Léon: The Professional - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Léon: The Professional Reviews

October 14, 2016
I view all Gary Oldman films....and this is my very favorite film, period.
October 2, 2016
Wow what a great movie, can't believe I'm just now seeing this movie, thanks to the people who recommended it. Anyone who has not seen it I highly recommend It.
September 30, 2016
A shocking and effective action drama. Awesome performances from both leads, and one of the best child performances ever by a young Natalie Portman, who is able to add to the sexual tension in the relationship.
½ September 24, 2016
Jean Reno's commanding performance is done so with such few words. The hitman with a heart.
September 21, 2016
one of my favorites!
September 10, 2016
Very odd relationship between Reno and Portman but it works. Also, can we please stop with the villain who listens to classical music trope? I'm over it...
September 5, 2016
"Professional" is one of those movies that enchants the viewer, it's sad, it's funny, sensual, violent, dramatic and with good action doses, is a film that is to please all without leaving aside its good construction because all these elements are not thrown in any way screen with a simple but good script (although it contains some holes), a sensational soundtrack, very well orchestrated that controls the pace of the film, with a clear picture, we are talking about professional killers and the film has a clean, clear and beautiful picture (remember a little pulb fiction), a sound mixing precise and perfect assembly, the assembly of this film is sensational, and the camera angles reminiscent of the best work of Scorsese, let's talk about the beautiful performances, especially Natalie Portman that as Mathilda (with I2 years), is the second best performance of his career (second only to black swan), the film tells the story of a girl after her family slain is created by a hired assassin who teaches the killing, Mathilda fall in love with this killer and rehearses to a sexual desire for the same, the story is heavy, but captive, and is light and addictive, Luc Besson does an excellent job in this movie.
½ September 5, 2016
Jean Reno versus Gary Oldman with the safety of Natalie Portman hanging in the balance.....and Oldman is the psychotic villain in this one so you know it's damn good.
August 29, 2016
My favorite Jean Reno and Gary Oldman film. Excellent script.
½ August 29, 2016
If films like commando are definative of 80s action films.. this one is definitive of 90s action films.
½ August 24, 2016
Besson creates a very interesting and compelling character portrayed perfectly by sjdbdi. And the relationship between Portman's character and Leon is really fleshed out and makes you care in the end. Other than that, there's not enough of Gary Oldman or any other villain to make a compelling plot, the characters are compelling enough, but the plot is too thin.
August 2, 2016
Rewatched July 2016: I remember watching and liking this at about 8 years old and still holds up as a suspenseful action character piece. Admittedly, the sexual suggestions from the kid were increasingly awkward, but still a very good performance from Portman. It's an easy film but good at what it was. Hoping to return to when movies were well written.
July 19, 2016
The movie about an illiterate hitman befriending a 12-year-old girl out for revenge is Luc Besson's finest work with great performances with a standout Gary Oldman's psychotic Stansfield.
July 15, 2016
Seems I'm doomed to perpetually waver on this film. The last time I watched it, I was convinced that it was far better than I had previously thought it to be. Watching it again ... I'm not so sure. I think it's an undeniably good film, but it feels about half an hour too long. The half hour leading up to the climax is particularly painfully slow. I think the problem is that I never really buy the relationship between Mathilda and Leon in anything deeper than a superficial action film manner, so when the film tries to delve into that relationship for real emotional payoff, it loses me. Great action flick ... check. Great villain ... check (I have firmly decided that Gary Oldman's amazingly outsized performance is great) The rest ... no not so much.
July 13, 2016
I really liked Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman in this movie and the movie was extremely captivating. Well worth it. The only thing that made me uncomfortable was the awkwardness between Natalie Portman's attraction to Leon... I would've liked it to be less creepy.
July 13, 2016
I think i remember it being good
July 6, 2016
One of a kind: a suspenseful thriller with French finesse, thanks to a gorgeously photographed succession of excellent, violent action and charming, peaceful scenes depicting the gradually built relationship of the characters. Often Mathilda doesn't sound like 12 but Portman manages to pull it off admirably. The resolution is very well-thought and the finale, brimming with tension, emerges as truly moving yet not melodramatic. Without noticing 2 hours flew and you grew really close to those two.
½ June 20, 2016

Back when movies where more focused, well written, and most of all original, Léon The Professional was there in 1994 to proudly take the price for most charming and unique action/drama film that doesnt let the menial revenge plot get in the way of everything else that makes the movie so unique, as well as making Luc Bessons most recent films even more embarassing.
June 15, 2016
Natalie Portman and the soundtrack.
May 26, 2016
Thrilling, suspenseful, emotionally gripping and SUPERBLY acted by the three principles. Sexual whatever has nothing to do w anything- just focus on the growing relationship for what it is and ENJOY!!!! I'm going to watch it again now.