Life of Pi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life of Pi Reviews

½ May 3, 2017
A vibrant, engaging and visually stunning adaptation of Martel's supposedly unfilmable novel. Ang Lee has managed, not only to film it, but to give us a film as beautiful and accomplished work.
May 2, 2017
Such a boring movie let me take a nap!!
April 23, 2017
When this movie came out, it was lauded for its amazing special effects in creating a life-like CGI tiger. Unfortunately, it seems people were too hyped about the visual effects, and ignored what is, in my opinion, the greatest story ever told. It is the story of Pi, and the 227 days he spent stranded out at sea after the ship he was on sunk. More importantly, though, it's a story of faith, proof, perception, reality, the darkness of man, and religion. If you accept the second story to be true, it is a movie where you get to see the character interact with a much darker aspect of himself that he never new before, and how he at first violently rejects it out of fear, but ends up needing it and loving it. And then there is the aspect of faith -- which story really was true? Does even it matter, as the outcome is the same either way? The movie asks us that question - does it matter? At the end, Pi poses both stories. He notes that neither story can be proven, as no one really knows what happened. So in the end, it is only a matter of what we, the viewers, liked better. What the better story was. And really, that's what a story is - what we choose when there is no proof either way. This is where the movie connects with religion. Is it a proof God exists? Absolutely not. But it does point out something profound about religion - since we cannot prove either way whether God exists or not, the best thing we can do is choose which reality we prefer - a world with God, or a world without God. It tells us it is irrelevant what the truth is you can't prove it either way. This movie has the usual components of a great movie - great performances, stunning visuals, etcetera, but what it has, more than any other movie ever made, is an incredibly stunning and revealing story that makes you think. It is a relatively lighthearted, PG picture about a boy befriending a tiger. But that is what is only what is on screen. Dig deeper, and it is quite possibly a story about a boy who survives by eating off of the rotting carcass of a man he murdered. You decide. I have decided this is the best and most important film ever made.
½ April 23, 2017
'Life of Pi' is a visual effects masterpiece with the underlying message of the strength of spirituality is dependant on how capable a person is of seeing it in good or bad times.
½ April 16, 2017
Umm I didn't get the appeal with this film, I thought it was weird. I liked the story but I dunno, I wasn't really impressed
April 14, 2017
6/10 A nice fairy-tale with a twist. But, it seems a bit too much trouble for what it really delivers.
March 7, 2017
Visually, one of the best films I've ever seen. Analyzing everything that happens in the film is overwhelming, so it's worth numerous viewings. Extremely well done, I would recommend it for more intellectual viewers however.
March 6, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Technically, easthetically and visually, 'Life of Pi' is pretty damn breathtaking. That's thanks to some incredible technical innovation, some amazing cinematography, and some great performances to back it all up.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Once those novelties have worn off, you're not left with much substance. The beginning and end are emotionally satisfying for sure, but not switching off is more of a pain than it is a reward. Yes, I'm afraid you can only do so much with a tiger and a boy on a boat.
VERDICT: 'Life of Pi' may be beautiful on the outside, but inside it lacks emotional punch, thematic significance, or even a good story. Shame.
March 4, 2017
The cinematography is sick
February 20, 2017
Lee's beautiful craftsmanship makes The Life of Pi flow an effortless watch, despite its complex and surreal base material. Much has been made of the unfilmable premise, the raft of special effects needed, but at its heart is a simple survival tale told with originality, confidence and played with sincerity. CGI tigers and carnivorous islands make it all the more fun and eye catching, but Lee's emotional connection - the empathy of loss and the drive to survive - it's what really makes The Life of Pi a fulfilling and memorable journey.
½ February 13, 2017
One of my favourite films of all time.
February 12, 2017
Damn I wish it had been true.
February 11, 2017
"Life of Pi" is worth watching because it is very entertaining. Although the film simply wants to impress you with the as-low-the-sleeve that comes out at the end, the effects are incomparable and the story never bores you, since it manages to consolidate the attention of every person who watches it, being a drama that is thought-provoking and emotionally strong, resulting as a flawless experience of beautiful and ambitious cinematography. 81/100
½ January 31, 2017
A visual and technological masterpiece. Simply stunning. The story keeps you enthralled throughout and the ending provides an unexpected twist. You walk away from this movie thinking about it for days.
January 29, 2017
This is the story of Pi, a late teen from India, who is the only human survivor of a shipwreck of the Japanese vessel that was carrying his family and their zoo animals to Canada. The story is full of harrowing moments both during the storm that sinks the ship as well as after when Pi is joined on the lifeboat by an adult Bengal tiger and other animals. Fanciful and beautifully shot, this is now my favorite Ang Lee movie.
January 29, 2017
Life of pi is a really good movie, it's got good characters, a good story, and well made, and is perfect in 3D, 8/10
½ January 16, 2017
Ang Lee reaches an amazing visual and technical achievement. I had heard so much hype to this film so I was expecting amazing and was a little bit let down, but don't let that stop you because it is still a really good movie. It truly is a gorgeous movie with great characters like Richard Parker. It is an emotionally rewarding watch.
January 12, 2017
Touching story. Never been disappointed by Ang Lee.
January 4, 2017
Really good movie!! The S/FX were incredible and the story was well done.
½ December 30, 2016
While this movie offers awesome scenery, an original idea, and lots of epic moments, at times it can be preachy. The whole religion side to it brings back bad memories of religious propaganda movies. Also, the ending is ridiculous. The guy is too well adjusted and too cartoonish a caracter as an adult. Where did the fascinating teenage Pi go?