Lawrence of Arabia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawrence of Arabia Reviews

December 1, 2016
Finally I have watched one of the early great epics of cinema. Famous for its epic scenes of massive armies before scenes of massive armies were a thing in cinema and without CG. Peter O'Toole's most famous role showcases him in a character caught up in the tides of history as he moves from being a man of optimism to being a disturbed conflicted man.
½ November 27, 2016
It is an excellent film, in which you can see the appreciation that the director has for the Sevillian culture, and a good cast. Also, it is advisable to listen to your soundtrack. She is very pretty and even dreamy.
November 13, 2016
David Lean more than outdoes himself with this tremendous epic with astounding crowd direction, beautiful camerawork and dashing performances, even if the final act is something of a letdown after nearly four hours.
October 30, 2016
10-28-2016

2nd review: "The epic of all epics. Some of the best cinematography ever in terms of scope and grandeur." (March 2012)
October 27, 2016
About Thomas Edward Lawrence and his accomplishments in the Arab Revolt, this David Lean masterpiece is so spectacularly lensed, so movingly scored and so epically made, it stands formidably timeless.
October 7, 2016
I found out one very interesting fact about this film users review is "CONSISTENCY" ... all the negative critics users written are very very similar like:

- film too long (3.50h)
- film too boring
- film has poor story

The users which gave negative critics also pointed out some positive thing found in the film similar like:

- film has great photography (desert scenes/animal scenes camels, horses...)
- film has some great acting performances (but boring story and very long scenes spoiled my interest)

MY CONCLUSION:
Like the most of the negative user critics I had very similar experience. I was actually very disappointed because I've read so many good critics from users before I watched this film all saying it is EPIC film but as I watched it -> partially/fully overrated... It deserves only three stars and no more. I should next time read also the negative critics before reading positive to see the different. But likely the critics which are many places consistent and repetitive are likely "genuine critics" or real personal experience. I'm not sure if all this positive critics found on board are "truly genuine critics" because film-making is big money today much bigger then before we are talking of billions of $$$...so what to think... I learn every time something new... one has to seems read also the negative comments/ratings and if there is consistency there is great chance of genuine viewers experience it means I may also not like this film.... chances are 50-70%.... good day!
September 26, 2016
Lawrence of Arabia is a landmark of filmmaking with a grand and vast atmosphere, flawless cinematography, iconic score and a thought provoking character study of T.E Lawrence played to perfection by Peter O'Toole.
September 14, 2016
Overlong and repetitive screenplay. O'Toole is charismatic. Followed Lawrence's disillusionment with his Arab followers, but he must have been equally disillusioned with the deception of the British and French. This is referred to but Lawrence is largely left out of it and we are made to believe his disillusionment is more to do with the Arabs rather than the politicians. I think the reverse is probably truer. To see him confront those who betrayed his ideals would have given balance to the movie.
The motorbike death is portrayed as an accident. I had the impression that it was not. In all, Lawrence was probably even more fascinating than he is here. His probable homosexuality is never referred to (his masochism is hinted at).
I watched the 218 mins. DVD.
Middle-East still a battlefield 100 years on.
Forgot to mention the great performance of Omar Sharif who matches O'Toole perfectly. Worth watching for these 2 performances alone.
A legendary masterpiece.
August 16, 2016
A grand movie about a true story, with amazing cinematography.
August 16, 2016
Just nudged its way into my top ten. I would recommend this to everyone. It's a big beautiful epic in the lesser known front of WW1. Cultures, imperialism, mortality, and the idea of home all swept up in the course of world events. The music makes a simple ride through the desert into a sub story, and the cinematography finds a palette of colors in the desolation that gives it a characterization all its own. Give it a shot.
August 16, 2016
They don't come any better than this epic classic, visually stunning, massive sets, and quality dialogue
August 16, 2016
This restored film brings back to the viewer the original length experience which has been enhanced by the 4K restoration. It is a work of art and a joy to behold. This truly was Peter O'Toole's greatest performance combined with a host of wonderful Hollywood stars and brilliant direction making this one of the greatest films of all time.
Brian.m.Johnson.
August 16, 2016
As a lengthy 3:45 film, Lawrence of Arabia provides the viewers a battle of attrition on and off screen.
August 16, 2016
Influential and Inspirational. it can get you think of what have you done in your life.
Great Dialogues. Peter O'Toole make a wonderful performance. It is worth spending half of a day to watch!!!
August 16, 2016
Thxs Sony for remastering.
August 16, 2016
Yes, "Lawrence of Arabia" epitomizes cinema's ability to transcend the screen, but the main reason that you will keep revisiting David Lean's classic will not be solely contributed from the beautiful imagery, but rather from the enigmatic protagonist; a character that is highly flawed and represents the collective and misconceived celebration of historical figures.
August 16, 2016
This is hands down my favorite movie. The restored version is a must see!
August 16, 2016
They don't make em like they used to... The grandeur and epic scale of films from this era is unparalleled to date. If one attempts a remake of this material computer generated effects just wont do. Pacing could be an issue for the post MTV generations, but if they'll allow a moment to take in this cinematography; they're in for a true piece of art. This is a crazy biopic give it a chance your sure to enjoy
August 16, 2016
If the movie was good enough to be David's favorite (Prometheus) in "the year of our Lord 2091" it is certainly grand in 2014. I was aware, when I watched the scenes in the desert, if produced today they may try to "animate the desert" to save money. The downward spiraling stages of Lawrence's troubles were mirrored in the reaction of Ali to the ideals that were laid aside. Until Lawrence just gave up any hope of a meaningful end.