Mama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mama Reviews

June 10, 2018
Harmi että mielenkiintoisesti alkava ja pahaenteistä tunnelmaa tasaisesti kohottava leffa aavistuksen lässähtää lopussa.
½ May 8, 2018
Strong in atmosphere, as it is in story progression, the film's gothic elements suffice enough to endure and compensate for the lack of genuinely interesting characters, clichés, and as well as the inefficiency of some dated special effects, but its old school feeling should be enough for this humble-yet-partially effective horror/haunted house flick, potentially launching promising director Andy Muschietti's career by the hand of producer, Guillermo Del Toro.
May 8, 2018
The premise is quite interesting and the first half wonderful uncomfortable. The Actors are doing a good job and there are a few neat jump scares. Much creepier is the sound design, though, which makes for an outrageously creepy scene, together with a camera flash. Unfortunately, the more often and the longer you see the monster, the more its CGI is obvious, which kinda takes you out of the experience. The showdown on a cliff looks like a classic goth setting but ends at least somewhat surprisingly. Not bad for a scary evening but with some wasted potential as far as the creature is concerned.
April 13, 2018
Very creepy for me. Great acting and realistic effects. I totally recommend watching.
March 27, 2018
I was so excited for this be made into a full-length film after watching the short film that preceded it. It was absolutely terrifying and I expected the same from this movie. Dear god was I wrong. "Mama" is NOTHING like the amazing short film that inspired it. It relies completely on a CGI shadow/ghost and jump scares. The story is incredibly empty. It was a typical Hollywood adaptation that sucked away everything that made the original special.
March 19, 2018
Had it's moments, but the plot was overall confusing and lacked a solid backstory. Also, the jumpscares were underwealming and lacked context.
February 26, 2018
So overrated bc hardly frightening & terribly cheesy ending that leaves a staunch odour in your mouth.
February 18, 2018
Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nélisse have promising careers in this horror!

This movie starts with a long sequence of drawings that are fairly bizarre and then we are hit with the plot of the show which is enticing. Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nélisse's performance throughout the movie is gripping and professional, a lot of people will recognise Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as dastardly Jamie from Game of Thrones but he is out-acted here (but he is good in his role as well as Jessica Chastain.

The story is fairly slow for a lot of audiences and there aren't any particular 'jump scares' that are thrown at the audience, there are lots of subtle hints in there and important parts that build up to what I thought a good finale. A lot of people I feel will struggle to understand the ending and with the slow build up if they haven't got into that I can imagine that the ending will leave people feeling they want more.
Not your typical horror movie but as a fairly modern horror I thought it was interesting and worthy;

Pro Negative
+ Emotional Ending - CGI Looks Dated
+ Solid Acting - Story Can Be Slow
+ Less Cliche Than Other Horror Flicks
February 5, 2018
Love it! Jessica Chastain is awesome!
January 27, 2018
"Contrived plot devices"? Get over it, if you can't suspend disbelief during a horror movie you might as well stick to documentaries (because they're objective and never skewed, right?). If I'd seen this before "It" I would have had more confidence in Andy Muschietti's talents.
January 12, 2018
Here we have a really interesting idea and some enjoyable moments, but that's all. Mama is one of the basic in the horror genre.
January 11, 2018
andy muschietti,s mama gets an 4/10
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Conmovedora y bien narrada. A pesar de no ser un gran exponente del género del terror, Mama encuentra la fórmula para entretener en una mezcla extrañamente efectiva.
½ November 19, 2017
Not The Best U should probobly watch another one
½ October 27, 2017
A wonderfully crafted horror that feels very familiar, but ends up not being nice at all. Great acting by the kids and the leads, and the Mama ghost was wonderfully creepy. That ending... haunting.
September 27, 2017
If only the second half of the movie, was as good as the first half, which isn't really saying much, if I were to really think about it
September 25, 2017
Poor editing seems determined to kill any tension created and some rather odd plot devices just made Mama feel pretentious. Despite of this however, Mama didn't feel like it was dragging, even if the pacing was off. Overall its not worth paying for but if you have nothing better on your netflix list then this could be one for a rainy day.
½ September 25, 2017
I seem in cinema years ago and enjoyed it but after rewatching it I find it silly and in scary
September 22, 2017
I didn´t found it scary, but nevertheless ended up crying.
½ September 11, 2017
didn't care for it. liked the intro though.