Mad Cowgirl Reviews

Sylvester K Super Reviewer
    Nov 14, 2016

Pleasantly surprised by this zany underground film about the downward spiral of a meat packer suffering from mad cow disease. It took influence from Hong Kong cinema with some erotic thriller and a touch of religion. It's hard to describe the film but it is a must watch for people interesting in cult films.

• Dec 28, 2010

This movie had all the makings of a classic midnight trash fest. Unfortunately, the director was making a completely different movie. Pretentious and unwatchable

• Dec 01, 2010

Four stars for bringing, and keeping, the weird. Epic, in its own right. Sarah Lassez is a truly magical character.

• Feb 06, 2010

What the hell did I just watch? This is one of those movies that made for a better trailer than an actual film. I'm disappointed. I was so excited to see this film because it looked so different. It was just an hour and a half of messy writing and boring situations. Can someone tell me why every single person in this film had a different accent? And the music goes from japanese to spanish to rap to you don't know what. How many languages are they speaking in this movie? I never felt so lost in a film as I did in Mad Cowgirl. This could have been a cool movie if it didn't seem like the director was rushing through it. Oh, and there's a part where Koenig is preaching on TV, you can see a blue outline around him from the green screen. Come on! How did this get distribution? I'm all about low-budget and indy film making but I was more confused than I was entertained. I gave it one star because the address of Walter Koenig's church was "665". That got a chuckle out of me but that's it.

• Feb 03, 2010

MESSED UP!!! Think of any taboo you can come up with, and it's probably been covered here. This script is INSANE. Some fairly wooden acting is overcome by very interesting direction and a cute/likable lead. Watch at your own risk. Or make it a drinking game for every moment that one of the 7 deadly sins is violated. Your call.

• Aug 10, 2009

Yeah, so this film is ca-ray-zy! We're talking Brad Dourif in The Exorcist 3 crazy. That's a high level of crazy right there. This is a real throwback to the Exploitation and Martial Arts films of the '70s. There's even a Flying Guillotine sighting.. Now, this isn't a gore fest. So if that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed. Like I am every time I see a movie with Kate Beckinsale where she doesn't get naked. There's quite a bit of blood, but that doesn't come until the final reel. So, in closing. This film is a definite recommendation, especially if you miss the good 'ole Grind-house days. Plus, how many other films do you get to see a preacher's "O" face.

• Patrick D Super Reviewer
    Feb 11, 2009

Strange, confusing, disturbing. But you gotta hand it to the director, he creating a low budget but very watchable film. Oh, and what's needed in films these days: originality. It's low budget, but understandably so, as it is something you won't see out of "Hollywood", which is why we should have actual independent films. Anyway, it's done with competence and although I was confused and disturbed, I still enjoyed and appreciated it.

• Nov 07, 2008

I was really interested in this movie when I read about it. It sounded surreal and daring. Now I know better. While it was very entertaining in spots, I just felt the movie missed it's own point. A health inspector who already has some problems, is possibly infected with mad cow disease by her more than creepy brother. I did like some of the parts where you weren't sure if she is imagining these things or if she is messed up by the mad cow or if she has always been messed up and now taking it out on everyone. She also goes on a little kung fu "Kill Bill" death spree. Sarah Lassez actually gives a great performance. She reminded me of Holly Hunter at times actually. Although this movie did have the creepiest thing I have ever seen in a movie: a girl pleasuring herself to Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek) on TV. That and when he went down on her have got to be worse than "Faces of Death" ever will be.

• Sep 11, 2008

This makes no sense...

This makes no sense...

• Sep 10, 2008

If you like your movies to not make any sense and to be filled with dreadful indie film cliches, then by all means see this movie. On the plus side, if you have seen the movie Machine Girl, there is 1 part of this movie that will make you chuckle.