Little Miss Sunshine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Miss Sunshine Reviews

April 22, 2017
At around the halfway mark I became really disappointed in "Little Miss Sunshine," because it becomes stupid for maybe ten minutes. There's something the central characters decide to do that's completely out of nowhere, and doesn't fit the almost-ultra realistic tone of the rest of the film.

But, after I got over the ridiculousness of this one part of the film, I was able to return to concentrating on everything else. And I liked almost everything else. The cinematography is beautiful in a broken sort of way, the atmosphere is perfectly decided, and (above all else) the cast is phenomenal. The adults of the film are as great as they always are in everything they're in. And Abigail Breslin, who I don't think I've seen in anything else before, is absolutely an insane talent. She's real and she's funny, and she's√Ę?? so far beyond her years I have a hard time believing it. Or, I guess she WAS all those things. It's been ten years since this movie came out, things might have changed.

And while I'm mentioning the cast, I really want to draw my focus to Paul Dano's performance. I've only started to really notice him in movies recently, and I'm surprised it's taken me this long. He's always fantastic, and I think he's outdone himself here. What could have been just another angsty teen character became so much more than that.

If it weren't for the stellar performances, I don't think I would've liked "Little Miss Sunshine" at all. Some of the jokes made me chuckle, but there were just so many clich√¬ (C)s, and that stupid ten minutes, I mentioned earlier, really is very stupid. But, again, the performances were very, VERY good, and that saved the film...

Actually, that pagent scene also majorly contributed to saving the film for me. Most indie dramedies have that whole "the dysfunctional family is gonna be happily dysfunctional together" moment, but this one was especially funny...

Also Steve Carell should have more awards.
½ March 27, 2017
It takes a lot of talent from the actors, directors and writers to make a movie where the family is just as irritable and lovable as a real family.
March 16, 2017
Proof that even dysfunctional families can be fun!
½ February 25, 2017
Strong cast, cute story line and just a nip of dark comedy. Loved it!
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 20, 2017
This was such a fantastic film. I thought the acting was absolutely phenomenal all around. It was outlandish, and yet still very realistic in terms of the struggles and dealings that occur in an ordinary family. It shows that "stuff happens" but as a family, as a team, you have to get up and keep going. Most importantly, you have to stick together. Definitely worth seeing.
January 14, 2017
Need to rewatch, can't remember it.
December 26, 2016
A pretentious piece of shit you could literally play bingo to with its hamfisted attempts to be edgy and deep. Good soundtrack, though.
½ November 27, 2016
Everything up until the last scene is comedic and dramatic gold. Unfortunately, the ending and it's many unresolved plot lines leaves Little Miss Sunshine a frustrating experience.
½ October 23, 2016
Quirky, sweet and charming.
½ October 10, 2016
This isn't your average comedy. This is a comedy in the same sense that Wes Anderson's early movies were "comedies." In truth, this is a family drama with dark humor thrown in, and it does it very well. It's not perfect, but it's a very emotional and heartwarming experience overall. Definitely recommend.
½ September 28, 2016
A really engaging feel-good comedy about the on-the-road adventures (and
misadventures) of an ordinary (or maybe not) family.
The cast don't deliver amazing performances as in this movie is the fast and twisty screenplay that does most part of the job.
And it's more than enough.
½ September 17, 2016
Odd and unique at the same time , great independent film. A must see. I give it a 91%
September 13, 2016
Lovely and very likeable. Glad I gave it a second viewing. Grandpa rocks!
September 13, 2016
Amusing and entertaining but predictable.
August 13, 2016
It's a more dramatic version of National Lampoon's Vaction, mostly beat for beat at some points.
½ July 26, 2016
Not everything goes smoothly in life
½ July 25, 2016
Underwhelming : would have liked to have seen some disgust or revulsion at the neo-paedophilia beauty pageant, but clearly these revolting events are considered perfectly acceptable in the USA, so instead the film-maker focused solely on the little fat girl not being up to the task ; a wasted opportunity. Some mildly humorous bits but that came to an end when they killed off the only funny character half-way through. The running gag of the rubbish camper van was simply irritating. Worth a look, but only once.
½ July 13, 2016
Darkly funny, and quite moving.