Les MisÚrables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les MisÚrables Reviews

September 15, 2017
It was not my type of movie. Very boring and slow. I really tried.
September 15, 2017
I'm not usually a fan of musicals but I really enjoyed Les Miserables. Based on the French novel by Victor Hugo and the Broadway musical, Les Miserables tells the story of ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, on the run from a ruthless policeman Javert for breaking parole whose life changes for the better when he agrees to care for the daughter of an unfortunate factory worker. The majority of the singing in this film is excellent, Anne Hathaway gives an extremely raw and emotional performance as Fantine, Hugh Jackman belts his heart out as Jean Valjean and Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks, as Marius and Eponine, have excellent solos. The only place it falls down is with Russell Crowe who falls woefully short in the singing department, his delivery is flat, lifeless and you can hear his voice straining to hit the notes. It's a shame because with such a pivotal role, his solos don't have the impact they should and you find yourself waiting for his scenes to be over. Jean Valjean's story is very well told and he has an excellent character arc as does Marius but unfortunately some characters such as Eponine and Cosette are rather neglected for less important comedy characters. This film is emotionally focussed and if you get invested in the characters you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.
September 3, 2017
A dirty, gritty, true-to-life film with amazing performances and attention to detail. I was disappointed with the vocals in some of the songs, but then not all of these actors are singers and it was recorded live. A classic story. AAN GGWM 1001. D
½ September 3, 2017
Absolutely breathtaking beautiful if only hurt by some of the actors bad singing
½ August 11, 2017
The movie captured the heat and emotions of the play extraordinarily well. The tension between characters of such different intents and background was still there. The conflict between the poor and oppressed brought tears to my eyes.
August 9, 2017
New York Times Film Critic Jay Sherman, (1/25/58-, 1985-2017, 1985-2015), Called This Film His Tenth Best Film Of 2012 On His Best Of 2012 List.
August 6, 2017
While I appreciate that this is epic and well done...I just can't handle all song and no speech. It begins to grate after a while. That being said, Anne Hathaway sings the stuffing out of 'I dreamed a dream'. She feels every word, every note, every emotion of that song. Takes your breath away. Never has a scene been so raw and real.
August 2, 2017
A moving musical refleting the real true of the poor and unfortunet people of France in the 17th century. The showstopper was definately Anne Hathaway's performance that made the audience feel what her characters was feeling trough the powerful song ''I Dreamed a Dream''. That Oscar was so well diserved!
Final Avaliation: 8,2 out of 10!
July 29, 2017
Truly inspirational. I know musicals aren't for everyone but I don't understand how someone could sit through this and not be deeply touched.
July 19, 2017
Wonderful movie. I loved the astonishing cast and the beautiful cinematography.
½ July 13, 2017
The casting and most of the vocals are spot-on, and it does find moments of cinematic epicness. However, the story is often overshadowed by the musical numbers.
July 11, 2017
Perhaps i wasn't in the mood for musicals, but when I watched this it was hard to understand the story behind all the singing. After CliffNotes I understood better this depressing story.
July 11, 2017
This one is marvelous when it comes to a french historical event. What i like to say is that this will make you feel more merciful in terms of characters
½ July 7, 2017
bloated but still good
½ July 1, 2017
It's better on a second watch through, but still not good.
June 21, 2017
I expected more but Les Miserables is a beautiful interpretation of the stage production based on the Victor Hugo novel. By the way Anne Hathaway gives a breathtaking performance. A well deserved Oscar !!! Hugh Jackman did also a great job in this musical !
June 10, 2017
I can't believe how many people do not tolerate the musicals, don't you get it?? They are going to sing all the movie! That's what It's all about ! don't want to see a bunch of people singing?? Go ahead and watch Transformers. Art isn't for everyone anyways ...
June 8, 2017
One of my favorite musicals!!!
½ June 6, 2017
the whole film is singing couldnt get through it anne hathaways song was good
May 26, 2017
a great musical ruined by questionable singing. very disappointed.