Lawrence of Arabia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawrence of Arabia Reviews

April 16, 2017
A film that is worthy of the title: Epic!
April 8, 2017
One of the true classics and it's not hard to understand that position. It looks impressive and I'm kicking myself for seeing it on a 36 inch or something, and not a bigger one I expect to invest in pretty soon. Man, that desert search scene.

Lawrence, a Britishman has practicly nothing but manage to assemble loads of men, warriors, fighters. How? Well, he is very trustworthy, kind and knows how to interact with people. He always has an answer and he builds his army slowly by befriending enemies. There are naturally a cooperation between the Britishmen and the Arabs and the Turks and they're Ottoman Empire are the badguys here. Lawrence collects different tribes of the Arabs to make sure they reached Damascus after several other defeated areas. Why, you say? Well I'm not really sure, but he was put in the place to check the situation down there, being a liaison, by command from the British army, and I guess he figured he wanted to change a thing or two there.

Amazing performance by O'Toole and a brilliant story. It's very long. Actually so long that my tealights that I lit in it's opening scenes nearly went out. Three and a half hours. That's a long time. I had my moments where I went off screen for shorter periods, since this is no rapid film - it's quite slow paced, but there is a constant development so it never feels flat.

Big production. Loads of men and horses. What there is little of here is women, though. There are only a handful of them on screen for seconds only and there are no words given out by any lady. That's some special stuff indeed.

I did like the moment after two hours plus a lot, called "intermission" - two or three minutes with a black screen and music. Great music by the way, the theme score is both unforgettable and fitting.

Big film, a little dissapointment but still a very good film, worth a go when you really have the time for it. There is action, adventure and a very solid story here with a fantastic lead and production. My last film of 2016, 148 in total.

8.5 out of 10 camels.
March 26, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. â?º Epic in every way.
March 19, 2017
I think this is the GREATEST FILM ever made because it has taken me 20 years of viewing to fully understand and appreciate the hidden nuggets of David Lean.

One could get an entire BA from studying this film alone - editing, cinematography, acting, sound, music, advertising, production, it has it all.!

Look for:
- Greatest Introductory Scene ever by Omar Sharif
- "The Match" cut
- Losing sight of Lawrence the man and the rise of the image of L of Arabia
February 28, 2017
It's setting, acting, direction, and just about everything else is a near perfect masterpiece.
February 15, 2017
Simply put, this epic cinematic landmark has some of the most beautiful imagery ever committed to celluloid.

A film of incredible scope that dwarfs nearly all contemporary epics. It's a war epic that is crafted with a great sense of scale. Every moment, even those brief scenes simply in an office or a tent, carry this enormity; this physical depth.
½ February 11, 2017
One of the worst ways I know of to spend four hours. At least you'll come out of it well-rested. (First and only viewing - 8/30/2010)
January 17, 2017
WORST MOVIE TO BE FORCED TO WATCH FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WITH YOUR TEACHER TRYING TO TELL YOU THINGS OVER IT. WORST MOVIE EVER!!! DON'T WATCH IT! SAVE YOURSELF!!!
January 15, 2017
A film as near to perfection as one can get. Brilliant writing from Robert Bolt -- elegant, witty, and relentlessly intelligent. Every frame from Fred E Young tells a grand, yet intimate story. David Lean provides the world and generations to come with what amounts to no less than a timeless text book on filmmaking. Every viewing will teach you something new about storytelling and about yourself.
January 2, 2017
One of the greatest movies of all time. Thanks to David Lean's wonderful direction, O' Toole, Sharif and Kennedy's acting. Lawrence Of Arabia is the definition of epic, a movie that is considered a "miracle" by Steven Spielberg. To be honest, he couldn't be more right.
December 1, 2016
Finally I have watched one of the early great epics of cinema. Famous for its epic scenes of massive armies before scenes of massive armies were a thing in cinema and without CG. Peter O'Toole's most famous role showcases him in a character caught up in the tides of history as he moves from being a man of optimism to being a disturbed conflicted man.
½ November 27, 2016
It is an excellent film, in which you can see the appreciation that the director has for the Sevillian culture, and a good cast. Also, it is advisable to listen to your soundtrack. She is very pretty and even dreamy.
November 13, 2016
David Lean more than outdoes himself with this tremendous epic with astounding crowd direction, beautiful camerawork and dashing performances, even if the final act is something of a letdown after nearly four hours.
October 30, 2016
10-28-2016

2nd review: "The epic of all epics. Some of the best cinematography ever in terms of scope and grandeur." (March 2012)
October 27, 2016
About Thomas Edward Lawrence and his accomplishments in the Arab Revolt, this David Lean masterpiece is so spectacularly lensed, so movingly scored and so epically made, it stands formidably timeless.
October 7, 2016
I found out one very interesting fact about this film users review is "CONSISTENCY" ... all the negative critics users written are very very similar like:

- film too long (3.50h)
- film too boring
- film has poor story

The users which gave negative critics also pointed out some positive thing found in the film similar like:

- film has great photography (desert scenes/animal scenes camels, horses...)
- film has some great acting performances (but boring story and very long scenes spoiled my interest)

MY CONCLUSION:
Like the most of the negative user critics I had very similar experience. I was actually very disappointed because I've read so many good critics from users before I watched this film all saying it is EPIC film but as I watched it -> partially/fully overrated... It deserves only three stars and no more. I should next time read also the negative critics before reading positive to see the different. But likely the critics which are many places consistent and repetitive are likely "genuine critics" or real personal experience. I'm not sure if all this positive critics found on board are "truly genuine critics" because film-making is big money today much bigger then before we are talking of billions of $$$...so what to think... I learn every time something new... one has to seems read also the negative comments/ratings and if there is consistency there is great chance of genuine viewers experience it means I may also not like this film.... chances are 50-70%.... good day!
September 26, 2016
Lawrence of Arabia is a landmark of filmmaking with a grand and vast atmosphere, flawless cinematography, iconic score and a thought provoking character study of T.E Lawrence played to perfection by Peter O'Toole.
September 14, 2016
Overlong and repetitive screenplay. O'Toole is charismatic. Followed Lawrence's disillusionment with his Arab followers, but he must have been equally disillusioned with the deception of the British and French. This is referred to but Lawrence is largely left out of it and we are made to believe his disillusionment is more to do with the Arabs rather than the politicians. I think the reverse is probably truer. To see him confront those who betrayed his ideals would have given balance to the movie.
The motorbike death is portrayed as an accident. I had the impression that it was not. In all, Lawrence was probably even more fascinating than he is here. His probable homosexuality is never referred to (his masochism is hinted at).
I watched the 218 mins. DVD.
Middle-East still a battlefield 100 years on.
Forgot to mention the great performance of Omar Sharif who matches O'Toole perfectly. Worth watching for these 2 performances alone.
August 16, 2016