Le démantèlement (The Auction) Reviews

• Jul 22, 2015

Very slow with lots of lingering camera shots which maintain a glacial pace.

Very slow with lots of lingering camera shots which maintain a glacial pace.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jun 02, 2015

This decent Québécois drama has fine performances and makes good use of its locations, deserving every bit of our attention due to the delicate and intimate way that it tells us its story - even though it never takes off to become something special or memorable.

• May 29, 2014

This is the story of a Canadian farmer which was told in a quite realistic mode. A man who lives in the countryside and his way of life was presented beautifully on the screen. It also speaks the value of the family members even though each of them are spread out to different places seeking a better life and future. I had seen many movies that depict the farmers' lives around the world, but this part of the world probably first time for me. The story of a father who live alone in a country farm on which he raises livestocks. Among the best in the surrounding area and people are jealous of it. One day one of his daughters comes asking financial help. As a father how he reacts to the circumstance to give support to his daughter. For that he has to sacrifice his way of life he led in the last 40 years, which ends in a high note emotion. I am quite happy for choosing this. It was an heartwarming melodrama. Many touchy lines reached real deep into me. The character Gaby was the highlight of the movie. The actor who did that role was fantastic, must recognize and acknowledge it. The movie was too slow though well executed in every part of the story. Strictly for drama movie fans and family audience. It was a simple and good movie. There's nothing more to talk about than a watch and to know it yourself.

• May 23, 2014

Boring movie. I cleaned the house while watching this so I can't say it was a waste of 111 minutes of my time.

• Dec 13, 2013

Following a small trend of films with farmers living a rural lifestyle in the 21st century, The Dismantling is the tale of a sheep farmer who chooses to sell his sheep farm that was handed down to him from his own father to come to the financial rescue of his daughter. Despite the fact that this film may be seen as a man's relentless descent into a self-inflicted unhappiness, this film is quite crowd pleasing. This is not only because The Dismantling pains an interesting and intriguing domestic picture through wonderful photography that really treasures its countryside surroundings. It is also due to a great leading performance by Gabriel Arcand, who balances his character's quietness with his own facial expressions that conceal benevolence, melancholia and unconditional love all at once. Furthermore, the sheep farmer is portrayed with an air of solemnity and heroism, as if here were a lonely ranger alienated from the outside world and mighty in his struggles to fight back the fast paced urban modern way of living. This in turn leads us to wonder whether what we are seeing is the act of unconditional love of a father for his daughters or a sign of defeat of a man of older and outdated principles in this technological age - the latter point strengthened by a profound hostility towards an unwanted computer being brought to his house. This core dilemma is quite troubling and the aforementioned descent culminated in an ending full of poetry and an unsettling contrasting joyful despondency, which fulfils the power of the intimate and sometimes even uncomfortable character study that is certainly worth the wait, even through its dead moments and a slow start.

• Nov 17, 2013

Dose intense d'émotion. Le démantèlement n'invente rien, mais il est efficace. Gabriel Arcand y est extraordinaire.... Une boule dans la gorge tout au long, le film de Sebastien Pilote fonctionne..... Paysage et musique me rappellant à l'occasion BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. L'amour inconditionnel filmé avec délicatesse. Une belle réussite.