Magnolia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

M-F-O

8.8

[Paul Thomas Anderson]
½ December 24, 2017
just a complete swing and a miss in my opinion. i feel like i saw a different movie compare to how other people liked it. i think it had many poor "indie" tropes and came out at a time where this may have been a good indie for mainstream audiences bridge? boring and un-emotive.
December 15, 2017
This film, from my very first happy experience as a viewer thereof, firmly ensconced itself in the uppermost ranks of my personal film pantheon.

In fact, I was so especially taken by both the level of individual excellence obviously achieved by each of the key players on the production side of the film as well as the overarching emotional gestalt & great burgeoning catharsis successfully encapsulated within the framework of the stories therein that it still takes me by startled surprise when I stumble across 'professional' film critics who seem completely oblivious to (what certainly seems to me to be) the numerous praiseworthy aspects of said film.

The deliberate pacing in this movie, coupled with the slow-burn of it's characters' journeys towards not only each other but also towards a more profound and deeply-introspective understanding of their own core selves culminates in an immensely satisfying climax that goes a considerable distance towards providing a vicarious cathartic release for the viewer fortunate enough to find themselves as thoroughly entranced as was I during that initial experience.

In addition, the casting choices were both pleasantly unusual and, ultimately, inspired; here we see actors/actresses cast in roles which at first appear to be completely counterintuitive in regards to their established pattern of successful character portrayals in past projects. It is, perhaps, precisely because of this unfamiliarity of character assignment that I was able to so thoroughly lose myself in the unraveling sequence of events without constantly having those quick magic-dispelling reality checks where all I can do is rate a performer's ability to play a particular character instead of being able to forget that the actor is in fact anyone other than the current role in which they have been cast.

I could spend inordinate amounts of additional time expounding on the further accomplishments of this movie, but can presumably make due with simply doing my best to honor the heart of this work by once again assuring potential watchers that this is a masterwork of modern cinema and a powerful & beautiful celluloid dissection of questionable circumstance, overt acknowlegment, personal responsibility, hidden motivation, inner growth, and the promise & hope of eventual healing.

I cannot speak highly enough of this movie and encourage all who have even remotely considered taking in this film to do themselves the immense favor of finally doing so.

I cannot see how you would possibly be disappointed once having done so.
December 13, 2017
A sad movie that might be doing too much, taking away from an otherwise emotional experience. Nevertheless, the story weaves together the characters and storylines seamlessly. Shout out to Tom too.
½ December 9, 2017
Absolutely brilliant film. I think being such a big fan of boogie nights it almost ruins it a bit for me. The actors and similarities are so close to contrast. Acting and the plot are genius.
December 8, 2017
The movie didn't grab me much, but I enjoyed a few of the character's story. I turned it off half way. 1/5
November 28, 2017
I too liked Magnolia because the critics told me to. Actually I didn't. This film figured to how to make potentially interesting, boring. It was a lot of clutter that was very loosely stiched together. This pile of garbage was passed off as being extremely clever under the guise that it was avant-garde. It isn't. This was nothing new. It's only unique quality was in how poorly it was executed. I don't know who funded this, I'm not bothering to look it up. They are idiots and the money would have served a better purpose being burned in a giant pile. That would have been more watchable. They must have spent a ton on advertising and bribing critics to turn any profit. The money spent on the soundtrack was the only real intelligent investment and that would have been much better spent on real writers. I watched this movie again recently, thinking that I had never seen it before, wondering how that could have happened. I rewatched it and slowly remembered why. I had forgotten almost everything. It is just that forgettable. I also must have put some effort into forgetting it so as to not let it poison my brain, because I had watched it a few times before. I honestly can't wait till the next time I forget it. But I wrote this review as a reminder so that I may never be burdened again with it. I hope this review stops you from making the same mistake I did, watching it ever in the first place. Over the top performances by actors are usually something to be seen, but this film showed some of the most terrible performances that any of these people have ever done in their lives. I lost so much respect for everyone who was in it. It wasn't their fault though. They were written and directed, by the same person, to do so. Total trash. This film should have ended everyone's careers, but insead it recieved accolades. It must have been the kind of spin artists who conviced people we won the Vietnam war. Oh, I got it. For those that may accuse me of "not getting it". I just happen to be able to be honest, while being tasetful, and courageous enough to tell the truth about what I had seen. This movie is just an example of how the power of critics can destroy the future of culture. People do not have their own opinions. They are followers. The human behaviour experiments, the salem witch trials, the Third Reich. You critics keep telling people that this is good and we are gonna see more like it. Poison the world. I have a review for any critic that positively reviewed this movie. These critics are human garbage who are playing off of your insecurities and trying to pretend they are more intelligent than you. Be honest with yourself. Was this good storytelling? The characters were empty, pointless, and unrealistic. They were like watching animated scenery, and a poor personification at that. The whole movie, the plot, start to finish, the characters and their choices, all seemed extremely contrived pretentious nonsense. This is the worst kind of elitist arthouse crap. I'm not saying that I have disliked all arthouse style films. I am saying, that if people lived in an actual art house, this would be what they would flush down the toilet.

The one negative about this review process is that I can't rate it lower.
October 25, 2017
A deeply emotional and human journey through the ups and downs of many, many lives. The threads that run through each story truly make them all feel like one, creating the most satisfying ensemble film I think I've ever seen.
½ September 26, 2017
PT Anderson magically injects a pace that works for such a long film. The sometimes surprising cuts back and forth between the various stories helps keep things moving but also can be distracting and disjointing. If anything, making this as a 8 hour mini-series may have been better. Also, what's up with the frogs?
½ September 13, 2017
If I could have stopped watching Magnolia at about the two and a half hour mark, and just guessed at what would happen over the last half hour, I think my feelings about the movie would be much more positive. They establish a cornucopia of interesting characters, played by amazing actors. They give us a ton of different plots and subplots that all engaged me. They even set up, in the opening narration, the promise of a truly special conclusion. I was on board, fully invested, and ready to be wowed. That?s about when Paul Thomas Anderson decided to become an artiste. He actively plays against expectations, flying in the face of what a normal audience would want, and gives pointless insanity. I?m sure some people who love symbolism, metaphor, and ambiguous artistic expression will have a totally different view on this (and the high critic scores show that.) However for a dumb-dumb like me it takes what I was enjoying as an engaging realistic drama, and throws it into surreal land. The tone and style swing is so dramatic that I needed a neck brace to avoid whiplash. There are a few other choices made by Anderson that annoyed me, like some dialogue that was too quiet and music playing loudly over that dialogue, but those are minor quibbles. My review is a tale of two movies, the one I was enjoying, and the one it turned into. It?s hard to know how to rate something like this because it was great until it became bonkers.
September 8, 2017
****
Truly unlike anything else, 'Magnolia' is one of those movies that stays with you long after watching it. Fantastic performances and a heartbreaking script from P.T. Anderson come together to create something emotional and profoundly original.
August 31, 2017
Amazing performances and Paul Thomas Anderson demonstrates his love of actors in this film, letting them explore all sorts of insane and brilliant nuances of generally unlikable characters. The biblical ending was also a stroke of genius.
August 17, 2017
Fantastic movie. This is a film with such a large ambition from its up-and-coming director, and it reaches every height it aims for with intelligent writing, interlapping stories done right, compelling characters and phenomenal performances from its entire ensemble cast, resulting in a masterpiece only Anderson could deliver.
August 16, 2017
Darkly comic, sometimes depressing, and filled with stunning performances from an ensemble cast that shine, Paul Thomas Anderson directs with fierce and ambitious force and focus that makes 'Magnolia' a masterpiece that is hard define, as it is to forget.
August 14, 2017
One of the greatest movies of all time in my honest opinion. Absolute masterpiece that will make you feel pretty much all of the possible human emotions all in one movie.
July 16, 2017
To put it short, Magnolia may be my favorite PTA film. I love this movie. A+
July 5, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is an artsy movie about tragedy in peoples lives and how they cope with it. All the stories blend together in a beautiful tangle between fate and karma, and even though it is 3 hours in length, it left me wanting more.
½ July 2, 2017
I struggle with P.T. Anderson films. When I saw Magnolia in the theater in 1999, I left hating the film for the most part. It just didn't make sense. It was so long. And the frogs at the end was the clincher for being completely insane and over the top. But over the nearly two decades since, P.T. Anderson and this film have gradually got to me. I think it's partly just maturity as a human being and as a cinephile that has brought me to see past some of the warts and wrinkles in this movie, and appreciate it more for its intentions than its actions.

So it's gone from 2 stars to 3.5 stars, to where I can appreciate what it's trying to do even if I don't think it does it in the best way it could.
June 26, 2017
I Will Still Get Movies On DVD Until My Collection Will Get Full.
½ June 23, 2017
I surmise that there is real genius here, however the film succumbs by being crushed under it's own weight.