Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Reviews

April 29, 2018
An absolutely brilliant tale where the ending had me breathless with tears on my cheeks. Lemony Snicket tells a marvelous tale with a moral that can relate to all of us. Bravo!
½ April 29, 2018
i will get you..

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Despite of being goofy, questionable and even cheesy sometimes, it works like a charm and the credit goes to the brilliant adapted screenplay by Robert Gordon that keeps the audience engaged through its finely detailed peculiar world that the characters revolve around. Brad Silberling is exceptionally good on executing such premise but it required better editing. The feature scores majestically on performance level by Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep and a decent support among the young actors too. A Series Of Unfortunate Events has a darker and stronger premise than a usual kid's feature and still is light and breezy due to the stellar performances and amusing little inputs in the characters.
March 30, 2018
Splendid! I enjoy the show and how it keeps me on the edge of my seat!! Will they ever be free of count Olaf?? I hope so!! I loved the book series and this just fits the imagery in my head perfectly!!
February 21, 2018
Great little film with a nice message to it. Definately worth a watch
January 17, 2018
Jim Carrey really made this movie. His depiction of the Italian Scientist might be his best character yet of all time. It is one of Jim's finest overall. Also a good story along with creative visuals.
½ November 5, 2017
This is certainly not one of Jim Carrey's best movies, but it is harmless enough. I have never read the books, so I have no clue how faithful it is or not. It doesn't always flow well, but it is beautifully shot at least. Not a fan of most of the actors though. It is worth checking out at least once, but it is kind of forgettable.
October 29, 2017
A mess of tone in what could of been a great adaptation.
½ October 14, 2017
"The movie you are about to see is extremely unpleasant."

I gave this movie a chance and it blew it.
During the entire thing I felt just as much emotion as these chunks of wood.
Let's start with the compliments I have for this film.
The cinematography is pretty good. The main antagonist is awfully hatable and there are certain elements of mystery and suspense, which I enjoyed quite a lot.
Unfortunately, I was way too distracted by what a f*cking moron everybody is.
I have also seen a few reviewers talk about how great the visual effects in this movie are. I don't know how much of this movie was CG, so who am I to judge, but there were many moments that left me scratching my head at how fake the backgrounds looked.

In the end, some people might consider this a classic or something, but to me, it's just a mediocre movie with a few good moments based on some probably great books.
July 16, 2017
A awful adaptation of Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" this film should be called "A Movie Of Unfortunate Material". The enchantment of the books have been ripped out of the film. Klaus in the book has glasses. In the film he does not wear glasses what was a weird mistake. Jim Carrey's Count Olaf was the definition of mediocre his capture of Count Olaf really did not match Snicket's style in the book. The boring look onto Lemony Snicket's book feels like a insult.
½ July 1, 2017
Good concept. Well-done pre-teen film based off the book series. Also, any movie with Jim Carrey in it is almost always a blast. While some bits of the film could have been improved, it's still a unique and funny portrayal of a darker story.
May 16, 2017
Random, Whacky, and a lot of fun!!!
May 7, 2017
With great performances all round (especially by Jim Carrey) by a solid cast this dark comedy also has brilliant production, a witty and emotionally weighty script, fantastic score and some solid action this is once again a great start to a series that never was.
April 25, 2017
A Series of Unfortunate Events tries to fit three books into its less-than-two-hour run time, and it loses a lot of its source material and feels rushed as a result, but the visuals, music, and Jim Carrey's performance make it entertaining.
March 9, 2017
i thought this was a pretty good movie
February 25, 2017
I love the movie. First time I saw it was when I was 11, now I'm 17 and I completely loved it.
February 5, 2017
A fun if uneven adaptation of its source material.
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 2, 2017
It does have some bizzare moments, but it makes an entertaining and interesting movie with Jim Carrey.
½ January 28, 2017
Exceedingly good, considering it only uses the first 3 books. The child acting is on point, if lacking a bit on character building. Jude Law lends his voice as Lemony Snicket and it works wonders. Jim Carrey, although mainly comedic, can be scary when needed. Billy Connolly and Meryl Streep are great choices.