Mama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mama Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
There were very good scenes,
It was pretty scary to watch
And I just love the way that Guillemero Del toro does the creation of Art & Light, But the problem with this film is the ending, They think it was happy but it actually was not, This is not the film i wanna see again,
I'm not saying it's awful I'm saying this movie could have done better.

Score: 5/10
½ July 15, 2016
This movie was very weird to start off. It had creepy moments, but that's not where this movie shines. the best part of this movie is the relationship building between Jessica Chastain and the girls. The characters make sense, but it could have been a little more fluid. It happens kinda fast, but it's still good. The creepy stuff is creepy enough, but it is a lot of CGI from what I can tell which can take one out of the moment. the only other big thing about this movie is the ending which is weird. I'm not gonna spoil, but it's just kinda like, "huh?".
July 15, 2016
Its another horror movie!
It follows point for point other horror movies of the time.
Really caring guy who doesn't do anything but is there in spirit, Doctor who goes too far, Snobby person who dies, Character who doesn't care but changes their heart, Ghost is looking for their (insert thing here), etc.
It's just another jump scare after jump scare PG-13 horror flick.
I guess it could have been worse, but that'a about it.
June 18, 2016
So overrated bc hardly frightening & terribly cheesy ending that leaves a staunch odour in your mouth :)
June 9, 2016
Reading the reviews you realise people aren't watching closely. Superbly filmed and story well paced. Makes absolute sense. Ending is just brilliant, compared to the Babadook, Insidious and Conjuring the acting is good and you don't just want the kids to die
½ June 9, 2016
Quite underrated if I'm honest. Better story and acting than 90% of modern horror movies
May 20, 2016
The plot may get dull,but this film is more for entertaining jump scares,and a intense mystery plot.
½ May 20, 2016
I was going to say that this was the first movie to ever make me root for a child to die. But then I remembered Jerry Maguire.

2.5 stars for creep factor and some decent performances. But the storyline was weak and it dragged on waaaaaaayyyy too long.
April 28, 2016
Mama is Guillermo Del Toro latest work in which shows why he is one of the great horror film directors out there;as he uses great camera angles and sound effects to created suspense and mystery, However, the story never truly evolves or captivates as it's supporting characters felt lost in the story. In the end, Mama is a decent horror film.
April 14, 2016
This film has beautiful potential to be something so much more than it is. The effects, over all story, and characters lack in some areas; but the beauty of the story remains. In essence, this is a story about parental love and the love of a child for their parent. It's focuses on love, loss, and how to hold on against something that you cannot fight. Considering that it's basis is on a very short film, I say that this is well done and beautifully handled.
½ April 9, 2016
A rare effects-driven horror film that delivers on scares, a chilling atmosphere and ace performances.
½ March 15, 2016
So you can make enjoyable jump scares.
March 14, 2016
3/5, not enough black mass.
February 27, 2016
Good movie kept u on ur toes.
February 20, 2016
Após o fraco boneco do mal, encontrei algo bem melhor neste aqui, que é bonzinho. Inicialmente não estava curtindo muito a história (mais um caso de espírito que precisa resolver/reparar algo no mundo material para se libertar), mas, aos poucos, foi se instaurando o clima de tensão e vieram bons sustos. As meninas são ótimas e Mama, ao contrário do bonequinho do mal, não quer saber de brincadeira.
February 14, 2016
When two little girls are whisked away by their father to an unknown location you know there is trouble at mill. So sit back & let the story unfold. Modern adaptation 2015. Very well shot and scripting is good! The main characters are realistic and quirky enough to keep you interested and will appeal to a wide audience . The investigation into what happened to the girls done by Annabelle (Jessica Chastain) The Dr (Daniel Cash) & Lucas Nikolaj Coster) is well enough to keep you guessing. However a little rushed & laid on a plate. So all in all pretty good. The ending not so good but still an easy going phantasmal ghost story that wont freak you out to much. Only for the ending It gets big marks off.
February 13, 2016
It's Guillermo del Toro, so enjoy the visuals and the heart of the premise of the story, ignore the surrounding noise.
February 6, 2016
Del Toro presents Mama , a good horror flick that seems to slow down and fall apart completely by the end. I have to say though that this is one of my favorite performances by Jessica Chastain and a amazing cast altogether. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it for horror lovers.
½ February 1, 2016
one of the most atmospheric films ive ever seen with a truly creepy story. ending was a small bit dissapointing
January 25, 2016
The first horror movie I saw in theaters and I wasn't disappointed one bit.