The Lighthorsemen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lighthorsemen Reviews

½ June 7, 2014
Well-told, little-known story of the last successful cavalry charge in history.
April 26, 2014
A stirring well shot Australian Film about Australia's finest hour The Lighthorsemen.

This films focuses on the Aussies that where involved with this war & what they went through physically & mentally. This film also shows their shenanigans also...

It's no surprise this film is building to the final attack on the Turks at Gaza & that is shot so well & tightly. Other than a slow middle this film is enjoyable & a strong Australian film.
April 25, 2013
Brilliant Aussie movie of a true story. Must watch!
April 6, 2013
The true story of the liberation of Beersheba by 800 Australian Lighthorsemen during World War 1 should have amounted to a 5 star movie. The cinamatography is breathtaking and the plot builds to a fantastic climactic scene complemented beautifully by Mario Millo's original soundtrack BUT the movie is hamstrung by an inferior screenplay that overemphasizes the ocker image of Australians rather than portraying us as we really are.
July 2, 2011
With some literary licence, this is a true story of how the Austrailians, under the British, fooled Turkish commanders/advised by Germans and captured Beersheba and it's wells
March 31, 2010
This is one of the greatest world war 1 films every made, the only others being The Lost Battalion and Beneath Hill 60.
March 29, 2010
One of the best Australian war films ever made. Good acting, terrific set pieces and very honoring of the history. Great cinematography and a terrific original score by Mario Millo. Great watch for First World War enthusiasts.
January 26, 2010
Dave and Anna ended up getting married in the end... Dave did'nt kill anyone as he freezed up a few time...he choose to not too have a gun.....He did'nt want to kill a person or person in the back...
½ December 1, 2009
THE LIGHTHORSEMEN is pretty good. Make a day of it and watch GALLIPOLI, THE LIGHTHORSEMEN and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA for a different slant on WWI. I think the budget left a lot of big battle scenes missing, but it works without them. Surprisingly, according to the film, none of the horses were harmed during the course of the movie. That's mindblowing considering some of the stuff they do.
September 11, 2009
One of my favourite Australian movies which I would recommend highly. The end when they charge on their horses is teary stuff.
September 21, 2008
Fantastic Australian movie
½ February 14, 2008
This movie shows that you can put history on screen without making a documentary.
December 9, 2007
There is a rare maturity about this film that is difficult to convey. It is not self-glorifying, nor does it appear to have been made for the pleasure of the audience alone. I got the feeling that this film was born of a love for the history of the men portrayed. The plot is simple and engaging. The personality of each character shows humanity. The absence of any one individual "hero" is noteworthy. An excellent insight into the Australian contribution to the history of Palestine between 1915 and 1918. (Just for the sake of some interesting trivia- did you know that in total Australia sent 14 Regiments (5 Brigades) of ALH to Palestine, and one to France?)
December 8, 2007
This is one of those movies that you never forget.
½ December 6, 2007
It's a good movie in many aspects, although the characters are not developed enough. THe most shocking part? LEarning afterwards what happened to the actor that played Scotie. Look for "Jon Blake" in wikipedia.
½ November 6, 2007
One of my all time favourite movies, combining my love of horses with that of Aussie Military history.
October 18, 2007
Brilliant - the last cavalry charge ever. Great commaradarie, team spirit and acting. One of the few of the few worthy Australian films. Highly Recommended.
½ September 15, 2007
A beautiful filmed First World War movie about the Australia Lighthorse in Palestine. A great Aussie movie which unfortunately could not garner enough funding here at home and overseas funding was sought. Nonetheless it captures the Australian Light Horse Regiments finest hour on horse back!
August 30, 2007
Another movie that needs to be released in the USA... AGAIN!
July 19, 2007
My favorite WWI era film. A great Aussie movie! The horse charge scene at the end is woth it alone!