Life of Pi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life of Pi Reviews

September 22, 2017
Emotional and visually stunning.
September 3, 2017
There are some spectacular 3D scenes in this movie. But some average acting and unbelievable scenes combined to make this less inspiring than expected. AAN GGN 1001
August 21, 2017
6/10 A nice fairy-tale with a twist. But, it seems a bit too much trouble for what it really delivers.
August 19, 2017
Life of Pi is an interesting Movie and Ang Lee's Movie well deserves a *4.5" star rating.
August 14, 2017
This is an excellent film. It teaches one the value of respect, symbiosis, and what will kill you, is actually an ally to embrace and accept. There is great wisdom here and new friendships are born ! Furthermore, helping all living 'Kingdoms' to survive gives one great balance of sorrow and joy !
August 12, 2017
Long and whimsical adaptation of Yann Martel's 'unfilmable' novel about a young Indian man shipwrecked and trying to survive while marooned with a tiger, a jackal and a zebra. The virtues - especially in 3d - are the gorgeous production design and photography, and Mykael Danna's enveloping score. A few cuts would have benefited Ang Lee's lovely movie, but that's quibbling.
August 10, 2017
Wow that was powerful. An epic adventure which was hard to know see reality and fantasy. Some superb sequences and effects of the animals.
August 6, 2017
Having never read the book, I wasn't sure what expect from Life of Pi.
I have to say I really enjoyed it. The visuals are beautiful, and it is one of the rare times when 3D draws you in, instead of setting you apart from the experience. Its used subtly and not shoved in your face as often happens with 3D. Ang Lee creates a sensitive, moving film with a story carried along by a fantastical adventure. The product is a piece of art... to be viewed and appreciated however the audience sees fit.
It may inspire you, or maybe it will make you consider life, death and the power of faith. This is certainly a film that will stay with me.. and I know I shall be mulling it over for a while to come.
July 29, 2017
A bit slow moving, but interesting. Stunning visuals.
July 16, 2017
best movie ever and best book ever
July 9, 2017
Forever my favorite movie!
July 2, 2017
I saw this film was being broadcast and to be honest thought little of it. It had slipped my attention upon release in 2012 but on closer inspection I don't know why.
The film is based on the extraordinary story of an Indian Piscine (as in hissing)/Pi Patel who as an older man recounts the extraordinary story to a writer.
It starts in India with the early life of Pi who is mercilessly taunted at school for his name and its annotations to the mathematical Pythagoras connection.
Pi as a child has experiments with different religions in a comedic moment.
His parents own a zoo in botanical garden grounds and own some marvellous animals including a Benghal tiger called Richard Parker after a mix up with the Indian immigration documentation!
However one day Pi's parents decide to sell up and emigrate for a new life in Canada getting their via a Japanese steamship taking the animals with them. Richard Parker and all.
The ship sinks in a storm and Pi ends up alone on a lifeboat with some of the animals, a zebra, hyena I think and Richard Parker.
The castaways are at sea for what seems an eternity and even stop off on on a deserted island before finally being rescued 227 days later in Mexico (22/7=Pi) get it.
Featuring excellent use of CGI. I mean how else would a Benghal tiger be shown in a lifeboat?
I usually hate the practice of CGI and 3D films but on this occasion it is fully understandable and technicalkt brilliant.
The film won several Oscar awards including Best Director for Ang Lee on release. Fully deserved.
By the way the writer git one hell of a book story!
July 2, 2017
In the early stages the movie was a bit drab but as it went on I found it a really clever and engaging film to watch. Really surprised me
June 18, 2017
É a tragédia do cinema moderno. Um grande estresse sem nenhuma boa razão. A moral da história nunca chega, enquanto metáforas extensas do filme são tardiamente explicadas toda a minha paciência foi "pro saco".
June 9, 2017
"Life of Pi" is a powerful film and a visual masterpiece! A movie that can't be dismissed because there is too much in it !
½ May 3, 2017
A vibrant, engaging and visually stunning adaptation of Martel's supposedly unfilmable novel. Ang Lee has managed, not only to film it, but to give us a film as beautiful and accomplished work.
May 2, 2017
Such a boring movie let me take a nap!!
April 23, 2017
When this movie came out, it was lauded for its amazing special effects in creating a life-like CGI tiger. Unfortunately, it seems people were too hyped about the visual effects, and ignored what is, in my opinion, the greatest story ever told. It is the story of Pi, and the 227 days he spent stranded out at sea after the ship he was on sunk. More importantly, though, it's a story of faith, proof, perception, reality, the darkness of man, and religion. If you accept the second story to be true, it is a movie where you get to see the character interact with a much darker aspect of himself that he never new before, and how he at first violently rejects it out of fear, but ends up needing it and loving it. And then there is the aspect of faith -- which story really was true? Does even it matter, as the outcome is the same either way? The movie asks us that question - does it matter? At the end, Pi poses both stories. He notes that neither story can be proven, as no one really knows what happened. So in the end, it is only a matter of what we, the viewers, liked better. What the better story was. And really, that's what a story is - what we choose when there is no proof either way. This is where the movie connects with religion. Is it a proof God exists? Absolutely not. But it does point out something profound about religion - since we cannot prove either way whether God exists or not, the best thing we can do is choose which reality we prefer - a world with God, or a world without God. It tells us it is irrelevant what the truth is you can't prove it either way. This movie has the usual components of a great movie - great performances, stunning visuals, etcetera, but what it has, more than any other movie ever made, is an incredibly stunning and revealing story that makes you think. It is a relatively lighthearted, PG picture about a boy befriending a tiger. But that is what is only what is on screen. Dig deeper, and it is quite possibly a story about a boy who survives by eating off of the rotting carcass of a man he murdered. You decide. I have decided this is the best and most important film ever made.
½ April 23, 2017
'Life of Pi' is a visual effects masterpiece with the underlying message of the strength of spirituality is dependant on how capable a person is of seeing it in good or bad times.
½ April 16, 2017
Umm I didn't get the appeal with this film, I thought it was weird. I liked the story but I dunno, I wasn't really impressed