Magnolia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magnolia Reviews

November 20, 2018
Enthralling multi layered complex drama with magnificent direction and acting. Visually brilliant, emotionally and symbolically great study of guilt, redemption, the impact of fathers on their offspring and other deep themes. Genius.
October 30, 2018
Long pointless movie don't waste your time
October 18, 2018
an amazing screenplay, Written and directed by one hell of a gifted director. The many intertwining stories are riveting and so is this ensemble that contains some of our best actors. All of the performances are top notch and the film is breathtaking, daring. A completely original film, Raining frogs and all. LOVELOVLOVE this film! This film sends me to film fanatic's heaven. PURE BLISS!!!
October 10, 2018
PT Anderson was barely 30 when he made Magnolia which pretty much sums up his talent and incredible story-telling prowess. Featuring a top notch cast and an inspiration lifted from Robert Altman's many movies (especially perhaps shortcuts) Magnolia is an art film masquerading as a mainstream feature courtesy Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, William H Macy and a few others. This is a must watch for any cinema lover.
½ September 29, 2018
Magnolia is an epic ensemble drama film consisting of so many names you'd have to take out your notepad. All the stories are intertwined, and the only constant is the San Fernando Valley. The camerawork is excellent, and a long take taken at a game show setup is a highlight. Magnolia is deeply layered, and many writers and film students have written about their perspective on the film. It is astonishing that a young man of less than 30 could write and direct such an in-depth film but hey- that's PT Anderson for you.(One of the finest uses of ensemble casting and multiple storylines).
September 25, 2018
PT Anderson's Magnolia is a fantastic piece of filmmaking. Featuring a top notch cast and an inspiration directly lifted from Robert Altman's many movies (especially perhaps shortcuts) Magnolia is an art film masquerading as a mainstream feature courtesy Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, William H Macy and a few others. Clocking in at over 2 and a half hours though it can be tough to sit through. This is a must watch for any cinema lover.
September 15, 2018
Anderson's third feature showed him throwing everything he had at creating an Altman-esque drama bursting at the seams. Covering topics like child abuse, forgiveness, redemption, judgement, and love; Anderson shot for the stars and only narrowly missed.
August 27, 2018
A massive mess of three long hours.
½ August 23, 2018
How on earth there is a space for sympathetic characters, terrific performances, coherent drama, comedy, miraculously connected storylines, logical sense in such a bizarre lengthy mess of a movie?

Wait a second! .... am I not describing humans and their lives?

Blending realism with surrealism, Magnolia is one of Paul Thomas Anderson's works and ,definitely, his most ambitious one.

Every story is as rich and intriguing as their characters. Stories that are harmoniously told, and embellished with Aimee Mann's heavenly soundtrack. The result is a three-hour epic mosaic devoid of any moment of boredom.

I think Donnie Smith's story, William H. Macy's character, is the most profound and the richest one. Nevertheless, it's also the most poorly told one, comparing it to the others. It could have been explored more. I wish I was as invested in it as I respected it after it ended.

Also, the movie could have been less on exposition in terms of characters a little bit more. Because I think what I've seen from the fantastic acting and the masterful use of symbolism are more than enough to make everything clear.

That being said, these issues are almost indiscernible, and it was difficult for me to notice them.

Magnolia is not my favorite PTA film, but hands down it's the most entertaining one despite its long runtime.

(9/10)
August 22, 2018
Magnolia is a fantastic ensemble film by wunderkind Paul Thomas Anderson. Featuring a host of actors- all somehow interconnected in the vast brawl of Los Angeles . Featuring a top notch cast and an inspiration directly lifted from Robert Altman's many movies (especially perhaps shortcuts) Magnolia is an art film masquerading as a mainstream feature courtesy Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, William H Macy and a few others. This is a must watch for any cinema lover.
August 18, 2018
August 6, 2018
Featuring a bevy of great performances and providing ponderous motifs throughout, Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia is a unique, effective drama that serves as one of the director's very best.
½ July 27, 2018
A complex set of stories that tie together seamlessly with plenty of characters, all of whom we grow to care for.
½ July 25, 2018
Wunderkind Paul Thomas Anderson is today considered an auteur legend but back in 1999 he was the kid everyone kept an eye on- and boy did he deliver with Magnolia. This is an epic ensemble drama film consisting of so many names you'd have to take out your notepad. All the stories are intertwined, and the only constant is the San Fernando Valley. The camerawork is excellent, and a long take taken at a game show setup is a highlight. Magnolia is deeply layered, and many writers and film students have written about their perspective on the film. It is astonishing that a young man of less than 30 could write and direct such an in-depth film.
July 5, 2018
June 18, 2018
Cinematic perfection
May 31, 2018
A creatively strange interconnected story.

Magnolia is Paul Thomas Anderson's first big movie that is as wild as it is weird. It is a quick cut, but long and slow narrative between around 10 major characters' lives. I wish it were shorter and more fast paced, but alas Anderson fails to cut down his films to a more manageable size. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Magnolia. Its unique shots, story twists, and excellent writing keep it in check.

Beautiful music and heartfelt writing collide as the intertwined lives of these various figures in society mesh for the most original film I have seen in a long time. There is no other film quite like Magnolia. It is like the intense crescendo of harrowing events like Requiem for a Dream with the scattered perspective narrative of Pulp Fiction. It even has moments of the surreal comedy like the Coen Brothers' The Big Lebowski or Fargo.

Notably, Magnolia features incredibly moving acting. Tom Cruise gives one of his most versatile and enjoyable performances, while John C. Reilly delivers his most touching dramatic role ever. Philip Seymour Hoffman is also so empathetic and kind. You feel his acting in your soul. William H. Macy is wonderful. Julieanne Moore continues her endless string of brilliant dramatic roles. Magnolia is perfectly cast.

Magnolia may be odd, but its originality and creativity know no bounds. Check it out if you can handle delicate subject matter. The drama is worth watching.
May 22, 2018
Darkly comic, sometimes depressing, and filled with stunning performances from an ensemble cast that shine, Paul Thomas Anderson directs with fierce and ambitious force and focus that makes 'Magnolia' a masterpiece that is hard to define, as it is to forget.
May 15, 2018
Despite it's 3h runtime, what a movie.
½ May 10, 2018
I remember thinking this was special when it came out - I was about 19 at the time. Watching it again in my 30s, I'm so disappointed. So much overacting, and some pretty caricatured roles. There is potential here - it starts out well but starts to unravel. it didn't need to be so long. Once the scene where they all sing the same song came on, it was like the last straw. There are a few scenes with some brilliance - the interview with Tom Cruise's character comes to mind. However some are so terribly written - the cop's romance is so unbelievable. I was surprised to find it's the same director as There Will Be Blood. I guess he's really developed his game since this.