Lawrence of Arabia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawrence of Arabia Reviews

February 20, 2018
The difficulty with watching 'Lawrence of Arabia' is that because it is so perfect in every department, it hard to watch almost any other film for a while afterwards. Few films can bear comparison with David Lean's masterpiece. Steven Spielberg referred to as a 'miracle of a film'. Many highbrow French critics hated the film because it was so good and also so commercially successful. Noted French critic Andrew Sarris referred to it disdainfully as 'intimidating'. Yes, the film should be intimidating to other film makers because Lean raised the bar so high as to make other directors feel inadequate.
'Lawrence of Arabia' is a four hour film that feels too short. It grips the viewer throughout. It is an Art film that appeals to the masses.
What makes Lean's work even more impressive is that he made a populist film about a man we never get to know, because he does not know himself. At one point, a soldier, on seeing Lawrence on the other side of the Suez canal, shouts across to him 'Who are you?' Lawrence stares blankly into space because he cannot answer the question. Almost every line of dialogue is dripping with sub-text. A masterclass in film making.
Brilliant and awe inspiring.
February 11, 2018
Epic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 7, 2018
One of a kind. As haunting as it is mesmerizing. A perfect film, and one of my all-time favorites.
January 4, 2018
wind, sand, the sheer genius and madness of trekking across the desert to sack Aqaba is paralleled to the sheer madness to make this film. This is one of a kind. O'Toole shows the brilliance of his acting, unparalleled.
December 25, 2017
can't believe I still haven't seen this
½ December 21, 2017
Epic achievement. Super long, though. But a great character tale.
November 11, 2017
Lawrence of Arabia is one cinematic experience that still holds up well. From the acting to the action to the famous film score, it feels like a epic telling of T.E. Lawrence
November 11, 2017
Very interesting movie, showing the struggles of war and effects it has. A masterpiece of filmmaking.
November 1, 2017
Beautiful images, outstanding cinematography, an epic story, and a legendary film, I have been waiting to see this for years and I am disappointed at myself for not making time to see it sooner. While there are many great films now and the promise of the next great film, any person who loves films and all they have to offer in story, in acting, in imagery, and more need only look back to witness and appreciate Lawrence of Arabia.
October 30, 2017
Maybe the best film ever put onto the screen!
October 7, 2017
Magnificent and captivating landscapes set the tone for this all around action adventure classic!
October 4, 2017
this film is quite simply spellbinding.
September 24, 2017
The ultimate historical drama!
September 15, 2017
This is my favourite film of all time and I think the greatest film ever made. It is majestic, sweeping, epic, and made with a whole lot of feeling. It just doesn't get any better than this.
September 11, 2017
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) is 10 times bigger than Ben-Hur (1959), and it is quite evident. David Lean uses stunning images that have not failed to leave our memories. Lean took inspiration from John Ford's western classic, The Searchers (1956), in order to get a sense of scale. Peter O'Toole's performance as T.E. Lawrence is so convincing, he even looks like him. Omar Sharif's introduction of the mirage is a bit surprising for its' time. It's probably safe to say the Lawrence of Arabia (1962) is the greatest epic that anyone has ever seen! Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
September 9, 2017
Filme retrata um dos personagens mais famosos da primeira guerra mundial e sua atuação contra o império turco-otomano. Clássico do cinema.
August 26, 2017
Nearly 50 decades later, Lawrence of Arabia still remains a splendid epic in the history of filmmaking. Despite its outrageous runtime of 4 hours, the film showcases cinematography and special effects more advanced than technologically-enhanced recent releases. The desert scenes and horseback battles are spectacular to watch and the dialogue is so well written it proves truly ahead of its time. It's portrayal of the Arab culture is not offensive or stereotypical which can't be said for most films released after 9/11. I'm watching this now for the first time and enjoyed it immensely and that says a lot about the quality of the film.
August 24, 2017
There are many great films that are considered part of the 'epic' sub-genre of movies. 'Spartacus,' 'Ben Hur,' and 'Seven Samurai' are just a few that readily come to mind. Yet, 'Lawrence of Arabia' stands alone as the greatest of them all.

As if all the sweeping vistas, perfectly captured sunrises and sunsets, and grandiose battle scenes aren't enough, the writing, acting, and directing are all perfect or damn near close to it.

Every film production is rife with difficulties, from logistics to locations to the physical demands of shooting for weeks and months on end. But the thought of doing so in the desert, while creating a 4-hour masterpiece, simply boggles this reviewer's mind.
August 21, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
August 3, 2017
Honestly I can't usually handle films that are over 2 hours long cuz i have a short attention span when it comes to these kind of films but Lawrence of Arabia is one of those films I can watch without ever getting bored. The cinematography is breathtaking and is f****ng beautiful to look at. This film honestly seems like only 2 hours and the first 40 mins to me felt like 20 mins and Peter O' Toole is amazing as T.E Lawrence and the acting is superb and the Action scenes are great. A nearly perfect film recommended to all adventure lovers