someday."

More from Spielberg, "I don't think there were a lot of critics that were politically correct...Today it probably would be attacked by writers (trying) to make a name for themselves. . . There are certain movies like that that I think... allow you to take artistic interpretive license. . .When you have a character... He is so bigger than life. . . romantically poetic. . . They could make Lawrence of Arabia today digitally . . . To do it digitally would be a tremendous sin. . . What makes that film...is that it was done naturally. . . with the elements of light and sound and maybe the greatest screenplay ever written..."
½ May 3, 2018
did you know him well..

Lawrence Of Arabia

The writers' affection towards the protagonist is crystal clear in here and also the soul reason that helps one survive this overlong feature running for more than 200 minutes. Michael Wilson and Robert Bolt; the screen writer has done a decent job but the adaptation isn't as smart as they think. David Lean; the director, is the savior here that executes this character driven feature and is not only supported but celebrated by a beautiful cinematography (not often one encounters a horse riding on the land that looks like water). Peter O'Toole is convincing as T.E. Lawrence and is supported well enough by Alec Guinness among other supporting actors. Lawrence Of Arabia is a brilliant attempt to pull it off on such a large scale which works here for the most part of it but the rest of it, does raise question here and there.
May 1, 2018
The sandy front of World War I, set amongst the dunes and political turmoil of Syria, Egypt and Jordan, as seen by a cocksure British army officer with maybe a little bit of a messiah complex. A true epic, from the breath-stealing long shots of an unimaginably vast desert to the explosive, well-outfitted battle scenes, it lives up to the billing and then some. I was mesmerized by the photography in particular, which constantly discovers new ways to portray what could have been a rather redundant, flat, boring landscape. Truly beautiful, almost ruminative at times, with an appreciation for the artisanship of film.

As for the plot, well... it's a bit slow. Particularly so in the nearly four-hour director's cut, which feels completely unnecessary. I've never seen the theatrical release, which is noted for being incomprehensible in places due to the awkward cuts, but it seems suspicious that half an hour or more couldn't have been lopped off somewhere to improve the pace. It's an exhausting watch, and not just because of the draining personal transformation we see in Lawrence himself. There's good material, of course, plenty of it. The hopeless inner squabble of an Arab population that's desperately close to the unified independence they seek. The protagonist's progression from philosophical humanist to enraged berzerker to shattered shell. We get plenty to think about, long after the credits have finally, mercifully rolled, but it's a marathon to reach that point.

A Best Picture winner that's technically marvelous, thematically challenging and open-minded, but the ending left me feeling cold and there's really no excuse for it to run for as long as it does.
March 30, 2018
The term classic is used a lot, but this movie personifies it. It's true cinematic perfection. I can't decide if it's the first of second greatest movie ever. It's length is pretty intimidating but it's so good that it rarely a factor in your enjoyment of the movie.
March 19, 2018
David Lean's epic biopic of the mysterious T.E. Lawrence is the very definition of perfection. The cinematography is as wondrously breathtaking today as it was then assisted by the film's epic yet haunting score in capturing the dark beauty of the desert . Peter O'Toole delivers a powerhouse performance that lingers with you no matter how much time has passed since your last viewing. This is one of those rare gems that any aspiring filmmaker should see because rarely does anyone achieve a feat like what David Lean had for this production.
½ March 18, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Lawrence of Arabia es un hito del cine debido a su soberbio trabajo de fotografía y magistral desarrollo de personajes.
March 15, 2018
The difficulty with watching 'Lawrence of Arabia' is that it it hard to view almost any other film afterwards without feeling disappointed. Few films can bear comparison to David Lean's masterpiece. Steven Spielberg called it a 'miracle of a film'. Many highbrow French critics hated the film because Lean's artistic vision was so stunningly realised and yet it was so commercially successful. Noted French critic Andrew Sarris referred to it disdainfully as 'intimidating'. Yes, the film is intimidating to other film makers because Lean raised the bar so high, but it is also inspiring. It is an Art film that appeals to the masses.
'Lawrence of Arabia' is a four hour film that feels too short and it grips the viewer throughout.
What makes Lean's work even more impressive is that he made a populist movie about a man we never get to know. At one point, a soldier, on seeing Lawrence on the other side of the Suez canal, shouts across to him 'Who are you?' Lawrence stares blankly into space because he cannot answer the question. Almost every line of dialogue is dripping with sub-text. Every shot tells a story and every cut moves the story forward. A masterclass in film making.
Brilliant and awe inspiring.
March 13, 2018
this movie IS Peter O'Toole .if it was about any other actor ,the film would not be that great .fellow actors are amazing as well .the pictures ,the music ,and the madness that is T.E Lawrence save the film from being boring .however ,the film is so long ,and after a while ,it becomes denial.
March 11, 2018
I thought this movie would be a masterpiece. It's not.
March 8, 2018
It's setting, acting, direction, and just about everything else is perfect, "Lawrence of Arabia" is a masterpiece epic.
February 11, 2018
Epic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 7, 2018
One of a kind. As haunting as it is mesmerizing. A perfect film, and one of my all-time favorites.
January 4, 2018
wind, sand, the sheer genius and madness of trekking across the desert to sack Aqaba is paralleled to the sheer madness to make this film. This is one of a kind. O'Toole shows the brilliance of his acting, unparalleled.
December 25, 2017
can't believe I still haven't seen this