Love in the Afternoon Reviews

• Sep 29, 2019

This mightve been ok if there wasnt a lady beating her dog every 15 minutes which was not only cruel but a sick way to try to get a laugh.

• Apr 09, 2019

Nearly everything about Love in the Afternoon points to a movie I should adore. Audrey Hepburn is an amazing actress who I love to watch on screen. She is simply marvelous as this innocent young girl who is also cunning and knows how to win over a man’s heart. Her scheming and conniving is presented in such a sweet way that the audience should fall in love with her, and be rooting for her to succeed. Maurice Chevalier is perfect as her French father who works as a detective, and tries to shield his beloved daughter from the ugly side of his work. The story is a beautiful romance that should hold me right up until the final frames waiting to see whether I can cry in happiness or sorrow. Even though a romance in Paris could be cliché, the setting is gorgeous so it is cliché for a reason, because it sets the perfect mood. The plot even has a decent amount of humor that should elevate this to being a favorite that I’d want to watch many times. So, the question is, why do I keep saying “should”? Love in the Afternoon goes down in my books as the new #1 contender for a movie that was ruined by a single casting decision. Gary Cooper was not only the wrong choice for this movie, he completely ruins it. For one thing, he looks so old that I cringed every time I was supposed to see him and Hepburn in any romantic way. He doesn’t just look old next to Hepburn, he looks old next to Maurice Chevalier. It’s like watching a girl falling for her grandpa. That’s bad enough, but the other problem is that Gary Cooper is a black hole of charisma, and he’s playing a character who is supposed to be an irresistible ladies’ man. Also, he seems incapable of emoting, and he’s thrown into a film that is all about his character experiencing emotions. No matter how much Hepburn is doing to save a scene, it falls flat when she’s acting against a block of wood in the shape of a man. I wish I could live in the parallel universe where Love in the Afternoon starred Cary Grant, Clark Gable, or even Gregory Peck. Because I’m stuck in this version of reality, I was more annoyed and creeped out by this film rather than entertained, which is a shame because it had so much going for it.

• Feb 10, 2019

Billy Wilder nunca tiene pierde.

Billy Wilder nunca tiene pierde.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Feb 18, 2018

Sweet and enjoyable movie with many wonderfully orchestrated scenes, like the one where the main hero gets drunk being jealous on the part of the alleged love affairs of Ariane. And the ending scene is remarkably superb, one of the best acted sequences, it was quite a surprising segue from a comedic situation to a tear-jerking moment.

• Jun 26, 2017

Besides Gary Cooper not being a romantic lead-type, the age difference is completely implausible. Rubbish

• Jan 12, 2016

Young Ms. Hepburn was easily half the age of either of her costars, yet she trades quips & glances with them both as if she were the more experienced film star. Chevalier is perfectly cast, and Cooper is definitely old enough to be the "experienced cad". For those who think he was too old, remember Sammy Davis Jr, Tony Randall, Jack Nicholson, Elon Musk are among the wealthy that courted much younger wives.

• May 22, 2015

What a grand disappointment! This has all the makings of something that should be superb. Hepburn, Wilder, Cooper, Chevalier, etc. Instead it is brought down by its lengthy run time, the dreadful miscasting of Cooper, and the lack of Wilder's typical writing verve.

• Dec 30, 2014

the most classic, funny, romantic and elegant, Audery Hepburn is my queen, wish I lived back in her time

• Aug 03, 2014

You try to be here at 4 o'clock and I'll try to be good. A private detective raising his daughter on his own has been hired to entrap a rich playboy with sleeping with another man's wife. The playboy has no ambitions towards the wife and has actually fallen in love with the detective's much younger daughter. The daughter initially has no desire to receive the playboy's advances; but over time, she may come to appreciate them. The detective will have to sort out this love triangle and decide what he makes of it. "We don't want little boys, in short pants, involved in situations like this." Billy Wilder, director of Sabrina; Some Like It Hot; The Apartment; Sunset Blvd; Double Indemnity; Kiss Me, Stupid; Stalag 17; Witness for the Prosecution; and A Foreign Affair delivers Love in the Afternoon. The storyline for this picture is fairly light, funny, and fun to watch unfold. The dialogue is very good and the acting is wonderful. The cast includes Audrey Hepburn, Gary Cooper, Maurice Chevalier, John McGiver, and Van Doude. "Eighty percent of women who sleep on their stomach are secretly in love." I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it was a rare Audrey Hepburn movie I had never seen. This isn't one of her better films, as she definitely has some all time classics, but this is fun, light hearted, and an interesting story to watch unfold. Overall, this is definitely a worthwhile classic film that isn't one of Hepburn's top 3 pictures but still worth a viewing. "I have decided that you're not the type of man I'd like to see again." Grade: B-/B