Léon: The Professional - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Léon: The Professional Reviews

December 3, 2016
It might not appeal to your sensibilities, this unconventional relationship, and, it might make you uncomfortable, but there's a definite line that is never crossed. Your unease should give way to a weird kind of sentimentality, as, what could so easily have been quite a sleazy, uncomfortable setup turns into a kind of father-daughter thing, one of care, compassion, loyalty and, yes, love. A thriller not too dissimilar to some we've seen before, but with that intriguing extra dynamic thrown in. Oh and Natalie Portman is terrific.
December 1, 2016
An engaging, offbeat thriller that introduced the world to Natalie Portman.

Grade: A
November 30, 2016
Reno and Oldman are great, but Portman steals the show.
½ November 29, 2016
Violent, loud once but good
November 24, 2016
A must watch film. The international cut has a slower pace but a more rounded story and better character development. On Blu-ray.
½ November 13, 2016
Really enjoyed this movie. It has some really great characters. I found Oldman's performance to be absolutely ridiculous and at the same time so entertaining.
November 6, 2016
Awesome movie - has hardly dated one bit
November 6, 2016
Con Jean Reno como Léon, Natalie Portman como Mathilda; y Gary Oldman como Stansfield. Mathilda, una niña de 12 años acaba de perder a su familia en una disputa entre narcos y policías corruptos. Recibirá protección de un vecino, Leon, que resulta ser un asesino profesional. Desde ese momento una peculiar relación entre Mathilda y Leon inicia, en la que la figura paterna y de protector hace que a pequeña se enamore de Leon. Mathilda quiere formarse como asesina para poder vengar a su familia del corrupto policía Stansfield. Una de las primeras actuaciones de Natalie Portman..
October 14, 2016
I view all Gary Oldman films....and this is my very favorite film, period.
October 2, 2016
Wow what a great movie, can't believe I'm just now seeing this movie, thanks to the people who recommended it. Anyone who has not seen it I highly recommend It.
September 30, 2016
A shocking and effective action drama. Awesome performances from both leads, and one of the best child performances ever by a young Natalie Portman, who is able to add to the sexual tension in the relationship.
½ September 24, 2016
Jean Reno's commanding performance is done so with such few words. The hitman with a heart.
September 21, 2016
one of my favorites!
September 10, 2016
Very odd relationship between Reno and Portman but it works. Also, can we please stop with the villain who listens to classical music trope? I'm over it...
September 5, 2016
"Professional" is one of those movies that enchants the viewer, it's sad, it's funny, sensual, violent, dramatic and with good action doses, is a film that is to please all without leaving aside its good construction because all these elements are not thrown in any way screen with a simple but good script (although it contains some holes), a sensational soundtrack, very well orchestrated that controls the pace of the film, with a clear picture, we are talking about professional killers and the film has a clean, clear and beautiful picture (remember a little pulb fiction), a sound mixing precise and perfect assembly, the assembly of this film is sensational, and the camera angles reminiscent of the best work of Scorsese, let's talk about the beautiful performances, especially Natalie Portman that as Mathilda (with I2 years), is the second best performance of his career (second only to black swan), the film tells the story of a girl after her family slain is created by a hired assassin who teaches the killing, Mathilda fall in love with this killer and rehearses to a sexual desire for the same, the story is heavy, but captive, and is light and addictive, Luc Besson does an excellent job in this movie.
½ September 5, 2016
Jean Reno versus Gary Oldman with the safety of Natalie Portman hanging in the balance.....and Oldman is the psychotic villain in this one so you know it's damn good.
August 29, 2016
My favorite Jean Reno and Gary Oldman film. Excellent script.
½ August 29, 2016
If films like commando are definative of 80s action films.. this one is definitive of 90s action films.
½ August 24, 2016
Besson creates a very interesting and compelling character portrayed perfectly by sjdbdi. And the relationship between Portman's character and Leon is really fleshed out and makes you care in the end. Other than that, there's not enough of Gary Oldman or any other villain to make a compelling plot, the characters are compelling enough, but the plot is too thin.
August 2, 2016
Rewatched July 2016: I remember watching and liking this at about 8 years old and still holds up as a suspenseful action character piece. Admittedly, the sexual suggestions from the kid were increasingly awkward, but still a very good performance from Portman. It's an easy film but good at what it was. Hoping to return to when movies were well written.