Love Songs Reviews

• Oct 18, 2019

Ok, so this is another Louis Garrel film where he finds himself in a ménage a trois, nothing new for a fan of his work, like me. I expected a lot from this film, it was a musical, it had a threesome and it had a gay plot twist. It should've been my favorite film at least for a decade. But this movie has a lot that I simply cannot let go. Ismael's girlfriend has one of the dumbest deaths I've ever seen on a film, like for real. Besides his ménage a trois wasn't a real one, cause it seemed to me that Alice was constantly fighting with Ismael for Jules' attention. The only time I really thought they could work out somehow as a couple was when they were singing "Il faut se taire" which was like three minutes I think. So one thing leads to the other and Voilá!, this random guy that is madly in love with Ismael keeps waiting for him after work and even though he has clearly said to him to stop doing that, they always end up having sex, that same day, yeah... that same exact day where this guy was rejected by Ismael. I say this guy because I don't remember his name and believe you don't have to remember it either cause the film doesn't show anything important about this guy other than he is love with Ismael. Like for real, he has zero personality. Ok, so at the end and after battling with his sexuality for just one day, Ismael ends up singing a song with the random guy that apparently should be a sign of closure enough to make us believe that he has finally gotten over his dead girlfriend and that he is happily gay now. At the end, I still have the sensation that Ismael is only with him out of pity or because he really needed a rebound, which should make me feel bad about the random guy but again his only goal in the movie was being with Ismael, like literally we see that he goes to college and all of that but we don't even know what is his career, his only purpose in the film is being in love with Ismael and chasing him around everywhere, which was pretty creepy but he kept doing it and it wasn't romantic at all, it was just kind of rude. But well anyway, the soundtrack is pretty dope though

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jul 26, 2016

The songs are mostly nice (when the lyrics are not so irritatingly pretentious), but the film seems to wander around without a clear sense of purpose, conviction and focus, while also being way too bleak and downbeat for its own good with its blueish, monotonous visuals.

• May 12, 2015

Veers from romantic to sad to morbid, but still beautiful and obviously a tribute to Demy.

• Dec 15, 2014

This movie captures the essence of Paris with a so realistic grey photography of the winter season, a convicing cast, a surprising story and love songs.

• Oct 24, 2013

Sympathique, triste, romantique, melancholique avec Paris en arriere plan, ce film est une belle suprise.

• Sep 19, 2013

"Ámame menos, pero ámame más tiempo" De una a la antología de frases de película...

• May 20, 2013

Hablando de tolerancia y diversidad...

Hablando de tolerancia y diversidad...

• Mar 12, 2013

There are a lot of reasons to see this movie. I'm only listing a few. 1. Beautiful cinematography Like director Christophe Honore's other films, the imagery of a cold, elegant and modern Paris plays wonderfully against his heated, passionate characters. I would rewatch this movie just for the scenes of perfectly captured muted Belleville and sparkling nightly Bastille. 2. Louis Garrel This man seems to play himself in all of Honore's films but that is not to say that he isn't entertaining. On the contrary, I love watching this actor weave in among the others on screen. He manages to obtain perfect chemistry with every woman- or man- he is thrown together with. And come on- when was the last time an actor has been able to get tall, dark, and brooding right? 3. Music This is a very lyrical film- hardly a scene goes by without some sort of singing or movement. However, it does not read like a musical. Instead of contrived singing portions sliced through bits of dialogue and scenario, the musical elements gently play in with the softness of the drama and add incredible depth to the inner thoughts of the characters. Overall, if you are an Honore fan, Nouvelle Vague fan, or just want to see some legitimate 'amour', go on and watch this movie.

• Jan 19, 2013

Un grand film avec une superbe Bande-Annonce .... et la magnifique interprétation de Chiara Mastroianni

• Dec 05, 2012

After the almost unbearable first part(the departure) it follows the story & its characters in a more convincing & engaging way but not enough to save the entire thing from the abyss