Les Misérables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les Misérables Reviews

½ January 20, 2018
It's not the best adaptation of the musical but it adds few new things which are good. Anne Hathaway is fenomenal and rest of the cast is okay (despide Russell Crow who just don't fit in)
½ January 17, 2018
First time I see this movie. Pretty amazing and powerful.
January 16, 2018
Best musical! Best movie ever!
January 15, 2018
BEAUTIFUL!! BREATH TAKING!! ...BRILLIANT from start to finish!!!!
January 9, 2018
Majestic, heartfelt, and epic in scale. This, however, is due more to the source material and incredible music than to some of the questionable directorial choices. These choices (some additions, some changes from the original) can cause scenes to change from tear-inducing one moment to silly and unbelievable the next. Performances by Anne Hathaway and (especially) Hugh Jackman are indescribably beautiful. Performances by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen are equally grand. Performances by others like Russell Crowe are cheesy and forced. Seriously, why didn't someone sit Russell Crowe down and explain to him what human emotion sounds like while singing? Did he practice singing with to iPhone's Siri voice? (As I write these last two sentences I am reading them in his nasally sing-song voice). Why didn't someone explain to him that he didn't need to force every. single. syll. ab. le. of. every. single. word. into a sung note?
½ January 5, 2018
This movie has its flaws, but nearly if those are born from the seemingly impossible task of adapting one of the worlds greatest musicals to a film. Some stunning performances and probably as good as movie adaption could be.
½ January 1, 2018
Visually stunning and got great performances. There are enjoyable moments and emotional one's but the movie is to much long and that's exhaustive.
½ December 30, 2017
A wonderful remake of the classic musical Les Miserable with outstanding performance from Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. Amanda Seyfried also proves to be a very talented soprano.
December 24, 2017
I watched the whole film from start to finish twice months ago, and I have a mixed opinion about it.
Some of the songs are good - my favourites are 'Look Down', 'Castle On A Cloud', 'Master Of The House', 'One Day More' and 'Do You Hear The People Sing'.
But it's basically just non-stop singing for two and a half hours literally, which can get very boring after 20 minutes, but it's lucky that they have occasional dialogue in it to try and make sure it's less confusing.
I love the cast's performances, but I do notice a lot about Russell Crowe's performance as Javert: that his singing voice sounds weird, and that his acting is a little wooden.
It's a good movie, but it's not exactly something I would want to see again unless I'm having a musical movie night or something like that.
December 21, 2017
Its the best musical movie ever
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Hermosa y poderosa. Les Misérables nos ofrece un musical lleno de espíritu humano y una despampanante actuación de Anne Hathaway, que nos ofrece una de las mejores actuaciónes femeninas de todos los tiempos.
December 16, 2017
This story is as rich as they come. From jovial love stories to absolute desperation and full redemption. Not to mention there is a war going on to add to the drama. My personal favorite is the battle between grace and the law that is encompassed in Javet vs. Jean Valjean, they both are intensely sure they are right and the emotions that flow through the beautiful music of this film take your breath away every time you watch it.
½ November 22, 2017
Great family film; surprised by the high quality. Love the soundtrack!
November 8, 2017
Director Tom Hooper returns to the big screen after his Academy Award winning movie The King's Speech. Now, he brings us a passionate and breathtaking spectacle of the famous Broadway musical. Plus, actors Ann Hathaway, Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe all help shape Les Mis' superbness.
½ October 1, 2017
The singing, with a few small exceptions, was embarrassing. There are plenty of Les Miserables non musical movies. Singing should have been important. The emotion displayed by many principle characters was either inappropriate to the situation or non existent. It was entirely unbelievable, and as Les Miserables in one of my favorite musical, and I have seen many renditions I loved, this movie flat out offended and saddened me.
September 15, 2017
It was not my type of movie. Very boring and slow. I really tried.
September 15, 2017
I'm not usually a fan of musicals but I really enjoyed Les Miserables. Based on the French novel by Victor Hugo and the Broadway musical, Les Miserables tells the story of ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, on the run from a ruthless policeman Javert for breaking parole whose life changes for the better when he agrees to care for the daughter of an unfortunate factory worker. The majority of the singing in this film is excellent, Anne Hathaway gives an extremely raw and emotional performance as Fantine, Hugh Jackman belts his heart out as Jean Valjean and Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks, as Marius and Eponine, have excellent solos. The only place it falls down is with Russell Crowe who falls woefully short in the singing department, his delivery is flat, lifeless and you can hear his voice straining to hit the notes. It's a shame because with such a pivotal role, his solos don't have the impact they should and you find yourself waiting for his scenes to be over. Jean Valjean's story is very well told and he has an excellent character arc as does Marius but unfortunately some characters such as Eponine and Cosette are rather neglected for less important comedy characters. This film is emotionally focussed and if you get invested in the characters you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.
September 3, 2017
A dirty, gritty, true-to-life film with amazing performances and attention to detail. I was disappointed with the vocals in some of the songs, but then not all of these actors are singers and it was recorded live. A classic story. AAN GGWM 1001. D
½ September 3, 2017
Absolutely breathtaking beautiful if only hurt by some of the actors bad singing
½ August 11, 2017
The movie captured the heat and emotions of the play extraordinarily well. The tension between characters of such different intents and background was still there. The conflict between the poor and oppressed brought tears to my eyes.