Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Reviews

October 4, 2016
Hilarious, grimly unique, unorthodox, well directed, it's altering of the source material an some occasional missed potential being the only minor flaws it exhibits.
October 1, 2016
Good story. Jim Carrey rocks!
September 11, 2016
A very Burtonesque dark comedy-fantasy for kids with a very strong cast. Don't be put off by seeing Jude Law's name in the opening credits, he's only the narrator and not in it very much.
½ September 10, 2016
I love the movie and everything about it and I read all of the books( VERY GOOD BOOKS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ YET, READ THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!) But they should make more movies for the other books becuase they didn't make movies for 11 more books like COME ON I would be so happy if they made movies for the other, PLEASE do :)
½ July 26, 2016
I found this movie terrible because the chances of these events happening is 0.1%
½ July 25, 2016
One of my favorite movies ever.
½ July 25, 2016
This could have turned out worse. For a movie that crammed 3 books into 1. It could have been better. Jim Carrey's portrayal was too silly for me to be intimidated by Olaf. Which sucks, because the book version scares the shit out of me.
July 21, 2016
Es una de mis peliculas favoritas ever.
½ June 22, 2016
It's more silly than depressing, but it's a fun adaption of the first three books in the series. Jim Carrey's role ultimately stands out, and it is good, but the rest of the cast is just as fine. It's a little rushed at times, and doesn't have the most solid ending. The sets and designs are really nice. A enjoyable, fun dark movie.
June 13, 2016
This is one of the more underrated movies of the early 2000's. Its positive themes shine through the beautifully bleak and gothic scenery, its humor is charming, and its characters outstanding. For me, it is the ultimate feel-good story.

Also, bravo to Jim Carrey on this multi-faceted role. We need to see him around more.
June 11, 2016
Amazing!!! Creepy and compelling and just plain enchanting.
May 24, 2016
Quite an interesting story. :-D
May 23, 2016
It does have bizzare moments, but it makes an entertaining and interesting movie with Jim Carrey.
½ May 14, 2016
I fell asleep. I NEVER fall asleep in movies.
½ April 21, 2016
So-so - lacks that spark to make it special.

Three children - Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire - are left orphaned when their house burns down, with their parents in it, in mysterious circumstances. They are left in the custody of a distant relative, Count Olaf (played by Jim Carrey). It is soon apparent that Count Olaf only cares about the children for their large inheritance.

Fairly lacklustre, for the most part. Had potential as heartening tale about struggling against adversity and surviving but the plot is mostly a listless, rambling adventure. Conclusion is sweet and reasonably profound but this doesn't make up for the dullness that precedes it.

Part of the problem is that Jim Carrey, for all his outlandishness and clowning ability, fails to hit the right note. His performance just feels off, like he's going through the motions.

In what might be a first for me, I found the children's performances far more engaging and convincing than the adults. Plus, the baby gets the best lines (another first).

Considering that the director, Brad Silberling, and lead actor, Jim Carrey, are the main problems, a Tim Burton-Johnny Depp collaboration would have been a much better combination for this movie. The plot and target audience suits Burton to a T and he would have provided the suitable special effects, edginess mixed with sweetness, dark mixed with light. Depp, in camp mode, would have had a blast.

But, alas, that didn't happen.
April 18, 2016
Great set design/costumes. Cramming 3 books / wrapping up the mystery all in one movie was a terrible idea. Jim Carrey sucks as Count Olaf.
April 3, 2016
One of the most underestimated movies of the year, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events subverts the nasty and horrifying themes of the books into something far more comedic, combining a well-rounded screenplay and good acting
½ April 1, 2016
Powerful, reminding, theatrical, and brit-ish
March 29, 2016
The movie is dark in some aspects, but that is what makes it shine.
February 24, 2016
A successfully dark family film proving that fairytales don't have have such a joyful ending. In addition to the story's unique and creative plot thanks to Lemony Snicket, the film is true to its wonderful source material. Another Rob Gordon masterpiece.