Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Reviews

February 21, 2018
Great little film with a nice message to it. Definately worth a watch
January 17, 2018
Jim Carrey really made this movie. His depiction of the Italian Scientist might be his best character yet of all time. It is one of Jim's finest overall. Also a good story along with creative visuals.
½ November 5, 2017
This is certainly not one of Jim Carrey's best movies, but it is harmless enough. I have never read the books, so I have no clue how faithful it is or not. It doesn't always flow well, but it is beautifully shot at least. Not a fan of most of the actors though. It is worth checking out at least once, but it is kind of forgettable.
October 29, 2017
A mess of tone in what could of been a great adaptation.
½ October 14, 2017
"The movie you are about to see is extremely unpleasant."

I gave this movie a chance and it blew it.
During the entire thing I felt just as much emotion as these chunks of wood.
Let's start with the compliments I have for this film.
The cinematography is pretty good. The main antagonist is awfully hatable and there are certain elements of mystery and suspense, which I enjoyed quite a lot.
Unfortunately, I was way too distracted by what a f*cking moron everybody is.
I have also seen a few reviewers talk about how great the visual effects in this movie are. I don't know how much of this movie was CG, so who am I to judge, but there were many moments that left me scratching my head at how fake the backgrounds looked.

In the end, some people might consider this a classic or something, but to me, it's just a mediocre movie with a few good moments based on some probably great books.
July 16, 2017
A awful adaptation of Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" this film should be called "A Movie Of Unfortunate Material". The enchantment of the books have been ripped out of the film. Klaus in the book has glasses. In the film he does not wear glasses what was a weird mistake. Jim Carrey's Count Olaf was the definition of mediocre his capture of Count Olaf really did not match Snicket's style in the book. The boring look onto Lemony Snicket's book feels like a insult.
½ July 1, 2017
Good concept. Well-done pre-teen film based off the book series. Also, any movie with Jim Carrey in it is almost always a blast. While some bits of the film could have been improved, it's still a unique and funny portrayal of a darker story.
May 16, 2017
Random, Whacky, and a lot of fun!!!
May 7, 2017
With great performances all round (especially by Jim Carrey) by a solid cast this dark comedy also has brilliant production, a witty and emotionally weighty script, fantastic score and some solid action this is once again a great start to a series that never was.
April 25, 2017
A Series of Unfortunate Events tries to fit three books into its less-than-two-hour run time, and it loses a lot of its source material and feels rushed as a result, but the visuals, music, and Jim Carrey's performance make it entertaining.
March 9, 2017
i thought this was a pretty good movie
February 25, 2017
I love the movie. First time I saw it was when I was 11, now I'm 17 and I completely loved it.
February 5, 2017
A fun if uneven adaptation of its source material.
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 2, 2017
It does have some bizzare moments, but it makes an entertaining and interesting movie with Jim Carrey.
½ January 28, 2017
Exceedingly good, considering it only uses the first 3 books. The child acting is on point, if lacking a bit on character building. Jude Law lends his voice as Lemony Snicket and it works wonders. Jim Carrey, although mainly comedic, can be scary when needed. Billy Connolly and Meryl Streep are great choices.
January 26, 2017
One of my favorite TV shows! Creative, funny, dark, mysterious, suspenseful, aggravating... everything this show needs!
½ January 20, 2017
Despite its weak script, Lemony Snicket is a movie that can offer to us excellent Jim Carrey's performances and a brilliant, magical and in the same time dark environment bringing to us a special and entertaining story.
½ January 19, 2017
If the film wasn't based a on series of books, it would have been better. But the only saving grace of the movie is Jim Carrey having fun with his character. C-
½ January 18, 2017
Took the stories, and ruined the plot horribly! They stayed true to the books in only some regards, and I am embarassed to say that it represented Lemony Snicket's wonderful books.