Léon: The Professional - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Léon: The Professional Reviews

½ December 14, 2017
In September of '94 I was a senior in high school and never would have taken an interest in seeing a movie like The Professional. This is probably a good thing, because for whatever reason, many of the movies I saw back then I've either watched too many times since, or simply forgotten about them.

I can now tick this off of the I-can't-believe-I've-never-seen-it list of movies and gratefully add it to the hey-that-was-pretty-good list.
While the story itself has a certain timeless quality to it, there is something about the directions taken here that make it a very 90s movie. I think if it'd been made earlier, it wouldn't have been as alive or as joyfully jarring as it is. If it had been made much later, I think it would have gone further into the darker sides of the story and much of its innocence may have been sacrificed for shock value.
Natalie Portman went from unknown kid actress to star the second she pops up on screen. She is magnetic and her accomplished performance could have carried this whole movie. Now toss in the engaging turn by Jean Reno and a damn creepy (slightly over-the-top) villain from that chameleon Gary Oldman, and add a truly unique hitman story. Boom. Gold.
In the hands of a more "known" studio or director the idea of a hitman who gets paired up with a twelve-year-old girl could have easily gone cutesy. Luc Besson gives us plenty of cute and lots of warm-hearted laughter, but he's not afraid to keep this story grounded in a very adult world. It's violent, it's vulgar, but it's also genuinely unnerving. Portman's Matihlda is clearly not just "a cute kid" here. She's been raised in an ugly environment of crime and poverty by loveless parents, with only her little brother and her imagination to turn to for any kind of genuine affection. It's done a number on her. Leon--Reno's loner hitman--has a tragic past as well that has left him in an almost mechanical state of being until Matilda comes along.
There are many cliches that are avoided here, and those that sneak through are tolerable. Much of the procedings are very far-fetched, but rarely bad enough to take me out of the moment. All in all a very entertaining movie. If you, like myself, missed it, track it down. If you caught it before, I probably don't have to tell you to go catch it again.
November 12, 2017
Prob the fourth time to watch, can't help myself when he is doing piggy game to make her happy.
November 7, 2017
This movie is so surrounding and interesting! One of the best movies I've seen
November 7, 2017
The most improbably story of all rendered believable by Luc Besson. Amazing.
October 23, 2017
best movie ever made!
October 23, 2017
A straight up perfect film.
September 27, 2017
Quite frankly, one of the best films I've ever seen.
September 14, 2017
It might not appeal to your sensibilities, this unconventional relationship, and, it might make you uncomfortable, but there's a definite line that is never crossed. Your unease should give way to a weird kind of sentimentality, as, what could so easily have been quite a sleazy, uncomfortable setup turns into a kind of father-daughter thing, one of care, compassion, loyalty and, yes, love. A thriller not too dissimilar to some we've seen before, but with that intriguing extra dynamic thrown in. Oh, and Natalie Portman is terrific.
½ August 29, 2017
A poignant, stylish thriller showing the unusual relationship between a professional assassin and a young girl who's family was murdered. It is moving, tense and entertaining, everything a thriller like this should be
August 22, 2017
Great Movie! Action Packed & Keeps You On The Edge Of Your Seat. A Little Uncomfortable To Watch At Certain Points But It's A Good Movie. Give It A Go
½ August 8, 2017
A somewhat expansion of a previous Luc Besson film La Femme Nikita however unlike that film this has more characters to care about and a genuinely scary villain in the form of Norman Stansfield played by the magnificent Gary Oldman. Jean Reno and Natalie Portman also work well together, the action scenes are great, I like the majority of the plot and script, the score by Éric Serra is great (can hear some elements in it that would be used in Goldeneye) and the visual style along with the direction are spot on.
July 16, 2017
great movie. everyone else can F off.
½ July 10, 2017
It's not what I expected I thought l would see a relationship like father and daughter not to be lovers in most of the movie.
wtf is wrong with the one who made them look like .
And how could a hitman .. a professional be so naive , that a girl moves him around like a little puppet.
It's not realistic..
½ July 4, 2017
Leon The Professional is top-notch Action coming from Natalie Portman and Jean Reno
June 22, 2017
It's not easy creating a story about a hitman and a minor without getting cheesy, goofy, or sentimental, and yet Leon manages to balance a budding mentoring relationship and a serious toned criminal element, that alone deserves some credit, while the cast deserves the rest.
June 18, 2017
Who are these critics! 71% Come on! 95% much more realistic.
½ June 1, 2017
uneven script but great preformamces
½ May 26, 2017
it touched me,Martina is cute and strong
½ May 24, 2017
For me.. as an action movie lover.. this movie really disappoints???? watched the movie by seeing all this ratings.. but there is nothing special except for some fine performance.. very slow paced movie
May 21, 2017
1940 Was 54 Years Old In 1994.