Léon: The Professional - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Léon: The Professional Reviews

June 2, 2018
With memorable acting, score, a touching story and characters, the movie is a must watch and a great classic. Also, what's not to love about young Natalie Portman!
April 21, 2018
Very interesting setup. The way they show the two characters conversing in the restaurant was very original. Usually, they would shoot whole body shots but here they focused on the eyes. Loving the 90's style fashion and the style of the movie itself. Great sense of humor this movie.

Gary Oldman is brilliant and intense. The characters and roles he takes on, always seem to thrill me. He's very captivating to watch. It sucks seeing Mathilda's living situation. It's evident her parents don't really care.

Oh my god... that part where the girl is trying to get into Leon's apartment... powerful. Natalie even at that age was acting superbly. It's kind of comedic how Leon's life changes once he takes in the girl. I love how Luc hired Jean Reno to play this Leon character. I think it's marvelous.

It's kind of beautiful to see how Mathilda and Leon's relationship grows and how they become almost like father and daughter. Holy shit, that bathroom scene with Mathilda and Gary Oldman's character. The intensity. You really get to understand just how fucked in the head his character. And what's even more worse is that he has connections wishing the police department meaning h has power, meaning he owns the police. There's nothing worse than an evil corrupt cop.

It's so treasuring to see Leon have a vulnerable side to him. I'm so glad the movie ended the way it did. And especially with that song by Sting. It's wonderful because I think it sums up the whole feeling and relationship between Leon and Mathilda. Beautiful movie.

I think what's most compelling about this movie, is that we get to see inside the life of a hired assassin and how this particular person lives it. At home he's just a regular ole milk-drinking, clothes-ironing human being.
½ April 11, 2018
The style is naive and unreal.
½ April 10, 2018
Amazing film! definitely, recommend seeing this if you love action. If you are 11 and biow and don't love raw violence, this isn't the movie for you.
April 7, 2018
An undeniable classic. Don't come much better than this. Brilliant.
March 31, 2018
Absolutamente maravillosa
March 17, 2018
I've been looking for an action-thriller that would fill the John Wick void.  This one is it.  While the storyline itself is pretty thin, the film makes up for it with a great bad guy (Oldman), fast-paced action sequences and very touching relationship between Leon (Reno) and Mathilda (Portman).  One scene between them especially tugged at my heart strings.  It's something that still comes to mind weeks later.
March 8, 2018
good but a bit weird
March 4, 2018
beautifully tragic. made to perfection.must watch
½ February 28, 2018
The movie was so good that i didn't check my phone the entire time! But seriously, it is better than the average!
February 8, 2018
This is one of the "must-watch" type of movies. Outstanding performance by the cast, and the story is very touching.
February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 3
Total: 20/25
January 28, 2018
Flawless. A perfect blend of drama and action. This and Nikita are the only movies Luc Besson needs to have a classic director status.
January 13, 2018
Leon the profession is a terrific character study, surrounded bu a rich world and brilliant plot. This movie showcases Portman's incredible acting skills from a very young age. French writer-director Luc Besson keeps the audience engaged with his signature directing style that encapsulates this movie. It is funny, tragic and simply unforgettable. This movie inspired my love cinema and I hope that others enjoy it. 10/10
January 8, 2018
Still one my most favourite films ever. Classic.
December 23, 2017
I can only speak for the director's cut. Don't miss it.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje original: 7.5

Una obra maestra de Luc Besson; The Professional nos ofrece una versión introspectiva y humanitaria de la psicología de un sicario, con disfrutables escenas de acción con el propósito de seguir una secuencia narrativa, de la mano de magistrales actuaciones de Natalie Portman, gary Oldman y Jean Reno.
½ December 14, 2017
In September of '94 I was a senior in high school and never would have taken an interest in seeing a movie like The Professional. This is probably a good thing, because for whatever reason, many of the movies I saw back then I've either watched too many times since, or simply forgotten about them.

I can now tick this off of the I-can't-believe-I've-never-seen-it list of movies and gratefully add it to the hey-that-was-pretty-good list.
While the story itself has a certain timeless quality to it, there is something about the directions taken here that make it a very 90s movie. I think if it'd been made earlier, it wouldn't have been as alive or as joyfully jarring as it is. If it had been made much later, I think it would have gone further into the darker sides of the story and much of its innocence may have been sacrificed for shock value.
Natalie Portman went from unknown kid actress to star the second she pops up on screen. She is magnetic and her accomplished performance could have carried this whole movie. Now toss in the engaging turn by Jean Reno and a damn creepy (slightly over-the-top) villain from that chameleon Gary Oldman, and add a truly unique hitman story. Boom. Gold.
In the hands of a more "known" studio or director the idea of a hitman who gets paired up with a twelve-year-old girl could have easily gone cutesy. Luc Besson gives us plenty of cute and lots of warm-hearted laughter, but he's not afraid to keep this story grounded in a very adult world. It's violent, it's vulgar, but it's also genuinely unnerving. Portman's Matihlda is clearly not just "a cute kid" here. She's been raised in an ugly environment of crime and poverty by loveless parents, with only her little brother and her imagination to turn to for any kind of genuine affection. It's done a number on her. Leon--Reno's loner hitman--has a tragic past as well that has left him in an almost mechanical state of being until Matilda comes along.
There are many cliches that are avoided here, and those that sneak through are tolerable. Much of the procedings are very far-fetched, but rarely bad enough to take me out of the moment. All in all a very entertaining movie. If you, like myself, missed it, track it down. If you caught it before, I probably don't have to tell you to go catch it again.
November 12, 2017
Prob the fourth time to watch, can't help myself when he is doing piggy game to make her happy.
November 7, 2017
This movie is so surrounding and interesting! One of the best movies I've seen