Legally Blonde 2 - Red, White & Blonde Reviews

• Sep 22, 2019

This movie is so funny, and so charming. Loved how she tried to save all animals from testing! I loved how it was places in Washington DC!

• Jun 06, 2019

A sequel that falters its premise the second time around. Charles Herman-Wurmfield's legal comedy Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, & Blonde (2003) is like a less funny version of Legally Blonde (2001). It takes the strong smart woman that blonde attorney Elle Woods becomes at the end of Legally Blonde and turns her into a dumb blonde all over again. She suddenly has to work to remember basic things and changes her whole attitude in this meandering sequel. The direction pales in comparison to the first's focused narrative and quick firing jokes. The editing is more dated than Legally Blonde's with ugly cut in floating heads, awkward split screen conversations, and Luke Wilson is dubbed over in one car ride while his mouth is visibly closed on screen. Legally Blonde 2 just lost its fire and energy. The jokes are too dumb and too nostalgic for its superior predecessor that was just two years prior to this movie. The writing is spread thin of a dull, near pointless plot that feels so cringe inducing and implausible. Why would Congress care about animal testing when it's presented in such a dumb basic way? It's too ridiculous to believe even in this movie. Reese Witherspoon is still delightful as Elle Woods. Her fun charm is the only reason to watch this mediocre sequel. Her relentless performance is always entertaining despite the failing movie surrounding her. Sally Field is fun as the underhanded congresswoman. Regina King is cool as the smart serious lawyer and foil to Elle Woods. Jennifer Coolidge is too dumb to enjoy this time around as Paulette. Bruce McGill is good, but his character is a too sweet version of a conservative NRA Congressional representative. Luke Wilson is barely in this sequel and Bob Newhart's doorman ex machina character feels like lazy writing. Dana Ivey is fun, if oddly unbelievable as an ex sorority girl congresswoman. Finally, Mary Lynn Rajskub is super sweet as Reena and a nice reprieve from all the mean girls in Legally Blonde 2. The music is still fun, but not as memorable as the strange early 2000's pop and alternative soundtrack from Legally Blonde. The 95 minute length feels closer to 2 hours rather than 1 as the storytelling is nowhere to be seen. This movie takes a genuinely brave stance on ending animal testing for cosmetic products. It does so by introducing a gay dog subplot that is both awkward and feels endless. So much of this movie could have been cleaned up with some neat edits and better jokes. It all feels like a hollow cash grab based on the smash success of Legally Blonde. I can only commend Reese Witherspoon's performance as an actress and the nice message of animal and gay rights. The message of female empowerment from Legally Blonde feels lost in a sea of dumb blonde jokes at Elle's expense. At least the costumes are still fun in an over the top charming way. In short, this one is not worth watching unless you absolutely need more of Reese Witherspoon's smart lawyer and dumb blonde caricature Elle Woods. It's pretty rough to watch in certain unrealistic scenes.

• Mar 27, 2019

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde: 5 out of 10: Elle Woods returns after the surprise hit that was Legally Blonde. This time she is in Washington D.C. trying to get a billed passed to ban animal testing for cosmetics. Will Elle win over Congress as easily as she won over Harvard? The Good: Bob Newhart is in this. I like Bob Newhart. The film is so wonderfully incorrect in so many ways it borders on a camp classic. It is the basic Showgirls conundrum. It is a horrific car wreck. Why am I still watching? Am I actually entertained by the sheer audacity in making something so wonderfully tone deaf? The Bad: Where to begin⦠where to begin. The jokes donâ(TM)t land. Not some of the jokes donâ(TM)t land mind you none of the jokes lands. It is a cringefest that reminds one of watching Caddyshack 2 in stunned silence and disbelief on how that film got everything so wrong. There is a scene where the congressional aides do a cheerleader dance that is simply something out of the deepest recesses of the Id to the point that one suspects the script was punched up by William Burroughs. The Ugly: Elle Woods finds out her dog is gay. In the next scene, the dog is dressed like Rob Halford. This is something one might expect from a French farce from the 1980s, not a progressive modern comedy. Then again the first Legally Blonde hinged on Elle outing a pool boy because he recognized her fabulous shoes. Hmmm. I am seeing a trend here. In Conclusion: I was becoming bemused watching this film. By the time it recreated the Louis Farrakhan's Million Man March but substituted Black Men with blonde girls dressed in pink walking dogs I was amazed. I liked the first Legally Blonde more than I thought I would. It was a cartoon true but the lead character was well drawn and the whole enterprise had a sweetness about it. The sequelâ(TM)s problem is not so much it does not have also have these strengths. The sequelâ(TM)s problem is it takes place in Aliceâ(TM)s Wonderland filled with Mad Hatters where conservative Republican congressman talks about how they love their gay dog and horrible hairdressing gets votes. This is a trainwreck that would be the subject of weeks of Jezebel and Guardian think pieces with finger-wagging had it been released today. It is a borderline entertaining trainwreck, however. .

• Mar 24, 2019

Still humorously cute and intentionally nuanced in a positive angle with Witherspoon still charming as ever in an interesting step-forward if you find the pinkish predecessor entertaining, but the predictability from that has expanded throughout the frivolously downgraded though decently honest tackle on politics. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Feb 27, 2019

Not as good as the original. Bit of a cash grab with a poor story and generally a rehash of the original. But Reece manages to save the film as Elle. Good supporting cast and a good light hearted entertaining film

• Oct 15, 2018

Basically, I do like this movie. It's good, entertaining, and enjoyable. I really am glad they made a sequel. But to be honest, this movie actually could have been better. This movie does know what it is. But it doesn't seem to take itself very seriously.

• Dec 18, 2017

Puntaje Original: 4.0 Una secuela innecesaria.

Puntaje Original: 4.0 Una secuela innecesaria.

• Dec 12, 2017

I like the first part much better.

I like the first part much better.

• Jun 29, 2017

Just a clever and funny as the first

Just a clever and funny as the first

• Jun 13, 2017

Very poor compared to the first Legally Blonde.

Very poor compared to the first Legally Blonde.