Light of Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Light of Day Reviews

October 28, 2016
the actors saved the movie, the writer/director was absolutely useless and needs to find another profession.
July 31, 2016
A rare film, apparently and one that showed us all what Michael J Fox could do. Joan Jett though deserves a mention too for one of her rare movie appearances and for providing the soundtrack.
June 19, 2016
Siblings try to save their struggling band in this lame teen musical drama.
½ February 28, 2016
Despite the talents of Michael J Fox and Joan Jett, Paul Schrader succeeded in making a horrible movie.
½ February 7, 2016
Not your typical Michael J Fox role. Here he plays a guitar player in a local bar band with his sister (Runaways' Joan Jett) who separate over the care of his nephew. Given the time period, I would have recommended a more heavy metal slant for the band to make it big.
August 29, 2015
Paul Schrader's film about a a Cleveland bar band doesn't get the director's own praise. He's more interested in films like Mishima than showing the truth of rust belt life. The film itself is workman like, no frills shooting. Straight forward and rusty. J. Michael Fox plays Joe, the enabler of his talent sister Patti, members of a bad called the barristers. Clearly the bad will only play bars, given the disparity of ages and talents. Patti aches to be a real rocker and her energy smokes through this film. Why Joan Jett didn't do more films, I'll never know. The Rasnick family is dysfunctional: Gena Rowlands plays a mother in denial of what happened to her family but narcotizing herself with religion, while Jason Miller plays a disinterested and silent father. Patti has a child by an unknown father, who when revealed clears up some her rage. A lot of critics missed the point of this film, which is the conflict of art with life, and a dismal hopeless life it is. The heart of his film is when Patti declares "I want to live my life by an idea," meaning she is an artist, which non of her bandmates or family are. I'm surprised, no not surprised that critics missed what she was saying and why. Not a world historical masterpiece, but a lost film, and one worth seeing.
½ April 8, 2015
Really enjoyed this family drama and Jett is every bit as good as Fox.
March 21, 2015
amily strife and band struggles against the backdrop of working class Cleveland. Another interesting piece from Director Paul Schrader with Joan Jett more than holding her own. Worth checking out, Bruce Springsteen wrote the title track which Jett performs as part of their sets.
½ January 13, 2015
Most of the characters are quite flawed individuals, but they create an interesting dynamic with one another. Having Joan Jett and some hard rock was also pretty cool.
May 5, 2012
see it back in the day! joan jett \m/
½ April 29, 2011
Joan Jett & Michael J Fox play brother and sister in a struggling rock band... and, er, then it gets really depressing. Trent Reznor is in here too somewhere.
March 25, 2011
Not a great movie but I do love Joan Jett.
February 9, 2011
Classic 80's rock n' roll with a strong supporting performance from Joan Jett, who shows some very real and very surprising acting talent. Fox is good, and Rowlands milks the melodrama for all it's worth. Only one scene feels really off, and that'd be when Rowlands and Jett reconcile right before Rowlands kicks the bucket. It feels incredibly cliche, forced and awkward. It doesn't ruin the film though, and Jason Miller comes in during the next scene and shows both Jett and Rowlands up with a heart wrenching moment that comes as another stunning surprise. All that, plus some fun music and a title song written by Bruce Springsteen makes Light of Day a really rewarding watch. Now if they could just secure the rights for a blu-ray release.
January 29, 2011
A fantastic drama with a great cast and a realistic story. One of my favourite drama films of the decade. Plus it's interesting to see Joan Jett in a movie. I highly recommend it.
January 21, 2011
sounds like a weird combination- Michael J Fox, Joan Jett and... Paul Schrader?
December 29, 2010
I find it perfect...not only for JoaN jett's presence.I love her so much...I think I can relate to the story.I am also rebellious and my mother hates me for being such :(
½ November 8, 2010
I have just seen this on U Tube. The ending to this movie is sad. I didn't know that they filmed this in Cleveland, Ohio and other parts of the Midwest. I didn't know that Michael wanted to do this movie to not be type casted as the slacker that he is known from Back to the Future Trilogy.
August 24, 2010
Michael J. Fox in his first dramatic performance with Joan Jett at his side. It's a perfect companion piece to The Runaways, which is now out on DVD.
August 24, 2010
May 2, 2010
FUN! 80'S! Joan Jett singing kind of crappy songs! The petite and oh so sweet, Michael J. Fox. They're brother and sister in a bad Cleveland band trying to make it big. At one point, you'll see the Metro in all it's 80's glory! There's action, drama, death, sex and bad dialogue! Go for it. You won't regret it.