Life of the Party Reviews

• Apr 08, 2020

any movie with melissa mccarthy is awesome and this movie doesnt disappoint

any movie with melissa mccarthy is awesome and this movie doesnt disappoint

• Apr 01, 2020

Act one is rather dull but Melissa McCartney does a good job in it. It gets better the longer you watch it and there are a few good laughs to be found here and there.

• Mar 27, 2020

Melissa McCarthy delivers, once again, with a heart warming but also hilarious performance. More than once, I was laughing out loud, especially with Maya Rudolph added to the cast.

• Mar 25, 2020

It’s a good sit at home, eat popcorn, laugh and be grossly shocked movie! Don’t invite a dude to watch with you if he doesn’t know this and hasn’t accepted these possibilities.

• Mar 20, 2020

Repetitive long unfunny conversations. Movie full of boring cliches. Pass

Repetitive long unfunny conversations. Movie full of boring cliches. Pass

• Mar 01, 2020

Hilarious and heartwarming.

Hilarious and heartwarming.

• Jan 27, 2020

I know, I’m supposed to hate Life of the Party because it’s Melissa McCarthy hamming it up, and her husband Ben Falcone tends to go for the laziest jokes when he writes and directs. I just can’t help the fact that I sat there with my mother-in-law (who I figure is the target audience) and we laughed our butts off for almost the entire runtime. I’ll admit that many of the jokes are obvious, and some of them fall terribly flat, but it felt like there were enough good ones in between the bombs to keep it funny. The film is loaded with quirky characters, and I don’t mind that they fall into some broad stereotypes. I appreciated that the focus of the film was never on McCarthy’s weight, because those are always the jokes that I despise in her films. Fat jokes are the cheapest shot to take. Instead, she’s respected, and treated like a viable love interest. They also avoided delving too deep into the Mom-embarrasses-Daughter trope that felt like the easiest area of conflict for them to use. Instead the biggest “villain” is her ex-husband. In a lot of ways Life of the Party feels like a modern remake of Rodney Dangerfield’s movie Back to School. It’s not a bad formula to utilize, and I think they did a great job of showing how young people can like and respect an elder instead of always looking at them as a square or a loser. That’s just one of many ways that I found the plot of this film surprisingly well done. There were multiple times I expected it to go one way, but instead the story headed in the opposite direction. Of course, there were still some highly predictable elements as well. You could see the big resolution at the end coming long before it arrived, but by that point I had bought into the movie, and didn’t mind the cliched conclusion. There are also some big logical mistakes that were totally ludicrous, like the student who hadn’t declared a major showing up in a highly-advanced Archaeology class. I figured those are the kind of stupid things you have to forgive in a goofy movie like this one. I’m perfectly willing to admit that Life of the Party is kind of stupid and definitely irreverent, but it was the right kind of stupid to work for me.

• Jan 26, 2020

Can be a bit cheesy at times and a not so good direction, but this movie is hilarious.

• Jan 21, 2020

A typical movie nothing new from it.

A typical movie nothing new from it.

• Jan 20, 2020

This fits right in line with all the other Melissa McCarthy movies. You’ll laugh, but won’t remember the movie much after you’ve seen it. And if you’re looking for similarities to Rodney Dangerfield’s “Back to School”, you won’t find it. They said it was a “Back to School” remake but I just can’t tell. Just because she went back to school doesn’t make it a remake.