Les MisÚrables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les MisÚrables Reviews

July 19, 2017
Wonderful movie. I loved the astonishing cast and the beautiful cinematography.
½ July 13, 2017
The casting and most of the vocals are spot-on, and it does find moments of cinematic epicness. However, the story is often overshadowed by the musical numbers.
July 11, 2017
Perhaps i wasn't in the mood for musicals, but when I watched this it was hard to understand the story behind all the singing. After CliffNotes I understood better this depressing story.
July 11, 2017
This one is marvelous when it comes to a french historical event. What i like to say is that this will make you feel more merciful in terms of characters
½ July 7, 2017
bloated but still good
½ July 1, 2017
It's better on a second watch through, but still not good.
June 21, 2017
I expected more but Les Miserables is a beautiful interpretation of the stage production based on the Victor Hugo novel. By the way Anne Hathaway gives a breathtaking performance. A well deserved Oscar !!! Hugh Jackman did also a great job in this musical !
June 20, 2017
A dirty, gritty, true-to-life film with amazing performances and attention to detail. I was disappointed with the vocals in some of the songs, but then not all of these actors are singers and it was recorded live. A classic story. AAN GGWM. 1001. D
June 10, 2017
I can't believe how many people do not tolerate the musicals, don't you get it?? They are going to sing all the movie! That's what It's all about ! don't want to see a bunch of people singing?? Go ahead and watch Transformers. Art isn't for everyone anyways ...
June 8, 2017
One of my favorite musicals!!!
½ June 6, 2017
the whole film is singing couldnt get through it anne hathaways song was good
May 26, 2017
a great musical ruined by questionable singing. very disappointed.
½ May 24, 2017
Phenomenal musical /play to film adaptation starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda seyfried and Eddie redmayne, the guy from the new spin-off Harry potter movies. First things first the singing is amazing especially Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman. It was stunning how these actors could sing and sing really well. I'm saying that because some people in this movie that sing are not any good. I apologize but I'm a movie critic, it's my job to criticize people even though this movie won how many number of Oscars and golden globes. Russell Crowe, man Russell crowe is and was in this movie the best, to me he was the show stopper, every time he sang it was the best, I felt happy. Even though he's the main villain in this film he was without a doubt the best part of this movie. Hugh Jackman on the other hand was just as good but already knowing that Hugh Jackman used to do plays before acting, it wasn't as surprising as Russell Crowe singing. The main story or plot wasn't that interesting, to me the only reason I liked the movie is because of Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman. Anne Hathaway s character was nice but when she died, spoiler alert I didn't feel any emotions. I had a lot of emotions about Hugh Jackman dying or Russell Crowe s character s suicide but besides that, oh I forgot all about the little kid getting shot 2 times, three sad things. Overall without Russell Crowe or Hugh Jackman this movie would be ok but because they're the main characters I enjoyed this film.
May 20, 2017
Fantastically moving and incredibly well executed. You feel the struggles, the love and the fears of these people as they face poverty, revolution and slavery. This isn't a picture for the casual movie goer and the fact that it refuses to cater to the lowest denominator is part of what makes it so great.
May 12, 2017
Who don't like this movie, don't have emotions.
April 28, 2017
They butchered one of my favorite books of all time, and one of the greatest stories of all time. Just because you sing your lines, does not mean it is a song. I was so very excited for this modern version... only to wish it had never been happened....
April 10, 2017
Variety Film Critic Jay Sherman Called This Film His Tenth Best Film Of 2012 On His Top Ten Best Of 2012 List.
½ March 31, 2017
If someone didn't like this movie at all I would totally understand, though I enjoyed this movie overall. If your a fan of the musical, I think this is worth checking out.
March 29, 2017
This was such a big disappointment, I love musicals but i have to admit i prefer them with at least a little bit of talking. This was just constant singing for nearly three hours and i left the cinema with a banging headache. It made me cry a LOT! i did expect this from such a sad story so i guess in that sense it did its job. I personally felt the film had no consistency and every thing had went into making the big numbers amazing (which they are) but the story lags in so many places that i was left bored for the majority of the film. Anne Hathaway, Samantha Barks and Russell Crowe were amazing, but everyone else is just annoying or becomes annoying.
March 18, 2017
Every word spoken/sang, overflowing with emotions. The movie touched my very soul. half a star taken away because of moments that take too long. I would watch this again but I would want to watch it again on a big screen still.