Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Reviews

• May 25, 2019

Little convoluted at times but definitely a good watch.

Little convoluted at times but definitely a good watch.

• Apr 19, 2019

Smug and cheesy cockney gangster flick is still extremely good fun to watch.

Smug and cheesy cockney gangster flick is still extremely good fun to watch.

• Apr 07, 2019

Take "Trainspotting" mix it with "Smoking Aces" and you've got "Lock, Stock and Two Barrels. Trainspotting was funny because the characters were likable nitwit drag addicts who made the big score in the end. It didn't confuse us with too many criminals and characters like this movie. "Smoking Aces" made the same mistake: Too many characters and not enough film time to make us care who won in the end. This movie left me with the feeling that it really could have been another Trainspotting if it didn't try so hard to be clever. It's a good film, that could have been great with fewer characters and much, much more of a cohesive script. A script that made us root much more for the underdogs, instead of struggling to keep track of who was ripping off who...

• Mar 11, 2019

I have watch this film so many times if it were a VHS I would have worn it out!

I have watch this film so many times if it were a VHS I would have worn it out!

• Feb 27, 2019

Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrles: Guy Richie’s debut is matched with impressive camerawork and simple, but complex(told) narratives, along with humor and characters, but can’t but help feel weaker than his superior second film, Snatch.

• Jan 18, 2019

British gangsters follow twisted events, unfurling with comedic blunders.

British gangsters follow twisted events, unfurling with comedic blunders.

• Dec 18, 2018

Fun heist/crime flick.

Fun heist/crime flick.

• Sep 11, 2018

I have not seen a bad Guy Ritchie movie yet! This one is awesome!

I have not seen a bad Guy Ritchie movie yet! This one is awesome!

• Aug 30, 2018

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of those movies that will require more than one viewing for me. Luckily, I got enough enjoyment out of it that I’ll be willing to watch it again. After this initial time through, I have to admit I was flummoxed. I think in the last few scenes the story finally came together for me, but until that time it was tough to follow. There are so many characters, and so many stories going on at the same time. They try to keep you up to speed with some voice-over on occasion, but that didn’t do much for me. Each time we’d go to a new location and see another group of thugs I was confused. Perhaps the most disorienting was when we were suddenly in the house where they grew pot, because I kept trying to figure out what these guys had to do with anything else I had watched up to that point. It’s almost like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels would have made more sense if played in reverse. That way you’d start with the convergence of all the stories, and end with them isolated. That’s why I think the second time I watch the movie all the pieces will fall into place for me, because now I know how everything will connect. I’m still debating if this is a flaw in the story-telling, or if it’s a smart script and I just didn’t have the mental wherewithal to take it in the first time. I’m a bit undecided on how I feel about the washed out gritty visuals of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I can see that Guy Ritchie was going for a particular style, but it didn’t add much to the movie for me, and made all the locations look similar. I loved the cast, though, and their banter was good for a few laughs. It’s not a movie that I fell in love with, but when I watch it again it could grow on me much more.

• Jul 07, 2018

a great british comedy. one of the best works of guy ritchie.

a great british comedy. one of the best works of guy ritchie.