Les MisÚrables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les MisÚrables Reviews

December 5, 2016
It's scale and epic is impressive but it's length and flat songs make it tough to not fast forward some of.
½ November 30, 2016
Okay, don't expect West-End-quality singing, but I think the acting and cinematography do justice to the full spectrum of emotions spanned by this beloved story. I was pleasantly surprised by the gorgeous singing of Marius, Eponine, Gavroche, and Anne Hathaway was mesmerising. I forgot how much I loved Les Miserables so this gets an extra star for bringing it back to me. Keep a tall glass of water nearby, you'll need it to replenish what you lose in tears and joy.
November 27, 2016
I have never cried so much for a movie.
I feel as though you needed to read the book to have full appreciation of it.
November 19, 2016
Didn't know most of these actors had such strong singing chops. Thought it would have a sad ending, but was pleasantly surprised.
October 27, 2016
This Les MisÚrables musical is tolerable at best. It barely held my attention, and for over two and a half hours, I often found myself thinking that someone dared the director to make an entire film a musical featuring actors who could kind of hold a note. I gave this film 2 stars for Eddie Redmayne's performance.
October 19, 2016
un musical in care cadrele sunt aproape de personaje, confera o atmosfera de teatru. am vazut primele 40 de min.
½ October 12, 2016
This is the most annoying, & downright worst movie musical I've ever seen.(so far)
October 9, 2016
Have seen the stage version 12 times and think the movie version is a fabulous adaption of the story. Top marks to Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway for their outstanding performances.Did,nt think much of Russell Crowe as Javert his voice was,nt strong enough for the role.
September 28, 2016
To be honest, I'm not into musicals much, but I still enjoyed it because the actors and the story were great... :)
½ September 26, 2016
This movie is an abomination to the genius Broadway musical it is based on. While Anne Hathaway and Aaron Tviet have Outstanding performances, most of the other cast butchered the beautiful writing. Amanda Seyfried tries to sing too high and sounds like a bootleg Disney Snow White, Russel Crowe lacks the range and Vocal Chops to play Javert, and don't even get me started on Eddie. Overall it is gimmicky and discracful.
September 16, 2016
This is a good movie for The Year of Mercy, which is what Pope Francis declared this year. This is a good, but not perfect, adaptation of the stage musical. The stage version is better. Overall, it is a moving and powerful musical about the theme of mercy in an often cruel world. Sadly, Russell Crowe is not the greatest singer in the world. He plays Javert who doesn't understand the role of mercy. Hugh Jackman's Jean Valjean does when a bishop is merciful to him for stealing some of his precious silver. Of course this changes his life and makes him become a better person and a merciful person. The film offers great performances by Jackson and Anne Hathaway (who won an Oscar) for her role of Fantine whose life goes to the bottom of the pit until Valjean shows mercy upon her. Also, has good supporting work by Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, Sasha Baron Cohen, and Helena Bonham Carter. And, of course, it has great music.
September 13, 2016
Definitely THE most underrated musical I've ever seen.
September 6, 2016
The cohesive strengths of the original Nunn-Caird RSC staging are almost entirely lost in Tom Hooper's lopsided and strangely unaffecting film version. His decision to have everyone sing live doesn't work, and the way the locations zip from Portsmouth to Greenwich to a very obvious and stagey Montmartre inside Pinewood Studios doesn't help. The singing - with the exception of Anne Hathaway's tremendous Fantine - is terrible. Eddie Redmayne seems to be channelling Mandy Patinkin, Russell Crowe hits most of the right notes but seems bored, and Hugh Jackman sings through his nose, although his acting is fine. First half good, second half tedious.
September 4, 2016
This adaptation is grand in scale and performances but Les Mis├ (C)rables seemingly falls flat with its overwhelming use of musical dialogue. The film based on the acclaimed novel-turned-musical is catchy and beautiful at times with its tunes but the lengthy portrayal and character development (or lack thereof) doesn't help reach whatever high notes it could've potentially hit. 3/5
September 3, 2016
They don't talk, they sing, and it's weird for a movie. The theatre version with more than 25 years of performing is more believable.
August 29, 2016
Impressive for a sequel! Each of the actors, and I would especially Jackman, made this movie one to be remembered! It is a sad and hard story but one told in as well a way as I think you can recreating a time period musical and bring it to life once again!
August 28, 2016
I did not expect this movie to be any good, but the music was amazing, and it's even better in the original French lyrics. Russell Crowe was the best Javert ever, and not just because of the acting. The way he sung his lyrics after "Little People" was a highlight of the movie for me. And I almost cried when I saw that ending they tacked on that wasn't even in the original novel. I didn't like Anne Hathaway's scenes, particularly when she got her teeth yanked out; that almost ruined the movie for me before it even began. But all and all a great English production of a French musical starring Australian actors.
½ August 22, 2016
Excellent job moving the play to the screen. Fantastic job all around, although Crowe is not the strongest singer. Good stuff!
August 16, 2016
Tom Hooper may stray a little to close-for-comfort, but Les Miserables spirit and energy shines through. Throw in real and amazing performances and you have a movie that will you leave breathless and in tears
August 10, 2016
Having run in the West End for decades and as one of the most renowned musicals in history, 2012 saw Tom Hooper adapt Cameron Mackintosh's historical extravaganza on the big screen. An all-star cast headed by Hugh Jackman star in this film... which, despite brilliant source material falls rather flat. It is visually pleasing, wonderfully dramatic and accompanied by a beautiful score; the only thing missing is the most important thing... the singing! In an entirely sung musical, Les Miserables fails to cast actors with competent vocal ability. Instead, the film seeks to boast its A-List names, rather than casting unknown theatre actors... who can actually sing the material at its best! With the correct actors, this film would surely be a masterpiece. It has beautiful visual effects, a classic and monumental story and wonderful music... but a disappointing cast brings this film to lower levels. Les Miserables ultimately fails to live up to the renowned West End musical and settles to be a mediocre and forgettable film.