The Loss of Sexual Innocence Reviews

• Oct 24, 2011

Probably the best way to sum up my feelings about this film - if you have to go online to find out what the film was about, it's not very good. It chronicles the life of the director Mike Figgis as he grows up and loses his innocence in the form of sexual encounters and anecdotes. It's not told in chronological order - the film jumps around with little to no warning and you find yourself wondering who this new character is or if it's the same person that was on screen a second ago. There's nothing wrong with a non-linear story line, but this is just too jumpy. And each shot goes on forever. Faces are on screen staring at something for 15 seconds before moving on. One thing I did like was Figgis' comparison between his own loss of innocence and that of Adam and Eve. It makes the film relatable and reminds us that we all have that same loss at some point in our lives. But other than that I just couldn't stomach this film. Give this one a miss.

• Jul 31, 2011

At times pretentious, moronic and hard to care about what's going on on screen. At other times, the camerawork and score combine to create something mesmerizing and immersive. But on the whole hand, it's more pretentious and snobbish than mesmerizing and immersive.

• May 20, 2011

This movie deserves better attention. Good job, in fact very very good.

This movie deserves better attention. Good job, in fact very very good.

• Apr 26, 2010

The material is... indulgent. The film is ambitious, but somehow incomplete.

The material is... indulgent. The film is ambitious, but somehow incomplete.

• Dean M Super Reviewer
    Aug 21, 2009

This plot-free film plays like a stream of dreams. The downside is that it also feels like a film-school experiment driven by Calvin Klein ad aesthetics. The core story is about a filmmaker who has lost much more than the film's provocative title suggests. Scenes in which a curious child evolves to a jaded adult are also intercut with a modern version of Adam and Eve in which a black man and white woman emerge from a small lake. There's enough philosophical and cinematic doodling here for several films.

• Feb 01, 2009

its obvious that i have issues with the director. i hated this film even if they had some good shots

• Jan 20, 2009

More of an artistic expression than a movie due to it's non-linear storyline and lack of a real plot. And, while this may not be for everyone, I found it to be a fine example of filmmaking. Rife with symbolism and a beautiful classical score, I would recommend this to film purists.

• Dec 04, 2008

Abstract, very abstract & quite disjointed. Like a collaboration consisted off a few short films linking here & there instead off a proper feature film. A very limited use off dialogue whilst the remaining had been toned down & overwhelmed by sight & sound (music). Some beautiful visual in the Eden's part. There were some nice parts including the segment [The Twins] & the platform scene. But just pretentious overall.

• Nov 03, 2008

oww..naked ppl runnning around in the dessert and carrying big snake..errmmm..).Erotic yes, Boring yes.

• Oct 28, 2008

This movie is confounding on multiple levels. First, at face vaule, the movie is artsy and disjointed. Secondly, from a production stand point, this follows director Mike Figgis' Oscar winning "Leaving Las Vegas". How he follows that Academy Award winning film with this I'll never know. This project feels like a C- effort from a struggling film student. But at least you get to witness the "Adam and Eve" characters discover how to urinate! Perhaps a follow-up viewing is necessary to understand the connections being made, but the first viewing does not inspire one to return.