Mama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mama Reviews

February 18, 2018
Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nélisse have promising careers in this horror!

This movie starts with a long sequence of drawings that are fairly bizarre and then we are hit with the plot of the show which is enticing. Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nélisse's performance throughout the movie is gripping and professional, a lot of people will recognise Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as dastardly Jamie from Game of Thrones but he is out-acted here (but he is good in his role as well as Jessica Chastain.

The story is fairly slow for a lot of audiences and there aren't any particular 'jump scares' that are thrown at the audience, there are lots of subtle hints in there and important parts that build up to what I thought a good finale. A lot of people I feel will struggle to understand the ending and with the slow build up if they haven't got into that I can imagine that the ending will leave people feeling they want more.
Not your typical horror movie but as a fairly modern horror I thought it was interesting and worthy;

Pro Negative
+ Emotional Ending - CGI Looks Dated
+ Solid Acting - Story Can Be Slow
+ Less Cliche Than Other Horror Flicks
February 5, 2018
Love it! Jessica Chastain is awesome!
January 27, 2018
"Contrived plot devices"? Get over it, if you can't suspend disbelief during a horror movie you might as well stick to documentaries (because they're objective and never skewed, right?). If I'd seen this before "It" I would have had more confidence in Andy Muschietti's talents.
January 12, 2018
Here we have a really interesting idea and some enjoyable moments, but that's all. Mama is one of the basic in the horror genre.
January 11, 2018
andy muschietti,s mama gets an 4/10
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Conmovedora y bien narrada. A pesar de no ser un gran exponente del género del terror, Mama encuentra la fórmula para entretener en una mezcla extrañamente efectiva.
½ November 19, 2017
Not The Best U should probobly watch another one
½ October 27, 2017
A wonderfully crafted horror that feels very familiar, but ends up not being nice at all. Great acting by the kids and the leads, and the Mama ghost was wonderfully creepy. That ending... haunting.
September 27, 2017
If only the second half of the movie, was as good as the first half, which isn't really saying much, if I were to really think about it
September 25, 2017
Poor editing seems determined to kill any tension created and some rather odd plot devices just made Mama feel pretentious. Despite of this however, Mama didn't feel like it was dragging, even if the pacing was off. Overall its not worth paying for but if you have nothing better on your netflix list then this could be one for a rainy day.
½ September 25, 2017
I seem in cinema years ago and enjoyed it but after rewatching it I find it silly and in scary
September 22, 2017
I didn´t found it scary, but nevertheless ended up crying.
½ September 11, 2017
didn't care for it. liked the intro though.
September 10, 2017
A decent horror film that was good and bad but mostly a good over all film
September 9, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

September 7, 2017
Good scary flick with some decent character stuff. Didn't agree with everything done in the finale but it was interesting ride to get there.
½ August 29, 2017
While it is filled with cliches and uneven scares,plus some uneven cgi. Mama is a solid haunted house movie with solid acting,some great scares and a sympathetic ghost. Also I wish this movie was rated R.
½ August 21, 2017
6.5/10 It's Guillermo del Toro, so enjoy the visuals and the heart of the premise of the story, ignore the surrounding noise.
½ August 19, 2017
Mama is well acted and scary, but there are huge plot holes that keep it from truly delivering.
½ August 13, 2017
Subtle in its scares and supported by a rock solid storyline, Mama is the horror film cliche definition, but it makes good use of its premise and adds little twists and turns in between. Jessica Chastain was good as always, but Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones (I don't feel like trying to spell his real name) really surprised me as the character I was drawn to the most, despite his absence for a large portion of the film. The effects for the ghost were really well done, and I enjoyed the good amount of scares in the last act. The film crawls out the starting gate though, and that is its biggest flaw, but it picks up more and more speed, until the ending, which admittedly still isn't super fast, but it does the job for me. Mama is a solid film, although it does sometimes feel a little too much like the corny horror film from the 80's