Les Misérables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les Misérables Reviews

½ April 12, 2018
based on the musical and novel, it feels like a 2-and-a-half-hour music video but has dedicated performances in an engaging story, and importantly, memorable songs. melodrama and live singing are prominent, and it's generally well-acted and remarkable.
April 7, 2018
Wildly uneven and overstuffed. The film largely succeeds thanks to its amazing score and strong performances.
½ March 30, 2018
Russell Crowe's awful singing and the odd use of long takes and jump cuts throughout the cinematography does make this long awaited adaptation of Claude-Michel Schonberg's musical epic, much less impressive than the stage version.

However fans of Les Miserables and musicals in general, will get a kick out it's massive scope, Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Samantha Barks's incredible performances as Jean Valjean, Fantine and Eponine, respectively and the reworking of Claude's scores and songs for the big screen. It may not be the best version of the musical, but Tom Hooper mostly succeeds at making this work within the context of a film.
½ March 6, 2018
A very good movie. but still couldn't keep up with the book. The book is the best classic i have ever read.
March 2, 2018
Astounding, the soundtrack is catchy and beautiful. The characters all have depth and the fast pace keeps you on your feet. The story is well baked, no part seems to come out of no where.
February 12, 2018
Russel Crowe was amazing, fight me
January 30, 2018
A dirty, gritty, true-to-life film with amazing performances and attention to detail. I was disappointed with the vocals in some of the songs, but then not all of these actors are singers and it was recorded live. A classic story. AAN GGWM AFI 1001. D
½ January 20, 2018
It's not the best adaptation of the musical but it adds few new things which are good. Anne Hathaway is fenomenal and rest of the cast is okay (despide Russell Crow who just don't fit in)
½ January 17, 2018
First time I see this movie. Pretty amazing and powerful.
January 16, 2018
Best musical! Best movie ever!
January 15, 2018
BEAUTIFUL!! BREATH TAKING!! ...BRILLIANT from start to finish!!!!
January 9, 2018
Majestic, heartfelt, and epic in scale. This, however, is due more to the source material and incredible music than to some of the questionable directorial choices. These choices (some additions, some changes from the original) can cause scenes to change from tear-inducing one moment to silly and unbelievable the next. Performances by Anne Hathaway and (especially) Hugh Jackman are indescribably beautiful. Performances by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen are equally grand. Performances by others like Russell Crowe are cheesy and forced. Seriously, why didn't someone sit Russell Crowe down and explain to him what human emotion sounds like while singing? Did he practice singing with to iPhone's Siri voice? (As I write these last two sentences I am reading them in his nasally sing-song voice). Why didn't someone explain to him that he didn't need to force every. single. syll. ab. le. of. every. single. word. into a sung note?
½ January 5, 2018
This movie has its flaws, but nearly if those are born from the seemingly impossible task of adapting one of the worlds greatest musicals to a film. Some stunning performances and probably as good as movie adaption could be.
½ January 1, 2018
Visually stunning and got great performances. There are enjoyable moments and emotional one's but the movie is to much long and that's exhaustive.
½ December 30, 2017
A wonderful remake of the classic musical Les Miserable with outstanding performance from Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. Amanda Seyfried also proves to be a very talented soprano.
December 24, 2017
I watched the whole film from start to finish twice months ago, and I have a mixed opinion about it.
Some of the songs are good - my favourites are 'Look Down', 'Castle On A Cloud', 'Master Of The House', 'One Day More' and 'Do You Hear The People Sing'.
But it's basically just non-stop singing for two and a half hours literally, which can get very boring after 20 minutes, but it's lucky that they have occasional dialogue in it to try and make sure it's less confusing.
I love the cast's performances, but I do notice a lot about Russell Crowe's performance as Javert: that his singing voice sounds weird, and that his acting is a little wooden.
It's a good movie, but it's not exactly something I would want to see again unless I'm having a musical movie night or something like that.
December 21, 2017
Its the best musical movie ever
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Hermosa y poderosa. Les Misérables nos ofrece un musical lleno de espíritu humano y una despampanante actuación de Anne Hathaway, que nos ofrece una de las mejores actuaciónes femeninas de todos los tiempos.
December 16, 2017
This story is as rich as they come. From jovial love stories to absolute desperation and full redemption. Not to mention there is a war going on to add to the drama. My personal favorite is the battle between grace and the law that is encompassed in Javet vs. Jean Valjean, they both are intensely sure they are right and the emotions that flow through the beautiful music of this film take your breath away every time you watch it.
½ November 22, 2017
Great family film; surprised by the high quality. Love the soundtrack!